This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

A place for members to share their Personal Tarot story.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: NEW MEMBERS - Tell us your Tarot Story

Post by Charlie Brown »

So nice to see you. I look forward to interacting with you on the forums. Did you see that we have three reading circles active for October. If you'd like to sign up you would be more than welcome!
I believe in Crystal Light.
Foxy Gekkerson
Seeker

Post by Foxy Gekkerson »

Hi everyone, Foxy Gekkerson at your service! I'm a furry artist who's working to resurrect my flagship project, The Vulpine Tarot. The deck used to have a thread over at Aeclectic Tarot before that forum shut down, but I'm ecstatic to see another tarot-related forum here.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Foxy Gekkerson wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:17 The deck used to have a thread over at Aeclectic Tarot before that forum shut down, but I'm ecstatic to see another tarot-related forum here.
We're so glad you've joined us!

What an interesting deck you've made. 🦊

I would love to add it to our Library of Decks.

if you're interested, see this link for info.

Welcome to the forum.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Kdarling wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 01:28 Hi. I found out about this forum from Benebell too. I’m so happy to be here and be a part!
Welcome! It's so nice to have you here. Thanks for joining us!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Foxy Gekkerson wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 07:17 Hi everyone, Foxy Gekkerson at your service! I'm a furry artist who's working to resurrect my flagship project, The Vulpine Tarot. The deck used to have a thread over at Aeclectic Tarot before that forum shut down, but I'm ecstatic to see another tarot-related forum here.
Welcome Foxy Gekkerson. (Do they sometimes call you Foxy for short ?) I scratched my head a bit there because I was wondering what a furry artist is. I thought at first you were maybe half werewolf or something. 8-) But then I googled it and I think I understand now.

Thanks for joining us. This a very fine forum and it's nice to have a new fine addition to it - and even if you had turned out to be a werewolf, I reckon we'd have welcomed you equally (with the tarot Strength on our side, what do we have to fear?)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Symph
Seer

Post by Symph »

Hi guys!
So I have always been fascinated by magic and the occult, but being a sincere christian most of my life I never allowed those feelings to go past a quick glance or a thought before I would hammer down my curiosity with the fear of it being evil or devillish. However much has happened in my life in the last few years that has shown me that this world is completely backwards, and much of what I thought was real was actually just conditioning... so without going too controversial too fast, let's just say, I'm finally free to think my own thoughts and follow my own path, and that lead me to Tarot.

I realized that I'd always loved the idea of it, felt drawn to it, and so I answered the call and ordered my first deck Mystical Mondays. My very first reading was personal, enlightening, and helpful, I soon began to see that Tarot is a way of life that can help one understand their inner tendencies and how best to traverse life in a way that lends itself to growth and personal development. I have purchased 4 more decks since then, the Osho Zen Tarot, Druidcraft, Prisma Visions, and a holographic Ryder Waite from China haha (I really love it though)

I have not even given any readings to anyone but my wife and I and am just starting out in this journey but I'm eager, excited to learn, and highly committed to becoming a very affluent reader and hope to be able to turn this into a professional practice. Thanks for reading!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Symph wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 18:09 I have not even given any readings to anyone but my wife and I and am just starting out in this journey but I'm eager, excited to learn, and highly committed to becoming a very affluent reader and hope to be able to turn this into a professional practice. Thanks for reading!
So glad you've found us. So glad you've joined us.
Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here!
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Symph wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 18:09 I have purchased 4 more decks since then, the Osho Zen Tarot . . .
Welcome to the forum, Symph! I'm currently studying this deck and I know you'd have a fruitful partnership with it too.
Start strong
End stronger
Carlos Escobel
Seeker

Post by Carlos Escobel »

Hello everyone,

I originally got into tarot because of Alejandro Jodorowsky. I just recently got into joining the online tarot community; this is my first message board.

I recently concluded a successful Kickstarter campaign to pay for the print edition publishing of my tarot e-book and am working hard on the rewards, etc. My book is entitled Tarot: Temple of Paper, House of Cards. It has taken an overwhelming amount of my energy for the last few years LOL.
Author of Tarot: Temple of Paper, House of Cards
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Welcome Carlos. Thanks for joining us and congratulations on your successful Kickstarter!

