This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Cards from the Pattern Garden // medieval Mamluk playing cards

Do you have a Tarot related project on Kickstarter or Indiegogo or elsewhere? What about something available for pre-order? Have you seen one you want to tell us about? Backing a project is like investing in a future present for yourself. Have a look!
shimmering
Seer

Cards from the Pattern Garden // medieval Mamluk playing cards

Post by shimmering »

Just what you didn't know you were waiting for ....

A set of playing cards in the Mamluk style, believed to be the forerunner of all European playing cards (and also tarot cards). The suits are very closely related to the tarot suits (and Italian playing card suits). The court cards are unusual in that they are not illustrated, but identified with texts on blue labels. Everything is highly decorated with elaborate floral patterns.

These cards are my interpretation of a Mamluk design with the original Mamluk suits. I have drawn the linework in pen and ink using compasses and a ruler, coloured in watercolour. On Kickstarter now:

Attachments
project.jpg
archimedes
Sage

Re: Cards from the Pattern Garden // medieval Mamluk playing cards

Post by archimedes »

Gosh these are absolutely stunning. Beautiful work!
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
shimmering
Seer

Post by shimmering »

archimedes wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 04:12 Gosh these are absolutely stunning. Beautiful work!
Thanks very much!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

shimmering wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 13:15
archimedes wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 04:12 Gosh these are absolutely stunning. Beautiful work!
Thanks very much!
I've added this to the list of Current crowdfunding campaigns on the homepage.

I love Ian's decks. They have a real charm.

commoners.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
shimmering
Seer

Post by shimmering »

Thanks a lot Joan Marie ... big mistake by me not to have submitted to the newsletter that arrived this afternoon. I just assumed it was going out at the start of the month and that I'd missed it. Oh well, never mind. :-)
shimmering
Seer

Post by shimmering »

I've just had my Mamluk style playing cards printed ... they're called Cards from the Pattern Garden. Available to order now from my website (https://northerndisplayers.co.uk/cpg.html) or also from me on etsy if you prefer that ...

The cards are printed at playing-card size. The suits are the Mamluk suits, obviously closely related to the traditional suits of tarot and Italian playing cards (swords, polo sticks, coins, and myriads). The biggest difference between these and typical European cards is the appearance of the court cards: the Mamluk cards don't have any representation of human figures, so the court cards are indicated by blue labels with calligraphic inscriptions, three court crads per suit: a king and two deputies. The artwork was drawn by hand and coloured with watercolour. More pics on the link above, or you can look on youtube to see more ...

Return to “Current Crowdfunding Campaigns & Pre-Orders”