This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Sacred Days: Joan Marie

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Sacred Days: Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

This is my personal thread for the Sacred days of Yule reading.
My initial instinct was to use the Tinker's Damn Tarot for these 12 days, and I am going to stick with that.
I look forward to this as I find these seasonal reading exercises to be endlessly interesting.

Sacred Days of Yule

This spread will help you to learn to apply the tarot to enjoy and enrich your passage through the twelve festive days from December 20th to 31st. The meaning of each card in the spread reflects the energy of the festivity associated with each of the twelve days.

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th
This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal - Dec 23rd
This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th
This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th
This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th
This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th
This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th
This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th
This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st
This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Sacred Days: Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th
This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

I had an especially vivid dream last night. I was in a situation not of my own making, yet one I was required to react to, to handle and sort out. It was a situation I would never have willingly put myself into (at least not anymore), yet it was totally plausible that something like this could happen. There were many people involved. They were largely causing the situation just by being themselves. Nothing malevolent was intended, but a huge potential for terrible trouble if I did not handle things.

I really did not know what this dream meant.

So this morning I drew this card from Tinker's Damn:

tumblr_e113e76873a25f8e2e426bf78d84ed62_1e0c7978_640.jpg

Right away I saw myself, facing down "the city".
With the tiger by my side, and staff in hand, I can, with effort and intention, handle whatever chaotic situation I may face, whatever challenges to my character there may be.

I really wish to keep this image in my mind throughout the year and remember that I am an agent of my own fortune.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

tumblr_efc2914850cd8be2ee73de2587e4f1c1_5f50f346_640.jpg

The Courier of Earth
a.k.a Messenger of Earth
a.k.a. Page of Pentacles/Discs/Coins

This past year I, influenced by the Spirit keeper's Tarot, I have really gotten into "grounding" meditations. There are several really good guided grounding meditations on youtube.

These have helped me immensely. And this card reminds me of that practice, this little character bringing me messages from earth. And the message I am getting is that I need to keep up with this practice in 2020.

Grounding gives me the foundation to connect with the light.
Connecting to the Earth's center, the Earth's core, helps me understand and connect to my own. This is an inner light, an energy source. Once I can find that, I can connect to all things, all light.

In 2019 I have found something that has changed me and helped me immensely. This card reminds me of that and encourages me to stay with it in 2020.

If I am really honest, I can say that it wasn't long ago I would have sneered at the idea of youtube guided meditations. I would have thought it sounded completely silly. But there are wonderful people out in the world using these modern tools to share these powerful experiences. I am now so much more open to this kind of thing and am grateful for that.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

tumblr_2a16cd7e3e511129793376f0566d32bc_74d8fabb_640.jpg

Seven of Water (Cups)

What a cool image for this. We see this woman from the back, alone in a cinema watching the drama unfold on the screen.

I am a big cinema goer- and I very often go alone. It's my great escape. So I really relate to this image.

But what is it saying?
I think at times I confuse my "dreams" with fantasy. The problem is the word dreams. It connotes something that isn't real and I have trouble getting past that. Really, when we talk about dreams in this context we are talking more about intentions, things we really are working toward. They aren't real yet, but they are not fantasies.

And this disconnection from my own "dreams" is probably the biggest thing that holds me back. Like the woman sitting here in the theater, I tend to watch others achieving their goals, living their dreams, but can scarcely see myself doing that.

This is what happens when you are raised "working class," you learn early to accept that your lot is to trade in your time for small bits of money and no matter how we resist believing it, we have a set monetary figure (very low usually- our mental minimum wage) in mind for what our time is "worth." For this reason, we learn to resist working for free which by definition precludes the pursuit of dreams. Many unpaid hours of work and effort go into "dreams." And we are taught that is wrong, selfish or even stupid. And yet, we accept the trade of "non-dream" work-hours for very little money. And that, we are told, is honourable.

One of my most unfavourite things to hear people say when they observe someone's unpaid efforts at art of any kind is, "You must have a lot of time on your hands!" I just seethe when I see that. It's a cruel and thoughtless comment intended to break someone's spirit. And the nicest people say it sometimes. Probably because their spirit was broken somewhere along the way.

I think the message here is to stop mistaking dreams for fantasies. To have the courage to make them intentions and to never apologise or make excuses for the time it takes to get there. Also to realise that dreams are not just for other people, they are a necessity not a luxury, and that it is always worth trying.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑21 Dec 2019, 12:21
If I am really honest, I can say that it wasn't long ago I would have sneered at the idea of youtube guided meditations. I would have thought it sounded completely silly. But there are wonderful people out in the world using these modern tools to share these powerful experiences. I am now so much more open to this kind of thing and am grateful for that.
Youtube has been a godsend. It has opened doors that one would never have imagined, even a few years ago. It has taken off in an incredible manner. I think it's part of our cosmic evolution.
Rumi was asked β€œwhich music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

4. Hopi Time of Renewal - Dec 23rd
This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

tumblr_3ea746da835b7cb8a1f7ea9b2a319742_44055f64_640.jpg

Eight of Earth
What a perfect image for this.

