This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Ruminations on the Trumps of the Sola Busca

A card-by-card study and discussion of this most enigmatic deck.
salgarfi
Seeker

Ruminations on the Trumps of the Sola Busca

Post by salgarfi »

Hello All!

I am a newcomer to the Tarot, but like so many others, I am intrigued by the Sola Busca Tarrochi. From what I can see through my (limited) research to date, many(?) people try to apply either the MdT or RWS trump card attributes to those of the SB, but I think that this can lead to people barking up the wrong tree. The SB has a system all of its own, just as the systems of the MdT, the RWS, and the Thoth are all different – though of course, these three are still all very linked!

In my own journey into tarot, I have been very taken by the idea of the Fool’s, or Hero’s journey, and I can see how the standard tarot deck trumps can be divided either into three or two sets of cards, representing the Fool/Hero journeying from the material world to one that is spiritual/enlightened. Now, I have read Peter Mark Adams’ Game of Saturn, and although he claims that the deck is some kind of assault sorcery grimoire, I believe that he really hasn’t proved that point; and although people might argue about this, I’d like to set this aside for now.

To me, the best part of Adams’ book is the fact that he gives us meanings for the cards based on the ideas of what was, in the Renaissance, a sub-culture of neo-pagans and this must be the starting point for appreciating the cards. Standard tarot decks are, when you boil it down, based on a medieval Christian mind set, with obvious Christian iconography. The SB has absolutely nothing to do with this. It represents an utterly different world and spirit view.

With this in mind, and with no attempt at matching the SB trumps with those of any standard tarot deck, and taking into account and using Peter Mark Adams’ card interpretations as a deliberate starting point, I have devised the following keyword list for the SB trumps (nb: a familiarity with the Game of Saturn will make clear where I’m coming from in most instances, well.., I’d like to think so!?).

Whenever possible, I have tried to limit my keywords to single, essential descriptors, (as are usually written at the bottom of standard trumps) but that’s not always possible. Anyway, these descriptive, single word ‘essences’, are for me, interpretive starting points (and from them, as to be expected, further interpretations can/must be made which would be unique to each card reader). Now, as a neophyte here, I might be seen as trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, so please bear with me.., here goes!

The Trumps -

0 Mato: ‘The Fool’ (But no ordinary fool. I see this character as ‘otherworldly’, as a link between our world and the spirit world. Also, being in league with the crow/raven on his arm, perhaps he is playing the tune that we, mere mortals, are dancing to?)

I Panfilio: ‘The Seeker’ (I see this card as representing the ‘hero’ on his journey towards card XXI.)

II Postumio: ‘Incarnation’ (This is based on the Neo-Platonic notion of reincarnation. It is birth after death.)

III Lenpio: ‘Invocation’ (I think this card speaks for itself.)

IIII Mario: ‘Mars’ (This card could represent the attributes of either the God or planet Mars, or both.)

V Catula: ‘Saturn’ (Or Kronos, or Ammon, or ‘Time’. Again, this card can represent the attributes of the God or planet Saturn, and the gods Kronos and Ammon, in all their aspects.)

VI Sesto: ‘Mercury’ (Again, the attributes of the God or planet Mercury can be a starting point for interpreting this card.)

VII Deo Tauro: ‘The Chariot’ (Or Taurus the bull. Again, the mythology of Taurus can be used as a starting point in interpretation.)

VIII Nerone: ‘Sacrifice’ (To many this is a disturbing card, but it is what the idea of ‘sacrifice’ means that should be the guide here, as well as what a ‘sacrifice’ meant to the ancients.)

VIIII Falco: ‘The Supplicant’ (A spiritual celebrant, seeking something higher.)

X Venturio: ‘The Usher’ (Venturio can mean ‘fortuna’, the changing fortunes of the ‘wheel of fortune’. To me, it represents a change in the trumps, from those dealing with the world of ‘incarnation’ - the material and personal world, and moving on to an outer, cosmic and spiritual world. Also, if Venturio is spelt as ‘Venturo’, it means ‘next’. Venturio leads the hero into the second stage of his journey.)

XI Tulio: ‘Excarnation’ (This is the beginning of the journey out of the material world and toward ‘enlightenment’.)

XII Carbone: ‘Drawing Down the Moon’ (This is the first card in an attempt at starting to become one with ‘the deity’.)

XIII Catone: ‘Perseus’ (Adams interprets this as Perseus with the head of the slain Gorgon at his feet. This could very well be equal to the Death card.)

