Sacred Days of Yule - Diana

Diana
Sage

Sacred Days of Yule - Diana

Post by Diana »

Day 1

1. Mother Night of Dreams - Dec 20th
This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

I'm using the Tarocchi di Vetro, known in English as the Crystals Tarot, but it's a much nicer name in Italian.

LA PAPESSA II

La Papessa.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
I will lay me down
When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
I will lay me down
I will lay me down
Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
I will ease your mind

Day 2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

IL MATTO (Fool)

Il Matto.jpg

As the Papesse on Day 1 of these Sacred Days foretold and warned me of some rather challenging times ahead for me this year, here comes The Fool to help me out. He's telling me I was born free and will die free, but in between it's up to me. However, that freedom is my birthright and I can claim it any time.

The Papesse brought to my remembrance that God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The Fool is bringing to my remembrance that where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So if I want to be free, I know where I must abide.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Re: Sacred Days of Yule - Diana

Post by Diana »

Day 1 and 2 were put in the same post as the Papesse was warning me about challenging times ahead this year and then told me how to get through this.

Day 3's message will also stand me in good stead.

Day 3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

I had a bit of a difficulty with this Day 3. Because I'm not sure I have any dreams. So I thought long and hard. The only dream I think I really have is to not feel burdened by the stuff that life throws at us sometimes. So with that in mind, I drew a card and it is :

FANTE DI COPPA (Page of Cups)

Fante di Coppe.jpg

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

There is nothing more important for me than Love (charity). My heart overflows with it - it's the Ace of Cups that provides an infinite source. But one can always do "better". I will ponder more on Love. It will be my guide and my lantern. And if I fail at times, which I surely will, well I would like to learn to love myself in spite of that. Self-forgiveness is a most difficult thing for me and one of my biggest struggles. I can forgive everyone their failures and human weaknesses. But I am unable to forgive myself for my failures, even the tiniest ones. They haunt me - like spectral ghosts of the past pointing their fingers at me in accusation.

My spiritual mentor told me once that the only thing that is necessary for self-forgiveness is to forgive myself for having forgotten that I am never separated from God.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

These Sacred Days of Yule are starting to become rather intense for me. I was not expecting such hard lessons. I hate the word "lesson". Reminds me of school and all the rubbish that they try and put in our heads and often succeed.

But anyway, I mustn't see them as lessons. I must see them as opportunities for spiritual growth - that's the only reasonable way of looking at them, otherwise it makes no sense. Man was not born to cry.

But if the cards continue in the same vein till the end of these Sacred Days readings, I'm going to really have to go deep deep inside.

I trust the Tarot implicitly. So she can bring it on... I'm ready. I must trust that she will not ask me to do more than I am capable of right now. Because she knows I'm very tired and need some rest. But of course she knows. The Papesse has a book and in her Book there is everything written.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 4 : Hopi Time of Renewal - Dec 23rd
This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

2 of Swords

2 Spade.jpg

One Sword is facing upwards, the other down. The ground between them is cracked. There’s something broken.

Man is always seeking a power, a power to overcome something or destroy something; and therefore he is not living in the awareness of God, because in the realization of the presence of God there is no need to overcome, to destroy, or to do anything. (Joel S. Goldsmith)

In other words, resist not evil (but don't be too sure of the "good" either. The truth, the reality is elsewhere - My Kingdom is not of this world.)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th
This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

I had to rephrase this because the Christ was never born. It has always been. "Before Abraham was, I am". I'm not Christian either.

I had to also rephrase yesterday's Sacred Day, as it wasn't something I could relate to entirely. So the last sentence for Day 5 for me is "It is also a time to reflect on the Christ".

7 DENARI (Coins)

7 Denari.jpg

7 is a nice number to pull for a reading like this. Very appropriate of the Tarot. Each of the coins in this card is different. Those in the fertile soil are my ancestors - the paternal and maternal side. Those above in the bright warm sunlight represent my little family - the mother, the father and the son (sun also - as it looks a sun).

There is no need to go delving into the ground and to ask anything of the elders, the Tarot is telling me. That is not my concern. She is telling me that the life and truth and wisdom and guidance that gave sustenance to my ancestors is exactly the same as I have now and it's the same for my son and for the future generations. It's the same life force and I can draw on it equally. The Tarot is reminding me that it's not in the past that I will find the truth because it's all just one long continuum. Whatever they had, I have and even more abundantly. Because the Master Jesus/Jeshua (I wonder if they changed his name because it was too "Jewish sounding") said : I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. Now of course the word "I" is not a synonym of Jesus. It's the Christ mind, the Buddha mind, or whatever term one wishes to give it. If "I am the way and the truth and the life" referred to Jesus, this would be most peculiar indeed. Silly even. Many (most?) Christians believe that however it seems. Such a shame. What a waste of wisdom.

There's also something the Tarot is telling me here about death (not the figurative one). At first glance she's saying that there is no such thing as death, but as I know that already I don't know why she would be wasting her time informing me of this. Maybe I'll understand the message later in the day or at the end of the Sacred Days when the whole picture appears of the tapestry being woven. The Papesse on Day 1 warned me that I'll be facing something difficult this year. And I've been having the urge to clean out my literal cupboards and closet lately. 🧹
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

This post will be updated daily. I have the desire to make a resume of these Days. I want to see what kind of picture is emerging from this tapestry that is being created here. Something is being embroidered here and I want to see its birth. I want to see the picture appearing gradually until the last stitch has been made.

