This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Sola Busca - Panfilio, is there a key in the No-eyes of this outlaw?

A card-by-card study and discussion of this most enigmatic deck.
Lucifall
Seer

Sola Busca - Panfilio, is there a key in the No-eyes of this outlaw?

Post by Lucifall »

Panfilio, is there a key in the No-eyes of this outlaw?

Panfilio
Panfilio

Panfilio is the number I and possibly connects with the Magician (or the Lovers.)

From 0 to I
On nulla Mato stares at the crow and the crow (or raven) gazes at Mato.
Is this a hint about the construction which maybe is hidden in the eyes, the mirror of the soul?

Mato, Matto, Mata, Matta- Eyes
The word Mato, Matto (madman) is connected with Matta (madwomen). This brings us on Mata.
Mata is meaning eyes in very very many languages around the planet. From Greece to the Philippines Chine, Indonesia (Mata Hari – Mother of God in Sanskrit and Eye of Dawn in Indonesian). https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mata

Panfilo is one of the two cards of the Triumphs which show no eyes.
You do not see the eyes of Panfilio, only a small part of the right side of his face (mouth and nose)
On card II Postumio, you even see nothing of the face.
Does this outplace Panfolio and Postumio of the rest of the Triumps is certainly a question which arise.

Comparing eyes on Sula Busca Triumph cards
On all other cards you see or a left eye or a right eye or both eyes.
Another similarity is that both Panfilio and Postumio wear a green tunique. (which are the only green ones in the Triumphs)
Another striking effect appears, there seems to be a structure.

2 cards: -: No Eyes ( I, II) + Panfilio and Postumio have a green 'dress' (The only green dresses in the trumps) (oneven – even)
6 cards -: Left eye ( (IIII,X,XII, XVI,XVIII,XX) – only even Numbers – (connected to the Moon?)
8 cards -: Right eye (III,V,VII, VIIII, XI,XIII,XV, XVII)- only odd Numbers – (connected with the sun?)
6 cards-: Both Eyes (0, VI, VIII, XIIII, XVIIII, XXI) -0-even-even-even-odd-odd
Panfilio - no eyes
Panfilio - no eyes
Panfilio no eyes.png (52.46 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Mato - Raven Gazing Eyes
Mato - Raven Gazing Eyes
mato Eyes Raven.png (69.49 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

- Cards which are only showing the left eye have even numbers and cards showing the right eye odd numbers.
– All even in number of cards. (is pairing a key in a set of 2-6-8-6?)
The eye of Horus is in my opinion very important related to eye symbolism.
The right eye of Horus is associated with the Sun God Ra and the mirror image or left eye sometimes represented the Moon.

Possible interpretation:
The eyes of Panfilio are not visible. But you can see the way he is looking by his pointing finger. This man wants to go ahead and the road seems to be very long. Panfolio is pointing in a forward direction and is going forward by will.
This gesture connects Panfolio somehow with the Magician who draws the powers from above and direct them to below. Does Panfolio try to tell us that we also have to look beyond to the Unseen?

Panfilio: What is in the name?

The name root of Panfilio is Pan Philos (Pamphilos, an ancient Greek name) and is composed of two elements (Same as the same unique coloured dressed non -eyed mate Postumio)
In Greek Pan means always, all, every, whole) and Philos means (beloved, dear, loving or friendly)
There is a second meaning possible. Filio also means offspring or Child so Panfilio also means: Son of Pan.

The way of writing of Panfilio
The strange mirrored L
The strange mirrored L

Another thing is strange and different of the other cards which outplace Panfolio again from the rest.
The L is different of the other cards with on L in it. (III Lenpio, V Catulo, IX Falco, XI Tulio,
XV Metelo, XVI Olivo, XVIII Lentulo)
It seems to have a mirror L (Mirror – eye -crow)
In ancient Semetic the letter L was upside down. It was called 'El' which meant God (for me Gods- Elohim but that is another story) The Phoenicians gave it the reversed look with the hook facing left and named it 'lamed'. For the Greek was it Lamba and they turned the hook around to face right.
(Left—Right is also a structure in the Triumphs)

Further Panfolio (I) is the only one which wears a red cap under the five rayed crown. This very same crown you find on Falco (VIIII) with 4 points, on Bacho (XIV) with his nearly fallen 4 pointed crown, At Olivio (XVI) we see a crown with five points, Lentulo's (XVIII) crown shows 7 rays around a blue Phygian cap which is on the ground, On Neneroto(XX) the crown is broken and fallen on the ground. On XXI a five ray crown is before him on the table.

