This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Kate from eastern Canada waves hello...

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Kate Tarot
Seeker

Kate from eastern Canada waves hello...

Post by Kate Tarot »

Hi folks: I'm really grateful to find this forum. I'm looking forward to reading (and contributing) to the conversations here.

I started with tarot cards in my early 20s, although I really didn't have anyone to talk with. It was in the dark ages -- that is, before the Internet was invented. Life got in the way and I stopped playing with them. A few years ago, my adult daughter reminded me how much I loved tarot cards and I picked them up again.

Funny, I can remember most of the traditional meanings for the RWS cards but I'll be dipped if I can remember the reversals. Oh well, still having loads of fun with them. My tarot collection has grown massively. I think it's up to 70 decks, mostly RWS clones. It's so fantastic to have so much choice these days.

Looking forward to meeting some of you. cheers, Kate
Thelder
Sybil

Re: Kate from eastern Canada waves hello...

Post by Thelder »

Welcome to the forum Kate.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I also was into tarot in my early 20s, but life got in the way; then, a few years ago, I got the urge and went from zero decks to about sixty so far.

Glad to have you join us!
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Ciderwell from the midlands of England waves back ...
Kate Tarot
Seeker

Post by Kate Tarot »

Thelder wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 08:03 Your story sounds a lot like mine. I also was into tarot in my early 20s, but life got in the way; then, a few years ago, I got the urge and went from zero decks to about sixty so far.
Yup, it's definitely an issue with me. I don't seem to be able to say "No" when I find a new deck. It started off easily enough. I started collecting "art" decks -- Botticelli, Byzantium art, the Starman Tarot (based on works done for David Bowie's album covers) .... and then it just went straight to hell with the joke.

I'm not going near Oracle decks. That's just another form of temptation!!

Cheers.

K :D
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

That's why I try and stick to Marseille. It's much easier to reject the deck lust. I wish that I could spend more time in Eastern Canada. I'm real curious about New Brunswick and PEI.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Hi and welcome, Kate :D
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Kate Tarot
Seeker

Post by Kate Tarot »

Charlie Brown wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 04:03 That's why I try and stick to Marseille. It's much easier to reject the deck lust. I wish that I could spend more time in Eastern Canada. I'm real curious about New Brunswick and PEI.
I'm in Fredericton, capital of New Brunswick. If you have any questions, let me know.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Will do. Sadly, I think it's going to be quite some time before I'm able to make my way up there.

I guess I do have one question though. I remember reading a very interesting newspaper article a few years ago about Francophone communities in Ontario. I'm wondering what how prevalent French is in NB, PEI, NS, etc.

I did get to go to Montreal once. I didn't get to do much touristy stuff but I did have a great time.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Kate Tarot
Seeker

Post by Kate Tarot »

Charlie Brown wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 00:51 Will do. Sadly, I think it's going to be quite some time before I'm able to make my way up there.

I guess I do have one question though. I remember reading a very interesting newspaper article a few years ago about Francophone communities in Ontario. I'm wondering what how prevalent French is in NB, PEI, NS, etc.
NB is the only officially bilingual province in the country. If you run a line across the province diagonally, from north west to south east, the area above that line is largely French speaking. The area south west is predominantly English speaking. The communities along the line speak both, fluently and frequently in the same sentence -- also known as "franglais" -- delivered with machine-gun rapidity.

NS has a couple of high French speaking areas -- North West from Yarmouth, Digby and the southern shore of the Bay of Fundy to Grand-Pre. Also there's one very active French community in Cape Breton - Cheticamp.

And PEI has a very small but vibrant French presence. It's mostly in the Rustico, Charlottetown and Evangeline regions.

And with all of these areas, the people are predominantly of Acadian descent. In fact, the Acadian expulsion of 1755 took place from Grand Pre, NS when the local French inhabitants were expelled from the British territory and sent to Louisiana.

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”