So here goes.

Day 1: LA PAPESSA II
La Papessa.jpg

God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
And the evening and the morning were the first day.

and also Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_a46WJ1viA

Day 2: IL MATTO (Fool)
Il Matto.jpg

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Day 3. FANTE DI COPPA (Page of Cups)
Fante di Coppe.jpg

True forgiveness is the ability to forgive oneself for ever
believing that there is anything other than God; for ever
having believed that you are separated from It.

Also, 1 Corinthians 13 (KJV)

DAY 4: 2 SPADE (2 of Swords)
2 Spade.jpg

Man is always seeking a power, a power to overcome something
or destroy something; and therefore he is not living in the awareness
of God, because in the realization of the presence of God there is no
need to overcome, to destroy, or to do anything.

DAY 5: 7 DENARI (7 of Coins)
7 Denari.jpg

I have come that they may have life, and that they
may have it more abundantly.

Also this card I think hints at some kind of death and
may have a connection with the Papessa (Day 1).
Also, the same source that sustained my ancestors
sustains me and all. No need to go anywhere to
look for it.

DAY 6: L'IMPERATRICE (Empress)
Impératrice.jpg

Rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but
rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

DAY 7: CAVALIERI DI COPPE (Knight of Cups)
Cavaleiere di Coppa.jpg

I will never leave you nor forsake you.
Wither thou goest, I goest.

Yes, sure. That I will remember most certainly.
But the question here is of another nature,
more of an earthly type :
Where is the Knight going ? And why is he/she
leaving ? It's unsettling.

DAY 8: 2 OF SWORDS
2 Spade.jpg

Alice's conversation with the Caterpillar.
https://sabian.org/alice_in_wonderland5.php

DAY 9: 6 OF BATONS I took the TdM card to compare with the Tarocchi di Vetro one, and it's far superior so I switched.
6 Bastons TdM.jpg

The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me.

Day 10: XI LA FORZA (Strength)
La Forza.jpg

In quietness and in confidence shall be thy strength.

Day 11: LE STELLE XVIII (Star)
Le Stelle.jpg

Cast thy bread upon the waters:
for thou shalt find it after many days.
Ecclesisastes 11 KJV

Day 12:XVI LA TORRE (Maison-Dieu/Tower)
The Tarocchi di Vetro Tower is useless. So I'm using the TdM.
Maison Dieu grimaud.jpg

Rancid Indestructible.

Time to get back to some other roots.
Headphone volume up.

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Diana, what a beautiful deck. But I thought you didn't traffic in cards like these.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Charlie Brown wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 15:40 Diana, what a beautiful deck. But I thought you didn't traffic in cards like these.
It's an absolutely gorgeous deck. It's of European (Italian) origin, so doesn't have pictures on the minors. Also, to my delight I realised yesterday that 8 and 11 are in the right place. For some reason, I thought that they weren't. I've never used this deck much, preferring always a TdM, but it has always been a pure joy to read with when I have. Very accurate. But one has to pay attention to be very objective. The beauty of the pictures can mask the "reversed" side and one can if one is not discerning see things in a more positive manner than one should. It's the Tarot di Vetro. The Glass Tarot. Glass must be spotless to see clearly.

The English title "The Crystals Tarot" is an awful shame. Vetro in Italian means "glass". Maybe there was a copyright issue. But I would lay my bets on some dumb decision by the publisher.

The Fool card is the artist's reproduction of a photograph of Nijinksy, one of the greatest 20th century Russian ballet dancers - but he considered himself to be Polish. He was born in Kiev in the Russian Empire, of Polish parents.

Nijinsky.jpg
Il Matto.jpg

I've never seen such a Fool in any tarot deck ever. It can be put in the Pantheon of Fools. It could even replace the TdM fool if necessary - like if the TdM fool goes on a little holiday somewhere and a replacement is needed while he's in the desert riding a camel or somewhere.

When I started exploring the Tarot I did buy a number of different decks. Even a Tarot of the Gnomes which was cute but absolutely useless. Before I joined Aeclectic - which was soon after my interest in Tarot began - I'd never even heard of an RWS deck or that it had clones and imitations, nor any of the other kinds of traditions. I thought Tarot was only Tarot of Marseilles. So naturally I did go exploring a bit. I remember right in the beginning I had a Unicorn deck which I did quite a few readings with and took very seriously. I blush now and hang my head in shame. 😰 Luckily I came to my senses quickly. 🧐 But I'm not sure that that didn't give me a bad karma point, maybe even two.

I sold most of them. There's only one I do regret selling. Very much so. It's the Enchanted Tarot by Amy Zerner. It's just so beautiful. Made with fabric, by quilting and applique according to the description. And I enjoyed the readings I did with it at the time. But there were too many errors in it so I stopped and just used it for looking at the pictures like a sort of little art gallery. And then I stupidly sold it. I should have kept it just for the artwork. There is a re-edition but I liked my old deck and book. They were a bit magical.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th
This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

I don’t see much difference between this Day’s instructions and Day 2 which were “This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without”.

