This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Charlie Brown Reads for RachelCat

All activity for the October 2019 Working with ShadowCards group found here.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Charlie Brown Reads for RachelCat

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hi. I'm looking forward to answering your question.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Charlie Brown Reads for RachelCat

Post by Rachelcat »

Hey! Good to get a reading from you again! Since it's supposed to be shadowy, here's my question:

What don't I know that I need to know about my health, especially my ongoing weight maintenance and exercise regime?

(Seems like the only things I do these days are work, eat, exercise, and play with cards, so that's where my questions have to come from! Oh, and read books, lots of books!)

Thank you for reading for me!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I'm happy to do that, but, of course, it goes without saying that I'm not qualified to give medical advice and this is for fun and entertainment only.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Of course! It's not so much how to avoid a medical disaster as it is how to enhance healthful habits! Thank you!

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Do you have a significator that you commonly use?
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I don't usually, but I think Queen of Cups will work. (July 1 birthday.)

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

This was a challenging read for me. I think the broad outlines are pretty clear, but I did have some trouble sorting out all of the details. For the main reading (I did two) I used a trusty 5-card horseshoe that I often use when asked to do general readings. Appropriately for the month/intention, the shadow cards added a lot, I think.

In a nutshell, I see the reading as saying that your long-term outlook is quite good but that you current emotional outlook might be a significant obstacle for you. You are advised to act in an objective and practical manner while working to engrain a new set of expectations that are both more positive and more realistic.

What does RachelCat need to know about her health and well-being? (5-card Horseshoe)

Present Situation: Mayor (King) of Water
What's Expected: Eight of Water
What's Unexpected: Ace of Earth
Near-to-Mid-Term Future: Seven of Water
Mid-to-Long-Term Future: The Sun

Shadow: Six of Swords

20191020_110137.jpg

So, immediately, The Sun tells us that, long-term, things should be going in a right direction for you. At the present moment, however, I wouldn't be surprised if things seems a little bit uninspiring or even stuck for you. Elementally, as Fire of Water the mayor/king is a bit precarious; conflicted or uneasy. This is amplified by the eight of water, which suggests to me that you feel as if you're spinning your wheels a bit and don't necessarily expect much from the effort that you're putting in to your health.

What's Unexpected? The Ace of Earth. I don't know specifically what this means, but something new needed and coming to give you a shot in the arm, so to speak. Maybe it's an actual shot in the arm of some B12 or something. In any case, the earth element implies that it's either something practical and/or a new way of working and going about your business.

The seven of water is an interesting card. The image is melancholy. The body language of the woman in the theater seems a bit despondent in contrast to the fantastical glamor of the silver screen. In RWS, the card tends to represent dreams, fantasies, visions, and desires (like the movie). In Thoth, it speaks more to the negative consequences of overindulgence. Generally, I try to keep my readings tight and free from too much 'intuition,' but I'm going to speculate more so than I usually do. In the short term, there may be a disheartening disconnect between where you feel that you're at and where you want to be. The holidays are coming and they are often a no-win situation for weight control. You either feel left out from the treats or you feel bad because you've broken your regimen. The goals you've set for yourself may feel, like the film, to be unrealistic. That sense of detachment can lead to melancholy, ennui, and despondency. It might also be a time where you're feeling badly about some of the issues you and I discussed last month regarding relationships and family. If you can make it through, you can ultimately get to the sun. But they do keep it dark in the movie theater. It can take time for your eyes to adjust to the light.

I think there's something to be gained from looking at the relationship between the 7 and 8 of water—appearing, as they do, at symmetrical places on the horseshoe. The eight suggested to me that, deep down, you might not have the most positive expectations—that you think things are really just going to stay like they are now. Images and movies can reshape our perceptions. Perhaps, even, (and this is super speculative on my part) the Ace might represent visualization and affirmation exercises that attempt to change the way you perceive your situation in the same way that movies and stories can change the way we understand the world. The seven, being one lower than the eight, might be telling you to 'take a step back.' This would allow you to reassess your situation and reshape your expectations—especially regarding the speed at which your desired changes will take place. The darkness of the 7's theater is nearby, the sun's light is farther off. It's funny, I'm talking about light and darkness and, here we are, ready to talk about the shadow card. The Six of Air moves us to a better place but it is not quick. It is the slow, steady incremental progress forwards. As a six, it's about harmonizing our mind to the situation. Seeing this card in the shadow position makes me worry that you're potentially too impatient or too emotionally overwrought about these issues.

What is some actionable advice for Rachelcat regarding her health and well-being? (tirage a deux cartes)

Seven of Earth + Ten of Water
Shadow: Minerva (High Priestess)

20191020_110150.jpg

Another seven and more water! Like the Sun in the first reading, it's encouraging to see such an auspicious card an the end of our reading. In total, these cards say that learning from our failures, mistakes, and setbacks will ultimately get us to our goals. I see this as highly reinforcing to the message of the first reading. Seven of Earth says that there's a lot of work to be done and it may seem like there isn't a lot to work with.

The shadow card here is hugely significant, I think. We normally think of Arcanum II as empowering. It often says that your intuition and wisdom will provide you with the guidance you need. Not so here, I think. The cards have already suggested that your feelings may not be leading you forward at this moment. The Six of Airlikewise suggested that it may be a danger not to use your more objective/scientific mind. Alongside that, the Ace of Earth speaks to the need for practicality. The Mayor, Eight, and Seven of Water all suggested a bit of emotional stagnancy that could be holding you back. It doesn't take any special insight to understand that these issues surrounding health and weight are emotionally fraught. My interpretation of this card is that your feelings are likely suspect and could be detrimental. On the other hand, like I just laid out, the more measured objective and practical approaches of Earth and Air seem to be key to getting you to a more positive place both for your actual goals (Sun) and your emotional health (10 of Water).

Notice that Minerva is not holding a book.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I love the Tinker’s Damn! It was my go-to deck for a while.

Thanks for reading for me. I need to come up with better questions for you. (I give you the difficult ones because I know you can handle them! Ok, and because I can’t think of good ones.)

You are so spot-on with the overall idea that my emotions are not helping me in this and that only applying practical, scientific methods is going to work. I keep saying “I know how to do it because I’ve done it!” (losing weight). Another thing that’s holding me back a bit is that my old-lady aches and pains really improved as I lost weight and started exercising, but now foot and knee pain are coming back to haunt me and make me discouraged. That may be the Ace of Earth. I thought I could only get better, but the realities of age are real! And I’m uncertain if I should fight through and keep going with what I’m doing or slow down and coddle myself a little.

The 7 and 8 of Water thing you have is also spot on, including holidays and my preconceptions of how things should be. My Weight Watcher leader keeps telling us she’s been following the plan for ten years, but yet I think there should be a time (now!) when I can go off the plan and just live. And that has predictable negative results!

I agree that the ultimate outcome is good. I’ve definitely made changes that will positively affect the rest of my life. But I’m just in a funk for now. Interesting interp of the negative side of Minerva, too much emotion, not enough book! Good interp of a shadow card. (In my reading, I interpreted it as what is unknown.)

Thank you very much for the reading. And it really makes a lot of sense. Telling me what I should know already but am resisting! It really helps me focus and try to get back on track. Thanks again!

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I love your questions. It's always a treat to read for you.

Return to “Working with Shadow Cards: Hosted by kare”