This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What is the 'official,' or traditional, Lenormand deck?

Lenormand decks are coming into more popular use as their secrets are now being revealed and deck creators more frequently explore their unique aesthetic. Come here to discuss these ascending beauties.
Nona
Seeker

What is the 'official,' or traditional, Lenormand deck?

Post by Nona »

You know, like how for tarot, everyone recommends the U.S. Games Rider-Waite deck in the ugly yellow box because that’s the one referenced in the vast majority of reading material available. Or, for Marseille, most people will say Grimaud is the only way to go (never mind that it isn't the most historical version on the market; it's the one that everyone and their Aunt Zelda learned on).

What is the Lenormand equivalent to those tried-and-true decks?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: What is the 'official,' or traditional, Lenormand deck?

Post by Charlie Brown »

There are probably a few but I'd reluctantly venture to say that the Dondorff pattern has pride-of-place. The Brepols is also very popular among serious European readers.

If you want something fancy go here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldLenormandC ... 0lenormand

If you want something cheap I like this:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Lenorman ... 54&sr=1-13
I believe in Crystal Light.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

I've heard the Blue Owl Lenormand is the definitive edition, but it would behoove you to get the Urania edition, as it will not have the keywords on it. Of course, if you're studying you may want to have them on there. It isn't exactly cheap though.
Nona
Seeker

Post by Nona »

fire cat pickles wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 19:58 Blue Owl Lenormand ... Urania edition ... It isn't exactly cheap though.
:?: There seems to be plenty of brand-new ones going around for less than $10.

Edit: Apparently, there's an identical box with AGM instead of Urania on it that's pricier.
leroidetrèfle
Seeker

Post by leroidetrèfle »

Nona wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 18:53 You know, like how for tarot, everyone recommends the U.S. Games Rider-Waite deck in the ugly yellow box because that’s the one referenced in the vast majority of reading material available. Or, for Marseille, most people will say Grimaud is the only way to go (never mind that it isn't the most historical version on the market; it's the one that everyone and their Aunt Zelda learned on).

What is the Lenormand equivalent to those tried-and-true decks?
Generally speaking, the closest to a standard Lenormand Oracle would be the “Dondorf” pattern initially printed in Frankfurt. It was both widely exported and issued in several variations. It’s still in circulation both independently and commercially.

The Brepols pattern, currently published by Carta Mundi, is one of the most widely distributed. It is also the set used in numerous French, Dutch, and German titles. Of note, it was the pattern used by Mary Marco and Jeanine Goffinet.

The so-called “Blaue Eule” is popular in Europe, but is by no means the European standard. That was the view promoted by certain teachers early on, but is an exaggeration.
DejaVoo
Seeker

Post by DejaVoo »

Excellent topic question...I've also wanted to know this!

I'm just beginning to learn Lenormand :)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

DejaVoo wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 22:55 Excellent topic question...I've also wanted to know this!

You might want to join our Lenormand reading circle.
Have a look and see if it looks interesting to you.
viewtopic.php?f=230&t=2012
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Decan
Seer

Post by Decan »

You have your answer DejaVoo! The Blaue Eule/Blue Owl Lenormand seems at least as much appreciated as the Dondorf Lenormand according to what I heard. The Brepols Lenormand/Carta Mundi is well-known too like Leroidetrèfle said, there is as well another one, the Piatnik Lenormand; I cite it because you can find it on the mass market. The ASS Lenormand Wahrsagekarten can be found too on the mass market, therefore it isn't expensive (and nice, not that old).

Well, personally I appreciate the Wüst Lenormand (an old one), but I won't say it is the "official".
Old decks are probably closest to the idea of being "official", but even there you have the choice!
DejaVoo
Seeker

Post by DejaVoo »

Joan Marie wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 23:20
DejaVoo wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 22:55 Excellent topic question...I've also wanted to know this!

You might want to join our Lenormand reading circle.
Have a look and see if it looks interesting to you.
viewtopic.php?f=230&t=2012
Thank you!
DejaVoo
Seeker

Post by DejaVoo »

Decan wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 07:13 You have your answer DejaVoo! The Blaue Eule/Blue Owl Lenormand seems at least as much appreciated as the Dondorf Lenormand according to what I heard. The Brepols Lenormand/Carta Mundi is well-known too like Leroidetrèfle said, there is as well another one, the Piatnik Lenormand; I cite it because you can find it on the mass market. The ASS Lenormand Wahrsagekarten can be found too on the mass market, therefore it isn't expensive (and nice, not that old).

Well, personally I appreciate the Wüst Lenormand (an old one), but I won't say it is the "official".
Old decks are probably closest to the idea of being "official", but even there you have the choice!
Thank you for this. I really love the Dondorf and will definitely add it to my list!
Nona
Seeker

Post by Nona »

Decan wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 07:13 You have your answer DejaVoo! The Blaue Eule/Blue Owl Lenormand seems at least as much appreciated as the Dondorf Lenormand according to what I heard. The Brepols Lenormand/Carta Mundi is well-known too like Leroidetrèfle said, there is as well another one, the Piatnik Lenormand; I cite it because you can find it on the mass market. The ASS Lenormand Wahrsagekarten can be found too on the mass market, therefore it isn't expensive (and nice, not that old).

Not just "old" decks, but The One™ that has stood the test of time. The Blue Owl seems to be it.
DarkWing
Seer

Post by DarkWing »

Blue Owl hands down.

Blue Bird if you want little sayings.

couple points - Insets. The playing card inset.

For me this is a huge consideration.

I like the whole card as the inset. Not just a suit and a pip or letter. I want to know at a glance where and which suits conglomerate in the spread. I want to see this before I even start looking at symbols.

Unfortunately, few decks include the full image inset. And there are some decks I really want to love, but they lack the full image inset.

Secondly, size matters.

At first we’re tempted by full-sized pretty decks. Until we attempt to do a Grande Tableau.

The ‘Ur-Lenormand’ cards require a space of 900 square inches to lay out a Grande Tableau.

‘Poker sized’ Lenormand decks require a minimum table space of 480 square inches.

Most Lenormand decks measure between 2.25 x 3.5 inches, and 2.75 x 3.5 inches. This reduces our table size requirement, so we don’t have to add leaves to our table, to about 418 square inches. Most apartment-sized kitchen tables will hold a GT.
HermitSpiritus
Seeker

Post by HermitSpiritus »

For myself, I consider the "French Cartomancy" deck to be a classic. I have been choosing between Blue Owl, Red Owl, Blue Bird and others for a long time. She is very stylish, vintage, with clear looks and no unnecessary curls. And this is exactly the deck that Rana George uses in her book "The Essential Lenormand".
Here I wrote about it and about my other Lenormand decks: https://hermitspiritus.com/lenormand
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

The "French Cartomancy" is a Dondorff pattern, just fyi.
I believe in Crystal Light.
HermitSpiritus
Seeker

Post by HermitSpiritus »

Charlie Brown wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 16:03 The "French Cartomancy" is a Dondorff pattern, just fyi.
Thanks! On your hint, I found a lot of interesting information about older versions of Dondorf decks.
For example this: http://www.dxpo-playingcards.com/xpo/va ... -ft-00.htm

Return to “All things Lenormand”