This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Advice needed please guys

A place to discuss and share your esoteric interests beyond Tarot. Please see the full description at the top of the main page.
Forum rules
Forum Description
This area is for discussions of all the esoteric practices that don't have a specific category on this forum. There are so many fascinating things that people who read tarot also engage in that enhance and enrich their lives and their cartomancy endeavours.

Please feel free to share or inquire about anything you like in regards to esoteric, divination and spiritual traditions.

If any category in this area starts to break out a bit, I will create it's own sub-forum.
J of the J
Seeker

Advice needed please guys

Post by J of the J »

Six years ago, in my flat, used to have questionable people who I used to let in, to do with drugs. Used to have this one guy in, I nicknamed him 'the dark one', from Hackney. He was born in Jamaica and raised by his grandmother. To cut a very long story short, I went away for a few months, during this time, lost tenancy to this flat. Found out when I came back, my friend helped my then partner clean out my flat. When I saw her eventually a year after this happened, she gave me a tarot card pack, she said she found it on top of kitchen cupboards, hidden away. This was a Aleister Crowley deck of tarot cards. This was the last thing on earth I expected to receive from her. I have done a lot of research in the past on the occult etc, so I knew who Aleister was and his particular practices. Someone had placed this, hidden, in our flat for a reason. My intuition tells me why and who. So, wise ones, advice please as to why someone would have left such a dark, occult, tarot pack hidden in my flat, and for what reason do you think this was left in my home. I burnt the tarot pack when I got home. Around that time in my flat I felt something was very wrong. Used to have two outside cameras, and at night used to see these mists of orbs, with their own mind, moving like a living entity outside my windows. From thereon, let's just say, life changed for me in quite a dramatic way. ADVICE PLEASE guys as to why this pack was left in my home. Love and Light to you all. xxx
HOLMES
Sybil

Re: Advice needed please guys

Post by HOLMES »

Welcome, i see this is your first post.

There is nothing inherently evil in the thoth tarot.
It could be that particular deck may had bad juju if you believe you picked up energy put into it by the person.
But it could be you burned an innocent deck looking for its new master.:)
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Hi J of the J

If this person wanted to intentionally scare you with the occult, there is a lot of things they could have done (drawn glyphs on the walls, made threats, all kinds of bizarre things) that would have been discovered a lot sooner. Given that people were coming in/out of there all the time with narcotics and other questionable behavior? The most likely explanation is it simply got put there by someone who drunk or high and they forgot about it.

People who are really scared of things like Satanism, Aleister Crowley, magic, tarot, tend to have a lot of anxiety and paranoia- which can lead to them doing something referred to as "calling their fears" which is basically they are so scared of something "dark" that their imagination takes control and they start to experience what they were afraid of, because they are so afraid.

This is how a lot of people end up haunted :P It isn't actual ghosts, its their mind telling them there might be a ghost and suddenly they see and hear things.

I promise that deck didn't do anything bad. I hope you feel better soon.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Whatever happened in your life, you can be certain that a pack of cardboard images was not responsible for it. Aleister Crowley cultivated his dangerouns image carefully, imho for ego reasons and to appear more powerful, but there is nothing sinister about his Thoth tarot. I personally use it for nearly 30 years. It's based on a strong tradition and was painted by a talented artist, i.e. the deck is not "pure Crowley" anyway.

Crowley's contribution to the deck is probably the best thing he ever did. In all my years with the deck, I've never found it anything but an honest mirror that helped me understand what goes on in my life.

Somebody must have forgotten the deck in your apartment.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

HOLMES wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 01:38 But it could be you burned an innocent deck looking for its new master.:)

😢

I gotta concur here with all these responses.

Your reaction to hearing Crowley's name associated with this deck is one I'm sure a lot of people have.
It's an unfortunate misunderstanding of a remarkable deck of Tarot cards.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

Joan Marie wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 07:38 Your reaction to hearing Crowley's name associated with this deck is one I'm sure a lot of people have.
It's an unfortunate misunderstanding of a remarkable deck of Tarot cards.
I dislike Crowley, I think he was a contemptible person, regardless of whatever contributions he made to occult knowledge. But I don't think his deck would have negative energies attached to it as a result of his involvement. Decks have lives of their own, sometimes despite whatever intentions their creators had for them. The reason I wouldn't use his deck is for the same reason I wouldn't read his book: they feel icky because they're associated with him, but they don't have any of that ickiness inherently. It's me who feels icky about it, you know?
I don't have a problem reading with other Thoth-based decks. Although they draw on his legacy, they're made by other people and he's not really involved. One of my favourite decks, the Parrott tarot, is Thoth-based and I read it without referring info from the Book of Thoth. I just study astrology and Kabbalah separately and use that knowledge instead.
Everyone has different boundaries and some people can separate the person from his work completely, and good for them! But I personally feel icky, and if burning a deck made you feel cleaner and safer, so be it, I guess – although I think of burning a deck as kind of extreme. I've never come across a deck of cards that feels as though it inherently has malicious energy. But I do find that my decks behave differently, sometimes against my expectations and against the vibe of their imagery... so I don't think decks are just paper drawings we project on, either. But I would never know what a deck's 'energy' or personality was if I never worked with it.
testpattern
Seer

Post by testpattern »

I'm woo-skeptical, but even if you do believe that there is something non-material that can inhere to a pack of pasteboard cards, the power that they have comes out in the reading. Leaving a pack of cards laying around can have no more effect than an unread book or a Betamax video cassette in the back of a cupboard.
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

I think Tarot is more than just playing cards, though for example, far safer than Ouija. And like having antivirus on the computer we should give some thought to the protection of our tarot decks.
If the Crowley Deck used to hex 'J of the J' had a missing card or two, then would destroying the pack have had the desired effect? Like throwing out burnt toast, would there still remain an unpleasant allure!

