This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Dodalisque reads for Charlie brown

Participants in the March Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle: Use this space for your readings and interactions. Have Fun!
Forum rules
Participants in the March Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle: Use this space for your readings and interactions. Have Fun!
dodalisque
Sage

Dodalisque reads for Charlie brown

Post by dodalisque »

Your question was:
What is the best way for me to direct my artistic creativity over the next few months?

I use the word artistic in a very broad sense, not just in relation to visual art.

The brief this month was to use a specially designed 3 card spread called the House of the Guiding Star. This immediately made me think of the House of the Rising Sun, the rock classic worldwide hit for a group called The Animals - which almost becomes relevant. The House of the Guiding Star was inspired by the three little cards shown below using the Flornoy Noblet. The reading itself uses the Flornoy Dodal.

IMG_1163.JPG

The first thing I notice is how the word "Lenormand" is insinuating its way into the tarot World. The three card sentence in forward narrative mode seems to say: tension dissolves completely.

If you try to start from the start, like the Fool, and work your way up methodically brick by brick, it will fail miserably. You can get locked into a bind like the woman and the lion if you start at the beginning. The way forward is to start from the end and/or at a remove, looking downward, like the guiding star, or askance, like the figure in the centre of the World card, and just letting things fall.

The word "maison" in the central card, and the recurrence of the word "house", suggests there may be a domestic component to your creativity. That may refer to the subject matter of your art, or the three cards may be illustrating that in order to preserve the necessary time and energy to create (World), you need to struggle to maintain peace and quiet (Strength) and deal with minor domestic crises (Tower). Even the Chariot looks like a tiny house. The lion's breast, the bolt of lightning, and the wreath of victory are all made of the same light-blue material. F.P.Le Trange, printed sideways on the Strength and World cards is a Customs stamp from 1701. The abbreviation is short for, "Faites Pour L'etrangers", "For Export Only". Profits from the sale of exported decks at this time were exempt from tax.

Customs are accepted ways of doing things, so perhaps the two figures on the Strength and World cards are both attempting to look past the customary and clear the ground for something new and strange.

If we take the figure on the World card to be your nascent creative work, perhaps we should look at it from a few different angles to discover the best way for you to direct your artistic creativity. The bull, lion, eagle, human correspond to the four fixed astrological signs: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius, which are associated respectively with the astrological houses 2, 5, 8, 11. Shuffling and laying a card in each of these houses produces:

IMG_1165.JPG

Hermit in 2nd house: bringing your product to market is a lonely business.
Empress in 5th house: for someone with your level of energy it is not enjoyable to sit still for long periods. Regular physical exercise will benefit your work.
Devil in 8th house: this is perhaps an unfortunate card to appear in the 8th house. Distractions are a constant temptation. Eagle wings can turn into bat wings.
Judgement in 11th house: this house is usually associated with friendship. Like the angel with the trumpet you should not be shy about trying out your work on friends. Either that or you should go through your desk drawers and resuscitate some long-dead projects to examine their potential for new life.

IMG_1169.JPG

When we lay out the 4 house cards in a narrative line to get a final piece of advice we are told: experience is the mother of bad judgement. This is a new spread and the advice it gives is to "make it new".
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Dodalisque reads for Charlie brown

Post by Charlie Brown »

Thanks! There's some good stuff in here. I'll have to come back later with more detailed feedback.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, between when I asked the question and now, I have been staying pretty busy with some things, so I actually have some experiences to put into the feedback, which is a nice change of pace for a speculative direction question like this one.

It seems to me that the reading(s) were leading up to that final four card line. It likely seemed that way to you too, or you wouldn't have kept going forward with new variations. It's very on point to what I've been doing over the past few weeks. Primarily, I've been trying to learn how to draw, which is something that I've absolutely never been able to do. It's been going quite well and I'm honestly surprised with how far I've come. Last night, I even made my first drawing that was completely divorced from my lesson assignments. I just was able to look and do. So that was good. Similarly, I've been doing a little bit of music, which is where my expertise lies, but I'm doing it with some purposefully limited resources that I'm neither experienced nor skilled in.

Beyond the final exhortation to avoid my areas of expertise, The four cards from your World Wheel spread were also interesting. Hermit/Empress/Devil as "it's lonely/isolating making the magic happen, it can lead to sitting around, doing nothing but watching Game of Thrones and typing on tarot forums with your devilish, idle hands." seems like a much better drawing that what I'm capable of after a few short lessons. The judgement card is interesting. It was only day before yesterday that I told anyone I was trying to draw. Before that, it was a secret. To be honest, I only told because I wasn't having enough time to practice when I was having to keep it a secret.

Looking back at the 3-card spread, the idea of dissolving tension does seem to be inherently connected for me with working in areas outside of my expertise. In the areas I've excelled at in the past I put an inordinate amount of pressure on myself for various reasons. It's past the point where I hardly produce any more, in at least a small part because of said pressure and then, being out of practice, I'm even less capable of equalling the past without a long period of ramping-back up. I'm never going to be particularly good at drawing. This is clearly a given. Therefore, there's no pressure to produce and I can just enjoy the process of it all.
I believe in Crystal Light.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

I hear ya'. "Peace begins when expectation ends" - Sri Chinmoy. I've been thinking of doing exactly what you're doing for years. Maybe the Tower is an over-sharpened pencil, or a brush flowing paint, aiming at a Van Gogh sunflower. I find even these little readings on CoT, which only a handful of people will ever see, to be a bit of an ordeal sometimes. It's like handing in an essay and wanting an A. But tarot is a great refuge for writers. You can SEE the plots. The secret is out about your drawing - that blabbermouth angel on Judgement - but you should keep the actual drawings private and sacrosanct like a personal diary. As soon as you show your work you will be tempted to excel. How wonderful that the reading coincided with this new beginning.

Return to “03 March Tarot de Marseille Reading Circle”