This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What Sola Busca decks and books do you use?

A card-by-card study and discussion of this most enigmatic deck.
Amoroso
Sage

What Sola Busca decks and books do you use?

Post by Amoroso »

I'm just curious about the Sola Busca deck versions the folks here use. If you want to comment on how they are like physically (colors, feel/texture, cardstock), how they shuffle, etc please do so!

I only know of the following:

Ancient Enlightened
Illuminating Ancient
Il Meneghello
Mayer
Rinascimiento
Anima Antiqua
Scarlet Imprint
Museum Quality Kit

Are there any others?

I'm also curious about the books that you use in your studies and how helpful you find them. Thanks!
Start strong
End stronger
Amoroso
Sage

Re: What Sola Busca decks and books do you use?

Post by Amoroso »

As for me, I have the Anima Antiqua version that was released two years ago. The cards are huge and printed on lovely, smooth cardstock. It's unlaminated so it has this caveat against using/shuffling it, but I've read it more than a few times and the cards are still alright.

Regarding books, aside from various resources I scrounged online, I mainly use Sola Busca Tarot by Sofia di Vincenzo. I've followed its divinatory meanings in some readings before and even if they diverge from the traditional Golden Dawn interps (which come to think of it was created centuries after the SB), they were pretty much on point.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I have the Rinascimiento/Mayer, number 537
537.jpg
537.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

The deck is on a heavy paper cardstock, unlaminated but I never heard it wasn't safe to shuffle. I have many many times and the cards are perfect still.
The only drawback is the unfortunate white backs.

The cards are rectangle, so no rounded edges. I wonder if the other versions did that?

The only book I have is The Game of Saturn.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Joan Marie wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 12:11 I have the Rinascimiento/Mayer, number 537

. . .

The cards are rectangle, so no rounded edges. I wonder if the other versions did that?
My Anima Antiqua has rounded edges. A friend has the Illuminating Ancient Tarots, and like ye olde Lo Scarabeo decks of yore it has the card name in four languages and yes, rounded edges. I remember that the sadly OOP Scarlet Imprint version has rounded edges too.
Start strong
End stronger
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Amoroso wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 11:47 As for me, I have the Anima Antiqua version that was released two years ago. The cards are huge and printed on lovely, smooth cardstock. It's unlaminated so it has this caveat against using/shuffling it, but I've read it more than a few times and the cards are still alright.

Regarding books, aside from various resources I scrounged online, I mainly use Sola Busca Tarot by Sofia di Vincenzo. I've followed its divinatory meanings in some readings before and even if they diverge from the traditional Golden Dawn interps (which come to think of it was created centuries after the SB), they were pretty much on point.
Very hard to get The Sola Busca tarot by Sofia di Vinzenzo; especially the 1998 version..
You have a treasure :-)
https://www.abebooks.com/9781572811300/ ... 811307/plp
Paths you don't draw as a blue-print; Use your lightest feet to create your own.
Lucifall
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Lucifall wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 21:49 Very hard to get The Sola Busca tarot by Sofia di Vinzenzo; especially the 1998 version..
I bought it such a long time ago and wow I didn't know this. :shock:

Aside from The Game of Saturn by Peter Mark Adams, the next book I'm targeting is Sola Busca Tarot by Cristina Dorsini. It only discusses the trumps, but I've read good reviews about it. Have to be careful since it seems that there's a near-identical Italian version that's going around too.

How about you, Lucifall? What's the Museum Quality Kit like?
Start strong
End stronger
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Amoroso wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 22:03
Lucifall wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 21:49 Very hard to get The Sola Busca tarot by Sofia di Vinzenzo; especially the 1998 version..
I bought it such a long time ago and wow I didn't know this. :shock:

Aside from The Game of Saturn by Peter Mark Adams, the next book I'm targeting is Sola Busca Tarot by Cristina Dorsini. It only discusses the trumps, but I've read good reviews about it. Have to be careful since it seems that there's a near-identical Italian version that's going around too.

How about you, Lucifall? What's the Museum Quality Kit like?
So happy with it!
My beloved RWS is not touched since the SB arrived. That never happened before. Even reading about wars and war- gear became a hobby :-) never thought that should happen.

The tarotset with booklet is packed in a nice black hard box with pink design and silver letters. The box is very easy to open.

