This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Sacred Days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

A special 12-Day reading to greet the change of season. From Nemia's Four Corners of the Year reading exercise.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Sacred Days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

Post by Joan Marie »

This is from the Four Corners Of the Year group reading exercise which was introduced to this forum by our beloved Nemia. My hope is that as many of you as possible will join in. It is a powerful exercise that brings an intensity to the change of seasons.

Below is the exercise just as it was originally posted by Nemia, except I have updated the date for Rosh HaShana for 2019.

Please respond to this thread and share with us the deck you have chosen to use for this shared activity which begins September 18th. When it starts, each of us will open a thread and use that thread for the duration of the 12 days.

Using the Tarot this way, to connect with celestial changes and ancient rites and traditions, is one of the most deeply spiritual and profound ways I have found to experience these cards that I love so much.

🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

The wheel of the year rolls on and everything moves - our Earth rotates around the Sun, the Moon around the Earth, and our whole solar system travels through a galaxy. Humans have aways measured time by watching the celestial events. Four of them are especially meaningful - the two solstices and the two equinoxes that mark the beginning of a new season. Many festivals and holidays in different cultures reflect and celebrate their importance.

Let's enrich our lives by exploring each of these sacred events. Through twelve days, we draw a daily card from a deck chosen with love and care, and focus on the energies of each special day. Doing it as community gives special power to this personal ritual.

Day 1 18.9. Ludi magni games - Roman games in honour of the god Jupiter, celebrated with circus performances. This card reflects the spirit of celebration in your life, and how you can bring more joy and playfulness to yourself and others.

Day 2 19.9. Day of Our Lady of La Salette - an apparition of the Christian Mother of God/Holy Virgin. She brings message of hope to humanity. Where is your personal source of hope and spirituality?

Day 3 20.9. Sedna, Inuit Goddess of the Sea - This card asks you to address your fears and shadows before the winter comes, like the Inuit did in their Sedna festival.

Day 4 21.9. Eleusinia - an ancient Greek holiday, commemorating Demeter and Persephone. She has to leave the world of of growth and abundance and descend to the realm of death. This card reflects grief, sadness and the traces of tears in your life. Acknowledge and honour them.

Day 5 22.9. Meditrinalia - an ancient Greek holiday honoring the goddess of healing. Think about your healing process and how you can continue it. Where do you draw strength from? How can you heal and nurture yourself in the future? Pamper yourself today and close these twelve days of introspection with healing thoughts.

Day 6 23.9. Autumn Solstice - Libra - Mabon - the day of perfect equilibrium. A day for two cards. What is growing in your life, what is decreasing? This two-card reading reflects the balance of your energies and, if there is imbalance, what you need to address.

Day 7 24.9. Brazil holiday of Maiso, mother goddess - what is the role of your mother in your life, how do you mother yourself/father yourself? Reflect on the maternal/paternal archetypes within yourself, and how you can make them work for you, not against you.

Day 8 25.9. Greek holiday Pyanopsia - Thanksgiving for the fruits of the sun. Wind white or purple wool around a laurel or olive branch, and hang or arrange fruit around it. These don't have to be actual fruit - you can write on a paper things that you are grateful for. What is the fruit of your past action, ripening now?

Day 9 26.9. Holiday of Neptune - This is a card about anger and anger management. Contemplate about how you deal with negative feelings. Is there a way to tranform negative energies into positive ones, making your anger pull your carriage and drive you on?

Day 10 27.9. Vendémiaire - month of the grape harvest in the French revolutionary calendar month. Raise your glass to your big and small achievements in the last year, either with wine or grape juice, and enjoy your success.

Day 11 28.9. Maha Navami - a Hindu holiday celebrating goddess Durga's victory over a demon. Part of the celebrations is chanting. Reflect on a victory you want to win over the next three months, and devise a chant for it. Write it down where you can see it and envision the joy you will feel when you reach this goal.

