This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

TdM Nov. 19 Sign-up *Updated 11/3*

Charlie Brown
Sage

TdM Nov. 19 Sign-up *Updated 11/3*

Post by Charlie Brown »

Welcome to Nov's TdM circle. The sign-up dates are as follows:

Dates:
Respond here to sign up by November 10.
Partners assigned November 11.
Readings posted by November 24.
Feedback posted by November 30.

This month's spread is a hybrid of modern and historical tarot styles that uses a larger number of cards while breaking the reading down into smaller chunks. It comprises three three-card cartomantic lines for a total of nine cards.

This came about from trying to synthesize a couple of seemingly contradictory statements that members of the circle have made to me. One the one hand, some people have expressed a preference for trying some larger spreads. On the other, many people said after September that the five or seven card versions of the cartomantic line were a little intimidating and that they liked to keep the number of cards down to three.

Start by choosing your favorite modern style three-card positional spread. You know, the kind that's very popular with modern RWS readers. Past-Present-Future is probably the default, but whatever you like and/or works with the question.

Here's a good list of some three-card spreads if anyone is interested:
https://www.biddytarot.com/easy-three-c ... t-spreads/

Then, for each of the positions in that spread, draw a three-card cartomantic line. If you orient the spread positions vertically this will give you a box of 9 cards, 3x3.

Past: 1-2-3
Present: 4-5-6
Future: 7-8-9

Since the basic spread is the three-card cartomantic line, the initial draws are MAJORS ONLY. Like with last month's French Cross, readers can feel free to "cover" their majors with minors for added context.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Re: TdM Nov. 19 Sign-up *Updated 11/3*

Post by Diana »

Although I think I'm really not a good tarot reader, I'll sign up again if I may. The person who gets me as their reader is not the luckiest of all, but as long as the question doesn't concern a vital and urgent issue of survival, I think we can take the risk.

What I appreciate most about these exchanges, apart from the opportunity to do an in-depth reading, is the feedback. And I wish sometimes that the feedback was also sometimes more "technical". Like the time, Charlie Brown, when you stepped into a thread in Plato's Cave and pointed out that I'd attributed words to the Tarot that were incorrect. If it's not the person being read to who makes the remark (I think this would be difficult - the roles are so different), I don't see any harm in a third party stepping in and I don't think this would be inappropriate. For instance, a remark such as "hmmm. I wonder if there's not one further aspect that has been possibly overlooked - don't forget that the three of cups bla bla bla.". Not in order to re-interpret or correct, but rather to add to it.

I understand that it is not wise to interfere with the actual reading. Because their is a connection, a relationship, that only the reader has with their cards at that particular moment in time. But I think if there's something really of worth to add, it would be helpful to have this pointed out and even debated on.

I sort of end up after these readings un peu sur ma faim - sort of hungry for more. Like the process is not fully finished.

Sometimes, when I've read the readings that others have done, I've thought "that's interesting. I wonder how they came to that conclusion", but I don't dare step in. The conversations and readings seem so "private" and "confidential" - as they're sort of walled in. Or am I imagining things ? Sort of like cloisters.

I also like it when the querent in their feedback doesn't feel they have to be all kind and wishy washy and feel that they have to say that the reading was great, rather than saying "it's not the best reading I've ever had... and this is why."

I think I feel I'm not LEARNING enough from these exchanges.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Marigold wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 21:27 I think I'm really not a good tarot reader
I disagree with you. But, then, I often do. :)
Marigold wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 21:27 What I appreciate most about these exchanges, apart from the opportunity to do an in-depth reading, is the feedback. And I wish sometimes that the feedback was also sometimes more "technical".

I also like it when the querent in their feedback doesn't feel they have to be all kind and wishy washy and feel that they have to say that the reading was great, rather than saying "it's not the best reading I've ever had... and this is why."
I'm always happy to give technical feedback but I've learned that people often are offended to receive it. It can easily come off as saying that I know better than you or else trying to re-give the reading oneself.

I also always like it when third parties chime in in the circles. I don't know if people aren't interested or if they merely don't feel confident and empowered to do so.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I can respect if someone prefers not to have someone chime in. So maybe one could just say at the beginning of the reading whether third party feedback is welcome or not. Or will this make things too "heavy" and tedious like red tape ? It would have the advantage of being clear.

I would think people are unsure of whether they're welcome or not, so they refrain. Like I did. As well as maybe not being interested. Probably quite a mixture for the small group.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

I'm taking the plunge. I just did a ton of research and purchased my first actual TdM. I previously had a deck in the TdM style, but has some differences from the traditional. I'd like to start working with TdM much more, so I would love to join this month.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Cool! You may want to take a look at the September circle to get an idea of how I try to orient the group. Generally, I'm of the mindset that TdM is a style of reading as much as it is a particular style of deck. I'm sure you'll be fine and I've no doubt your Lenormand/Sybilia experience will be an asset.

What deck did you get?
kare
Sage

Post by kare »

Charlie Brown wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 05:44 Cool! You may want to take a look at the September circle to get an idea of how I try to orient the group. Generally, I'm of the mindset that TdM is a style of reading as much as it is a particular style of deck. I'm sure you'll be fine and I've no doubt your Lenormand/Sybilia experience will be an asset.

What deck did you get?
Thank you. I have been trying to work with the TdM style and got Ben-Dov's book. I got the CBD TdM. I'm looking forward to it. I will spend more time checking out the September readings. I want to spend more time in there.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I've updated this thread to include the spread for the month.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I'd like to sign up again this month, please.

Online communications are tricky, with many opportunities for misunderstandings and discord, since it's hard to convey the exact tone of voice intended. Writing is a completely different skill from talking. So I agree with Marigold that it would be lovely for others to jump into a conversation between a reader and client about a reading, as long as we tread carefully, which in fact everyone I've met on this site already tries to do. I think that's why most of us go overboard to be polite - praising readings, apologising for gloomy predictions, admitting uncertainty, etc. We would do that with a client face-to-face but could convey it with a nod or wink. It's far more laborious in print. Also a tarot card reading can be a VERY personal thing, both for the client and reader. We're saying what's important to us, sometimes on a deep personal level, so our egos are on the line. Anything other than overnice niceness could always be put into a personal message to avoid embarrassing someone in front of the whole group.

I guess what I'm saying to everyone is, please keep up the good work. Feel free to jump into readings to get information or make constructive suggestions, which is not the same thing as criticism though can often feel like it. And let's continue to give our fellow tarot enthusiasts the benefit of the doubt if clumsiness happens.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Ok, ok!!! I'll do it!!! :D

I like the idea of the spread, 3 cards each for a 3 card spread. I don't know if I'm a "true" TdM reader, but I'm trying! And, please, anyone can jump in with ideas and observations on my readings! If it's ok with the questioner, of course.

Looking forward to it!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Return to “Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”