This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

General oracle cards

The Oracle Decks with their many varied themes & styles & moods are becoming favoured by more and more lovers of cards every day. Discuss your favourite Oracle decks, where you find them and how you use them.
venus0q
Seeker

General oracle cards

Post by venus0q »

Hello,

I am a certified Doreen Virtue oracle card reader..who has started her journey with the tarot.The tarot I find relatively easy as theres a set method or a somewhat universally acknowledged method of dealing with them but as far as other "non Doreen Virtue" oracle cards are concerned I have quite a few of them and Iam just confused as to what is the best way of reading them..follow the booklet it comes with,your intuition or is there any other set method of approaching and reading these cards..?

Some of the cards that i have include..

Myths and mermaids oracle cards
Whispers of love oracle cards
Faerytale oracle
Journey of love oracle
Gospel of Aradia oracle
Witchlings oracle

Thank you and all suggestions and advice welcome..
Taniya..
Libra
Sage

Re: General oracle cards

Post by Libra »

I go entirely intuitive with Oracle Decks. In fact, I have decks that don't even come with a booklet at all! I'll take the "vibe" of the card, the color schemes, elements that come up, if it reminds me of quotes or stories or characters, the posture/mood of any figures on it, and more that I'm forgetting lol, into account. I'm not a huge fan of oracle decks that have keywords on them or too narrow of a theme - I find those really limiting! I need the deck to have a range of experiences it could be representing, like a tarot deck does. Anything too fluffy doesn't feel useful except as an occasional pick-me-up kinda reading.
Intuitive tarot to inspire & empower @ www.ResonatingReadings.com
venus0q
Seeker

Post by venus0q »

Hello Libra,

Thank you for your answer..yes reading oracle cards can be tricky and I know what you mean by decks that have long messages and words written on each of them..the Doreen Virtue decks come to mind..but thank you so much for your answer I really appreciate it and its made me feel Iam on the right track with them..

Just another question..Do you employ another set of methods for reading for "other" people or is it the same as reading for yourself?

Taniya.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I'll have an eye on this thread. I'm interested in oracles in general (like Milo DuQuette's book but didn't try all the techniques yet!) but didn't see an oracle deck until now that made me feel I need it. I'm interested in all forms of cartomancy and would love to start using oracle decks, but too many decks I saw look limiting to me, with too circumscribed meanings.

Oh, thinking about it. There are two decks I'd LOVE to have!

Ducksoup's genius Madame Loviise's Scorned Oracle - doesn't it look wonderful? I'd love to have the Estonian version. This is just crazy enough to leave much room for my own intuition. I love Freder's creativity, he's one of a kind.

Another totally unique creative genius is Patrick Valenza from Deviant Moon. His Mildred Payne oracle attracts me as much as Madame Loviisa does.

Thinking about it, both decks have some things in common. The fictive backstories, the willingness to include "negative" cards, the retro-vibe and the strong artistic vision.

I'd love to have them but I don't know if and how I could read with them! Thank you for this thread, let's hope i'll pick up some ideas :-)
I Sunshine
Sybil

Post by I Sunshine »

Reading what others are saying about oracles reminds me of my first deck which was and is extremely powerful. Does anyone else own or have you read with the "Oh Cards"? I have had some very pointed and spot on readings with them many moons ago. Do not know why I do not use them more often now.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

venus0q wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 16:28 Hello,

I am a certified Doreen Virtue oracle card reader..who has started her journey with the tarot.The tarot I find relatively easy as theres a set method or a somewhat universally acknowledged method of dealing with them but as far as other "non Doreen Virtue" oracle cards are concerned I have quite a few of them and Iam just confused as to what is the best way of reading them..follow the booklet it comes with,your intuition or is there any other set method of approaching and reading these cards..?

Some of the cards that i have include..

Myths and mermaids oracle cards
Whispers of love oracle cards
Faerytale oracle
Journey of love oracle
Gospel of Aradia oracle
Witchlings oracle

Thank you and all suggestions and advice welcome..
Taniya..
I was certified in 2016 but stopped using the cert when her whole conversion thing exploded and she wasn’t behind the teachings anymore. Hay House refunded me. With that said, Radleigh Valentine offers a terrific little certified angel tarot readers course. I love Radleigh. I love his gentle, authentic energy and his sense of humor..

Now to answer your question. The booklets can be helpful. Give them a couple of read through. But some of the best things you can do are to spend lots of time connecting with the cards in your own way and grounding before you read. I find that doing little things to create sacred space before I read really boost the atmosphere. Another thing that will help you is to simply trust your intuition. Say what you see. Spit it out. You got this. 😉 I think in general, the principles that worked effectively for you in reading the Virtue cards will work for you now.

Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

I mainly start with the explanations that the book offers. If the oracle deck is compelling, I'd do some research on the subject of each card, and from there extend my repertoire of meanings.

