This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

New to Lenormand

Lenormand decks are coming into more popular use as their secrets are now being revealed and deck creators more frequently explore their unique aesthetic. Come here to discuss these ascending beauties.
Ioldanach
Seeker

New to Lenormand

Post by Ioldanach »

Hello,

I've only recently started learning Lenormand, and right now I'm memorizing the numbers and the cards, for example 1 is Rider, 2 is Clover...all that.
What I don't understand is "why?"

Why am I doing this? I mean, there will be a picture of a Rider, some Clover...all that on every card. Why am I memorizing the numbers associated with each card?

Thanks,
~I.
"A heathen, conceivably.
But not - I hope - an unenlightened one."

~ Lord Summerisle
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: New to Lenormand

Post by Charlie Brown »

Who told you you have to do that? It doesn't seem especially necessary to me. The numbers really only ever come in if you 1) use houses, which is kind of an advanced technique that lots of high skill readers don't even necessarily think much of or 2) use them to calculate quintessence cards in which case, a) you don't have to memorize the numbers, just look at them and b) quints in lenormand is, in my opinion, ridiculous.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Ioldanach
Seeker

Post by Ioldanach »

Charlie Brown wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 18:07 Who told you you have to do that?
Here ye go:
https://www.divinewhispers.net/apps/blog/show/21190215
"A heathen, conceivably.
But not - I hope - an unenlightened one."

~ Lord Summerisle
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, reading a GT is pretty heavy work and your link says that reading a GT is what knowing the numbers is good for. I'm sure she must be teaching houses. In any case, it doesn't strike me as a good use of time when you're just learning. You'll probably learn most of it unconsciously after doing lines and boxes for awhile.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Grizabella
Seer

Post by Grizabella »

It's the playing cards that I've not even tried to learn yet. I will maybe, but not at this time. The numbers on the cards---1 thru 36 in most decks---I just learned along with the names of the pictures on each card without making it a "I have to learn these" very conscious thing, if that makes sense. For me, it's the playing cards printed on the cards that I haven't relied on at this point, but I do understand how that's a little boost to the intuition when reading.

Your question is why do we need to know the numbers and I think that will be more clear to you as you go along. When doing a Grand Tableau with Houses or following the chain of cards in a Grand Tableau, then it just kind of simplifies the process, I think. If you're using an unfamiliar version of the cards, just seeing the number on each card will quickly translate into which image you've learned and you won't have to waste time trying to understand an unfamiliar image. One of the characteristics of Lenormand reading is being able to quickly recognize each card on first look. Of course, we go on to learn many other correspondences over the time we use the cards but that first look and immediate recognition of what's in the spread is still very important.

Coming back to say that I love the Grand Tableau and also the Grand Tableau with Houses. Those are what I use the most. I also sometimes follow the chain of cards in the GT. I think all readers of Lenormand just find their comfort level and I know there are many like me who use GT happily and love it.
This is the link to my website. Feel free to visit it: My Tippy Tea House I specialize in relationship readings but I read on all topics. I offer a wide variety of prices and offer coupons and gift certificates, so handy during the holidays. I will also barter for decks and other items.

Check out the great savings at my Christmas Super Sale.

Return to “All things Lenormand”