This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

My Planetary Week # 26: Nov 17 - 23

All the Weeks of 2018 stored here
Nemia
Sage

My Planetary Week # 26: Nov 17 - 23

Post by Nemia »

This is an invitation to work with one card deck for one week in a group reading.

You can pick any deck: tarot, Lenormand, Kipper, oracle or playing cards. From this deck, you'll draw one card per day - i.e., seven Daily Cards from your Deck of the Week that allow you to get to know the deck better, to hone your reading skills and get new insights about your life.

In a Planetary Week reading, we don't only draw a card per day but also give it a topic. We focus on motifs, topics, patterns in our lives, inspired by the planetary ruler of every weekday (for background information, look here).

On Saturdays, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades,
on Sundays, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals,
on Mondays, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears,
on Tuesdays, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges,
on Wednesdays, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change,
on Thursdays, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences, and
on Fridays, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction.

The focus words I chose for each planet/day are not binding. Please don't limit yourself to the two short words if you feel other aspects of the planet are relevant to your reading.

There are different ways to perform a Planetary Week reading.

Traditional: draw a card per day and use the prism of the planetary influence to connect the card to your day and life.

Selective: select a card that suits the topic of each weekday and use it as affirmation and empowerment to improve your life.

Day-by-day: draw or pick your daily card one by one through the week.

Summarily: draw or pick all cards together before the week starts and treat them as a complete reading.

:!: And what about those who just want to have a Deck of the Week, Card of the Day reading? They can just jump in and leave the planetary lore away.

Share pictures if you can or want to.

No matter how we do it - by reminding ourselves of the planetary regents and their influence, we re-connect to the sevenfold cycle of time that our ancestors established, with their eyes to the sky.

Participants:
Chiscotheque - Golden Age of Hollywood Tarot
CharlotteK - Tarot of the Secret Forest
Nemia - Fountain Tarot
Nemia
Sage

Re: My Planetary Week # 26: Nov 17 - 23

Post by Nemia »

If you want to use a template for the week and just fill it in, here is the template I use:

Deck:

Saturday,
ruled by Saturn - Obstacles and Blockades

Sunday,
ruled by the Sun - Inspiration and Goals

Monday,
ruled by the Moon - Dreams and Fears

Tuesday,
ruled by Mars - Conflicts and Challenges

Wednesday,
ruled by Mercury - Interactions and Change

Thursday,
ruled by Jupiter - Power and Influences

Friday,
ruled by Venus - Love and Attraction
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Deck: Fountain Tarot

I waited for this deck very much before it came out, and I still think it's a fascinating, very clever and very beautiful deck. One of its strengths for me is also one of its weaknesses: the people on the cards are characterized so strongly that they make it more difficult to identify with them. They bring too much character to the scenes. But maybe I didn't give the deck a chance? And by reading these strong characters, I actually have another aspect of the cards that I can read. Let's see. In January 2017 the Fountain was my deck of the week... quite a long time ago, that was on AT I think :-) There, I didn't get the hang of daily cards, I felt intimidated and the whole routine didn't sit with me yet. Now it does.

Saturday, 17.11.

2018 11 17 Fountain 9 Cups.jpg
2018 11 17 Fountain 9 Cups.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

There we have such a strong character. This guy looks very happy and pleased with himself. He actually looks as though he had made these vessels himself, proudly presenting his work. How do I connect to it? Quite consistently, Saturn brings me positive cards as though to strengthen my spirit :-) good old Saturn! Instead of feeling bad about myself, I should enjoy my life, take pride in what I have achieved, even if it's not much, and while Saturn eats the time away, I should use it to produce more, make more, continue what I started. yes, I really should... let's see whether I can do it!

Sunday, 18.11.

2018 11 18 Fountain King Swords.jpg
2018 11 18 Fountain King Swords.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

The King of Swords, a strong card and more battle-ready than 'll ever be. But let's look at the card. This sharp guy breaks white light into colours. Wisdom and integrity are his key words in the book; it takes the king into a very powerful, intellectual, wise direction. I'm not like that and will never be. This guy is a total stranger to me - what has he got to do with my Sun, my inspiration, aspiration, my moving force and source of enlightenment?

I have only one sudden explanation. Who is the King of Swords in my life? My beloved step father. He was an Aquarius as Aquarian as a person can be. A textbook Aquarius, in every detail. He appeared to me nearly two years ago in two dreams where he gave me messages. Some nights ago, he appeared, as he had promised, for a third time. I still didn't convey his messages - I feel a bit ridiculous ringing my siblings up and telling them what he told me.

But to be honest - this card is another sign from him, at least in my mind, it is. I'll have to think now what to do...

