This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Marigold's Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

A special 12-Day reading to greet the change of season. From Nemia's Four Corners of the Year reading exercise.
Diana
Sage

Marigold's Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

Post by Diana »

Day 1 18.9. Ludi magni games - Roman games in honour of the god Jupiter, celebrated with circus performances. This card reflects the spirit of celebration in your life, and how you can bring more joy and playfulness to yourself and others.

Cards from the Tarot de la Rea (Alain Bocher)

LA JUSTICE VIII

DelaRea_Justice.jpg

Not a card one usually associates with joy and playfulness. It had me stumped for a while. But then something started to appear and it grew and this is what it is :

We reap what we sow. This is karmic law. So if I want to reap joy, I must sow the joy. If I want to reap laughter, I must sow the laughter. If I want to reap merriment, I must sow the merriment. The joy and laughter and merriment that have been reaped after the sowing can then be shared further and wider and equally of course, as this is only just. It is not to be hoarded but enjoyed at a feast to which all are invited.

Also, human justice was designed for men. But there is a higher justice.

For it has been said that we are not to judge by appearance, but by righteous judgment. By not judging according to my own concepts and constructs, I will free the other to pursue their own journey, without any personal judgment, to accept that they are solely responsible for their destiny as Buddha discovered and taught.

And then I can just watch with full acceptance, and even with wonder, their own particular journey and path which seems sometimes strange and unsettling when I judge by appearance and my own personal sense of judgment. And they will be grateful for my acceptance and their hearts will surely sing in their newfound freedom.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Re: Marigold's Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

Post by Diana »

Day 2 19.9. Day of Our Lady of La Salette - an apparition of the Christian Mother of God/Holy Virgin. She brings message of hope to humanity. Where is your personal source of hope and spirituality?

THREE OF BATONS

3 Batons rea.jpg

The Mercury sign on this card is very appropriate for this special day, as Mercury is associated with Hermes, the messenger of the gods. Mercury in alchemy equates to the spirit or mind (the inherent power of consciousness).

Beyond the barren trees (though they are rich in vitality and life due to their red colour) is a mysterious kind of blue mist.

The number three speaks of evolution and development.

The mist seems to be calling me, telling me to go beyond the barriers of my own personal mind and walk into the mist with faith and trust.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truly is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern". William Blake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpQjD-rX0g
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 11:44 LA JUSTICE VIII
Not a card one usually associates with joy and playfulness. It had me stumped for a while.
I had the same thing on the first day, a decidedly serious card about work.
That's what i love about this exercise, and about tarot really, is it forces you to look at things differently.

There are a lot of cards that would point to "Party time" a lot more easily than what we drew. And I think it fits with coming of Autumn. It's time to look deeper, even at light hearted things.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 15:13
I had the same thing on the first day, a decidedly serious card about work.
That's what i love about this exercise, and about tarot really, is it forces you to look at things differently.

There are a lot of cards that would point to "Party time" a lot more easily than what we drew. And I think it fits with coming of Autumn. It's time to look deeper, even at light hearted things.
I'd noticed you had a serious card too. Made me feel less alone !

This is actually not the most easiest of exercices these Sacred Days. But hugely rewarding. As you say, it really forces us to look at things differently. I was really really stumped for quite some time with Justice.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 3 20.9. Sedna, Inuit Goddess of the Sea - This card asks you to address your fears and shadows before the winter comes, like the Inuit did in their Sedna festival.

LE SOLEIL XVIIII

Soleil rea.jpg

This is a strange card for a question on shadows and fears. All that light and the sun is high in the sky, there should be few shadows here. I had to close my eyes for a while and tried to still my mind. Then this came without warning. I see that even the two people on the card are mentioned.

It’s a poem by Lord Byron that I've have always had great fondness for. What a poet he was this Byron.