I’m using mostly the wisdom of Bible passages for these Sacred Days of Yule. I’m not a pagan, so I had to adapt these Sacred Days of Yule so they make sense for me on my spiritual path. I had to read up on Yule even as I didn't really know what this term encompassed.

I thought I’d make a theme of these days, so use the same Scriptures or kinds of writings all through. First I thought maybe I’d find a poem for each day, or a song especially as when I drew the first card La Papessa, the first thing that sprang to mind was a song (Bridge Over Troubled Water). I also thought maybe of using the Holy Quran to make things a bit different but I don't know it well enough so it wouldn't have been satisfactory - I don't know where to look so it would have been a bit haphasard. So I decided to use the Scriptures I’m the most familiar with which are the Old and New Testament of the Bible.

Today I drew :

III L’IMPERATRICE (Empress)

Impératrice.jpg

That reminded of the story when Jesus’s disciples returned all excited and proud after doing all sorts of miracles like healing the sick and casting out demons : ”And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.”

So Jesus rebuked them for saying this. He said “rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven. He had told them time and time again that “I of my own self can do nothing”. He must have got weary of repeating it sometimes.

Of my own self I can do nothing. If any miracles occur, they are not to my credit. I would have loved to have been a spiritual healer. But this only comes with an act of Grace and this has not been forthcoming. I will need to further my understanding of this passage. But not with any desire. True prayer is never an asking, more a seeking. And mostly a listening. And even more, an acknowledgement and recognition.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 7 : Yuletide, Kwanzaa - Dec 26th
This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

I'm expecting something startling here. I feel it in my bones. Something that's going to shake me up. I'm going to have a cigarette before drawing the card to calm my nerves.

CAVALIERI DI COPPE (Knight of Cups)

Cavaleiere di Coppa.jpg

The Knight is leaving the Cup - the place of nurturing. I wonder where he/she is going. And why he/she is leaving.

Oh my goodness me. This is rather disturbing. Especially when read in conjunction with some of the other cards of these Sacred Days. The Tarot from the start of these Sacred Days seems to be warning me about something.

I will never leave you nor forsake you. Whither thou goest, I goest. Even in the valley of the shadow of death, I will be with you. And where I stand is Holy Ground.

I will never leave you nor forsake you.

But where are you going brave and faithful Knight ?
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

I see that Freyja is a kind of Nordic Chariot as she drives a chariot pulled by two cats. She's a goddess associated with war, death, love, sex, beauty, fertility, gold, and seiðr. Seiðr was a type of sorcery practiced in Norse society during the Late Scandinavian Iron Age. The practice of seiðr is believed to be a form of magic relating to both the telling and shaping of the future.

Freyja with cats.jpg

Now this card should be more of a practical nature than the others. I have good hopes that impending death (mine???) and doom will be put aside today so that some other aspect of the year to come will be emphasised. So now I draw the card :

2 OF SWORDS.

2 Spade.jpg

This is the second time I've drawn this card for these Sacred Days. So that may have some significance which I'll check once all the readings have been completed. For now, I'll treat these more or less separately.

As in the first draw of this card, I am very much aware of the area between the two swords that looks like it's broken. As if there's something shattered.

This artistic and creative expression. As I've mentioned sometimes on CoT, I have always considered myself to be devoid of any artistic and creative talent. It's always been one of my great sorrows in fact. If it were a fairy tale, I'd be the one who didn't receive the visit from the Creative and Artistic Fairy Godmother when I was a babe in my cradle. Or the spell went wrong and it created a breakage. That left sword is the tricky one. If I pick it up, I'll cut myself - the hilt is too high for me to reach and anyway, to right that sword will be a mighty task - it looks heavy.
The left side of the brain is responsible for controlling the right side of the body. It also performs tasks that have to do with logic, such as in science and mathematics. On the other hand, the right hemisphere coordinates the left side of the body, and performs tasks that have do with creativity and the arts.
Maybe it's the right sword that needs to be turned around and not the left one.

This card is confusing me. All this up and down and left and right. It makes me dizzy. I don't know what's up and what's down. What is left and what is right.

But I'll be sad all my life that I've never found a means of creative and artistic expression. I look at people's art, their creations, their talent - and I wonder how it is possible... how can someone produce such beauty ? Whether it's painting, photography, dance, music, literature... And I can contribute nothing in that line. When I die, they will be able to write in my epitath "here lies Diana - who didn't add any colour to the world."

But I must stick here with my theme of biblical passages, or related writings or scriptures. So what gives here ? (Diana ponders....)

Nope no scriptural passage comes to mind. But this did :

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

“Who are you?” said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, “I—I hardly know, Sir, just at present—at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have changed several times since then.”

“What do you mean by that?” said the Caterpillar, sternly. “Explain yourself!”

“I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, Sir,” said Alice, “because I’m not myself, you see.”

“I don’t see,” said the Caterpillar.

“I’m afraid I can’t put it more clearly,” Alice replied, very politely, “for I can’t understand it myself, to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.”

“It isn’t,” said the Caterpillar.