I hope you enjoy yourself here.
lotuspalacefloods
Seeker

Post by lotuspalacefloods »

• How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?
I started reading tarot when I was seventeen. I don't know what exactly motivated me to get my first deck, other than the fact that I've always been interested in somewhat occult studies. I love the idea of using cards for self-reflection.
  • What was your first deck and where did you get it?
My first deck was a standard RWS deck (the one with the blue picnic-y cardbacks). I now have over 30 tarot and oracle decks and have become a bit of a collector!
  • Do you have a favourite deck? Why?
My favorite deck is the Shadowscapes tarot. It was one of my first few and has the most gorgeous and complex images on each card. Some of my other favorite decks are the Borderless Centennial RWS deck, the Weird Cat tarot, and The Lovely Omens tarot.
  • Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?
I love just about everything about tarot. I've never been part of a reading group but that sounds really interesting. I am definitely a deck collector.
Amberjune
Seeker

Post by Amberjune »

Hello all,

below are my answers. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Reading all of our journeys is wonderful!

How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?
My mother received a Thoth deck from a friend, which I then claimed for myself.
I would say that astrology has always been my first language, it has helped me tremendously in my childhood, helped to make sense of the world and myself. The Thoth was thus a perfect deck for me and has become a steady companion. Soon I devoured all and any occult and esoteric books I could find.
I love oracles, too, especially ones with a rich and evocative art . Lenormand is not something I feel drawn to as it is too focused on the "outer world". I am primarily interested in the inner landscapes ;-) (I am a watery creature)

What was your first deck and where did you get it?
As mentioned above, the Thoth was my first deck. Years later I purchased the Margarete Petersen and the Tarot des femmes erotique. These were my only decks for many years. At some point I also had the Tarot of the Old Path.
Though usually not overly interested in material possessions, I'm very fond of oracles and tarot and I have close to 300. They bring me joy, I love looking at them, playing with them, and spending time with them. I love backing kickstarters and think it is a magnificent way to hold space for an artist to bring their project to life.

Do you have a favourite deck? Why?
My favorite deck these past few years has been the the Mary-El. I really respond to the symbolism in the cards, I love how rich they are, the many references they make to sacred texts and stories and feel that I can dive right in. They feel non-binary to me in the sense that no card is reduced to one simplified black/white meaning, but is a world unto itself. That resonates with me.
A close second is the Tabula Mundi (the colored version) because it is so beautifully aligned with the Kabbalah and Astrology. Wish there where more decks like this.

Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?

I use the tarot and oracle mainly for daily draws and reflection/meditation/journaling. I switch decks once a week at the lunar points (Full, New, and Quarter moons) in an attempt to spend time with all my decks. I do collect decks, mainly indie decks these days.
prudencesee
Seeker

Post by prudencesee »

Hello! I'm Adiva. I'm 23 years old beginner, and my first deck is Golden Thread deck from Labyrinthos. I'm actually a little bit ashamed since I haven't buy any deck yet ㅡ and I'm using their app ㅡ but I'm willing to learn while I'm waiting for my first job to get some cash, since decks are quite expensive. I printed RWS arcana decks a while back, and I'm using it for daily reading.
Starlight
Seer

Post by Starlight »

Joan Marie wrote: 14 May 2018, 11:12 If you are just joining the forum, welcome! It's lovely to have you here.

If you would like to, take a moment and tell us your Tarot story. Maybe you'd like to answer one or more of these questions:
  • How did you get started in Tarot? Oracles? Lenormand?
I was on a Working Holiday in Australia, found myself in an esoteric-type shop, saw a deck of Tarot cards and bought them. :)
Joan Marie wrote:
  • What was your first deck and where did you get it?
My first deck was the original version of the Mythic Tarot. I got it in the esoteric shop.

Joan Marie wrote:
  • Do you have a favourite deck? Why?
The Mythic Tarot is probably my favourite deck. Knowing the Greek myths lends nuances to the card meanings when they come up in a reading.
Joan Marie wrote:
  • Do you have a favourite topic or area of interest in Tarot, for example, symbolism, history, reading groups, collecting, etc..?
No, I don't have a particular favourite topic. I'm looking to branch out from the Waite-Colman system to the Tarot de Marseille, so something might develop there. :)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Starlight wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 07:34 I'm looking to branch out from the Waite-Colman system to the Tarot de Marseille, so something might develop there. :)
Hi Starlight! Welcome and thank you sharing your story.