DARKNESS

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went—and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their desolation; and all hearts
Were chill'd into a selfish prayer for light:
And they did live by watchfires—and the thrones,
The palaces of crowned kings—the huts,
The habitations of all things which dwell,
Were burnt for beacons; cities were consum'd,
And men were gather'd round their blazing homes
To look once more into each other's face;
Happy were those who dwelt within the eye
Of the volcanos, and their mountain-torch:
A fearful hope was all the world contain'd;
Forests were set on fire—but hour by hour
They fell and faded—and the crackling trunks
Extinguish'd with a crash—and all was black.
The brows of men by the despairing light
Wore an unearthly aspect, as by fits
The flashes fell upon them; some lay down
And hid their eyes and wept; and some did rest
Their chins upon their clenched hands, and smil'd;
And others hurried to and fro, and fed
Their funeral piles with fuel, and look'd up
With mad disquietude on the dull sky,
The pall of a past world; and then again
With curses cast them down upon the dust,
And gnash'd their teeth and howl'd: the wild birds shriek'd
And, terrified, did flutter on the ground,
And flap their useless wings; the wildest brutes
Came tame and tremulous; and vipers crawl'd
And twin'd themselves among the multitude,
Hissing, but stingless—they were slain for food.
And War, which for a moment was no more,
Did glut himself again: a meal was bought
With blood, and each sate sullenly apart
Gorging himself in gloom: no love was left;
All earth was but one thought—and that was death
Immediate and inglorious; and the pang
Of famine fed upon all entrails—men
Died, and their bones were tombless as their flesh;
The meagre by the meagre were devour'd,
Even dogs assail'd their masters, all save one,
And he was faithful to a corse, and kept
The birds and beasts and famish'd men at bay,
Till hunger clung them, or the dropping dead
Lur'd their lank jaws; himself sought out no food,
But with a piteous and perpetual moan,
And a quick desolate cry, licking the hand
Which answer'd not with a caress—he died.
The crowd was famish'd by degrees; but two
Of an enormous city did survive,
And they were enemies: they met beside
The dying embers of an altar-place
Where had been heap'd a mass of holy things
For an unholy usage; they rak'd up,
And shivering scrap'd with their cold skeleton hands
The feeble ashes, and their feeble breath
Blew for a little life, and made a flame
Which was a mockery; then they lifted up
Their eyes as it grew lighter, and beheld
Each other's aspects—saw, and shriek'd, and died—
Even of their mutual hideousness they died,
Unknowing who he was upon whose brow
Famine had written Fiend. The world was void,
The populous and the powerful was a lump,
Seasonless, herbless, treeless, manless, lifeless—
A lump of death—a chaos of hard clay.
The rivers, lakes and ocean all stood still,
And nothing stirr'd within their silent depths;
Ships sailorless lay rotting on the sea,
And their masts fell down piecemeal: as they dropp'd
They slept on the abyss without a surge—
The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,
The moon, their mistress, had expir'd before;
The winds were wither'd in the stagnant air,
And the clouds perish'd; Darkness had no need
Of aid from them—She was the Universe.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 4 21.9. Eleusinia - an ancient Greek holiday, commemorating Demeter and Persephone. She has to leave the world of growth and abundance and descend to the realm of death. This card reflects grief, sadness and the traces of tears in your life. Acknowledge and honour them.

THREE OF CUPS

3 de Coupes rea.jpg

Are these cups full of tears ? There was a time in my life, a time of sorrow and mourning and period of such darkness that I’d forgotten what the notion of happiness was. I remember asking a friend “did I used to smile ? I don’t remember”.

But all these trials and tribulations have brought me to a better place. This I know and I acknowledge. I honour those tears which bathed me and purified me.

Always when I am doing a reading, there is some verse, some poem, some quotation that comes to mind. There is always a message and for this too I am grateful. Today, when I draw this card which speaks of grief and sadness, I was reminded of this :

I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron (Isiah 45:2).
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 5 22.9. Meditrinalia - an ancient Greek holiday honouring the goddess of healing. Think about your healing process and how you can continue it. Where do you draw strength from? How can you heal and nurture yourself in the future? Pamper yourself today and close these twelve days of introspection with healing thoughts

IIII L’EMPEREUR

Empereur rea.jpg

A rather imposing figure this one. But not menacing. He looks almost dainty the way he’s sitting. He’s an Emperor and seems to rule both over the earth and sea and the sky - his red dynamic shoes are resting on blue waves and/or blue clouds.

The eagle is ready to spread its wings, but is still earthbound. Normal, this is a number 4 and an Emperor. They’re both earthy things.

So now I am reminded that if we are to be masters of our universe, if we are to exercice full authority over it, we must first be willing to be the servants of Spirit. Or so it is said.

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

“Your prayer will not be an asking or a seeking for any thing; it will be an asking and a seeking and a knocking for more light, greater spiritual wisdom, greater discernment.” (Joel S. Goldsmith)

The Emperor also therefore gives thanks to the Empress for inspiring him. Without her, he would not be able to create what has been brought forth from her.

As we are supposed to pamper ourselves today, I will have a long siesta. All afternoon if needs be. And wake up all fresh as a daisy. Or a marigold. Or a daisygold. The translation I should be doing will wait.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 6 23.9. Autumn Solstice - Libra - Mabon - the day of perfect equilibrium. A day for two cards. What is growing in your life, what is decreasing? This two-card reading reflects the balance of your energies and, if there is imbalance, what you need to address.