“Well, perhaps you haven’t found it so yet,” said Alice; “but when you have to turn into a chrysalis—you will some day, you know—and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you’ll feel it a little queer, won’t you?”

“Not a bit,” said the Caterpillar.

“Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,” said Alice: “all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.”

“You!” said the Caterpillar contemptuously. “Who are you?”

Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation.

caterpillar.jpg

This isn't helping at all.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

You write beautifully Diana. How do you not see that as an art, as some beauty you bring to the world, how you express yourself?

I'm thinking "Pen is mightier than the Sword" or something like that. Those 2 swords form a threatening looking arch, but you you could walk right under it. Or around it. You don't need to pick up or deal with either one.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 11:44 You write beautifully Diana. How do you not see that as an art, as some beauty you bring to the world, how you express yourself?
It's very fake Joan Marie. I do my best though.

I was discussing this very issue with a correspondent a few weeks ago. They had written to complement me on something I'd written and we talked about art and writing. I told them of my fears that behind my choice of words and style of writing, that maybe subconsciously, I'm hoping that this way no-one will notice that behind is nothing much, if ever, that is original and nothing of any remarkable substance. It's not all bad, but still... (Empty air. Is that possible for air to be empty ? That's a question for Plato's Cave.)

Like I'm maybe using the word and style to try and mask my ignorance and hesitations, or at the best as a way to try and rebel against my sometimes astounding lack of knowledge.

It's also got a lot I think to do with what you spoke about in your Days of Yule when you mentioned social classes. I didn't say anything, because I didn't know what to say. I did thank you for the post though I think. I wonder sometimes about these limitations that our social class erect before us. Some people get through them so it's possible. There are people of very humble beginnings who become Giants. It must be our own fault if we accept these limitations. It can't just be a question of chance - a throw of a dice by the gods. I feel my social class and academic class very much in Plato's Cave for instance. It's not an "easy" place for me to hang out in.

But I like going there - it has very comfortable chairs and high ceilings. Also the ceilings are like in Harry Potter - the other evening for instance, the ceiling was made to look like a starry night - the real thing you know.
I'm thinking "Pen is mightier than the Sword" or something like that. Those 2 swords form a threatening looking arch, but you you could walk right under it. Or around it. You don't need to pick up or deal with either one.
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought of walking through them. I think you're right. I think I should leave them in the muddle they've got themselves into - not knowing who they are like Alice in her conversation with the caterpillar - and let them sort it out between them. I can just picture them already. It'll be something like this :

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

This is a photo of me when I was I dunno, 10 ?, as Alice in conversation with the Caterpillar. I will never forget this photo session. The young boy had a terrific cold and his nose was full of thick green snot. I had to stare up at his face for the photograph and it took the photographer ages to press the button. It wasn't the most pleasant moment! But playing Alice was fantastic.

Alice.jpg
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th
This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

Oh, Alcyone is a star I see. I know nothing about stars. In Chinese they call it “Sixth Star of Hairy Head”. And that made me laugh.

Alcyone is the third brightest star in its home constellation and also the brightest star of the Pleiades or Seven Sisters. It means “the Central One.” In Greek mythology, Alcyone represents the Atlantid nymph who later became the mother of Hyrieus. Alcyone is a multi-star system consisting of four stars, together spanning 10 times the radius of the Sun.

Historically, Alcyone found its way on both Italian astronomer, Riccioli’s (1598-1671) Astronomia Reformat and also by Hipparcos (circa 160-120 B.C.) Oxus and Oxutatos. However, Ptolemy failed to mention it in Syntaxis. In Greek mythology, Alcyone represents the Atlantid nymph who later became the mother of Hyrieus. As the legend tells, Alcyone and her husband, Ceyx were so in love they often called themselves Hera and Zeus. The gods heard this and were enraged. They decided to punish the couple by sinking a ship Ceyx was travelling on. Alcyone searched and begged for her husband’s safe return, but when she finally saw the details of his death through an oracle, then found his lifeless body washed up on shore, Alcyone threw herself into the ocean to join her husband in the afterlife. Zeus then turned the lovers into Kingfishers or Halcyon birds. It is believed that each year for two weeks the waves calm so these birds can nest. It is still referred to today as, “the halcyon days.”

Now what would be really cool here is if I draw the Star, but I’m not holding my breath. Not when I consider the other cards I’ve drawn so far for these Days.

I do like the idea of a personal inner message. That’s always something one can hold onto in one’s heart – like a diamond in its etui. I need some music for this. So I’m listening to Pink Floyd and their Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGE9Gi0bB0

6 BASTONI (6 Batons)

6 Bastoni.jpg
6 Bastons TdM.jpg

I had to look at a TdM 6 of Batons to compare and then it made more sense. The TdM card is more complete (obviously).

There is some unfinished business/unstarted business that needs to be done. Now. This is no time for procrastination.

“Now ?? This minute ?” I protest. “That would be preferable” says the Tarot. “Today is as good a day as any and in all probability, the best. This is going to take a few months as you know. Why wait ?”