I immediate fell in love with the art work and symbolism. The vintage look-a-like colours are warm and speaking.
The colours of the slightly rounded border fit great with the pictures and is not annoying (I think a Black or white border or extra texts on the cards is a curse with this kind of artwork)

The cards of the museum kit of Lo Scarabeo are highly glossy which make it a bit difficult to shuffle.
The quit chemical smell of the cards i really do not like. I hope this dissapears soon by use.
The backside is still in consideration. For me this black pink dotted side does not fit with the lovely front sides.
71401201_2824560730907182_7161336655834513408_n.jpg
Paths you don't draw as a blue-print; Use your lightest feet to create your own.
Lucifall
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

I guess we have the same taste in decks, Lucifall. I love everything about the RWS system, though I guess that in order to get to that point, one may have to find a version that fits one's ideals perfectly. It wasn't until I got the Centennial that my intellectual regard for it blossomed into fascination.

Back to the Sola Busca : my Anima Antiqua wasn't treated with any laminate varnish, so the cards are a smooth matte. It has the same back design as yours tho.

Regarding the red marble backs - I believe Berti said that this design mirrors those in the original cards in Brera Museum in Milan. I guess Lo Scarabeo was trying to make decks that are as similar to the Pinacoteca deck as possible.

I'm glad you liked the Kit though! It seems like right now, the only versions available in the market that are not OOP are the Rinascimiento and the recently-released LoS Museum Quality Kit. At least those who're tempted to explore this gorgeous deck don't have to sell an arm and a leg to get in on the action.
Start strong
End stronger
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Amoroso wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 10:31 I guess we have the same taste in decks, Lucifall. I love everything about the RWS system, though I guess that in order to get to that point, one may have to find a version that fits one's ideals perfectly. It wasn't until I got the Centennial that my intellectual regard for it blossomed into fascination.

Back to the Sola Busca : my Anima Antiqua wasn't treated with any laminate varnish, so the cards are a smooth matte. It has the same back design as yours tho.

Regarding the red marble backs - I believe Berti said that this design mirrors those in the original cards in Brera Museum in Milan. I guess Lo Scarabeo was trying to make decks that are as similar to the Pinacoteca deck as possible.

I'm glad you liked the Kit though! It seems like right now, the only versions available in the market that are not OOP are the Rinascimiento and the recently-released LoS Museum Quality Kit. At least those who're tempted to explore this gorgeous deck don't have to sell an arm and a leg to get in on the action.

The centennial edition deck is great really great. I experienced more connection than with the brighter RWS versions.
Finally the honour for PCS she deserves!
I have the box with the pictoral key to the tarot and the artwork and times of Pamela Colman Smith. Her artwork really is intriging. As a bonus in this box some cards of her work are attached.

I like sets which are not laminated the most. So maybe someday i will get this Anima Antiqua also.
Thanks a lot for the info concerning Berti's choice for the backs.!
Lucifall
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Joan Marie wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 12:11 I have the Rinascimiento/Mayer, number 537

537.jpg

The deck is on a heavy paper cardstock, unlaminated but I never heard it wasn't safe to shuffle. I have many many times and the cards are perfect still.
The only drawback is the unfortunate white backs.

The only book I have is The Game of Saturn.
Wow Joan Marie, this is really a special edition!
Lucifall
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Lucifall wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 12:53 Wow Joan Marie, this is really a special edition!
I bought this deck directly from Giordano Berti (he has tons of other really interesting decks by the way, here is his website and here is a recent post he made here about another very special deck)

One interesting thing about it is it has this really faint but earthy smell like clay. I thought that it was maybe from the printing process because the printed side of the cards almost have a texture to them and I thought maybe it was some special ink or something.Giordano said it was probably because they were stored so long, maybe in a celllar. But it isn't a musty smell like a cellar. It really smells like earth.

And yes it is a special edition and it came in a special handmade box. There is also an LWB with some very interesting interpretations of the cards. It's just a little fold out thing with a sentence or two about each card.
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Joan Marie wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:42
Lucifall wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 12:53 Wow Joan Marie, this is really a special edition!
I bought this deck directly from Giordano Berti (he has tons of other really interesting decks by the way, here is his website and here is a recent post he made here about another very special deck)

One interesting thing about it is it has this really faint but earthy smell like clay. I thought that it was maybe from the printing process because the printed side of the cards almost have a texture to them and I thought maybe it was some special ink or something.Giordano said it was probably because they were stored so long, maybe in a celllar. But it isn't a musty smell like a cellar. It really smells like earth.

