This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Alchemy - Wrapping my brain 'round it.

A place to discuss and share your esoteric interests beyond Tarot. Please see the full description at the top of the main page.
Forum rules
Forum Description
This area is for discussions of all the esoteric practices that don't have a specific category on this forum. There are so many fascinating things that people who read tarot also engage in that enhance and enrich their lives and their cartomancy endeavours.

Please feel free to share or inquire about anything you like in regards to esoteric, divination and spiritual traditions.

If any category in this area starts to break out a bit, I will create it's own sub-forum.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Alchemy - Wrapping my brain 'round it.

Post by Joan Marie »

Have you ever seen a really intense documentary (any Adam Curtis fans out there?) or read a book about an historical period or event, and you're really moved by it and feel like you've really learned something complex and new and then you try to talk about it to someone and your mouth opens and ...nothing comes out? Then eventually you mange to half-mumble some incoherent useless comment like, "It was so...interesting."

That's me and Alchemy.

I find the topic so...interesting...but regardless of having read a bit, watched some youtube docs on it, etc I could no more coherently explain a single concept of it than I could recite the phone book.

But recently I was recommended a book called Mercurius by James Harpur

I'm only about 50 pages in, so I can't say too much except that it is a novel whose story revolves around the Alchemical arts. For me, this is a much better way to grasp the concepts, put into the form of a story.

I just want to share a line from it that I read just this morning and I thought it was relevant in light of a recent discussion on the forum regarding the meaning of the Court Card & Elements. I also just thought it was a concept that could be applied in a lot of ways if you consider all the things "fire" can represent metaphorically.

Here's the line:
Neglect the fire and it roasts like the bonfires of hell; heed it, and it nourishes like the light of heaven.
book.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
katrinka
Sage

Re: Alchemy - Wrapping my brain 'round it.

Post by katrinka »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑11 Jul 2019, 10:37 Have you ever seen a really intense documentary (any Adam Curtis fans out there?) or read a book about an historical period or event, and you're really moved by it and feel like you've really learned something complex and new and then you try to talk about it to someone and your mouth opens and ...nothing comes out? Then eventually you mange to half-mumble some incoherent useless comment like, "It was so...interesting."

That's me and Alchemy.

I find the topic so...interesting...but regardless of having read a bit, watched some youtube docs on it, etc I could no more coherently explain a single concept of it than I could recite the phone book.
I know what you mean.
Any of us who is into cards is going to bump into alchemical concepts. There's the marriage cards in the Grand Jeu AstroMythological Lenormand, Giordano Berti's wonderful Sibyl of the Heart, based on the Rosicrucian/Alchemical emblems of 17th Century mystic Daniel Cramer, the Tarot of the Holy Light...even the Thoth contains a bit of alchemical stuff.

So, basically, alchemy claims to turn base metals, such as lead, into gold. We all know that's impossible, but wait! It's metaphorical. It's almost like a Western form of Buddhism: you're saving yourself. Only it doesn't call itself a religion. I really, really respect that.

Then it goes into green lions and whatnot and...I just don't have the patience. I have so much to keep in my head already.
Maybe if the internet had existed when I was a teenager and I'd have had access to the information, it would be different, I'd have invested some serious effort into learning.

OTOH, kids these days get everything they do posted on facebook and snapchat. So it's probably for the best. :lol:
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
pooka23
Seeker

Post by pooka23 »

Excellent book, but quite a slog. I would highly recommend Mr. Harpurs nonfiction, especially Daimonic Reality.
devin
Sybil

Post by devin »

If anyone's interested in an epic (in both senses of the word) listen, here's the dearly departed Terrence McKenna on Alchemy and hermeticism. It's his take, of course, but it's an enjoyable one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzjrl24aHiQ
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑11 Jul 2019, 10:37
Neglect the fire and it roasts like the bonfires of hell; heed it, and it nourishes like the light of heaven.
We are all familiar with the positive changes that fire, or heat, brings to food when we are preparing a meal. If we let the fire go out the meal will never be ready; too much heat and the food gets burned. That's basically what "neglecting" the fire does in the spiritual life. "Heeding" the fire means getting the balance just right to achieve maximum deliciousness.

In our spiritual life we need a constant steady supply of enthusiasm or aspiration. Not too little, not too much. No indifference, no forcing. The Buddhist middle way is advocated. That's what alchemists mean by "heeding" the inner fire. If we lack that kind of "fire" we are spiritually dead, and "it roasts like the fires of hell". We tend to think that NOT to have a spiritual life is a pleasantly bland feeling but, compared to higher spiritual states, that very familiar "pleasantly bland feeling" is actually hellish. Our mind might not feel that anything out of the ordinary is happening but our souls are in torment, not happy.

We could also think of "fire" in the above quote as being equivalent to kundalini energy in meditation. At some point in our spiritual development this force awakens at the base of the spine and travels upwards through the 7 chakras, opening each in turn, bringing each time a fresh expansion of awareness, until it reaches the 7th or Crown chakra, at which point we achieve nirvana or God-realisation or, in alchemical terms, the Philosophers' Stone.