I think I know what needs to be done and what's going on here. I was going to wait for the summer or end of spring. But it seems that in the summer I’ll be dealing with other stuff, quite serious it seems, that the Tarot has been warning me about since the beginning of these readings. So it would probably be better to get all the other stuff sorted out before that. And the biggest task I was wanting to start in the spring and finish it in the summer, which is an avoidable deadline. And which will be quite a big upheaval in my personal life. It's going to change things on a lot of different intertwining levels.

There is pattern appearing in the tapestry of these Sacred Days readings. Today’s message is “don’t let nostalgia and memories keep you enslaved to the past. Let them go… what is sacred is in your heart. Be free…. like the Fool. Never forget the Fool”. (I don't know why I call him the Fool since I've returned to the Tarot. I always used to call him Le Mat. Which is much better and much more accurate.)

Also the tarot keeps hinting since the beginning of these Sacred Days something about death. It may even be a literal death. I don’t think it’s mine - although the thought crossed my mind a few times and it was (is) a wee bit unsettling – but just in case, it would be nice to have all my stuff sorted out so others don’t have to. One doesn’t wish to be a burden.

So now a little biblical passage would be helpful because I need some support here….. yep…. it’s this one :

The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands. (Psalm 138:8)

I’m feeling a bit lonely here all of a sudden. It's a little colder. I’ll have to remember that La Papessa was the first card I pulled for these Sacred Days.

Anyway, there's no other direction to go than forward. Hey Le Mat!!! Wanna come and walk with me for a while ? You can bring that yappy dog if you like as long as it's not full of fleas. I'm not a huge fan of dogs though, I warn you. Maybe you could switch it for a lynx or a cat ?? No?? You can't?? I thought so. One doesn't mess with the Tarot.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th
This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

I went to read up on nymphs. Apparently the Alcyone that we’ve already encountered in these Sacred Days was also a nymph. So nymphs abound !

“Inner child”. I’ve always disliked that term. I remember in the early days of New Age, we were always told to contact our “inner child”. Maybe they still do this. It was sometimes taken almost literally, instead of focusing the attention on certain qualities of childhood, such as innocence, spontaneity and curiosity. And we conveniently forgot or ignored or glossed over the frustrations and sorrow that go with childhood too. And also how kids can be really mean and unkind sometimes. We depicted childhood as some kind of paradise where everyone skips around to happy tunes in a carefree manner. But being a kid is tough.

Now after that critique, I’ll pull my card. How best to cultivate the playful side ? What splashes of colour can I bring to my world and the world around me ? I love playing. With my granddaughter it’s easy. We climb trees, I try and learn to ice skate (badly) and we giggle when I fall all the time, we must have played a million hours (at least!) of Mama and Papa. But playing with a kid is easy.

Tomberg, in his Meditations on the Tarot, speaks of Play in his first Letter on the Magician.

"The magic of the Magician lives on– eternally –in those who are willing to take upon themselves the easy yoke of the Master:
Learn at first concentration without effort; transform work into play; make every yoke that you have accepted easy and every burden that you carry light!"

XI LA FORZA (Strength)

La Forza.jpg

I’m glad the Tarot has stopped hinting that I may die this year. I kept on hearing the famous cry “It’s a good day to die today!” from the movie Little Big Man, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMpFsFPhJ8 and I kept on protesting “I’m not sure it’s really a good time”. But then added quickly “but what do I know?”, just to not sound too arrogant as if I knew better than fate. It’s never good to defy the gods – they don’t like it. They play nasty tricks on people who do – like making them roll rocks down mountains and then up again for ever and ever. Or having one’s liver being eaten by a raven also for eternity.

I think I’ll do a quick reading on this matter just to make sure !!

The Tarot is telling me not to make mountains out of molehills. I already put this into practice a lot of the time, but one can always do better. A very common phrase of mine is “ce n’est pas grave” (it’s not serious) when people get all het up about stuff that happens. I tell them to not sweat about small things. I tell them that serious is refugees drowning in boats in the Mediterranean; serious is the homeless barely surviving in the streets; serious is the war in Yemen; serious is the women being trafficked for sex; serious is ICE detention centres. That’s serious stuff. Having one’s planned holiday at a beach in Spain cancelled because of a worker's strike is not serious. The car breaking down in a thunderstorm is not serious. Losing one’s credit card is not serious. The boyfriend turning up late for your birthday because he was out drinking with his pals is not serious.

Chill man. Chill.

But of course, the Tarot is giving me advice – not telling me what advice to give to others. So she’s telling me that I too sometimes fall into the trap of making mountains out of molehills. My little ego gets all frustrated and goes into attack mode sometimes when bumps and obstacles appear on the road that I’ve mapped out for my day or week or month. A bit like when your GPS tells you to turn right when it’s clearly strictly forbidden to turn right. I’ve even yelled at my GPS sometimes “stupid Global Positioning System! Can’t you update yourself by now? We’re nearing the end of the first quarter of the 21st century so try and keep up !” Instead of just enjoying the little detour that I’m being offered. Of if not enjoy it, at least not care about it.

This year I need to learn to chill as much as possible. And when a monster appears that looks like a fierce lion, to recognise it as a tiny little kitten – kittens have claws, but they don’t MEAN to hurt us. They’re just playing. Also, sometimes also a snake is just a rope.