We have a pretty healthy and growing TdM community here, so jump in when you are ready. 🌸
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

Hello!
I first got started through a magazine freebie as a young un. It was actually really well designed but since has vanished without trace. I was actually kind of scared of Tarot until I was a teenager until I realized it was a lot of fun and not scary at all.

I think what got me to pick it up again was a mix of online groups and a book by Italo Calvino which was a story told solely through tarot cards. The first deck I actually bought was the Rider-Waite. My favourite decks right now are the Thoth, Arthurian and two Froud Oracles. I also loved the Sirian Starseed Tarot but haven't used it much yet.
Belenus
Seer

Post by Belenus »

Greetings from the beautiful Pacific Northwest! I have posted my "Tarot Story" in my profile. But here is a "cut-and-paste" for this thread:

For more years than most of you have been alive ;-) I read and used the only deck available in my part of the world, what was commonly called the "Rider-Waite." (RWS) I was thoroughly enthralled by tarot, but completely disenchanted with the RWS. I hated the art. I found the minors far too limiting and idiosyncratic. The theology behind the cards was very much not "my cup of tea." Yet I used it. Begrudgingly. Why? Because for many years of my life it was the only deck available in my part of the world. Yet, despite it all, I was a proficient, most would say, a skilled reader. (Please note that I do not judge anyone else's deck choices. As they say in the language of my homeland, "chacun à son goût" or loosely translated, "to each his own." This is simply my experience.)

Years later all the clones of the RWS started appearing. I bought far too many to count, trying to find a deck that would make my heart soar, my spirit sing, and my imagination dance. Nothing. Same old RWS images but dressed up in different costumes, or as animals, elves, circus performers, cats, gummi-bears, you name it someone made a deck out of it. But ultimately they were all on the same pattern - RWS.

Then a number of years ago, I viewed the documentary "Tarology" about the amazing tarot reader Enrique Enriquez. The documentary blew me away. It shattered every preconception I had of tarot. It called into question, and affirmed my negative experiences with the RWS deck and its clones. Enrique advocated one deck, and one deck alone - the Tarot de Marseille. (TdM). After watching the video a few more times, finding myself more and more intrigued, and dare I hope - inspired - I purchased my first TdM. The first time I opened and used that deck, my entire tarot life changed, and shifted into a whole new realm of understanding, power, and insight. That deck unlocked my heart, mind, imagination - and as the scales fell from my eyes I was able to see tarot for the first time. I can truly date my professional life as a reader - B.TdM. and A.TdM.! I found the "One Deck to rule them all"! (apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien! LOL)

I have since had the great fortune of taking classes, one-on-one tutoring from Enrique, and some of the other great masters of the traditional tarot. My reading ability, coherence, application and power has reached levels beyond my wildest dreams. I have come home.

Needless to say, I am completely dedicated to traditional, and ancient, tarot decks. They are the only ones that cross my palms. I have been blessed enough to acquire over the years a number of limited edition reproductions, facsimiles, etc., of not only the TdM, but Minchiate, Soprafino, Besancon, etc. Each deck a unique wonder in its own right.
"vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit"
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Belenus wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 02:42 Needless to say, I am completely dedicated to traditional, and ancient, tarot decks. They are the only ones that cross my palms. I have been blessed enough to acquire over the years a number of limited edition reproductions, facsimiles, etc., of not only the TdM, but Minchiate, Soprafino, Besancon, etc. Each deck a unique wonder in its own right.
Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it. I think you will find some people here who share your enthusiasm for these traditional decks.
Welcome!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

jobarghest wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:16
I think what got me to pick it up again was a mix of online groups and a book by Italo Calvino which was a story told solely through tarot cards.
That book has been on my "to read" list for nearly twenty years now. I really should satisfy my curiosity one day.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Belenus wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 02:42

Then a number of years ago, I viewed the documentary "Tarology" about the amazing tarot reader Enrique Enriquez. The documentary blew me away. It shattered every preconception I had of tarot. It called into question, and affirmed my negative experiences with the RWS deck and its clones. Enrique advocated one deck, and one deck alone - the Tarot de Marseille. (TdM). After watching the video a few more times, finding myself more and more intrigued, and dare I hope - inspired - I purchased my first TdM. The first time I opened and used that deck, my entire tarot life changed, and shifted into a whole new realm of understanding, power, and insight. That deck unlocked my heart, mind, imagination - and as the scales fell from my eyes I was able to see tarot for the first time. I can truly date my professional life as a reader - B.TdM. and A.TdM.! I found the "One Deck to rule them all"! (apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien! LOL)

I hear you. Amen. The TdM is a treasure indeed. And I defend it fiercely - I even have some soap boxes to climb up on to so I can be heard better!

