This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Near and Far in Lenormand readings- Andy Boroshenevig

Lenormand decks are coming into more popular use as their secrets are now being revealed and deck creators more frequently explore their unique aesthetic. Come here to discuss these ascending beauties.
qndynes
Sage

Near and Far in Lenormand readings- Andy Boroshenevig

Post by qndynes »

Hello, I've recently gotten really into Lenormand, tried a a few years back and wasn't ready, now I'm in at full throttle. Long story short, I have two decks on the way, Rana George's and The Cartomancer's Daveluy Lenormand in mini. I also have Rana's book on the way and purchased the digital copy of Andy Boroshenevig's book (which I'm completely loving). I really like the method Andy is laying out in the book, specifically the near and far/proximity technique (can't think of a better word to insert here). I have a question about using this technique in spreads that are not the GT. Ina box spread, 3x3, with a significator in the center, this wouldn't work so well as everything is around the center card. Is this proixmity technique best used in a GT or can I adapt to use it in non GT spread that are bigger than the 3x3?

And for well versed lennie readers, is it doable to explore bigger box spreads that are not the entire deck, say 5x5? What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Near and Far in Lenormand readings- Andy Boroshenevig

Post by Charlie Brown »

5x5, etc isn't really advisable, I think, because you're using such a high percentage of the deck at that point that it seems all it does is omit information rather than reveal. 4x4 would probably be ok card number wise, but then you're dealing with a 4-card line, which isn't so kosher either.

Yes, near/far comes fully into its own in the GT but you can view it as an extension of the principle of proximate attendance, so it can come into play over the course of long lines in a sense. But, really, it's best when you're laying out all the cards
I believe in Crystal Light.
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Andy's book is excellent. He's my #1 Lenormand teacher.

In his chapter on "Proximity - Being near or far to the significator and other key cards" (page 107), he says
"...[P]roximity is used in smaller spreads as well... Cards are near to cards they touch. More than two cards away is far..."

"Smaller spreads" refers to lines of cards, as well. So in a Line of 5, for example, the 2nd card is near the 1st and 3rd, while the 1st card is far from the 5th.

In a 3x3, you can have far cards relative to the significator, depending on where it's placed. This is explained on page 177.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

JudyK wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 16:23 Andy's book is excellent. He's my #1 Lenormand teacher.

In his chapter on "Proximity - Being near or far to the significator and other key cards" (page 107), he says
"...[P]roximity is used in smaller spreads as well... Cards are near to cards they touch. More than two cards away is far..."

"Smaller spreads" refers to lines of cards, as well. So in a Line of 5, for example, the 2nd card is near the 1st and 3rd, while the 1st card is far from the 5th.

In a 3x3, you can have far cards relative to the significator, depending on where it's placed. This is explained on page 177.
Oh thank you! I guess I got ahead of myself currently on page 87 and loving every bit of it. I was intrigued and fascinated by the method of proximity, something I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in tutorials etc. Thank you for the clarification and input. I will keep reading and practicing.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Charlie Brown wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 15:23 5x5, etc isn't really advisable, I think, because you're using such a high percentage of the deck at that point that it seems all it does is omit information rather than reveal. 4x4 would probably be ok card number wise, but then you're dealing with a 4-card line, which isn't so kosher either.

Yes, near/far comes fully into its own in the GT but you can view it as an extension of the principle of proximate attendance, so it can come into play over the course of long lines in a sense. But, really, it's best when you're laying out all the cards
Okay that makes sense, hm, will keep practicing and learning and see what unfolds.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I'm not looking to toot my own horn but I have a Charlie Brown lenormand lines thread that you can look at to see how I approach simple readings. My style emulates Andy B's.
I believe in Crystal Light.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Charlie Brown wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 18:27 I'm not looking to toot my own horn but I have a Charlie Brown lenormand lines thread that you can look at to see how I approach simple readings. My style emulates Andy B's.
ooh will look for it now.

Return to “All things Lenormand”