Sickle
The Sickle
The Sickle

In the right hand Panfolio seems to have a sickle which was used by reapers and was called 'Falx Messoria'.
Used by reapers? Mithras was also called the Divine reaper.
I really think there are hidden symbols of the all-male Mithras cult (all male Triumps) in the SB as Mithraism was particularly popular with the Roman legions. Shrines are found everywhere in the empire.
In the right hand he has the sickle. (the intellect says no war but food for everyone? ).
In his left emotional side you see a shield, war gear but with no text or weapons on it. No selection in good - bad; enemy- friends?

The empty Shield

The shield is empty and lacks to any form of decoration. No weapon on it, no name, no picture, No-thing.
Does this maybe mean the story still has to be written on the coming road?
Or is it a secret what is on the other side which we do not see. (gazing beyond...)
Or does it mean Panfilio does not choose for who is the enemy or not?

Flowered knees
Flowered knee
Flowered knee
flowered knee.png (174.96 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

On the knees Panfolio wears a kind of flower decorated caps for protection. Leg protection was important in the Roman defense equipment.These greaves are called ocreae or ocreaand followed the Greek model.Centurions (officer of Roman army) were always represented with greaves.
I doubt Panfolio is a military, he more looks like a peasant.and not as an officer or soldier. Maybe this explains why the flowered knee cap is skin coloured. This Panfolio don't need the real stuff for this. He is protected by his won body/ flesh?

Who is Panfolio?

According to the text of Andrea Vitali is Panfolio: Marcus Baebibus Tamphilus,who was sometimes called Panfilo was a preator (magistrate with executive power) of 192 b.c.e.
He was sent to Greece for the conflict between the Thessalians and Macedonians and conquered the Apuani without shedding a single drop of blood. (The crown should be the prize for his victory)
Tamphilus was the first one who received triumphal honors without having waged a war.
This explains the lack on weapons on the cards. But still a magistrate with a tool of peasant, clothed in Green?

Another possible connection with Panfilo we find in Boccaccio's Decamerone, a collection of 100 stories from Giovanni Boccaccio (prob. 1349-1360) This work, is considered a masterpiece and is known for its stylish as one of the most beautifull in Italian literature. It was nicknamed the l'Umana commedia ("the Human comedy")
In the story the person Panfilo de Tutto Amore tries to dig deeper in the meaning of the story. Panfilo is known as the Tutti Amore (Loves all) which probably connects Panfolio with lovers.
It might be possible to connect persons from the Sola Busca with the personages of Boccaccio's Decamerone.

Wiki :
'Many details of the Decameron are infused with a medieval sense of numerological and mystical significance.For example, it is widely believed that the seven young women are meant to represent the Four Cardinal Virtues (Prudence, Justice, Temperance, and Fortitude) and the Three Theological Virtues (Faith, Hope, and Charity). It is further supposed that the three men represent the classical Greek tripartite division of the soul (Reason, Spirit, and Appetite. Boccaccio himself notes that the names he gives for these ten characters are in fact pseudonyms chosen as "appropriate to the qualities of each". The Italian names of the seven women, in the same (most likely significant) order as given in the text, are Pampinea, Fiammetta, Filomena, Emilia, Lauretta, Neifile, and Elissa. The men, in order, are Panfilo, Filostrato, and Dioneo.'

I am really wondering what is in the Game of Saturn concerning Panfilio. Anybody?
Paths you don't draw as a blue-print; Use your lightest feet to create your own.
Lucifall
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Sola Busca - Panfilio, is there a key in the No-eyes of this outlaw?

