This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Sept. TdM Sign-Up

All activity for the Sept TdM reading group found here.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Sept. TdM Sign-Up

Post by Charlie Brown »

WELCOME AND WELCOME BACK EVERYBODY!!!

Respond to this thread before Sept. 8th in order to take part in September's Tarot de Marseille reading circle. Readings will be due by Sept. 22 and feedback must be returned before the end of the month.
  • Since we haven't had our circles in a while, I thought we'd start in with good old-fashioned cartomantic lines, preferably of the more lengthy variety.
  • More experienced TdM readers should aim for a 5, 7, or even 9 card line, based on how you perceive the question. If you are newer to TdM, then the 3-card line is probably recommended.
  • In addition to the main line, readers can feel free to add whatever sorts of regarding draws (is that the right term?) that they normally use. For example, when appropriate, I will often draw a card to put under Le Bateleur's table to indicate what he's trying to hide. I think that Marigold likes to see who is spinning the Wheel of Fortune.
  • This month may be done full deck or majors-only. My personal preferences are these: 3 cards = majors only, more than 5 cards = full deck, 5 cards can go either way or even majors plus Aces or majors plus Aces and signifiers if the question is right.
  • Newer TdM readers, please take note. In the past, there's sometimes been a little confusion about "cartomantic" lines in TdM vs the kind of no-spread readings you find on facebook or your favorite basic three-card spread. Here's a good explanation from @BreathingSince72:
This month I thought we could continue our experiment of reading in a cartomantic line, using visual clues like line-of-sight and the stories the images tell. I feel like I need to define with greater precision what it is to read a line in the cartomantic style. And I am going to start by stating what it is not. Reading in a line is not your standard three card spread. This form of reading will not have the customary “body, mind, spirit’ or “past, present, future” sort of position assignment. Instead, the goal is to read the cards all together. In doing so, we hope to discover a clear, unified message.

The message of the cartomantic line can be a sentence, a story, or even just a single word. Or, it might be something else entirely. Sometimes it will come from the tarot's optical language and sometime's it might come the tarot's numerical and symbolic structure. Sometimes we read from the center outward. Sometimes we read from the outer cards to the central cards. When reading five card lines, we may use the first three cards as how the situation developed, the last three as an indicator of where the situation is going and draw an additional card as guidance. If there are characters in the cards, we might look at what they are doing with their hands, the directions they are looking and what they tell us within the context of the question.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Re: Sept. TdM Sign-Up

Post by Diana »

Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 02:40 For example, when appropriate, I will often draw a card to put under Le Bateleur's table to indicate what he's trying to hide. I think that Marigold likes to see who is spinning the Wheel of Fortune.
Actually I don't, but it's an excellent idea.

I'm in. Looking forward to seeing who I'll be partnered with. Thanks for organising this Charlie Brown.

Question: You mention 3, 5, 7 or 9 cards. What is the reason for the odd numbers ? Why not 4 or 6 or 8 ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I don't know. I've pretty much only seen odd number lines being done and am not sure I've ever seen even numbered lines referenced in the literature. You do have a clearly central card with an odd number, which can be important depending on how you read as well as a certain internal dynamism to the line.

I haven't done much with the longer lines but, if I have the time, I'll post a 5-card line I did a little while back. The reading turned out very well and accurate. I think seeing how I went about it might generate some interesting discussion. I definitely had to push myself.

p.s. I don't think there's any way to know the true history of this, but I wonder if the tendency for using odd-numbered lines originated because of the significator. That is, one rooted through the deck until the significator was found and then read the cards on either side of it. Just a notion in my brain. I think Caitlin Matthews and Andy B are right that we really don't use significators properly and effectively these days.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I'll join in!

Just to add to the discussion, to me it makes more sense to use a "significator" that stands for the issue or question, rather than the questioner. For example, the Emperor for "how should I deal with my boss in this work situation?"

Which would work well as a center card of a 5 card line, I'm thinking. I call it a "chosen card." I like to cut the deck on the chosen card and deal from there. If I'm going to use it as the center card, I'd use the two before and the two after.

But then, it's usually helpful to see what we get randomly to represent the issue, instead . . .

Just a thought!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Rachelcat wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 16:49 Just to add to the discussion, to me it makes more sense to use a "significator" that stands for the issue or question, rather than the questioner. For example, the Emperor for "how should I deal with my boss in this work situation?"

Just a thought!
Thanks, Rachelcat.

I've made a post in another thread as a response to this, so that we don't take the sign-up too far off-topic. The advantage, as I see it, of having a card that solely represents the questioner or a person important in the reading is that it makes it easier to see what is affecting them. With the Emperor, for example, there are a whole slew of connotations to that card that may or may not be relevant to the individual in question. I tried to give a cool example of how I see old-school, content-neutral significators as being able to work in TdM.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:52 I haven't done much with the longer lines but, if I have the time, I'll post a 5-card line I did a little while back.
I'd like to join in this month. I hope you do post your 5 card reading because I don't have much experience of reading a line and I'd like to see how you approached it.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Count me in as well. How can I say no to good ol' cartomancy.
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

dodalisque wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:02
Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 15:52 I haven't done much with the longer lines but, if I have the time, I'll post a 5-card line I did a little while back.
I'd like to join in this month. I hope you do post your 5 card reading because I don't have much experience of reading a line and I'd like to see how you approached it.
I'm delighted to see both you and qndynes. I you want a look at the three card lines, I think there were a couple of months that the club has done them previously.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

dodalisque wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:02 I'd like to join in this month. I hope you do post your 5 card reading because I don't have much experience of reading a line and I'd like to see how you approached it.
I did this just for you:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=1810&p=10797#p10797
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Here are our pairings thanks to a random number generator

Qndynes reads for Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown reads for Rachelcat
Rachelcat reads for Marigold
Marigold reads for Dodalisque
Dodalisque reads for Qndynes

Readers, please make a post with the following format: Sept TdM: [Person X] reads for [Person Y]

Return to “09 Sept Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”