This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Shwmae! Hi!

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
lilbertine
Seeker

Shwmae! Hi!

Post by lilbertine »

Hi everyone, I'm new around here so this is a short story of my Tarot journey as way of introduction :-)

I was first introduced to Tarot aged 13 when my new-aunt did a reading for me. It was love at first sight, and immediately I wanted to get my own deck but unfortunately she passed on the superstition that you can't buy your first deck, that "it must be gifted to you". I kept my fingers crossed that she would do so, but she soon divorced my uncle and I kept waiting... as time went on I found myself making friends with folk who just "happened" to own Tarot decks, so I would read with their decks when the opportunity arose, but I still didn't have my own...

So I started reading with oracles that felt relevant to what I was interested in - mostly using flower essence cards, sacred geometry decks, things that were vibrational in nature due to the healing aspects of my work. In my mid-twenties I was undertaking some devotional training and it was recommended we get the Motherpeace Tarot deck as a support for this process. It was honestly a relief to give myself permission to break the taboo and finally start reading. I never really vibed with that deck and I've since passed it on; something about it just felt kinda off (though I appreciated the ideas behind it) and I just couldn't shake the feeling that there was *something more* to Tarot. I've been supported by essences and herbal remedies since I was a child (holistic-minded but "not spiritual" parents) so when I came across The Tarot Apothecary it was a lightbulb moment for me. I got myself the borderless edition of the Smith-Waite so I could "learn tarot properly" and have been totally in love with Tarot ever since.

I've now been reading for seven years and I can't imagine my life without it. Aside from Alexis' course, I've read most of Rachel Pollack and Mary K. Greer's writings and I really appreciate Lindsay Mack's approach to Tarot ~ I've just signed up to her Rewilding the Tarot course so I'm looking forward to diving in to that. I'm also a big fan of Benebell Wen's work and loved the Little Red Tarot blog until it was shut down *sniff* - I love discovering decks that feel more representative of life in now-time. I now have a growing collection of decks, currently numbering around 20 which is perhaps a little excessive (though I get a sense that those around here won't judge ;) ); I feel like I have a really strong support system that I can turn to each day for insight and guidance.

After the year we've all had, even for someone as introverted as me, I'm really craving connection around the things that matter. Tarot is one of those things, so that's why I'm here. I could honestly talk about Tarot for hours and hours, but this is an intro post so I think I'll leave it there ;-)

Diolch am ddarllen / Thanks for reading,
Lily :-)

PS I speak Welsh, for those who are wondering what that strange language is..!
HOLMES
Sybil

Re: Shwmae! Hi!

Post by HOLMES »

You got the herbal tarot?
Welcome to you!
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Croeso! (not a speaker, just one I happen to know 🙂) And greetings from another introvert who is nevertheless desperate to share her love of Tarot. Great intro, and yeah, I miss LRT's blog, too.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Greetings and welcome, lilbertine! :D
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
lilbertine
Seeker

Post by lilbertine »

HOLMES wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:17 You got the herbal tarot?
Welcome to you!
Hey Holmes, thanks for the welcome :-)

I don't have the herbal tarot - I've seen it but the associations seemed all wrong to me, but that might just be because I'm a super fussy witch :P I predominently work with local weeds and plants so rarely feel drawn to stuff that doesn't grow in Britain. I appreciate that a lot of folks like that deck though, and I'm glad it exists for them. Maybe I'll eventually get around to crafting me own one of these days...

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”