Day 12 29.9. Rosh HaShana - beginning of the Jewish New Year. It's a Jewish custom to send greetings and good wishes to people in your life. Use this day to focus on the people who are important to you, what you can do to strengthen your ties to them, and contact at least one person you have neglected lately.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Sacred Days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019

Post by Joan Marie »

I know it's still a little early, but I think I've decided on using my Spirit Keeper's Tarot for the Sacred Days Readings.
It's got that sepia colouring and a kind of stark but intricate design that feels very Autumn-like to me.

For me I think it fits the mood and purpose of this activity.

SKTV02.jpg
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Gonna use the Osho Zen Tarot for this one.

My Sacred Days thread
Start strong
End stronger
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Joan Marie, I would love it if possible to use a playing card deck for this as I've been sticking to playing cards this month. I would like to use Uusi's Pagan Playing Cards. If a tarot deck is a much then I will use the Tarot of Delphi.
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Genna
Seer

Post by Genna »

I´d like to use my Tarot of a Moongarden.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

qndynes wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 19:21 Joan Marie, I would love it if possible to use a playing card deck for this as I've been sticking to playing cards this month. I would like to use Uusi's Pagan Playing Cards. If a tarot deck is a much then I will use the Tarot of Delphi.
Use what you are feeling. That's all that matters.
SilverLining
Seer

Post by SilverLining »

I would like to do this and use Chrysalis.
*SilverLining*
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

The Sacred Days are about to start. Excited as to how my reading will turn out.
Start strong
End stronger
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Will be joining.

Will use the Tarot de la Rea by Alain Bocher. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-de-la-rea. He gifted it to me a long long time ago as a thank you for doing some translations for him. I've never ever used it, the cards have been lying sad and forlorn in their box all this time.

The Aeclectic link only refers to him as an artist. But he's more than that. He's devoted his life to the Tarot and has written extensively on it. His official website seems to have disappeared. I wonder if he's still with us.

Look forward to this.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Marigold wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 16:49 Will be joining.

Will use the Tarot de la Rea by Alain Bocher. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-de-la-rea. He gifted to me a long long time ago as a thank you for doing some translations for him. I've never ever used it, the cards have been lying sad and forlorn in their box all this time.

The Aeclectic link only refers to him as an artist. But he's more than that. He's devoted his life to the Tarot and has written extensively on it. His official website seems to have disappeared. I wonder if he's still with us.

Look forward to this.
This is gorgeous! I've looked at this deck before but with it being out of print I always just look longingly and move on.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

qndynes wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:03
This is gorgeous! I've looked at this deck before but with it being out of print I always just look longingly and move on.
It is incredibly striking. Alain Bocher is also an excellent calligrapher and one can see this talent in the lines that he draws. Our correspondence came to a halt when I did my long Tarot hiatus. I regret it now. Perhaps one of the only things I regret from those times. He's also fascinated by the Forest of Brocéliande, the forest of King Arthur, near which he lived in Brittany and he spoke often of its magic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broc%C3%A9liande

I also regret not having kept up my correspondence with Kris Hadar. But he became bedridden in much pain and I believe this sort of ended abruptly the huge work he was doing for the Tarot of Marseilles. He was writing a massive book (he sent me the first chapters) and each word was a feast.

Getting hugely off topic here. Nostalgia does that to one.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Marigold wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:10
qndynes wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:03
It is incredibly striking. Alain Bocher is also an excellent calligraphist and one can see this talent in the lines that he draws. Our correspondence came to halt when I did my long Tarot hiatus. I regret it now. Perhaps one of the only things I regret from those times. He was also fascinated by the Forest of Brocéliande, the forest of King Arthur, near which he lived in Brittany and he spoke often of its magic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broc%C3%A9liande
That is beautiful. I didn't know about this forest but I do love the Arthurian mythos.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just realised that Marigold opened a separate thread for her readings and I think that is a really great idea.

I encourage everybody to do that if you can. It's much better organised and easier to work with that way.

I started mine the old way and then moved it to it's own thread.