What is growing : 3 of Coins
What is decreasing : 7 of Batons

Mabon .jpg

We are not here in the mental or spiritual realm – both the coins and the wands indicate this. Here we get down to earth. Which is exactly what’s happening. I’ve spent countless hours and days and nights in the recent past in profound meditation. Every minute I could was devoted to acknowledging the presence, the kingdom that is within me. I have had clear glimpses of it and I spent many blissful moments up there on cloud nine. But there is always a time when we must get back to earth – we can’t stay up there all the time, or else one is better off living in a cave in the mountains. So I’ve returned. 3s are about creativity, putting thoughts into action, but also reconciliation and dialogue. The 2s are no longer separate, they work together. Projects have been started in several domains and they all seem to fit together seamlessly.

Seeing the fruits of my meditation, fruits I never would have dreamed of, I think I know now what is meant by “Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (……..). But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

I like it that the coins are in the form of a triangle. “When the mind knows itself and loves itself, there is a trinity, a trinity of knowledge, love and awareness.”

7 of Wands is on the decrease. This is just the prequel I think to the 3 of Coins. To quote Carole Sédillot, “The trial is over, the choice has been made. Action triumphs thanks to the evolution of consciousness and rules over matter.” I don’t need to struggle anymore. I can rest, knowing that the energy of the Ace of Batons will be my driving force. All I need is to stretch out my hand to touch it and to feel its flow through me.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 7 24.9. Brazil holiday of Maiso, mother goddess - what is the role of your mother in your life, how do you mother yourself/father yourself? Reflect on the maternal/paternal archetypes within yourself, and how you can make them work for you, not against you.

TEN OF SWORDS

10 Epées rea.jpg

My mother was one of the wisest women I’ve ever met. She was the Papesse incarnate. This card reminds me of how her clarity and her vision bore me up with wings whenever I was in trouble or in need. We were so close and I used to wonder sometimes whether she was an angel who had taken human form. Just by being in her presence, people felt a calm and a peace that was difficult to describe.

This card is full of light and colours and the swords all converge into a central point – it is that centre that I would like to reach. That centre when the whole world seems to be tumbling down around us, but still, we stay calm and there is no panic nor fear. That was what my mother was like. The waves would crash, the bombs would fall (literally) – but she was always confident that a solution would be found.

This is what I am striving for, and in some measure, have achieved. I quote again from scriptures : “And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.”

That lord is the Buddha consciousness, the Christ consciousness. Right there at the centre point where the 10 Swords converge. My mother I think lived and moved in this consciousness. Or else she would not have had the impact she had on all those who knew her. When she died, an old friend of hers wrote to me to to say he'd never met anyone who had such an aura of peace -it was like a halo.

I love you so much, Mum. I love you so much. Twenty-five years ago, you left this earth. And twenty-five years later, I still long for your presence and your loving embrace.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 8 25.9. Greek holiday Pyanopsia - Thanksgiving for the fruits of the sun. Wind white or purple wool around a laurel or olive branch, and hang or arrange fruit around it. These don't have to be actual fruit - you can write on a paper things that you are grateful for. What is the fruit of your past action, ripening now?

Oh my, I already drew that card once. And on day two I had the 3 of Batons, on day four the 3 of Cups, on day six the 3 of Coins. That’s interesting. 3 of Swords is the only 3 missing. I wonder if it’ll turn up before the end of these autumnal days.

THREE OF COINS

3 Deniers rea.jpg

Those three coins look like they’re spinning in perfect harmony – always in movement and in perfect harmony like a beautiful symphony. They remind me of the planets.

I will hang on the laurel branch my gratitude for the laws of the universe which are always unchanging and true and which work without my having to lift a finger – the sun comes up each morning, the stars come out at night. The planets dance in their never ending spin like whirling dervishes. I am grateful that I can just rest in the knowledge that there are things beyond my ken, but the activity of which provides visible fruits and gives signs when they are ready to be picked. It is unwise to pick a fruit when it’s not yet ripe, or to force a rose to unfurl its petals. But in time, the rose unfolds itself and the waiting is well worth it. We have to trust that it will open. Because it's a law of nature.

I love this card and its perfection. It may well be one of my favourite cards in the deck.

