This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Question about the size of a Lenormand deck

Lenormand decks are coming into more popular use as their secrets are now being revealed and deck creators more frequently explore their unique aesthetic. Come here to discuss these ascending beauties.
Zeri
Subscriber
Seeker

Question about the size of a Lenormand deck

Post by Zeri »

My very first Lenormand deck just arrived in the post and it is so tiny. I didn't expect that.
New Lenormand compared to standard size Tarot card.
New Lenormand compared to standard size Tarot card.

It's not a problem, its very cute but I was wondering if there is a recognized standard size for Lenormand like there is for Tarot.
Nemia
Sage

Re: Question about the size of a Lenormand deck

Post by Nemia »

Lenormand decks are always smaller because you will want to lay them all out at once sooner or later, in a Grand Tableau :-) Besides, you need only the most basic information, there is no need for a wealth of details, symbols, narrative hints etc. A dog is a dog is a dog. Nothing else.

There are some bigger Lenormands but the typical deck is quite diminutive. And your new Blue Owl is as typical as it can get. Great deck btw, it was my first, too, and I still prefer it to all the others.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 15:32 Lenormand decks are always smaller because you will want to lay them all out at once sooner or later, in a Grand Tableau :-)
That makes a lot of sense! ;) I had wondered how big of a table I would need for a Grand Tableau.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I was really surprised when I got the Gravenchase. I thought Ly had sent me the wrong size. It is bridge size and quite small next to the Lorthrop but I realise now the Gravenchase is a normal size Lenormand, it's the Lorthrop that is really large! Ciro's Gilded Reverie is large too for a Lenormand I think?
Tag Jorrit
Seer

Post by Tag Jorrit »

There are lots of people who like the minis a lot, too. They travel well and don't require a dining room table for a Grand Tableau.
Cards are cards, just pieces of cardboard. What is important is the intent we give them.
Serge Pirotte
Want some antique repro cards? Visit https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

The Astounding Lenormand comes in a tin and is bridge-sized, and I learned that it's just par for the course for Lenormand decks.

I also have the Golden Lenormand Oracle and it's BIG.
Start strong
End stronger
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

Yes, bridge sized is standard. I love bridge sized. And minis are the best. I always keep a mini in a little drawstring bag in my wallet, behind my ID, bank card, etc. It barely takes up any space at all. I forget all about it until I need it.

I can understand big cards for people with certain vision problems. And for "showpiece" Tarot decks with tons of detail. (I love my oversized Tarot of Prague. But I seldom purchase Tarots bigger than the standard size. I just thought this particular edition of the Prague was gorgeous. It lives in its own wooden box and stays home, it's not the kind of deck I'd throw in my bag and go running around with.)

A Lenormand isn't improved by that level of detail - rather, it should be almost stark. So smaller is better with Lenormand. It's practical, like a pocketknife or a comb. Something I use and like to keep handy, not something showy to be admired.

Here's a card each from the Prague, the Vamp (pretty standard Tarot sized), a bridge sized Wust Lenormand, and a Game of Hope mini. That mini is actually a bit wider than my other minis, since the standard one is poker sized, but you get the idea:

"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs

Return to “All things Lenormand”