Everyone is filled with light. This concept keeps coming up for me the past few days, during these festivals of light.

The hands here are forming clay, and the image is looking straight back at the artist with soft but piercing eyes.

While it is important to work on myself by finding and "fixing" the darker sides, it's also important to see my own light. These efforts go hand in hand. And the more I come to understand and appreciate myself, the more I understand and appreciate everyone.

I've personally never been crazy about this word "tolerance" as being some kind of goal because it is too limiting. To tolerate something or someone is more a kind of repression rather than something freeing. Tolerance is a wall, the "good fences" between neighbours.

What is much more interesting to me is the developing the capacity to really see others, as opposed to my projection on them. This to me is a real goal and the image on this card reminds me of how and of why the pursuit of self love is so important. To see one's own light, to feel it, to emit it, lights the way in all life and helps us see. Push away all that would block or obscure it, all that would limit.
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑22 Dec 2019, 12:52
And this disconnection from my own "dreams" is probably the biggest thing that holds me back. Like the woman sitting here in the theater, I tend to watch others achieving their goals, living their dreams, but can scarcely see myself doing that.

This is what happens when you are raised "working class," you learn early to accept that your lot is to trade in your time for small bits of money and no matter how we resist believing it, we have a set monetary figure (very low usually- our mental minimum wage) in mind for what our time is "worth." For this reason, we learn to resist working for free which by definition precludes the pursuit of dreams. Many unpaid hours of work and effort go into "dreams." And we are taught that is wrong, selfish or even stupid. And yet, we accept the trade of "non-dream" work-hours for very little money. And that, we are told, is honourable.
This is so powerful Joan-Marie, thank you. Social class is a particular issue I have with tarot... actually, with all aspects of life. In addition to nature and nurture, its social class that has such a profound and wide-ranging effect on a child's life. And its an issue that few people want to talk about anymore.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th
This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

tumblr_c56afbef97a33bcd939e6380d129a0e4_8ef1a17e_640.jpg

6 of Fire.

What a strange card to get.

when connecting to the ancestors I think I expected something warm and comforting. This is not only neither, it's the opposite.
Life is a battle, hard-won. If it's won at all.

I just noticed, this soldier is wearing a helmet, either English or American, I'm not sure, and carrying 3 German ones. He was thrust into a senseless situation, emerged "victorious" but we know he's not going to be okay. Not really.

So what are you trying to tell me ancestors? You did the best you could given the shit circumstances? You followed the rules, you went into battle and barely came out alive? Or maybe didn't? Left scarred and broken spirited?

If I'm going to fight and struggle, I want to choose my own fights and struggles. I'm sick of playing a game I didn't create and will never win.

The thing here says, on the feast of mothers, to reflect on the birth of Christ and it makes me think of how innocent and filled with spirit and hopes we all were at birth, my ancestors were, I was, my son was. And all the hopes and dreams people had for us.
And then the world comes in and well, we saw how it ended for Christ and his mother.

Pretty rough.

I see this guy on the card and I don't want to be him. This "victory" is not his. I think my ancestors are telling me to not be afraid to set the terms for my own life, to go unapologetically, my own way. And maybe they are proud of me because, to a large degree, this is how I have lived.

I very much appreciate the unsentimental nature of this. Thanks Mom. And everybody else.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑23 Dec 2019, 09:57
I've personally never been crazy about this word "tolerance" as being some kind of goal because it is too limiting. To tolerate something or someone is more a kind of repression rather than something freeing. Tolerance is a wall, the "good fences" between neighbours.
I also didn't like this word "tolerance" when I read it. Maybe for next year you could change it. I mean, how can one tolerate fascism or racism or homophobia, to give just three examples.