Personally, I like subpersonalities. (Which makes sense really when dealing with Tarot).
One of my more assiduous sub-characters is Capt Potlid. He flies zeppelins for the Indian Tea Company and can sometimes pick up a stowaway. He's good at finding those hidden negativities deep down in the dark corners of the ship. And whatever they might be he deals with it efficiently, regardless of what I think.
By the way, what I like best about the Captain is his first mate who is always a female disguised as an officer. Unlike the Captain I can always spot a false beard.
J of the J
Seeker

Post by J of the J »

Thank you for your help everyone. J
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

HOLMES wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 01:38 Welcome, i see this is your first post.

It could be that particular deck may had bad juju if you believe you picked up energy put into it by the person.
Exactly my sentiment: poor deck! :roll: in general I think burning books & art ( including Tarot ) is sign of ignorance :twisted:
most likely previous owner just hid it somewhere *safe & later forgot where that was? :mrgreen:
as for orbs light etc all sorts of atmospheric phenomena are filmed on camera it's play of bad camera lense n light reflection
& if there is any *negativity you may feel I advise calling mold professionals they will know if there is something to worry about & how to fix it! :mrgreen:
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

reall wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 20:02
HOLMES wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 01:38 Welcome, i see this is your first post.

Exactly my sentiment: poor deck! :roll: in general I think burning books & art ( including Tarot ) is sign of ignorance :twisted:
I agree!

As the original poster was concerned enough to go through registration and membership to ask advice certainly shows how upset he was. I had a dubious piece of mail through my letterbox the other day and I remembered this thread. To deal with a disconcerting feeling I decided to use my oracle cards to dispel the bad vibe.
The letter was likely innocent of maliciousness. But the point here is not whether magic is real or can have an effect but the peace of mind it can generate has to be the more important.
reall wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 20:02...as for orbs light etc all sorts of atmospheric phenomena are filmed on camera it's play of bad camera lense n light reflection
& if there is any *negativity you may feel I advise calling mold professionals they will know if there is something to worry about & how to fix it! :mrgreen:
Several months ago my Stagg guitar amplifier developed a fault and stopped working. I opened it up to have a look-see and found that one of the smoothing capacitors in the power supply was actually loose. On closer inspection I found there was no solder left to maintain an electrical connection. In all my days as an electronics technician I have never seen or heard of this happening. Solder melts at approx 360 degrees and there should have been some burn marks around the capacitor. None of which were there, least of all any remaining solder.
I can not for the life of me explain this as the solder could not have just evaporated!
And in case you might be wondering if the amplifier left the factory with the fault, I had salvaged the Stagg from being thrown out at the thrift shop I had been working at the time. I made the repair job to a previously broken capacitor in the power supply, replacing it myself.
Unfortunately technical stuff can be tricky to talk about. I tried telling a work colleague about this and it all went over his head. He said I should buy a new amplifier - which of course was not the point I was making - such is life!
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

yes, *piece of mind is good point :mrgreen:

tech mysteries are special category sometimes explained by quantum physics (or mysterious materials some factory may use!? :mrgreen: )
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

reall wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:05tech mysteries are special category sometimes explained by quantum physics (or mysterious materials some factory may use!? :mrgreen: )
:lol: Quantum physics! Its times like these I wish I'd went to school. Thanks dude.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Ciderwell wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 17:31
reall wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:05tech mysteries are special category sometimes explained by quantum physics (or mysterious materials some factory may use!? :mrgreen: )
:lol: Quantum physics! Its times like these I wish I'd went to school. Thanks dude.
lol never underestimate power of self taught! it's just an expression we use when *normal laws of physics can't explain what happen as quantum physics sure have perfectly good answer for anything! :mrgreen:
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

J of the J wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 20:58 Used to have two outside cameras, and at night used to see these mists of orbs, with their own mind, moving like a living entity outside my windows
I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to put your mind at ease about the orbs and the tarot. I saw a video of someone researching orbs, and when the researcher converted the film footage of the orbs to a negative image and slowed it down, the wings of an insect could clearly be seen fluttering within each of the orbs. The light reflecting off the wings as they move in a semicircular manner at such an imperceptibly high speed gives the illusion of an orb of light. If there happens to be mist in the air, then that light is going to interact with it to produce an even more ghostly effect.

Although your intuition might tell you that the tarot deck was placed there on purpose for some sinister reason, leaving behind a commercially available tarot deck does not, in my opinion, have the hallmark of a bona fide attempt at cursing someone. If it was such an attempt, you can sleep well in the knowledge that it was such a lame attempt that the person who did it can't really be that serious about the whole thing; however, your focusing on the possibility of something sinister going on is far more likely to bring about something negative than all the spells or curses that anyone else could cast. Focus on the good, and the good will be attracted to you.

I think it is more likely that the deck was placed there to get it out of the way and then forgotten about. I have purchased a number of vacant houses over the years to fix up and resell, and I have found the strangest things hidden in the strangest places, especially on top of kitchen cabinets. When people are in a panic to clean up before guests arrive, they have a tendency to start hiding stuff everywhere, especially if one of their guests would be disapproving of a particular object so that the object needs to hidden well out of reach or chance of discovery.

I am not a fan of either the Thoth deck or Crowley; however, I think the Thoth is one of the few positive contributions that Crowley made to society (as most artwork is). As far as any negativity associated with Crowley, I believe that to be about 50% self-professed deviancy on his part and 50% tabloid hype. If Crowley were some type of dark spirit, I can assure you that he has better things to do than hang around in your kitchen. He is more likely to be hanging out at a strip club, or some other den of perversion.

Return to “Esoteric Traditions & Divination Practices”