So to stay with my theme of scriptural or other kinds of passages, I take a little pause to ponder – I would like something to sustain me. Sustenance is always a nice thing to have. Hmm.. nothing grand comes to mind, but it is sufficient : “In quietness and in confidence shall be thy strength” (Isiah 30:15). It’s easier to play when one is in quietness and in confidence. That’s for sure.

The Magician and the Strength card are pairs. So I’m going to read some serious stuff on the Magician and the Strength. That will be my study for the days and weeks to come. To learn to transform work into play.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th
This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

Okay, confidence and detachment sounds like a good way to walk one’s path. That’s the best way to go through life I think.

Funny, yesterday's card had a message for me of confidence. So I could make a firm link between yesterday's card and today's once the readings are over and the whole tapestry is completed.

LE STELLE XVIII (Star)

Now when this card comes up for me in a reading, it’s always announces something beautifully positive and wonderful. It rarely comes up because life is rarely just beautiful and wonderful. So I’m thrilled to bits that I’ve pulled this card.

Le Stelle.jpg

Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.
If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.
He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.
Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun:
But if a man live many years, and rejoice in them all; yet let him remember the days of darkness; for they shall be many. All that cometh is vanity.
Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment.
Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity.

(Ecclesisastes 11 KJV)

"Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days." That's a beautiful promise.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st
This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

I’m glad that these Days are over. It’s been quite challenging. I look particularly forward to seeing the whole tableau and how the cards connect and what the main message is.

So here goes. Release the old and let in the new. Releasing old stuff is often pleasant, but letting in the new always makes me a bit anxious though as I wonder what it will be and if I will like it and if it won’t be too destabilising and if I will cope. Life doesn't always give us roses and roses one mustn't forget always come with thorns. Unless they're genetically modified. (hmm.... there's a rose reference I think to the Page of Cups here that I drew for an earlier Day. And therefore probably also the Knight who is leaving and going somewhere....)

XVI LA TORRE (Maison-Dieu/Tower)

This isn’t a good Tower, the one of the Tarocchi di Vetro. It's just a pretty picture. No depth nor symbolism. I’m not even bothering to post it. I need to refer to the TdM again. I don’t think I should use other decks, they’re always wanting. I make an exception for the Fool of the Tarocchi di Vetro which is near perfect – in spite of the missing dog.

Maison Dieu grimaud.jpg

Well, if that’s not a rapid release, I don’t know what is. Seems like I won’t have to do much as it’ll be done for me and any pleading and argumentation will be useless. Boom crash – a nice little explosion. But I do get to escape.

So all I can do is to sit back and watch the fireworks. Maybe the little balls are popcorn.

The very first card of these readings, La Papesse, gave me some warnings to steel myself. And gave me the Fool to tell me how to cope. And the Knight of Cups is a sad card and I don’t like it and it haunts me a bit. It’s not something I’m looking forward to and I don’t know what it is, no inkling. But I know it’s a sad card. And I don’t want to be sad. Who does ?

The readings started with a warning and they end with the Maison Dieu/Tower. The Maison Dieu should be a beautiful card normally, because it’s a card of liberation. That's the main meaning of the card. But freedom doesn’t come easy. The Fool told me earlier in these readings that one is born free and dies free but in between it’s up to me. But a Maison Dieu doesn’t allow us any leeway. We have to find our freedom even when Events happen that are beyond our control.

Also earlier on in these readings, I was reminded that where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. So now it’s up to me – I’ve been given the recipe – now it’s up to me to do the cooking. Not popcorn… popcorn isn’t really food – it’s what you eat at the movies. The Maison Dieu/Tower has always been the card that makes me think the most of a movie. Dodalisque recently called the two guys in the card acrobats. He's so right. Acrobats or maybe also stuntmen.

My god, it’s hard to lose things and sometimes even heartbreaking.

Thanks Tarot. I didn’t really ask for predictions though and this one I could have done without. But I bow down to your infinite wisdom.

(She’s just added that pride goes before a fall. That’s very cliché of her.)

Now there’s nothing in the world that can cheer me up as much as a bit of Rancid. And Rancid has to be listened to really loudly so headphone volumes must be up.

Oh, I’m feeling much better. One more for the road - the one everyone thinks of when you say the word "Rancid" :

I saw Rancid in London a few years ago. They were touring for their 20th anniversary. At the same time was Cocksparrer for the 40th (!!!) anniversary, as well as the coolest London Oi ban Booze and Glory. Three hours of pure bliss. I thought I was in heaven. Maybe I was.

When I listen to this song of Cocksparrer, I feel like I'm transported back to The concert. That's why I always listen to a live version of this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DrkHBRSAp4

And Booze and Glory are just so.... Oi. Sort of funny and authentic. I love them to bits. The bubbles they refer to are a football reference. They're West Ham supporters. I once met the lead singer at a smaller venue they were playing at. He's actually Polish. But now a real Londoner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4pZlP6YtE

I hope you enjoy the music. When I’m worried, or sad, or happy, or discontented, or frustrated, or satisfied, or angry, or loving, or bored, or busy… I always listen to music. Tarot and music also are very associated. I think everything in the end gets up by being associated with the Tarot.