Monday,

2018 11 19 Fountain Page Swords.jpg
2018 11 19 Fountain Page Swords.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

As if to counter my criticism, the Fountain throws another court card at me! LOL And this one is very lovely - the motif of the many colours is already there but only hinted at, as though the Swords ability to break the light and make colours appear is something they grow into :-)

Yes, I took out the deck and the Knight has much stronger stripes of colour than the Page but not yet organized and tight like the King, and the Queen has gentler, more integrated colours. Interesting.

Anyway, for me, court cards are most often people, and I love the use of the glass sword here, and I know who it is, yielding this sword and talking truth and collecting his powers.

Tuesday,

2018 11 20 Fountain Temperance.jpg
2018 11 20 Fountain Temperance.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Temperance. That's a card I like for Tuesday. I'm suspicious of too much Mars all at once (just like traditionally, esotericists were suspicious of too much Venus...) but as part of Temperance, it's great. I didn't have any conflicts on Tuesday, my life overall runs pretty smoothly and I'm content the way it is... but there was a lot of creative energy on that day, and some new developments, plans for next year, and Temperance is a good metaphor for the way I approach new developments. I always mix some old with the new :-)

Wednesday,

2018 11 21 Fountain Judgement.jpg
2018 11 21 Fountain Judgement.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Judgment on Wednesday - now that's something to think about. On that day, I received a very important information that made a huge difference in our economical situation. A wrong decision put us into a very difficult situation, and for the last two or three years, it has influenced our lives and was a constant source of worry. Something has been put to right that will make our lives so much eaiser again, and on Wednesday we heard those news. Mercury has a money aspect, too, and for us, it's a new beginning while being confronted with the old. A more powerful card than i can say here - maybe I said already too much.

Thursday,

2018 11 22 Fountain 2 Swords.jpg
2018 11 22 Fountain 2 Swords.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

Two of Swords

There is a continuation of our financial saga here, and some difficult decisions about work.

Friday,

2018 11 23 Fountain 5 Swords.jpg
2018 11 23 Fountain 5 Swords.jpg (41.62 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

Five of Swords

Again, this card relates very much to events in our lives, it's actually like a week-long reading about the different dilemmas we're going through.

And the whole week:

week 2018 11 17-24 Fountain.jpg

This whole deck has an analytical, coolish character - suited me very well this week.

i'll add interpretations later - have to rush and cook something :-)

Just to add: over time, it's so nice to look at my cards in retrospect and compare the mood of each week and deck https://ibb.co/album/g3MStv ... this practice gave me SO much!
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Day 1 - Saturday, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades
14 coin spencer tracy.jpg
Card: King of Coin - Spencer Tracy
Spencer Tracy was a troubled and troublesome character. Many people admire his no-nonsense, everyman persona; personally, I find it dull and tiresome. Tracy always appears to me to be hungover, wanting not to be in some studio acting in some stupid movie but out somewhere getting drunk.

Of the GAHT's 16 Court cards, 5 of them show a large close-up of the actor's face in the background while in the foreground is a smaller version of themselves, suggesting a hidden aspect to their character, one part of or quite other than their famous on-screen persona. Here, the background close-up is of the younger, intense Tracy. The golden film strip on his head is part of MGM's logo - the Suit of Coin's studio - and forms a kind of crown for this king. The missing lion in the center circle creates a kind of void - a dark font from which creativity springs forth, or a black hole into which all things drain. Tracy's up-turned hair could suggest a rough-and-tumble attitude, capriciousness, the determination or obduracy of an ox. The standing foreground figure is the older Tracy, from the film Bad Day At Black Rock. His real-life character, along with the part he plays here, is secure, upright, a little uptight, secretive, authoritative, and stands for authenticity. This, of course, was the role Tracy had carved for himself over the years, originally cooked-up by MGM bosses Louis B. Mayer and Irving Thalberg, to save Tracy from his own excesses. Tracy was also a womanizer, whose attentions sometimes turned aggressive. Tracy's well-known secret 30-year liaison with Kate Hepburn was no doubt a strong friendship, but beyond that, it was likely a partnership in which Hepburn acted as nurse-maid to Tracy's benders and Tracy, in turn, provided a smoke-screen for Hepburn's sexuality. All the while, Tracy had a wife and handicapped son at home.

As for today's allocation of Obstacles and Blockades, I read the pitfalls of indulgence and sensuality, even if successfully kept covert and unscrutinized. I see the structures that be, working for their own ends, exploiting an individual's weaknesses while promulgating a facade of naturalness and strength. I see someone of some talent who, in an industry built around falsehoods, was greatly over-rated. I see a man who clung to the absurd precepts of an absurd religion, absurdly, while the realities of life - like fidelity to family and facing misfortune, i.e.: his deaf child - went ignored. In short, this card indicates to me, today, to not just affect naturalism but to get real, for real.

Addendum: I had a very productive day - I was up early and made great headway with my garage construction project. This is space for my sweetheart to call her own, do her crafts and retreat to, for the sanity of us both - perhaps a little like Tarcy had with Hepburn. In the evening, I went to a soirée held at the Provincial Museum; I knew almost no one and felt out of place, so I entertained myself by studying the exhibits.