So I modified this Day's suggestion when I did my reading and changed it to "how can I remove any bigotries or prejudices that I'm still carrying around with me?" This made me think that maybe one shouldn't throw the first stone. It's hard to look at one's own prejudices when all one wants is to be free of such considerations. Makes one feel very humble and small in fact.
Rumi was asked β€œwhich music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: ↑24 Dec 2019, 09:41
Joan Marie wrote: ↑23 Dec 2019, 09:57
I also didn't like this word "tolerance" when I read it. Maybe for next year you could change it. I mean, how can one tolerate fascism or racism or homophobia, to give just three examples.
On the other side of the spectrum, just "tolerating" other people's differences (of race, religion, etc.) is a low bar. Too low.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑24 Dec 2019, 10:34
On the other side of the spectrum, just "tolerating" other people's differences (of race, religion, etc.) is a low bar. Too low.
I don't think I understand what you're saying and it sounds interesting ! Could you rephrase ?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: ↑24 Dec 2019, 10:51
Joan Marie wrote: ↑24 Dec 2019, 10:34
I don't think I understand what you're saying and it sounds interesting ! Could you rephrase ?
I always think of the word tolerate as meaning "to put up" with something, as in, " I hate loud music, but since it's your birthday, I'll tolerate (put up with) it."

That's fine, but when you apply that sentiment to people in order to mask your own bigoted disdain for who they are or how they look, you haven't reached a very high bar. People can tell when they are just being tolerated. It's not a nice feeling.

What you described was tolerating intolerance, and that is a paradox and as you say, can't be done.

I'm talking about making an effort to get past one's own limitations and prejudices to do more than simply tolerate but to, well, just be sincerely cool to people. Getting past yourself. It's harder but worth the effort.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑24 Dec 2019, 12:32
I always think of the word tolerate as meaning "to put up" with something, as in, " I hate loud music, but since it's your birthday, I'll tolerate (put up with) it."

That's fine, but when you apply that sentiment to people in order to mask your own bigoted disdain for who they are or how they look, you haven't reached a very high bar. People can tell when they are just being tolerated. It's not a nice feeling.

What you described was tolerating intolerance, and that is a paradox and as you say, can't be done.

I'm talking about making an effort to get past one's own limitations and prejudices to do more than simply tolerate but to, well, just be sincerely cool to people. Getting past yourself. It's harder but worth the effort.
Ah yes, I get you now. And reading your other post makes sense now. Naturally, the bar I mentioned is way too low, you did well to point this out.

I suppose it requires an evolution from tolerance to acceptance.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th

tumblr_c0cfc8c4ec18f171bc866626e1ca524e_1fb5af3c_640.jpg

The Seeker (Hermit)

Funny how this image creates all kinds of nostalgia for me. And then it all kind of pinpoints to a certain time in my life when I was starting over. I had thought it would be easy. I had a good momentum in a lot of ways, important ways. I had extricated myself from some extreme negativity. But I realised later, much later, that I was so removed from my true spirit after a lot of hardship, that all the new surroundings and opportunities could not cut through the walls I had built up. Consequently I was not able to gain the full benefit of my new situation.

There was a process involved that I was not aware of at the time of getting back to myself.

I've often thought about those times and how difficult it all actually was, all the mistakes I made. But it never occurred to me until just now that it might be worth revisiting. I might be worth taking some time to contemplate and try to get a feeling again for where I was and the spirit of myself that was trying to emerge.
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑25 Dec 2019, 14:32 6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th

tumblr_c0cfc8c4ec18f171bc866626e1ca524e_1fb5af3c_640.jpg

The Seeker (Hermit)
What an interesting, beautiful card. I love it. What I see here is an old immigrant - perhaps a survivor of the Holocaust - because of the Star of David in the lamp - holding the flag of the country that gave him shelter. What does it mean to sit in the curve of the moon? This is an image I see often in various forms. Often a child or dreamer.... this old man is still the boy he once was, but just tired and world-weary. The world has changed so much around him. But somehow he still has hope and pins his dreams among the stars. The symbol of his faith, once a sign of separation on his sleeve, is a light in the dark.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th
This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

tumblr_b0f8d4851d226b05f77f0ae8d8995b6d_3199e81a_640.jpg

Seven of Earth (Discs)

I heard a joke once that the only reason anybody ever settled in the middle of the United States was because on their way to California their covered-wagon broke down. This was evidenced by the common decoration at the entrance to any farm of a broken wagon wheel. They literally "settled" as opposed to fixing it and continuing.

And this picture with the broken wheels makes me think of family. I think a lot of us think of ourselves as being somehow outside our own family. "Me and them" kind of thing. The outlier. But it isn't true. And if we're ever going to find a way to be nurturing or helpful in any way, we have to first face the fact that we all got stuck on the same farm with these people and that is just the way it was.

At some point everybody tries to fix their wagon wheel and move on. Each one searching for something different.