Thanks Marigold, that seems like such the obvious way to do it, yet all this time we haven't.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Oh, I just wrote you a PM about this.

Actually, I believe in your instructions you said to open individual threads. Maybe at the time you meant to write topic, but I took you at your word.

Yes, it's nice to have them separate. Also if people want to react or make comments, it's easier that way.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 12:15
Actually, I believe in your instructions you said to open individual threads.
You're right, I did say that! Funny, I meant the wrong thing (the old way) but said the right thing ( how you did it).

Well anyway, thanks for doing it right! It's so much better this way.

And by the way everyone, since you have your own thread, it's your choice how you want to do it, either one long post, adding to it each day or 12 individual posts.

Whatever makes the most sense to you.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 12:28
And by the way everyone, since you have your own thread, it's your choice how you want to do it, either one long post, adding to it each day or 12 individual posts.

Whatever makes the most sense to you.
At the same time, if people make a separate post for each day, it'll be easier to see that they've posted something new. Otherwise they'll just be edits and there'll be no indication in the "New Posts" that something has been added. The New Posts thingy is what people head to first normally I would think when they log in. If there are no signs of updates, the thread will go lower and lower in the Active Topics section also and may be missed.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

I see. I guess this thread will just serve as a catch-all thread where we can discuss the decks we used, our current progress, emerging patterns in the cards that we drew, etc.

I'm all for it.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Amoroso wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 14:38 I see. I guess this thread will just serve as a catch-all thread where we can discuss the decks we used, our current progress, emerging patterns in the cards that we drew, etc.

I'm all for it.
Exactly.

You can copy and paste what you've done so far Amoroso and save all the formatting you did (copy from the editing mode).
Paste your formatted text into a new topic, just go HERE and start a new topic for your readings.
Then you can go back and delete your post in this thread, keeping things tidy.

Please let me know if you need any help.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Done, JM.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just realised that today's (Day 5) said something about "closing off the 12 days" . That's my mistake. I swapped today (Meditrinalia) for Rosh Hoshana which actually falls on the 12 day this year. I should have adjusted the wording.

Sorry if that confused anyone.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

We've reached the end of the Sacred Days. This reading has been productive for me, so thanks for hosting this, JM.
Start strong
End stronger
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

To everyone who participated in the sacred day readings, thank you for sharing this experience.
I know there are people who do this activity but not online, and just know your presence and power was felt.
Its not an easy exercise but I always find it very enlightening.

I hope you got something out of it to.

I also hope you will join me in December for the Sacred days of the Winter Solstice.

Starting next Monday I'm bringing back My Celestial Week so I hope you'll consider joining me for that too.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I want to thank you Joan Marie for organising this. You went to a lot of effort to research all these holy days and to find something relevant and worthwhile for us to explore.

What a special place this is. I'm honoured to be a member of this very fine forum.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:19 I want to thank you Joan Marie for organising this. You went to a lot of effort to research all these holy days and to find something relevant and worthwhile for us to explore.

What a special place this is. I'm honoured to be a member of this very fine forum.
I'm so glad you feel that way.
I cannot however take credit for the daily plan. That was all Nemia.

I should have linked to her original post where she explains the whole idea behind the Four Corners of the Year.
Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=81

Another one of her brilliant and thoughtful posts.
I miss her a lot. I hope she returns soon.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:55
I cannot however take credit for the daily plan. That was all Nemia.

I should have linked to her original post where she explains the whole idea behind the Four Corners of the Year.
Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=81

Another one of her brilliant and thoughtful posts.
I miss her a lot. I hope she returns soon.
Yes, I had already had the opportunity to read it.

I miss her too. And that's strange in a way, because I hardly know her. Before she took what seems to be an extended break, I had only just joined CoT so our interactions were fleeting and brief. But I've always felt that Nemia is sort of part of the SOUL of this forum. It's odd how someone one hardly knew can be so sorely missed !

Return to “Sacred days of the Autumnal Equinox 2019”