This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

05 May TdM Reading Circle Signups

Participants in the May Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle: Use this space for your readings and interactions. Have Fun!
Forum rules
Participants in the May Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle: Use this space for your readings and interactions. Have Fun!
BreathingSince72
Sage

05 May TdM Reading Circle Signups

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Greetings Friends,

For this month, I thought we could jump into a vintage title and use a vintage spread created for the 1JJ Swiss by Stuart R. Kaplan. The spread came from the book “Tarot Cards For Fun And Fortunetelling” written in 1970. It is called the 7 Card Spread and I have uploaded a instructions from the actual book in photo format. (After checking for a no-reproduction in any form message).

Obviously we could not have the Querent do any of the shuffling and I think we all know the intent of that is to have the Querent shuffle their energy into the deck. As we are doing all of this long distance, perhaps we could instead have the Querent provide a key word, in addition to their question, that sums up the issue in a personal way for the Querent. It may be an unnecessary step but it may be fun.

Here’s the spread. Who would like to join me?
C73EEFE3-B729-475B-A2D8-B6DA869C3308.jpeg
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
stronglove
Sage

Re: 05 May TdM Reading Circle Signups

Post by stronglove »

i’d like to join in but i am a bit confused, because i really like this spread but i cannot fathom how this would provide a yes or a no, can anybody enlighten me? is the yes/no to be extracted from the last card? (ultimate result)
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

stronglove wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 07:26 i’d like to join in but i am a bit confused, because i really like this spread but i cannot fathom how this would provide a yes or a no, can anybody enlighten me? is the yes/no to be extracted from the last card? (ultimate result)
I would also like to join in but it appears that the yes/no is dependent on how many cards are inverted? (see the first sentence of the instructions)

I have to admit I'm a little confused as well.

Would also appreciate knowing the dates for sign-ups etc. ;)
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Yes, Kaplan is using the number of Upright vs. Inverted cards (and nothing else) to get his yes/no answer. You would read the cards normally in order to answer a regular question.

I've always been a little curious to try some of these early Kaplan spreads. They're so ungainly, slightly confusing, and weirdly overwrought. Most of the spreads seem kind of terrible but, at the same time, I think this is an inspired choice for the group this month.

I'll also point out how wrong it is to us upright/reversed as a yes/no method with a Tdm style deck. Most of the pips look the same upright or inverted! In this particular 1JJ deck, however, there is a small roman numeral printed on the bottom of each card, which is how you would tell.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I think the spread looks fun, so I'm in. I'm going to ignore the yes/no thing though. Is that what you meant Victoria?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

Yep, i’m in too, as long as i can skip the yes/no and reversal thing
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

But what if I ask you a yes/no question?

ETA: I decided to ask

Ace of Cups - 8 of Swords - Death. Briefly put, you'll just change the question to some alternative you devise.

20190428_130029~01.jpg
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I would like to join in this month too, but I also reserve the right to tinker with the spread. It is SO close to my everyday go-to spread that I know I won't be able resist sticking with what I know.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

You must resist.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Oh my goodness, I am loving the chat this has generated!

First answer: No, you do not have to do a yes no question.

Next answer: Charlie Brown, if you want to ask a yes no question you go right ahead my friend! I agree that many of the early Kaplan spreads were bulky and ungainly. This was actually the smallest spread in one of his books.

I will assign partners by the tenth. If any of you want to work with a specific partner or have been reading with and for the same person for a bit, please pm me and let me know. I will see what I can do!