The hand full of soil feels like an offering. An acknowledgement maybe of our shared beginnings. Regardless of all that happened later. We all processed what being stuck on that farm was all about and took those lessons and moved on. To really look at how each person did that, the choices they made, will tell you a lot about yourself. And maybe that is how we become better at understanding what family even is. What community even is. And how to become a nurturing and protective member.
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

One of my favorite moments in Australian history is when Gough Whitlam symbolically returned land to the Gurindji people by pouring a handful of earth into Vincent Lingari's hand. It was a turning point - there's even a song written about it. https://youtu.be/6_ndC07C2qw
lingari.jpeg
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑26 Dec 2019, 09:22
And this picture with the broken wheels makes me think of family. I think a lot of us think of ourselves as being somehow outside our own family. "Me and them" kind of thing. The outlier. But it isn't true. And if we're ever going to find a way to be nurturing or helpful in any way, we have to first face the fact that we all got stuck on the same farm with these people and that is just the way it was.

I've been ruthless with family. I've narrowed it down to a very small circle. Some of my friends I consider part of family. So it's a bit wider than seen from the outside when one thinks of the traditional idea of family.

It wasn't an easy decision to make at times, because of other people's concept of family and therefore the personal hurt that my decision may have caused them. And I didn't want to hurt anyone. But it was too much of a burden for me the family thing. It was like a chain around my neck. It didn't make any sense to hang out with people I've nothing in common with apart from some common ancestry. And I didn't find a sense of freedom in the family scene. I found it restricting and very artificial at times.

So I went really radical. I just kept a cousin and sister with whom I have the occasional friendly exchange by email or whattsapp. And then my own little family of course. And a few friends.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

tumblr_eb571f91db4018f5ec2a2e6fb2e134d6_4dded330_500.jpg

Fate; Wheel of Fortune

The mystery unknown factor of all endeavour. One thing you learn as you age is to count on randomness. To not be surprised by it, offended by it, disappointed by it, or become arrogant. (Very good luck often makes a person arrogant) It's the mark of maturity to practically expect the unexpected and to have the ability to work with it like some kind of cosmic jujitsu master.

Most of the time, it just requires adjustment. Sometimes it's devastating. But still, jujitsu, manipulating the opposing force against itself rather than confronting it with one's own force. Or allowing the positive force to proceed unencumbered and allow it to flourish. These are skills.This is equanimity.

The unexpected is as much a part of life as the sunrise.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I'm trying to finish this up before I leave town for a few days.

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th
This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

tumblr_f25a8b161dba635946d400deb11fb1cf_6ef735a7_640.jpg

SUSPENSION

I looked up what the Feast of Alcyon is and part of what I learned is the origin of the phrase "Halcyon Days" which refer to the 14 days surrounding the winter solstice when the winds and weather calm so that Alcyon can lay her eggs.

As I ready myself for a winter break I realise the importance of suspension of things from time to time. Just a little break to spend with people in an analog way, just laughing and drinking and eating and walking in the snow.
The message I am getting from this card is treasure it. Enjoy it. Take it all in. And don't distract myself with things that can wait.

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th
This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

tumblr_172f64d5ae44fb9548d47e8c8f76b77d_18eef285_640.jpg

The Mayor of Water

Dressed for travel, bag in hand. And so playful! This card is full of whimsy. He takes his fun seriously. Not afraid of how he appears, and that makes him so charming. A good image to keep in mind.

Lovely!

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th
This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

tumblr_3c52842d20da4a95f68c0267bddc3ec2_e721173a_640-1.jpg

Businessman

This is a funny card to pull. He looks stressed out but his crown is literally detached.

I get the sense of things maybe not being quite as important or urgent as they seem. He remains serious and doing his best, but at the end f the day what happens happens and not everything is under our control.

Good to remember. And again, what wonderful image to hold for this idea.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st
This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

tumblr_3ec8669eb1ed670d3e8a25d6a4ab2129_db075f28_640.jpg

Actress

I have to explore my creative side, deeply.
This means get all the clerical stuff sorted so that it doesn't overtake all my time and energy.
This sort of happened this year and to be honest it scared me.

An actress has to dig deep to find the truth in her work. This is why they all have business managers. I don't have one.
I learned a lot this year about a lot of things, a lot about business, what to pay close attention to, what to delegate and when to just close my eyes and press send and trust.

The idea is to have things well handled but handled quickly so that the bulk of my time and energy can go to creating.
For the new year the focus is not changing but it is shifting.

I have to free up my brain and try some new things. Expand in some new directions, keeping the old things going, but not getting obsessed in details and small work.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_9224bfbb555c10669ccea6ed2e1041d5_12ab04d3_640.jpg

Here's the whole wheel. The 12 days of Yule.

I had to finish it early but I hope to have some time tomorrow on my long car ride to think over what I've learned, what I've observed.

I really do love these exercises. I'm planning to do more of them in the coming year.

I want to thank everyone who joined me this time around. It's so much more interesting as a shared experience. So much more meaningful.

Return to β€œSacred Days of Yule: A 12-Day Guided Reading”