And yes it is a special edition and it came in a special handmade box. There is also an LWB with some very interesting interpretations of the cards. It's just a little fold out thing with a sentence or two about each card.
So funny you mention this!
When i smelled the cards i was thinking...Why so chemical; these cards have to smell to terra cotta. (Like my pots on the terrace do smell after a big rain)
What a nice story of the cellar. :-)

Thank you so much for the links!
Lucifall
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Lucifall wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 12:20 I have the box with the pictoral key to the tarot and the artwork and times of Pamela Colman Smith. Her artwork really is intriging. As a bonus in this box some cards of her work are attached.
I have the Commemorative too, and it is a triumph.
Joan Marie wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:42 There is also an LWB with some very interesting interpretations of the cards. It's just a little fold out thing with a sentence or two about each card.
I checked out a friend's copy and yup, I like Berti's card meanings. They're well-thought-out, and you can tell that they're not lazy clichés because they fit the images. Most importantly, they can be used in readings.

Consider VII. Deo Tauro

20181106_145940_HDR.jpg
For that, he wrote:
A warrior in triumph over a throne:
"Public honors and awards".
Target achieved. Triumph. Conciliatory action. Contrast solution.
Short but pithy.
Start strong
End stronger
salgarfi
Seeker

Post by salgarfi »

Hello All,

Out of curiosity, has anyone done a comparison of The Game of Saturn by Adams and the books on the Sola Busca by di Vencenzo, and Dorsini? Since I'm new here, it would be great to know what people's opinions are on the different authors' interpretations. I'm presently reading the Game of Saturn and I think Adams might be stretching some of his assumptions just a wee bit.

All best,
Sal
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

salgarfi wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 16:52 the books on the Sola Busca by di Vencenzo, and Dorsini?
Hi- I have read the Adams book but am unfamiliar with these others and would really like to read them.

Do you have a source for them, where I might be able to find them?
JayBee
Seer

Post by JayBee »

Greetings Joan Marie. I happened to notice the other day on Arnell Ando's site that there's an updated version of the Dorsini book here:
https://www.arnellart.com/museodeitarocchi/msdk61.htm
salgarfi
Seeker

Post by salgarfi »

JayBee wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 19:45 Greetings Joan Marie. I happened to notice the other day on Arnell Ando's site that there's an updated version of the Dorsini book here:
Ah.., that's good to know, and I see that the new book also includes the minors. Thanks!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

salgarfi wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 07:58
JayBee wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 19:45 Greetings Joan Marie. I happened to notice the other day on Arnell Ando's site that there's an updated version of the Dorsini book here:
Ah.., that's good to know, and I see that the new book also includes the minors. Thanks!
I just ordered this from Museo Tarocchi as a PDF in English. It was only €10.
I did follow up with an email to them and they immediately responded and sent me the PDF as an email attachment.

It looks like from the US there is a distributor in New Mexico that you can purchase from as well who seems affiliated with Museo Tarocchi.

I just had a peek at it and it looks really nice. Hoping to get into it this weekend. i will let you know.

(p.s. I have purchased from Museo Tarocchi before. They have a wonderful selection of really unique decks and books.)
salgarfi
Seeker

Post by salgarfi »

Joan Marie.., since you've read the Game of Saturn, it would be great to see how these two books compare. I gather that this one has an alchemical leaning while, as you know, Pater Mark Adams has leant towards Mithraism, Afro-Levantine cults and the darker side of magic, eg 'assault sorcery', to say the least!

Sal
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

salgarfi wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 11:48eg 'assault sorcery', to say the least!
Knave of Coins/Pentacles - 'Excessive prudence'.

SB.jpg
Sylvan-Tutor.jpg

Good luck England, versus Italy. :D
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Oh dear! Italy won the game on pentacles/ (3) 1 - 1 (2)

Normally I don't listen to the news but as it was Euro cup final day I turned on the radio. As it happens, Pope Francis gave a blessing to a crowd of well-wishers from the balcony of his hospital room. On the nature of his illness the report only said he had had a 'planned operation'. Never mind England, better luck next time. :lol:
pmbreader
Seeker

Post by pmbreader »

Hello everyone! :)
Many years ago I came into possession of the Ancient Enlightened Tarot.
It was a gadget attached to a Tarot Encyclopedia published in weekly both in Italy and in Spain, edited among others by Giordano Berti, who is known as one of the leading Tarot scholars in the world.
In this way I came into contact for the first time with the Sola Busca Tarot.
Unfortunately, there were only historical explanations in the Encyclopedia.