I use two oracle decks that tap the divine masculine - the Promethean and the Gods and Titans - and this approach works well on them. I would use a different tack on oracles that are idea- rather than subject-centric.
Start strong
End stronger
SaturnCeleste
Seer

Post by SaturnCeleste »

My general reading is 3 tarot cards and an oracle. I like the oracle cards with one word but they have to be a direct word. One word, not phrases or sentences. venus0q, I notice you have Witchlings. That's a really fun deck and the verses are on the card. It's one of the exceptions of my oracle decks collection. The book that comes with it includes spells.
Some of my favorites are
Shamanic Healing
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sh ... cle-cards/
Vintage Wisdom
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vi ... om-oracle/
White Rabbit
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wh ... it-oracle/
Symbolon
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/symbolon/
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I have not been much of an oracle user until recently but now like to use them alongside tarot. Favourites include pretty much all of the decks Will Worthington has produced:

*Green Man Tree Oracle (recently rereleased as Spirit of Nature Oracle)
*Camelot Oracle
*Druid Plant Oracle
*Druid Animal Oracle
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I generally don't use oracles too much, but I *adore* my French-language edition DV Magical Unicorns deck. Otherwise, I do have a couple that I'll use from time to time. The images in the decks I favor tend to be on the abstract side and, as such I don't really pay much attention to the book. For example, whether or not I choose to even use the keyword, do I really there's any kind of set meanings I need to pre-learn for a card like this? Most of these decks aren't a coherent system like tarot or lenormand.
faith.jpg
I believe in Crystal Light.
AncientMother
Seeker

Post by AncientMother »

Well, I just did an inventory of all the decks I own. It is a lot! 11 are True tarot types. 21 are oracle types! Some have books, some don’t. I use them all when the muse hits. My first deck was Robin Woods, before that I used regular playing cards in my teens. I still love the classic feel of Woods deck. I have two different Thoth decks, two Visconti decks Sforza and Carey Yale, Rohrig, Sacred Circle, Rosetta and tabula Mundi, Cosmic, Morgan Greer, Hanson Roberts and lastly my fave Brotherhood of Light.

For the Oracle decks I use Medicine Cards,AnimalWise, Celtic Book of the Dead, Sacred Geometry, Osho, Druid Animal,Voyager, Kabbalah,house of Night, Hidden Realms,Wisdom of Avalon,Enchanted Map,, goddess Knowledge, Ancestral Path,Sacred Circle,Animal Speak,MahJongg , crystal Journey, Runes, Archangels, andAngel Messengers. Whew! I didn’t realize how many I’ve accumulated!

I like them all but the one I really get into deep is the mah Jong deck, seriously it has great visuals and meaningful insights when direct questions need direct answers. I also like SacredCircle for the art affinity I feel. I’m an artist and artisan and I like the pictorials.

What is your fave? Or faves?
Let there be light
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

AncientMother wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 14:04 What is your fave? Or faves?
I have to confess I have been a sort of "Oracle snob" until recently. I have precious little experience with using them but I am starting to see the fun of them, the art of them and the usefulness.

I've actually tentatively decided that out next group deck should be an Oracle and we have brainstorming thread going.

Right now we are trying to suss out a topic or theme to hang our hats on, something that will work for a group. It's an interesting challenge and it requires I think, really taking a look at Oracles that exist and seeing how they assigned a topic and the carried it out.

It's not as easy as it looks! :D We have a lot of good ideas and thoughts right now but for anyone, especially if you are an Oracle user, we need your input please.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Yesterday I placed an order for:

The Illuminated Earth Oracle by Claire Mack

generally speaking, I'm not at all into any cartomantic practices outside of the Tarot, although I very (very) briefly played around with Lenormand, Kipper, playing cards. I picked up Madame Endora's Fortune Cards again after a long absence, but discovered they didn't resonate, actually, they didn't exactly resonate years ago either.

Clair Mack's Illuminated Earth Oracle blew me away instantly!
She's an extraordinary artist and there's not a hint of any superficial contrivance in her work, at least IMHO.
Speaking for myself, her Oracle deck is visceral, visionary and dynamic.

The keywords and images compliment each other elegantly, the art is profound in it's subtlety, and evokes mental images and meanings transcending the card titles.

The packaging is eye-candy and the design for the card backs is equally captivating.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Natural Mystic Guide
Seer

Post by Natural Mystic Guide »

I use some oracle decks -- It just depends on what seems appropriate for what issue/question we are exploring. Interesting, too, are the Tarot/Oracle combos, of which I now have two. These are the Cosmos Deck by Grey Lab; and the Bottanical Deck by Jessica Bott. The oracle cards add an interesting dimension.
Yesterday I placed an order for:

The Illuminated Earth Oracle by Claire Mack
This deck is on my wish list. The art is exquisite. I am very sensitive have a strong aesthetic sense -- very subjective, of course. Gorgeous visuals that please me are the very first prerequisite for me in evaluating a deck. I'm looking forward to playing with the Claire Mack 'The 'Illuminated Earth Oracle'.
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

I'm absolutely loving oracle decks right now. They're exciting to get to know and work with, because each deck is different. I like finding out what kinds of questions they read well for. I also find that oracle decks work MUCH better for me for daily draws than tarot decks do. And oracle decks are great for small spreads of two or three cards. One can go very deep with them.
Right now I have the Yogic Path Oracle and the Vintage Wisdom Oracle. The deck-stork is bringing my Les Vampires oracle home to me soon. I'm eyeing many more decks.
I think that while often, oracle decks aren't as widely applicable to questions and types of readings as tarot, when you have a question and an oracle deck that is SUITED to answer that question, you get really deep readings. At least I do.

Return to “All Things Oracle”