This kundalini fire is an activating force in the same way that the furnace, or athanor, brings about changes to the materials in an alchemist's laboratory. In alchemy proper the alchemist's own consciousness becomes co-identified with the changing materials. It's a spiritual metaphor but it's also literally true, apparently, at a physical or biochemical level. But that shouldn't strike us as strange. Doesn't Christ himself represent alchemical gold - metaphysical perfection made physical. The meeting place of timelessness and historical time. "As above, so below."

The suit of Wands, or Fire, is often associated with sexuality, or what Freud called the libido. Tantric yoga is itself a spiritual path that focuses mostly on the "heeding" of sexual fire, allowing the energy to build and become sublimated, i.e. to move to higher chakras so as to act as a catalyst for inner development. It's a pretty dangerous path, suitable only for brave strong souls in a hurry to make fast progress.

Catholic priests who take a vow of celibacy and then end up abusing children seem to me like classic examples of "neglecting" the fire. Inspired by the very highest motives they are guilty of forcing themselves to carry more fire energy than they are capable of containing. In alchemical terms they apply too much heat and break the vessel. If you try to fiercely control, or repress, sexual energy it will "roast you in the fires of hell." Celibacy has to be approached very carefully. It should never be thought of as giving up something. Sex is, among other things, like a valve for regulating the amount of inner heat in our system. In our spiritual life we gradually develop a tolerance for more and more inner heat.

It's funny how rapidly a "simple" explanation of alchemical terms tends to degenerate into confusion.
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

My two go-to books are Alchemy the Art of Transformation by Jay Ramsay and Alchemical Psychology by Thom F. Cavalli.

Wicca took me to Tarot which took me to Astrology which took me to Archetypal Psychology which took me to Qabalah which took me to Kabbalah which took me to Neo-Platonic/Greek Philosophy which took me to Christian mysticism which took me to Alchemy along my 35 year long esoteric study path. Alchemy fit in nicely with everything but gosh it can still be really, really daunting to try and read classical works on it (same with Astrology and Kabbalah).

My "Aha!" moments with Alchemy come out best when my brain is able to translate one its concepts into being the same (or practically the same), just worded differently, into something astrology or archetypal psychology or kabbalah taught me.
β€œ Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑11 Jul 2019, 10:37"...But recently I was recommended a book called Mercurius by James Harpur

I'm only about 50 pages in, so I can't say too much except that it is a novel whose story revolves around the Alchemical arts. For me, this is a much better way to grasp the concepts, put into the form of a story..."
Thanks, I'm going to take a look at that novel. In a similar vein, you might enjoy, The Red Lion: The Elixir of Eternal Life, a 1946 Hungarian novel by Maria Szepes. (Cheap as an ebook, though not at all cheap in physical copies.) A page-turner for me that I think I first saw suggested in the Thoth section at AT.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Rose Lalonde wrote: ↑24 May 2021, 19:34 (Cheap as an ebook, though not at all cheap in physical copies.) A page-turner for me that I think I first saw suggested in the Thoth section at AT.
I just had a look and that book looks really good. And yeah, it is crazy expensive. The cheapest I've seen so far is $95.

I'd love to read it but I am not really a kindle user.

I have to think about this one though..

update: I just found a version in German fo €16. I'm not a great reader in German although I should be....hmmm...
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Along with the Patrick Harpur novel "Mercurius", my favourite book about Alchemy is "On Becoming an Alchemist: A Guide for the Modern Magician" (Trumpeter, 2008) by Catharine MacCoun. The latter was published in the wake of the Harry Potter craze, and I leafed through it listlessly expecting a pot-boiler. The title itself is a bit cheesy. Jeepers, was I wrong! The author turned out to be a genius - a true mystic and a superb prose-stylist. It's a masterpiece, dealing with concepts and inner experiences a million miles over my head with humour and clarity in a way that almost convinces me I know what she's talking about. I have read the book cover to cover about a dozen times and each time it's a mind-expanding revelation. It seems like a different book each time I read it. I bought multiple copies so that I could give them away to friends. Would you like me to send you one, JM?
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

dodalisque wrote: ↑25 May 2021, 17:12 Along with the Patrick Harpur novel "Mercurius", my favourite book about Alchemy is "On Becoming an Alchemist: A Guide for the Modern Magician" (Trumpeter, 2008) by Catharine MacCoun. The latter was published in the wake of the Harry Potter craze, and I leafed through it listlessly expecting a pot-boiler. The title itself is a bit cheesy. Jeepers, was I wrong! The author turned out to be a genius - a true mystic and a superb prose-stylist. It's a masterpiece, dealing with concepts and inner experiences a million miles over my head with humour and clarity in a way that almost convinces me I know what she's talking about. I have read the book cover to cover about a dozen times and each time it's a mind-expanding revelation. It seems like a different book each time I read it. I bought multiple copies so that I could give them away to friends. Would you like me to send you one, JM?
I ~really~ love that book. I'd forgotten how much until you mentioned it made me go hunt for it in the library and funny enough, it had gotten misshelved for some reason between the chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter in the wrong part of the room probably years ago. lol.
β€œ Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
sharmaakshay
Seer

Post by sharmaakshay »

its an excellent book

Return to β€œEsoteric Traditions & Divination Practices”