Enriquez is a remarkable man. One can read the cards perfectly with his method. And if one is just interested in reading the cards, I would recommend him to anyone. If one wants to explore though the symbolism, the mythology, the maths or whatever, one has to move out of his light into another one.

I call the TdM the "Ur Tarot". And consider it as you, the One Deck to rule them all.
Belenus
Seer

Post by Belenus »

Diana wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 12:05
jobarghest wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 13:16
I think what got me to pick it up again was a mix of online groups and a book by Italo Calvino which was a story told solely through tarot cards.
That book has been on my "to read" list for nearly twenty years now. I really should satisfy my curiosity one day.
Diana, as a faithful ally of the "Ur Tarot" - please give yourself the gift and wonderful pleasure of reading the Castle of Crossed Destinies! It is a TdM delight!

Faithfully,
Belenus
"vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit"
Starlight
Seer

Post by Starlight »

Belenus wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 21:34 Diana, as a faithful ally of the "Ur Tarot" - please give yourself the gift and wonderful pleasure of reading the Castle of Crossed Destinies! It is a TdM delight!
I've just looked it up - it sounds like it's along the lines of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales" but the stories are told through tarot. Sounds like a great read! :)
TarotBeader
Seeker

Post by TarotBeader »

Hello Tarot Tribe,

I am not actually new to this group - just not very active. Quite simply, I need to figure out how to navigate and understand this format better. It's different than anything I have seen before and feels daunting.

Anyway, I have been involved with the tarot since 1979 when I bought my first deck, the Morgan Greer. I ordered it, along with the accompanying book, and it took about four months to receive! Once I had it in my hot little hands I realized the depth and breadth of learning this system, and I just did not have the time. So it was put on hold until 1990, when I moved from Santa Barbara, California to San Francisco and had no job, no friends, just time. I have been totally immersed ever since!

I am a collector of decks and books, and I now have over 300 tarot, oracle and Lenormand decks which live in two gorgeous antique glass fronted bookcases, and get invaded often. I have a dedicated bookcase for my tarot books, and yes - I read them!

Beginning in 1991 I attended 22 San Francisco Bay Area Symposiums (BATS), four Northwest Tarot Symposiums (NWTS), two Readers Studios of New York (RS) and many individual classes and get-togethers. I love my tarot tribe, and have made wonderful friendships through the years in person and online.

I had a tarot business in the 2000s, and still do readings when asked, but much less often than I study, though, these days. I am hoping to be able to crack the mystery (?) of this website and join in more fully in the future.

And by the way, I was one of the first supporters of the Button Tarot on Kickstarter and have been promoting it to my tarot friends. How exciting!

Linda aka Lindy ♡
Follow your bliss...
TarotBeader
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

TarotBeader wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 19:23 And by the way, I was one of the first supporters of the Button Tarot on Kickstarter and have been promoting it to my tarot friends. How exciting!
Hi Lindy! Welcome and thanks for sharing your tarot story.

I used to live in Santa Barbara a really long time ago. When I close my eyes I can still smell the jasmine and the sea. What a beautiful place.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with anything on the forum. I think once you start poking around you'll get the hang of it. And you might find some tips: viewforum.php?f=34 but just send me a PM (private message) if you have any questions.

I always regret that I missed the BATS events. I just caught onto it too late. I hope someone revives them again. I'd love an excuse to go to San Francisco.

And thanks for supporting Button Soup! I think it's really going to be a beautiful deck. I'm really excited for it.
tarotman101
Seer

Post by tarotman101 »

Hi everyone,

I got into palmistry in junior school and that eventually evolved into an interest in tarot cards. I bought my first deck- The Wild Unknown-in 2008 or 2009. I just felt a strong pull to the dark imagery and I absolutely love the cards. Also, I use Neo Tarot as of late for work purposes. It's been a wild ride reading for people at parties, on the internet, in random meetings, etc. I hope I expand my skillset here, learn some things and also help others out as well.

Return to “New Members Welcome & Introduction”