Post by Joan Marie »

This is another amazing post. Can't wait to dig into it.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

This is such a meaty card that opens up so many avenues for discussion. I like the insights that you posted, Lucifall! I have quite a few ideas churning in my brain, and I promise to post a more detailed comment when I get back. Until later!
Start strong
End stronger
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

There is a second meaning possible. Filio also means offspring or Child so Panfilio also means: Son of Pan.
I like this. Remember our discussion on Mato, where one of his possible identities is Pan Silenus? With this interpretation, Mato (as Pan) is the father of Panfilio, i.e. the Fool begets and thereby assumes the persona of the Magician as he begins his quest. For while Mato is indisputably the Fool, Panfilio is generally regarded as the Magician except for those who see him as the Whel of Fortune due to the size of his shield, among other things.

download (1).png

The strange mirrored L

Another thing is strange and different of the other cards which outplace Panfolio again from the rest.
The L is different of the other cards with on L in it. (III Lenpio, V Catulo, IX Falco, XI Tulio,
It seems to have a mirror L
While your insight is very much valid, I was thinking that the line jutting down from the letter L may be one of the spires of Panfilio's golden crown?

Panfilo is one of the two cards of the Triumphs which show no eyes.
You do not see the eyes of Panfilio, only a small part of the right side of his face (mouth and nose)
On card II Postumio, you even see nothing of the face.
Does this outplace Panfolio and Postumio of the rest of the Triumps is certainly a question which arise.

. . .

Another similarity is that both Panfilio and Postumio wear a green tunique. (which are the only green ones in the Triumphs)
Now this is a particularly brilliant observation. Consider I Panfilio and II Postumio side by side:

5-1-2.jpg

They seem to make a pair, two parts of a diptych. They have the same green armor, the same red cap, both carry a shield and sword, etc. Di Vincenzo said that both of them were warriors, altho there is a subtle difference in their paths that can be discerned from the dissimilarities in the images.

I'm inclined to believe Vitali's assertion that Panfilio really is Marcus Baebius Tamphilus and Postumio (notwithstanding the sheer number of illistrious Romans who hold that name) is the tragic Lucius Postumius Albinus. Tamphilus is not a mere praetor - he commanded troops, his assignment to Macedonia and Greece was a military command, he garrisoned the city of Larisa and conducted swift operations in Sicily, etc so there's no question that he's a warrior. He did acquire his triumphal crown via a bloodless victory, but as Sun Tzu said in his Art of War:
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
In this sense, Panfilio is a perfect symbol for the Magician, who can triumph through sheer force of will

Panfilio's sword was hidden by the placement of his shield and body. I guess the concealed sword and the blank shield do point out his relatively strife-free victory, compared to Postumio's (Posthumous?) struggles that in the end cost him his life. Again we witness the two naked sides of warfare - the victor brimming with vitality and life (Panfilio) and the vanquished, solemn in his demise (Postumio seemingly downcast, looking at a sad memento mori).
Start strong
End stronger
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

I like this. Remember our discussion on Mato, where one of his possible identities is Pan Silenus? With this interpretation, Mato (as Pan) is the father of Panfilio, i.e. the Fool begets and thereby assumes the persona of the Magician as he begins his quest. For while Mato is indisputably the Fool, Panfilio is generally regarded as the Magician except for those who see him as the Whel of Fortune due to the size of his shield, among other things.[/quote]

Great you mention this! The shield as wheel only i think the wheel might be fitting better with Postumio.
Postumio's shield has both.. The spokes and the wheel..
A wheel with no spokes we see on top of the shield on II.
shield and eight spokes
shield and eight spokes
There also seem to be an connection with the 'Trehor Fatis - thing' and those eight spokes stars which we find both on 3 cards. II, XIII (3-1) and Ace of coins with the full text on Ace of cups without the star.

The strange mirrored L

It seems to have a mirror L
While your insight is very much valid, I was thinking that the line jutting down from the letter L may be one of the spires of Panfilio's golden crown?
This was also my first impression. The black of the mirrored L is exactly the same black as the L above and the are also connected. The black line has no point and is much darker than the other spires.

5-1-2.jpg

They seem to make a pair, two parts of a diptych. They have the same green armor, the same red cap, both carry a shield and sword, etc. Di Vincenzo said that both of them were warriors, altho there is a subtle difference in their paths that can be discerned from the dissimilarities in the images.

I'm inclined to believe Vitali's assertion that Panfilio really is Marcus Baebius Tamphilus and Postumio (notwithstanding the sheer number of illistrious Romans who hold that name) is the tragic Lucius Postumius Albinus. Tamphilus is not a mere praetor - he commanded troops, his assignment to Macedonia and Greece was a military command, he garrisoned the city of Larisa and conducted swift operations in Sicily, etc so there's no question that he's a warrior. He did acquire his triumphal crown via a bloodless victory, but as Sun Tzu said in his Art of War:
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
In this sense, Panfilio is a perfect symbol for the Magician, who can triumph through sheer force of will

Panfilio's sword was hidden by the placement of his shield and body. I guess the concealed sword and the blank shield do point out his relatively strife-free victory, compared to Postumio's (Posthumous?) struggles that in the end cost him his life. Again we witness the two naked sides of warfare - the victor brimming with vitality and life (Panfilio) and the vanquished, solemn in his demise (Postumio seemingly downcast, looking at a sad memento mori).
The sword hidden and the blank shield and the strife free victory. Very Nice! Pairing I and II feels nice. Funny thing is when those 2 no-eyes are paired the story continues. In my opinion III and IV are connected (by the eye also :-) )

I and II both have the kneecaps which were used by the military. II is the (also military) Postumio you mention. The picture is very clear to connect with this guy. The man who deserved that triumph and never did get it like his comrades..
But how alive is the golden skull of this same Postumio (1 dead / 1 alive?)
The man looking at the grave seems to have his weapon down, maybe to sad to be in battle.

Red is the colour of Mars, God of war and was very important for the Romans who considered themselves as warlike people straight from Mars. Why wearing (Venus- Pan – Faunus-like) green, quit a opposite colour. The colours of soldiers seem to have been red or off white.

I/ Panfolio wears no weapons (i think the sickle is for reaping – (assisting III?)) and that shield is so striking clearly empty which feels quit non-military for me. Problem now is the hidden sword ;-)
The story still has to be written on the shield? (Fits with 1)

The pointing and speaking of Panfilio triggers me.

Would it be possible this son of Pan is telling the story which is accompanied by the bagpipe of Mato 0?
Panfilio is talking which connect him with to the panfilo from the Decamarone.
In the introduction of the Ciappelletto story Panfilo announces that his tale is concerned, not with the judgment of God, but with that of men who beset by frailty and ignorance stand continually in need of divine assistance. Though men in their ignorance might misdirect their prayers to the wickedest man in the world, a merciful God.

His tale is concerned not with the judgment of God but with that of men. That suits very well with the godless SB.
Paths you don't draw as a blue-print; Use your lightest feet to create your own.
Lucifall
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Before anything, I really have to thank you for pointing out Andrea Vitali's writings on the Sola Busca. It's nothing short of phenomenal! Very helpful too.
Great you mention this! The shield as wheel only i think the wheel might be fitting better with Postumio.
Postumio's shield has both.. The spokes and the wheel..
A wheel with no spokes we see on top of the shield on II.
I agree. But if anything, I believe that Panfilio corresponds to the Magician and Postumio to the High Priestess. The latter has some harrowing connotations that we can explore in its respective card.
Red is the colour of Mars, God of war and was very important for the Romans who considered themselves as warlike people straight from Mars. Why wearing (Venus- Pan – Faunus-like) green, quit a opposite colour. The colours of soldiers seem to have been red or off white.
I like Greco-Roman history, so I truly appreciate how thorough you can be, Lucifall. It was believed that all Romans were descended from Mars, since he was said to be the father of Romulus, who was the founder of Rome. As you said in your first post tho, the green color of Panfilio's and Postumio's armor may have been meant to make them stand out from the other trumps. The green of Venus can be used as a contrast to the red of Mars since the former answers to the pinnacle of power of Imperial Rome. For while the common Roman hearkens to Mars, the Julio-Claudian dynasty that lasted from the ascent of Julius Caesar to the ignominious end of Nero were of the gens Iulia, claiming descent from Iulus, the son of Venus.

There must be something special about our twosome, something fateful and commanding, star-crossed. Trahor Fatis - "I am drawn by Destiny". This is heady, powerful stuff. Aside from II Postumio, XIII Catone, and the Ace of Amphorae that you mentioned, it also appears in a banner in the Ace of Discs. Two trumps assuming the flesh of noble heroes who met their inglorious ends fighting for their country/beliefs. And yet on the other hand, it also presages great tidings in the auspicious Aces. From Berti:
Ace of Amphorae
"Time of abundance nears".
Love. Feast. Material or spiritual growth. Positive development.