And after this reading, I certainly have some feelings coming up. And they're not so cool... So that's why this post has a lot of music in it. And the Tarot is reminding me that there are messages to be heard in music too. Like the Indesctructible by Rancid that she led me to listen to today.

And just to remind me why I didn’t like the Tower in the chosen deck, I’m putting it here for reference purposes. Along with the Fool because it's so delicious.

Fool Torre.jpg

In a couple of days, I'll do a synthesis of the readings and also update a post I made further up which was a resume of the cards drawn and their main message. But I'll do a synthesis and a conclusion separately to that post.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

This is my conclusion for these readings, the Sacred Days of Yule. It was a wonderful exercise. The people who didn't join in don't know what they're missing. Maybe it's the name : "Sacred Days of Yule" that put people off. It sounds very pagan and not everyone feels at ease with paganism. I'm not a pagan, so I just adapted the whole thing for my uses according to my "beliefs". One shouldn't get stuck on words.

Day 1 : Papesse/High Priestess
Day 2: Le Mat/Fool
Day 3: Page of Cups
Day 4: 2 of Swords
Day 5 : 7 of Coins
Day 6 : Empress
Day 7 : Knight of Cups
Day 8: 2 of Swords
Day 9: 5 of Batons
Day 10: Strength
Day 11: Star
Day 12: Tower

6 of the cards are Majors. In order of appearance:

Papesse, Fool, Empress, Strength, Star, Tower.

All in all, these are very fine cards indeed to see together. They are the glue that will hold things together and what fine glue it is indeed. Of course, the benefits of these cards are not going to appear miraculously. It’s not like I can sit back and say “oh well, then that’s okay then – I can go and sun myself on the beach and just let things take their course.” The wisdom of these cards, their message, can only work their mysterious and wondrous alchemy if I live them and experience them. Not just look at them and admire them. They have to be realised in my consciousness for them to have any form of outer demonstration. But my goodness – that Tower experience at the end could just be something I could get through okay and not too damaged if I work properly and in a coherent manner with these cards. I think this Tower experience will occur near the summer, but I can feel some faint vibrations already but have no idea from what direction they are coming or in what form they will appear. I’m not looking forward to it, as I already said in the readings. It’s going to be something sad.

The Star and the Tower are in an odd position. Why is the Star before the Tower ? The other Majors are all in a numerical sequence. I wonder if there’s a way to switch their positions in the future. That would be nice. Although the bread that I’m casting on the waters in the Star card… maybe that will be the manna I require when I fall from the Tower. Yes, that makes sense. It won’t fall from the sky just like that, sort of miraculously. It’ll be the bread that I cast that will return to me. Maybe even there will be 12 baskets left over… that would be even nicer because then one can share.

Now, there’s an odd mixture of different suits in the minors. But there are two Courts that stand out, the Page of Cups and the Knight of Cups. That’s a bit strange and makes me feel disquieted. I don’t know why. I sense some kind of separation, some kind of good-bye, some kind of adieu. There’s a lot of love in these two cards – it’s nothing brutal or violent. These two cards are something in the nature of this poem :

In My Dreams

In my dreams I am always saying goodbye and riding away,
Whither and why I know not nor do I care.
And the parting is sweet and the parting over is sweeter,
And sweetest of all is the night and the rushing air.

In my dreams they are always waving their hands and saying goodbye,
And they give me the stirrup cup and I smile as I drink,
I am glad the journey is set, I am glad I am going,
I am glad, I am glad, that my friends don't know what I think.
- Stevie Smith

2 of Swords and 2 of Swords (twice); 7 of Coins, 5 of Batons

2 of Swords I need to think about and study and figure out exactly why it came up twice. Seems like if I can grasp properly the meaning of this card, it will help me understand what I am navigating. The ship and the necessary skill to navigate I have with the Majors, but what kind of difficulties will I face when on the oceans? It’s always good to know where the icebergs are or the rocks just under the water. Avoid the dangerous currents and if one finds oneself in one because of the forces of nature, then if one has at least studied them a bit beforehand one can learn the skills to survive and not let the ship get upturned.

Same with the 7 of Coins and 5 of Batons. The significance of these cards will appear later, but it would be a helluva good idea for me to do a bit of dedicated study of these cards. I may do this as a more general discussion of these cards in the TdM tradition in the relevant section of the forum. We’re going to be studying the Marseilles pips this year there so this would fit in nicely.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

So I've been thinking how to follow up on these readings. Instead of just forgetting about them in the hustle and bustle. They were remarkably instructive.

Too often one does readings, get hugely wise advice and we nod our heads wisely but then don't really follow up. I know I do this frequently. And I think a lot of other people do too.

Do we take these readings seriously enough ? Or are they just a pleasant past-time ? How much do we really absorb and make use of ?

So I've decided that I'm going to take these 11 cards (one came up twice so it's only 11) and make a thorough study of all the cards. Go through all the symbolism, all the mythology, all the meanings they could have. Explore the numbers and the elements in more depth than maybe I've ever done, as this will be a focused study on each card. Etc. etc. etc. Some may take a couple of weeks even a month, depending on my time management.

It's a way of using the cards also for study purposes. And of course, then I'll apply everything I've learned or relearned to the actual reading that was done.