Until then, cheers!
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Charlie Brown wrote: 03 May 2019, 23:37 You must resist.
In the words of the Borg, resistance is futile!
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

The question I should ask this month is whether I should resist or not. But which spread could I possibly use for that? The one that I am supposed to use or the one that I habitually use. I've already gotten myself into an impossible bind. This reading group is a "vicious circle"!
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

You shouldn't be reading that question for yourself.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Is that an offer to do a reading for me to decide whether I should resist the temptation to tinker with the set spread or not?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

dodalisque wrote: 09 May 2019, 01:26 Is that an offer to do a reading for me to decide whether I should resist the temptation to tinker with the set spread or not?
I imagine it could be. Would you like that?
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I would love that. I always like to see you in action. But only if it appeals to you and you have the time. This is just a little "side action" while we're waiting for the main reading to start. The idea of my "tinkering" with the spread seems to call for your Tinker's Damn Tarot, even though we are in TdM territory here. I know you're always looking for a reason to break out that deck and I'd like to see more of it too. I wish there was a spread you could use that lets us see lots of cards, but it only seems to be a yes/no question, so I don't know how that would work out. But it's reader's choice.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I imagine I can squeeze it in. My daughter's birthday is this weekend, so I'm a little booked.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Greetings friends, I will post assignments in the morning.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Charlie Brown wrote: 11 May 2019, 04:55 I imagine I can squeeze it in. My daughter's birthday is this weekend, so I'm a little booked.
A big happy birthday to your sweet little girl! Taurus are awesome (says the woman who turned 47 13 days ago). I hear they get their dads wrapped around their finger quite quickly! Is she a year now?

Okay, off to our reading assignments. I have created pairs and will sit this one out.

Joan Marie and Dodalisque will read for one another.

Charlie Brown and Stronglove will read for one another.

Let’s aim to have our readings submitted by the 23rd and feedback given prior to the 29th.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 11 May 2019, 15:32 Is she a year now?
Coin 02.jpg
BreathingSince72
Sage

Aww that’s an amazing age and, also, a very borderline age. They want you but they want to do it themselves. It’s bittersweet to watch. Their identities start getting carved out and large bits of their personality shine through. Kids are such fun...and work...
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

dodalisque wrote: 11 May 2019, 04:13 I would love that. I always like to see you in action. But only if it appeals to you and you have the time. This is just a little "side action" while we're waiting for the main reading to start. The idea of my "tinkering" with the spread seems to call for your Tinker's Damn Tarot, even though we are in TdM territory here. I know you're always looking for a reason to break out that deck and I'd like to see more of it too. I wish there was a spread you could use that lets us see lots of cards, but it only seems to be a yes/no question, so I don't know how that would work out. But it's reader's choice.
Well, it's a spread from the 1JJ companion book and I have a 1JJ that's sensitive about being ignored. It wouldn't be cricket not to utilize it.

Which version of the spread is recommended for Dodalisque? (1JJ Swiss, Majors)

Top center: Quintessence
Left: Dodalisque's deviant spread
Right: The official spread
Center: Situation (a la Celtic Cross)
20190511_230605.jpg

Going off in a new direction (Fool) feels risky (Fortune). You'd prefer to feel in control (Emperor) but if you commit yourself to this new endeavor (Lovers) it's going to be okay (Sun).
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Thanks so much. Succinct and elegant as ever. I don't have a copy of the IJJ - I'm going to have to remedy that. But damn, the die is cast, and now I have to surrender my comfortable Emperorship of the familiar and head out into the wild blue yonder of Kaplan's possibly yes, possibly no, yes/no spread.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

dodalisque wrote: 12 May 2019, 20:54 I don't have a copy of the IJJ - I'm going to have to remedy that.
As you know, I'm not a deck collector/tons of decks type person. It's a blast that, all of a sudden, my 1JJ is at the center of all this novelty deck excitement.

It's a pretty nice deck actually. I have a pre-copyright RWS and it's the same size and card stock as that deck, which isn't surprising since they're both early-70s US Games. They make a really nice pair. Where it falls short, imo, of a standard TdM is if/when you want to do much with regarding. The cards just don't play together in the same way. There isn't that kind of electricity that generates when two of the characters lock eyes. OTOH, the backgrounds of the majors have a kind of scenic consistency to them that, in a line, often helps to blend/connect the cards.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I have the same problem with the Soprafino. Gorgeous to look at but the figures don't interact as intensely as in a crude, semi-abstract French TdMs.

Return to “05 May Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle”