This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

4 Ways to Read a Lenormand Card

Lenormand decks are coming into more popular use as their secrets are now being revealed and deck creators more frequently explore their unique aesthetic. Come here to discuss these ascending beauties.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

4 Ways to Read a Lenormand Card

Post by Joan Marie »

The "Little White Books" that accompany most Lenormand decks really live up to their name. They are little. It seems there isn't a whole lot to say about the meanings of individual Lenormand Cards. And there isn't a whole lot of variation on those meanings from book to book.

But the brevity of these guides is misleading in regards to the richness of ways the cards can be read.

In Caitlin Matthews nearly 400 page book, The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook, she devotes all of 2 pages to the key meanings of the 36 cards.

But she also discusses the "gamut" of ways the cards can be read. (This is for the "speaking" cards, which I think are all of them outside of the significators, the Man and Woman)

She cites basically 4 ways every card can appear in a reading: Literal/Metaphorical/Symbolic/Suggestive

And she gives these examples:
  • Literal: Ship as ferry; Bouquet as a bunch of flowers; Book as a book you are reading
  • Metaphorical: Book as mystery; Paths as decision; Bear as Power
  • Symbolic: Clover as Luck; Child as innocence; Heart as love
  • Suggestive: Snake for bowels; Fox for a ruddy color; Fish for fluid
I think most of those seem pretty clear. The Snake can represent anything twisty or coiled. And Books, before you read them, hold secrets.

So what I want to try here as an exercise to learn some of the nuance of Lenormand is to take any card you like and see if you can find words that would describe in each of the 4 ways described above, Literal, metaphorical, Symbolic, Suggestive

To help readers know easily which card you are doing, start your post with the card name in caps, or if possible, post a pic of the card.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's interpretations!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: 4 Ways to Read a Lenormand Card

Post by Joan Marie »

LETTER

from The Friar's Delight Lenormand
from The Friar's Delight Lenormand

• Literal: Mail, email, a note, a performance review or evaluation
  • Metaphorical: A message from a dream, a "cry for help",
  • Symbolic: Personal communication (although not delivered personally),
  • Suggestive: Things made of paper (cards for instance), things folded, distance
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

This is a very useful thread. For me it's particularly handy, as I've joined this month's Lenormand reading circle, having never looked at a Lenormand properly. And definitely never used it except the other day to try and locate my mislaid Knapp Hall tarot deck. Am pleased to see that the "fish" I drew fits with what Matthew's says is "fluid" because I had read it as my deck being located not far from water (i.e. my bathroom).

Why is a snake suggestive for "bowels" for Caitlin Matthews ? I don't get it.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 18:02 Why is a snake suggestive for "bowels" for Caitlin Matthews ? I don't get it.
The Snake can represent anything twisty or coiled like bowels, or cables.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Ooo, can I play?

ANCHOR
anchor.png
anchor.png (137.28 KiB) Viewed 2288 times

Literal: Stopping, holding in place, weight, on the beach or under water, something attached to a boat

Metaphorical: Stuck, stability, control

Symbolic: Hope, Salvation

Suggestive: Metal, heavy, or pointy object, something tied with a rope

Anchor is a symbol for hope, often shown in a set of three for the theological virtues with a cross for faith and a heart for love. I have also seen art that shows a cross that looks like an anchor as a symbol of salvation.

I’m getting mixed up with my “literal” and “suggestive.” By looking at the examples, I think I understand the difference, just not so much for anchor!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Rachelcat wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 15:59 I’m getting mixed up with my “literal” and “suggestive.” By looking at the examples, I think I understand the difference, just not so much for anchor!
I think you got it just right!

I think for symbolic you could also add "The Sea" or even "Sailor"

Isn't an Anchor the classic sailor tattoo?

main-qimg-8db92b3a2bb50af6a6d100a9f213ac52.png
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Of course! Sailors!

I'm always thinking about medieval, Renaissance and Christian symbolism. But we should definitely think of tattoo symbolism when looking at cards, too! Like roses, knives, hearts, flowers, naked ladies, mermaids, etc.
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I'm pretty dubious about these last couple of posts because they seem to be conflating different symbolic traditions, which can be a recipe for slop, imo. I would think that the ship and the fish would both symbolize the sea before the anchor card would. FIrst and foremost, the anchor is something that stabilizes. Pretty much any interpretation of the card has to start from their, imo. I can definitely appreciate the idea of the anchor as hope but, for my practice at least, that would more likely be the star. I did look though, and, you're right, that the Game of Hope instructions, at least, identify the anchor as a hopeful card. I will also note though, that GoH seems to regard the card as wholly positive without any of the "weighing down" aspects. That seems wrong to me. I see that anchor as one of the more conflicted cards but those readers who see it as wholly negative are certainly wrong.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I didn't find this easy at all! But it can only improve. Thanks for any comments and suggestions or corrections.

TREE

Tree FD.jpg

Literal: nature, roots, branches

Metaphorical: family tree, nesting place

Symbolic: shelter, growth

Suggestive: height, hardiness

I didn't know whether hardiness should be symbolic or suggestive. Or metaphorical for that matter (LOL 😂)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Charlie Brown wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 20:19 I'm pretty dubious about these last couple of posts because they seem to be conflating different symbolic traditions, which can be a recipe for slop, imo. I would think that the ship and the fish would both symbolize the sea before the anchor card would.
I'm glad you brought this up because it is entirely possible I have at least somewhat misunderstood what Caitlin Matthews was getting at with this exercise.

In a reading, there are probably some "primary" meanings attached to each card, but depending on the question, some of the more secondary meanings might be more useful. So by looking at the cards to find keywords that are literal, symbolic, etc, we are finding more ways to interpret the card in certain situations.

I see what you mean though about the danger of taking that in wrong directions. For example one could start applying tarot symbolism, a completely different symbolic tradition, and change the character of readings entirely. There is the tendency to read the Lenormand Tower like the Tarot Tower, which is completely wrong.

So, while it is possible to see the Lenormand cards literally, symbolically, metaphorically, and suggestively, there are some symbolic traditions that need to be respected.

I am now even more interested in this exercise for the discussion on the different results and ideas people present.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 20:28 TREE

Literal: nature, roots, branches

Metaphorical: family tree, nesting place

Symbolic: shelter, growth

Suggestive: height, hardiness
I think to suggestive you could also add "slow" because trees grow slowly, or the idea of "time"
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Joan Marie wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 21:00 In a reading, there are probably some "primary" meanings attached to each card, but depending on the question, some of the more secondary meanings might be more useful. So by looking at the cards to find keywords that are literal, symbolic, etc, we are finding more ways to interpret the card in certain situations.
The distinction as I see it is between extrapolating meanings based on the core essence of the card as it exists in the system vs. riffing on the imagery. I think the moon card is a good example of this. IMO, the moon card is the hardest to figure out. But I hope that we all agree that the Lenormand moon is decidedly NOT a romance card. The essence of the Lenormand moon isn't lunacy, or the divine feminine, or, in the words Marx, those endless summer nights. The Lenormand moon is beautiful, yes, but it's distant. It reflects light. This is why many readers use it as the work card. If I'm the postman, you see me through my function, reflecting the light of my position and my performance. You don't see my collection of snow globes or know that I cry at Meg Ryan movies. Andy B. uses the word "adulation" to describe the core of the moon card but I'm not sure that's 100% right. It's probably better than what I have though. As I said, the moon's the hardest card for me.

In any case, there's a difference, I think, between asking ourselves "What are some metaphors for adulation as expressed through the idea of the moon?" and "What are metaphors for lunar symbolism?" Because, in the latter case, we get into all kinds of slop since the moon card is not, by itself, an emblem for all of our cultural repertoire surrounding the moon. Or, if it is, then one has turned it into just another oracle deck.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Charlie Brown wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 03:30
The distinction as I see it is between extrapolating meanings based on the core essence of the card as it exists in the system vs. riffing on the imagery. ......
In any case, there's a difference, I think, between asking ourselves "What are some metaphors for adulation as expressed through the idea of the moon?" and "What are metaphors for lunar symbolism?" Because, in the latter case, we get into all kinds of slop since the moon card is not, by itself, an emblem for all of our cultural repertoire surrounding the moon. Or, if it is, then one has turned it into just another oracle deck.
Thank you for this. Riffing is exactly the word for what I had us doing.

Let me think about how to better proceed with this exercise.

The thing is, I would very much like to get a dedicated Lenormand study area going on this forum. In addition to exercises like this (but better obvi), I'd like to work on some tableau readings (3x3, to grande) and generally create a place where Lenormand study is taken more seriously. I'd like it to be a place where people can practice and ask questions and have discussions.
I'm told that there is a kind of dearth of this online. There are Lenormand facebook groups, but facebook does not lend well to the kind of in-depth study we could do on this forum.

I am clearly, however, not the one to lead the effort.

I am open to ideas, suggestions, volunteers, etc.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

To be clear, I was just trying to throw my two cents in, not throw cold water on the whole thing.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I absolutely know that. And you didn't. But I appreciate getting hold of it before it spiraled out into nonsense, me being the one posting popeye pics.

Maybe we can just continue with this and see where it goes. But I really would like to put together something on this forum that was worthy of the Lenormand Oracle.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:35 I absolutely know that. And you didn't. But I appreciate getting hold of it before it spiraled out into nonsense, me being the one posting popeye pics.

Maybe we can just continue with this and see where it goes. But I really would like to put together something on this forum that was worthy of the Lenormand Oracle.
Well, I loved the popeye pic . I went to listen to the song immediately (I can't not resist listening to music when suggested !).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8O0PwGSoO0

I would be happy to continue in this vein, but will it not mess with my head for the future ?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:49 I would be happy to continue in this vein, but will it not mess with my head for the future ?
Let's please continue and we can critique along the way.

Use the LWB as a guide to the gist of the card and then work from there.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I'm gonna have another go here:

BIRDS

from Friar's Delight Lenormand
from Friar's Delight Lenormand

Literal: Tweeting (twitter), Pairs

Metaphorical: Excitement, Gossip, Chatter, Rumour