Ace of Disks
"Great fortune".
Success due to its capabilities, both a benevolent fate.
Destiny as a powerful dictator - Ananke/Necessitas - resolute, immovable, inexorable. I have a story about Trahor Fatis, but that would be for later.

Di Vincenzo wrote that the green armor may stand for the enriched spirit as green is the color of regeneration, of baptismal waters. This along with the fact that both Panfilio's and Postumio's eyes are hidden make me think that these aracana are the celebration of mysteries that manifest themselves from within, something that can only be achieved by plumbing the depths of one's soul.
Start strong
End stronger
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Thank you so much for your input!

There are so much layers to explore and as newbee trying to understand the SB it is so helpfull to get feedback.

Sharing is caring. :-)

I am thinking of making an overview of some different interpretations available for the cards and am considering how to.
An complete overview is something really missing on the internet and might be for a lot of readers, or aspirant-readers like me, very helpfull.
I agree. But if anything, I believe that Panfilio corresponds to the Magician and Postumio to the High Priestess. The latter has some harrowing connotations that we can explore in its respective card.
Panfilio and Magician fits ; the pointing finger made me aware of that (but Iám still open for other possibilities, after exploring the majors everything might be different)

I am exploring Postumio and try to link the card with the High Priestess. Very pausible.. You do not see a face so this might be a woman ;-)
I like Greco-Roman history, so I truly appreciate how thorough you can be, Lucifall. It was believed that all Romans were descended from Mars, since he was said to be the father of Romulus, who was the founder of Rome. As you said in your first post tho, the green color of Panfilio's and Postumio's armor may have been meant to make them stand out from the other trumps. The green of Venus can be used as a contrast to the red of Mars since the former answers to the pinnacle of power of Imperial Rome. For while the common Roman hearkens to Mars, the Julio-Claudian dynasty that lasted from the ascent of Julius Caesar to the ignominious end of Nero were of the gens Iulia, claiming descent from Iulus, the son of Venus.
History is so intriging. Symbolism really has an all-is-one-aspect. Tarot, for me, is a library of symbols and wisdom connecting the world.

I love your interpretation of contrast - red-green and the Venus Cult of the Romans and the outplacement of those two.

The Romans adapted a lot! (Sun Gods, Isis-Cult, believe in the evil eye, even Roman soldiers protected themselves against this special eye )and so much more.. Those Romans mirror a lot of World-history and wisdom.
There must be something special about our twosome, something fateful and commanding, star-crossed. Trahor Fatis - "I am drawn by Destiny". This is heady, powerful stuff. Aside from II Postumio, XIII Catone, and the Ace of Amphorae that you mentioned, it also appears in a banner in the Ace of Discs. Two trumps assuming the flesh of noble heroes who met their inglorious ends fighting for their country/beliefs. And yet on the other hand, it also presages great tidings in the auspicious Aces. From Berti:
Ace of Amphorae
"Time of abundance nears".
Love. Feast. Material or spiritual growth. Positive development.

Ace of Disks
"Great fortune".
Success due to its capabilities, both a benevolent fate.
Destiny as a powerful dictator - Ananke/Necessitas - resolute, immovable, inexorable. I have a story about Trahor Fatis, but that would be for later.
I would love to hear the story of 'Trahor Fatis'.
I have a nice wicked story to tell about that for later, too. I only was making anagrams; for what they are worth; it is intriging and it connects to the High Priestess.
The Ace of Amphorae is missing the star; the text is complete. I see a lot of the RWS in this card. Waite (if i recall it well) mentioned somewehere the Ace of cups has everything of all minors in it.
Di Vincenzo wrote that the green armor may stand for the enriched spirit as green is the color of regeneration, of baptismal waters. This along with the fact that both Panfilio's and Postumio's eyes are hidden make me think that these aracana are the celebration of mysteries that manifest themselves from within, something that can only be achieved by plumbing the depths of one's soul.
[/quote]

Very inspiring interpretation!
Lucifall

Return to “Sola Busca Study Group”