I wrote the first part of this post this morning, but didn’t have time to post it. Since then, I meditated at some points during the day, and after the last one, I opened a book by Joel S. Goldsmith to read a few paragraphs – I love books and their wisdom. One of the paragraphs said something like this “Of course, one can consider God as love.. which it is. But it is also important to remember that God is LAW.” I like it when writers sometimes refer to God as “it” – as this doesn’t anthropomorphise God.

This mention of God as Law fits in with what I was saying above about the laws of the universe… of which I am part and therefore must also be governed by Law. And I'm grateful also for The Tarot. And how what she reveals corresponds to my life... if my eyes are willing to see.

I’LL TELL YOU HOW THE SUN ROSE (Emily Dickenson)

I’ll tell you how the sun rose, -
A ribbon at a time.
The steeples swam in amethyst,
The news like squirrels ran.

The hills untied their bonnets,
The bobolinks begun.
Then I said softly to myself,
"That must have been the sun!"

But how he set, I know not.
There seemed a purple stile.
Which little yellow boys and girls
Were climbing all the while

Till when they reached the other side,
A dominie in gray
Put gently up the evening bars,
And led the flock away.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 9 26.9. Holiday of Neptune - This is a card about anger and anger management. Contemplate about how you deal with negative feelings. Is there a way to transform negative energies into positive ones, making your anger pull your carriage and drive you on?

I was curious to see which card I would draw as last week I was pushed to the edge and got really angry with someone and kind of lost control. The person had it coming but the whole thing turned against me because for a few days I felt horrible physically and mentally. And it still haunts me somewhat. It felt like all my cells had been displaced and were behaving in a chaotic manner. I'm not quick to anger normally so it shook me this powerful surge of anger and hostility.

So now I draw the card :

QUEEN OF SWORDS

Reine d'Epées rea.jpg

A very appropriate card. And it seems to be telling me that she who lives by the sword dies by the sword. The arrow I shot came right back to pierce me. Her sword is upright - it is not menacing at all.

The Queen is reminding me to put up my sword and to not resist evil. Thank you for this. It's the hardest lesson of all that one - to not resist evil. I know how it is to be done.The realisation is more difficult.

This day’s card and question troubles me. I did not live up to my standards when suddenly I exploded, like a volcano erupting. The hot lava is still burning my skin.

I must take some time to work on doing some specific healing work for myself. Because the the guilt, even the shame, for not having lived up to my standards and values, to my highest sense of right, makes me feel diminished and weakened. I failed myself.

Forgiving others is easy. Forgiving oneself is always harder. I spoke recently to a spiritual mentor about self-forgiveness and how difficult it is. He told me that the only self-forgiveness that is required is to forgive oneself for ever having believed that there is a separation between God and man. So back to the drawing board for me.

Edited to add: Although since my outburst, the person who received my wrath had changed almost radically their attitude towards me. So are there occasions when anger is beneficial ? For the situation it was clearly. But for me... that's another story.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

This last card, the Queen of Swords, and the issues surrounding it has been bugging me all day. I did the reading early this morning and when it was well into the night, did I finally get a "message" - the kind I usually do. Sometimes it's a poem, sometimes it's reminder of a verse or a quotation, sometimes it's a prompt to open a page in a book. I was finally led to open one of my books. I didn't find what I was looking for immediately, but after paging through it, I found it : "Love your adversary, it is your Saviour in disguise". This is the message I was waiting for. I thank whatever channel through which it came (insert heart smilie here).

But not only that, I had been questioning all day long this issue of anger. I realised that what had upset me so much about my fit of anger is that it was ego driven. I don't like anger that's ego driven.

But anger can be legitimate. Anger, rather Great Anger, has been one of the driving forces in all my political or social activism. But this is anger that is not ego driven. And it has never came back as an arrow to pierce me. It has never been a sword that turned against me after slaying my enemy. It never hurt me that kind of anger. The tear gas may sting the eyes, but the heart remains intact.

So tomorrow morning, I will join the climate change demo organised by the students and youth in my town. Thousands of people are expected. Because yes, this desecration of the planet and of humanity must cease. And if anger is present, then so be it. I will welcome it. I will use it. And it will take me where it will. I'm ready. And if a Sword is needed, I will use it well. But I don't think swords will be necessary tomorrow at a most likely peaceful demo. But I will take it out, polish it, sharpen it, ... because it may be needed in the future at different types of demos or actions. A recent reading warned me that if I take up activism again, I may burn myself out. But the whole f-ing planet is burning.

This anger will not be ego driven. And so it will cause no disturbance within and peace and anger will cohabit. And work together as friends. No, no, that's not right, rather as "de vieux camarades".