XIIII Bocho: ‘Penitence’ (The historical Bocho was a betrayer. He is in agony in this card, so I see him as full of repentant sorrow for his deeds. To be penitent is to be humble.)

XV Metelo: ‘Hekate’s Top’ (A magician invoking Hekate. Her so-called ‘top’ is on the pillar. Again, it’s the symbolism and the mythology of Hekate that could be the interpretive starting point here.)

XVI Olivo: ‘Basilisk’ (The basilisk is crucial in alchemy. It is how it is involved in alchemical/spiritual change that probably matters here.)

XVII Ipeo: ‘Possession’ (Here, the magician is getting close to actualisation with the deity. He is starting to be transformed.)

XVIII Lentula: ‘Saturnalia’ (This could be a Roman priest celebrating Saturnalia, a period when the world is turned upside down. Through the magical rituals displayed in this deck, perhaps the material and spiritual worlds are also reversing. There is spiritual change afoot!)

XVIIII Sabino: ‘Epiphany’ (This chap has seen the light, he has petitioned the deity, his world has changed, and he’s on the road to enlightenment.)

XX Nenbroto: ‘The Tower’ (The result of an epiphany, is the destruction of one’s previous beliefs and the things that might have supported one’s world/spiritual view. Here, that is shown by the destruction of the tower, and this must take place before the final card which will represent enlightenment.

XI Nabuchodenasor: ‘The World’ (Or enlightenment. As with all of these cards, there is a great deal of symbolism here, but for now, I’d just like to leave it here with this being the summation card, as ‘The World’ usually is in a Tarot deck.

I hope that all of this is relatively clear, though I’ve aimed to be as succinct as possible. These interpretations are derived from the Game of Saturn, but I don’t think the deck is as malefic as Adams states.

All best for now,
Sal
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Ruminations on the Trumps of the Sola Busca

Post by Joan Marie »

salgarfi wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 14:00
I hope that all of this is relatively clear, though I’ve aimed to be as succinct as possible. These interpretations are derived from the Game of Saturn, but I don’t think the deck is as malefic as Adams states.

All best for now,
Sal
I love this Sal.

It's been a while since I read Game of Saturn, and to discuss it intelligently I would need to review it.
I'm also currently into Sola Busca Tarot: An Alchemical way in 78 Paths

One thing I did appreciate about Game of Saturn is that the author didn't try to say "this card means this and that one means that" which is always the tendency. I liked the broad strokes and full admission that the cards really are a mystery. I found it interesting that despite the size of the book there was never a section of "card meanings"

That said, I really appreciate your succinct sort of summaries of the majors which helps in putting together al that information. I seem to recalll after finishing Saturn (I think I read it twice) feeling like a learned a lot but could never tell you exactly what it was I learned!

If you are familiar with the documentaries of Adam Curtis you may know what I mean. A fascinating info packed thing that just had me riveted but then I could barely tell you what it was about when it's finished. :lol:

I'm just barely into, An Alchemical Way, I'll commment when I get through it more.

But I wonder if you have seen the interview I did with Giordano Berti about the deck?
https://www.cultoftarotforum.com/viewto ... =30&t=718 (sorry if I have already mentioned this and forgot)

He, of course, had a lot of great insight to share and yet, a lot of ambiguity as well!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
salgarfi
Seeker

Post by salgarfi »

Thanks Joan Marie!

I know what you mean about Adam Curtis. he puts so much together in his films that you come out with an understanding, but can't really recognise how you came to that understanding. I too like the idea that Adams hasn't presented a list of meanings for the cards, but as you know, the interpretations are there (they just have to be winkled out) and I find them a great starting point, just as we start with basic descriptions (ie the labels) of the standard trumps. I look forward to what you have to say about The Alchemical way. Of course, Alchemy is one of the other ingrediants in the confection of the SB!

Thanks again for your positive comments.

Ta ra,
Sal
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

I am looking forward to everything said about The Book of Saturn and The Alchemical Way. I am keeping my eyes out for affordable copies of both; I'm sure that they will cross my path at the right time/place.

The Sola Busca fascinates me as well but I've thrown myself down a different rabbit hole for the forseeable future and just eagerly read posts like these to bask in other people's deep thoughts, research, and insights :)
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
salgarfi
Seeker

Post by salgarfi »

TheLoracular wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 03:14 I am keeping my eyes out for affordable copies of both
Yes, I got lucky, and I fortuitously found a second hand copy of the Game of Saturn in good condition, for less than half price! I'm always careful about what I buy since I'm only on a UK State Pension, and this is one of the meanest, if not the meanest pension in Western Europe :shock: !

Return to “Sola Busca Study Group”