I wrote to Lo Scarabeo and they sent me Sofia Di Vincenzo's book with an introduction by Giordano Berti.
While reading the Di Vincenzo's comments to each figure, I had a burst of light in my mind. Indeed, more explosions!
At each figure, I mean, at each explanation, I felt something moving inside me, but I didn't understand what.

Then, at the beginning of 2013, I went to Milan to see the Sola Busca Tarot exhibition organized at the Brera Gallery.
The figures was completely different from the version attached to the Encyclopedia!!!!!
I mean, from the Ancient Enlightened Tarot.
In that occasion I bought the Meneghello's deck, the first version, the one with the 22 Triumphs only.
The paper is awful, but at least the figures and colors are close to reality.

A few months later a bookseller in Bologna told me that Berti had put on the market the edition made in Germany by Wolfgang Mayer in 1998 https://solabuscatarot1998mayer.wordpress.com/about/

But I didn't have the money to buy it.
Then, as the months went by, the price of that deck kept going up and I gave up.

One year later bought the Adams book, but not the Scarlet Imprint deck.
I found the book too full of things. I do not know how to say.
It looks like the frame of a Dan Brown novel.
I understand that Adams has done extensive studies but it seems to me that he gets lost in the maze of history.
I mean, I don't think his conclusions are realistic.
This matter of the Saturnians seems to me "illuminated" by the conspiracy theories that have been in vogue in recent decades.

I left aside the Sola Busca Tarot until the summer of 2021, when I learned that Berti was curating a special edition of the Sola Busca for the Renaissance for the 1600th anniversary of the foundation of Venice.
As is known, the Sola Busca was painted in Venice in 1491.

As soon as that deck came out, I immediately bought it: the magnificent SOLA BUSCA GOLDEN EDITION!!!!
https://rinascimentoitalianartenglish.w ... n-edition/

In the box there was an invitation to follow Giordano Berti's video course on the Sola Busca Tarot.
I let myself be carried away by enthusiasm.
Now, with an absolutely perfect version of the deck, I felt ready to take on the study.

I have already written in a post on this forum about my enthusiasm for Berti's video course.
I want to repeat here: it is one of the most beautiful things that have happened to me in recent years.
The simplicity of language, the fluency of the concepts and above all the practical part led me to understand what lies behind these splendid cards.

Berti explains that the first level of the course is deliberately simple, to allow everyone to enter into the logic of these figures without filling their heads with too many ideas.
I also found the dossiers that Berti prepared very useful to facilitate the memorization of figures and meanings.

So, I know I'm still standing on the surface but I look forward to the Master launching the second level.

Hello to everyone from Paola Maria

PS:
There are some freely accessible lessons on the Berti's website.
Those who love the Sola Busca Tarot would do well to see them

https://giordanoberti.podia.com/courses ... nfilio-mp4

https://giordanoberti.podia.com/courses ... a-contents
Attachments
TAROCCHI SOLA BUSCA vari.jpg
WaterPuppy
Seer

Post by WaterPuppy »

pmbreader wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 10:45 As is known, the Sola Busca was painted in Venice in 1491.
I understand that views don't universally agree on this point.

Some theory places the creation in Ferrara at or for the Estee family. Another proposes a scenario where the Estee family had it produced for a noble man in Venice and links homoerotic elements of the deck to it. A third one identifies a specific artist from Pavia and mention the connections with the Sola and Busca families who are also from Pavia.

This is all from memory alone. I cannot access my files from where I'm at present, so double check.

What is the reference resources you use for the deck being painted in Venice please ? I'd love to add it to my files. Thank you
Spring comes and goes,
Grass grows, and I
Scoop dog poop.
FraterIndomitus
Seeker

Post by FraterIndomitus »

Can someone scan the whole book and convert it to PDF please, I will try to share it in all of the forums and threads of people that really want to read the book and understand what's the deck is all about. I've been trying to read this book for more than a year, please help me out.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

FraterIndomitus wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 23:01 Can someone scan the whole book and convert it to PDF please, I will try to share it in all of the forums and threads of people that really want to read the book and understand what's the deck is all about. I've been trying to read this book for more than a year, please help me out.
Absolutely not. We don't deal in fakes, bootlegs or unauthorised scans here.

Just buy the book. Its quite beautiful and well worth every penny the author and publisher ask for the work, skill and talent required to bring it to the world.

Return to “Sola Busca Study Group”