I started last night (at 2am!) by starting to write a short essay on Sophia, because the Papesse/High Priestess was the first card I drew. I was busy working on the etymology of the word "wisdom" (Sophia means Wisdom in Greek) when my eyes started drooping and told me that a few hours rest would be advisable. But just the etymology is leading me on some very interesting paths and considerations. I must have already at least 10 websites bookmarked to read or peruse just on this aspect (etymology).

If one doesn't know what Wisdom is, how can one ever hope to understand this card, and also how can we bring it have some bearings on our lives and the particular reading we're doing. This may also end up by having a related thread in Plato's Cave.

After I've finished my essay on Sophia, I'll go on to another aspect of this card. And go on and then go on until I think I'm through. I want to cover all the aspects I can think of. So it'll end up by almost being a small book - a booklet. And when I've finished all eleven cards, I'll have a bigger book inspired by the readings of the Sacred Days which I consider to be my guidelines for the months perhaps year to come. Sort of a 2020 reading.

If I think there's something of worth to share that may help or interest anyone, I will post it. But to share my whole study would be an overkill for a discussion forum I'm sure and would probably bore a lot of people too. I'm sure most people here have already done their High Priestess/Papesse studies themselves. But there may be some snippets that I think may be original and worthwhile sharing with CoT and in this case, I'll make some posts.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 08:41 So I've been thinking how to follow up on these readings. Instead of just forgetting about them in the hustle and bustle. They were remarkably instructive.

Too often one does readings, get hugely wise advice and we nod our heads wisely but then don't really follow up. I know I do this frequently. And I think a lot of other people do too.

Do we take these readings seriously enough ? Or are they just a pleasant past-time ? How much do we really absorb and make use of ?
First of all, congratulations on using your insomnia time so well! I need to learn to do that.

Secondly, I couldn't agree more with what you've said here about using our readings.
I too had intended to create a summary for myself of the Yule readings. Your post here has inspired me to actually do it.

When I was doing the Spirit keepers 22-week course, there were some, I think 4 or 6, in-depth readings that were extremely powerful for me, but as you say, it kind of gets lost in the hustle bustle. And it is a pity.

I'm going to take a cue from you here and work on a method for myself of putting these very intense readings to better use.

One thing they did in Spirit Keepers was a few weeks after this intense reading, you would go back and read and evaluate and it was super interesting. I can say, that even though it had felt like I'd totally forgotten the reading, I could see upon re-reading it that I had taken much of it on board and had made significant changes and improvements. It was like going back to a really old diary and seeing how I'd changed, only it was just a few short weeks.

So maybe I internalised it more than I realised, BUT, it was very helpful to realise it. And it was good that I had, because of the system in place, recorded the results so thoroughly. Though I always felt I could have done a better job of it had I taken more time.

Regarding these "4-Corners-of-the-Year" readings, they may present a good opportunity to re-visit previous ones. So, for example, the next will be the Spring Equinox. It might be a good time to look back to the Yule readings summary and make a little evaluation of how we have progressed/changed/grown since.

I really do agree that adding a bit more structure to our personal readings would be a really worthwhile thing to do. It takes our practice to another level.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 09:12
First of all, congratulations on using your insomnia time so well! I need to learn to do that.
It's not insomnia. It's just that I go to bed too late. Round midnight I tell myself "time for rest", but I don't listen. I just go on and on and on. I'm 60 now, my twilight years are soon approaching and there's no time to lose ! I was planning to switch off the light at about 2am and then suddenly had the imperative impulse to start exploring Sophia so I just forged ahead.

One thing they did in Spirit Keepers was a few weeks after this intense reading, you would go back and read and evaluate and it was super interesting. I can say, that even though it had felt like I'd totally forgotten the reading, I could see upon re-reading it that I had taken much of it on board and had made significant changes and improvements. It was like going back to a really old diary and seeing how I'd changed, only it was just a few short weeks.

So maybe I internalised it more than I realised, BUT, it was very helpful to realise it. And it was good that I had, because of the system in place, recorded the results so thoroughly. Though I always felt I could have done a better job of it had I taken more time.

Regarding these "4-Corners-of-the-Year" readings, they may present a good opportunity to re-visit previous ones. So, for example, the next will be the Spring Equinox. It might be a good time to look back to the Yule readings summary and make a little evaluation of how we have progressed/changed/grown since.

I really do agree that adding a bit more structure to our personal readings would be a really worthwhile thing to do. It takes our practice to another level.
Interesting how we can internalise these readings almost without knowing it. Your Spirit Keeper's experience must have been very powerful. And it looks like to be a fascinating deck.

Excellent idea to hook up the 4 Corners of the Year readings. If we go into them with that intention, I'm sure we'll come up with a lot of surprises. It's the intention that counts so much, isn't it?

I think it's important to take our readings to another level. Otherwise we're just playing on the children's playground and not the adult's. The Tarot must take us higher or else it's not able to function as it can and should.

If you share your summary of the Sacred Days of Yule, I'd be interested to read and to see better how you approach the Tarot. We all have our own unique relationship with the Tarot.

Return to “Sacred Days of Yule: A 12-Day Guided Reading”