This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

TdM: Aoife & Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown
Sage

TdM: Aoife & Charlie Brown

Post by Charlie Brown »

Here is our thread.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Aoife
Sybil

Re: TdM: Aoife & Charlie Brown

Post by Aoife »

Thanks, Charlie.
Would you prefer I use the Noblet, Grimaud or Conver repro?
I've re-read the instructions thread and think I understand.
Do you have your question?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hi Aoife,

I don't have a question yet, but I'll post one soon. The choice of deck is really up to you but, since you asked, I guess I'd be in favor of the Noblet.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hi Aoife,

I'm thinking of taking a trip with my family. What should I look for in a destination?
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Hi Charlie Brown, I'm presuming that this would be a holiday... a break without a specific purpose other than leisure?
As for the key card, the obvious might be the Fool, but I don't feel it's an appropriate fit for the question. I think a Cavalier - one who journeys on behalf of his 'family' - might be more appropriate, but I'm not able to decide which domain. I'm inclined to let fate take a hand and simply choose the first to show his face. Do you have any views about this?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Yes, I suppose you could call it a holiday. I don't know what exactly qualifies as a purpose, but I could possibly visit some family or some friends or try and find something that's generally educational to do. But, yes, primarily leisure.

As far as key cards, I could see the Fool, Chariot, Wheel, or World. If you did want to go with a minor, it seems to me that a cup would be most appropriate: Ace, 9, or Knight.

Since you don't think the Fool is appropriate, then I'd imagine either the World or the Ace of Cups.
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Hi Charlie Brown,
Your question concerned a family trip, and you asked what you should look for in a destination.

We discussed the key card. I rejected the Fool because ‘destination’ was central to your question and, for me, the Fool has no destination. You suggested the suit of Cups, perhaps indicating the importance of pleasure, rather than ‘purpose’ per se? But family trips are hoped to be a happy time, a coming together, free from mundane constraints. A time for making memories. Very much in the realm of Cups.

Yet you had also spoken of a possible educational purpose, and extending beyond the immediate family, maybe to visit wider family and friends. It therefore seemed best to follow your lead and choose a key card to encompass a wider remit. Hence, The World with its connotation of discovery and freedom.

Using the Noblet, the cards were as follows:
Roy de Bastons, 8 of Cups, The World, 8 of Swords, 2 of Coins
Interesting to note that all of the suits are represented.

To sound a note of caution: the shape of the number 8, twice represented here, like the infinity symbol, can suggest a ‘going round in circles’. I’m always loath to give advice in readings, but here I would suggest double-checking your route.

You confirmed that the trip is to be primarily leisure, a time when we’re inclined to relax and let our guard down. Because the first thing I notice here is a potential pregnancy. The central mandorla in the World, echoed in the 8 of Swords but this time with a central ‘embryo’ [two petals each of different colours symbolising the joining of cells], develops into the 2 of Coins [symbolising cell division and ‘blossoming’]. But of course, this may not be representative of a physical pregnancy, but rather the birthing of a new idea, project or mindset. Whatever - this trip suggests a very fertile opportunity.
IMG_0115.jpg
Also of note is the mirroring between the King of Bastons and The World.
IMG_0114.jpg
The King is young, sumptuously dressed; his baton is large, dominant and ornate. The World ‘dancer’ is virtually naked, their baton far simpler and smaller. Perhaps the ‘dancer’ says, “step down from your cushioned throne, throw off constraints and bring only what is necessary”? Perhaps s/he suggests he steps out of his comfort zone?

Looking at the King and 2 of Coins together makes me wonder whether in workaday life you’re required to conform to a dress code, or maybe wear a uniform, which you can cast off for the holiday. The unfurling in the 2 of Coins and the King’s ‘height of fashion’ garb maybe suggests you get to wear clothes for the trip which you find more freeing, maybe more attractive?
IMG_0116.jpg
There’s a sense of eagerness about this King, as though he’s poised to propel himself forward. I often speak of holidays being an opportunity to ‘reset my dials’. The 2 of Coins may earlier have been enclosed. Perhaps the King uses the sharp point of his baton to break the constraining band around the coins, which can then blossom and flourish? Maybe this trip - this change of scene - will serve to present new ideas, a different mindset or maybe another way of looking at old issues. Maybe the breaking of a deadlock of some sort, or breaking free from something stultifying?

The 8 of Cups suggests a family tree - the central two cups representing you and your partner, those above and below the generations before and those to come. But the stems and foliage create division between the individual cups. Maybe this represents how the relationship between a couple gets subsumed into the whole of the wider extended family? In some families, this would be the ties which bind individuals closely, lovingly together. In other families these can be constraints, secrets and separations between individuals. There’s a sense of a lot of people, each with their own agenda.
IMG_0117.jpg
The floral buds in the 8 of Swords are separated from the central flower by the tight mesh of swords. There’s no source of sustenance for the foliage. I’ve heard the card described as representing defensiveness. As with the 8 of Cups, there’s a lot going on… a lot to think about.

The number 8 relates to Justice, and interestingly Justice holds in one hand a sword, in the other the pans of the scales suggest cups. What is obvious is that she ’has her hands full’. I’m always very struck by her elbow nudging the scales, and the Thothian title of Adjustment for this card. These things suggest to me that it might not be a very relaxing time for you - maybe you’ll need to make uncomfortable adjustments to fit in with the wants of others.

Taking the 8s of Cups and Swords together, what comes to mind is ‘whose family would you visit - yours or your partners? If both, would the visits be considered equal? Because there could be potential for misunderstanding or disagreement, particularly as there would seem to be little space for you and your partner together.

I didn’t get a hit on educational pursuits from these cards, but maybe you’ll see that and other things I’ve missed. But I hope the reading has been of some use and that your trip is a happy and relaxing one!
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Sorry about the poor photos and messy layout - still learning
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Thanks for the reading, Aoife. The part about the two families was, I think, especially relevant and astute. I was also appreciative of the suggestion that I check the route. I like that kind of reading in these sorts of exercises.

Yes, new ideas and something a bit different and freeing. That is very much a good idea. We have a lot of routine here in the Charlie Brown household between Peppermint Patty's heavy work hours and little Snoopy. As the later Frederick Mercury once said, "I Want to Break Free." There are some good reasons that we might want to head out towards some family type people but your warnings were right on the nose, I think, and such a journey also might not fulfill your other recommendations. It's leading me to think that maybe I can find a bit of liberation close to home before venturing out into that whole mess.

Seeing the King of Wands looking at the World dancer makes me think of Las Vegas. :lol:
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Thanks for the feedback, Charlie Brown. Glad the reading was of some use... although the King and World dancer at Vegas is boggling my mind - not sure I'll ever be able to unsee that :lol:

Return to “Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”