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." That too, he said, the great Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_pERWHFNE
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 10 27.9. Vendémiaire - month of the grape harvest in the French revolutionary calendar month. Raise your glass to your big and small achievements in the last year, either with wine or grape juice, and enjoy your success.

Oh my, the exact same card as yesterday. The Queen of Swords. This is most surprising.

Reine d'Epées rea.jpg

But obviously, the message is different as the question is different. So what is she telling me this time, this Queen ?

I raise my glass (of sherry) to all the obstacles I overcome. I never deviated from the path that I had chosen and walked it even when I needed a machete to advance through the thick jungle. There were tigers and snakes and venomous spiders, but they didn’t harm me. I felt their presence but they didn’t step on to the path I was tracing.

Here’s to courage and perseverance.

And now off to the climate demo. With a Sword rather than a machete. VIVE LA RESISTANCE !!!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 11 28.9. Maha Navami - a Hindu holiday celebrating goddess Durga's victory over a demon. Part of the celebrations is chanting. Reflect on a victory you want to win over the next three months, and devise a chant for it. Write it down where you can see it and envision the joy you will feel when you reach this goal.

QUEEN OF CUPS

Reine de Coupe rea.jpg

There is one more problem to solve. It is not yielding or doesn't seem to be. But still, harmony must be.

This chant is called "Quench your thirst".

Drink from this chalice,
Then offer this chalice,
But for it to open,
first pronounce the Secret Word.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Day 12 29.9. Rosh HaShana - beginning of the Jewish New Year. It's a Jewish custom to send greetings and good wishes to people in your life. Use this day to focus on the people who are important to you, what you can do to strengthen your ties to them, and contact at least one person you have neglected lately.

FIVE OF COINS

5 Deniers rea.jpg

There’s that flower at the centre of those coins that are gravitating around it. Centre is centre. So centre can only be one thing.

The person I’ve been neglecting lately is me. Most days I don’t even take time to eat properly and have lost weight and I shouldn't - I should be rather be gaining some. I’m not sleeping enough hours and I wonder sometimes what it’s like to not feel tired. My room where I spend most of the time needs tidying and reorganising. Also my energy is hugely focused on other people and looking after them and their needs.

Maybe it’s time that I consider my needs to be as important as others. I don’t know how to do this very well though. I’ll have to contact myself to discuss this.

I had been wondering if the 3 of Swords would be drawn for this last day of these Sacred Days of the Autumnal Exquinox. Because I had drawn the 3s of the other suits. I will therefore consider that this 3 of Swords is the missing link here and will use it to teach myself a bit more about how to look after myself and my needs.

3 Epées rea.jpg
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I just want to say that these Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox were really extremely interesting. It's hard to put into words, but somehow that daily discipline, done with others because group work is always enriching, causes some kind of a shift. A shift in consciousness I suppose. We become much more aware of how we are functioning and at what level, and by drawing several cards for different aspects of our lives, we have a really good overview and any imbalances or any triumphs really stand out. When we take all the cards together and speak with them, dialogue with them, they really help us to better grasp the intricate mechanisms that are taking place sometimes at an unconscious level.

All my readings led up to the last one - although each one was precious - which was to start looking after myself again as there is now again space and time to do so, and it was heeded to pretty rapidly - I knew it would have to be done anyway so the time was ripe. Room all reorganised and loads of old stuff gotten rid of (it's shared with my little granddaughter when she's here so it's full of her toys and an inordinate amount of dolls - how is it that she's collected so many dolls I wonder and have given it much thought and come to the conclusion that there are elves that deposit them when we're not at home). Redecorated the walls and door with more of her drawings and art so it's all colourful and bright and happy. Appetite has returned a wee bit and am no longer losing weight (I don't have any eating disorder, I just don't take time to eat as I'm too busy doing more interesting things.) Now I just have to figure out whether going to bed at ungodly hours to wake with the birds every day is maybe not such a good idea. I dunno. I'm pretty tired mentally sometimes - maybe what they call brain fog. Physically I'm full of beans though and I like being a night owl.

Anyway, all this to say in conclusion that once again, Cult of Tarot has proven to be a very special place in the Tarotsphere. It's absolutely unique and I wouldn't know where else, apart from when one is reading in solitude and quiet, can one have such magical moments of communion with the Tarot. I would actually never have thought that I would find such a place as CoT - I thought all the tarot forums would be the same and similar as all those I'd known before. When I come over here, and please don't laugh at me, I always come over with a wee bit of reverence !
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

❤️🙂
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019”