Day 2 - Sunday, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals
18 moon.jpg
Card: The Moon XVIII The Starlet
Today I'm inspired simply by the pull being something other than another Court card.
The Moon is one of my favourite cards in any deck. Here, Esther Williams is caught at the apex of what could be a swan dive. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis are on the right and left, in black and white, symbolizing good and bad perhaps. Certainly, Joan played the good girl on-screen and off, while Bette played the hard-nosed, the spoilt, the man-eater. Looks, of course, especially in Hollywood, are meant to be deceiving. In reality, they were both bitches - a play on the dogs of the RW Moon card. Holding the moon, although it could be a crystal ball, is Carole Lombard - what could be the dead Carole Lombard, as some traditions hold that human souls travel to the moon after death.

Perhaps it follows as day the night that my inspirations are oblique and so my goals are too. Inspiration comes from many divergent places, but in essence, it is always transfigured by a "moonlight requisition" - that is to say, reflected as through a prism in a deep core on which the sun only in the most refracted of senses ever shines. As we deal with the dark by sleeping it off, the moon is the sun's dream. Meanwhile, we stumble around awhile the faintly-lit deep core, as below so above. As real as anything else, the issue and its derivation are often intangible - indeed, it may be the more intangible they are the more real, regardless of how many rocks Samuel Johnson kicks over.

On the surface, like stones skipped on the water, the deep core of everything flickers as on a silver screen. When sight misleads or simply fails, the cold and the scents and the baying hounds compel one to feel in another sense. Everything's still there with the light off - one can desire to obtain wealth and fame and all the many ego-centric fungibles, but one can also access and be held by something quite else.

Addendum: In the morning I attended the annual library book sale, but it was probably the worst such sale yet. The day was sunny but cold as I worked at renovating my garage. Where the day before everything had gone smoothly and worked just right, everything today went a little wrong and was difficult.

Day 3 - Monday, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears
13 death.jpg
Card: Death XIII
After a night of whooping it up, the Death card doesn't come as such a surprise. The Why We FIght series alluded to on the card suggests the Dream aspect of today's allocation, along with the movies To Be Or Not To Be and The Great Dictator - the dream of victory over authoritarian tyranny on the one hand, and addressing actual issues of the day in the popular medium of film on the other. The Fear aspect seems fairly self-explanatory. Fascism is on the rise around the world, and with Trump as its poster-boy it's surfacing in the form of White Nationalism and the Alt-Right in the United States. Leslie Howard was shot down over the Bay of Biscay by the Nazis as he returned from a diplomatic mission to Spain, while Carole Lombard - seen yesterday holding The Moon - crashed in a plane sabotaged by the Nazis as she returned from a tour to raise money for the American war effort. The Nazis were a death cult whose bloodlust and hunger for power entranced a nation. Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the Jonestown Massacre, a possible metaphor for some of the insanity assailing Trump's America.

On a personal level, the Death card often indicates great change. With my girlfriend coming to live with me in the spring, and my building an area for her to partly live and work, great change is certainly afoot. Hopefully, there will be no actual deaths, and my construction efforts will not result in my entire house here collapsing to the ground.

Addendum: Well, everything and everyone is still standing. Of course, when To Be Or Not To Be and The Great Dictator were made, the full extent of Hitler's murderous destruction was not known. If deadly realities are indeed unseen but afoot, I hope I will find myself in a position to rebuild, with the aid of a Marshall Plan rather than a Treaty of Versailles.

Day 4 - Tuesday, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges
5 cups best years lives.jpg
Card: 5 of Cups - The Best Years Of Our Lives
The Best Years Of Our Lives is a film about the difficulties of settling back into normal life after the traumatic experience of war. The men returning have been scarred, both outwardly and in. The suburban picket fences, malt shops, and apple pie they fought to preserve now, upon their return, feel alien to them, distant, and superficial. The men's families and friends have gone through difficult times and changes too, and they are uncertain how to relate to or comfort their returning soldiers.

On the top half of the card, Dana Andrews has his back to us. He looks out the dirty nose window of a scuppered bomber in a mass graveyard of decommissioned WWII aircraft, not seeing what is before him but rather what is behind. Something awkwardly held onto smolders below. The card's number hovers above him, like V for Victory, but it may as well be a wedge or a knife in the back for how victory feels to this veteran.

With today's allocation of Conflicts and Challenges, the admonition here is to be honest about the gravity of past events and losses, but to also make a turn-about and face the realities at hand and before us. In an odd twist, the real-life war veteran and amputee Harold Russell, although an unprofessional actor, won 2 Academy Awards for the same role - the only person in history to do so. With the money he made in Hollywood, Russell returned to university and graduated with a business degree. When, in later years, his wife needed money for an operation, Russell sold his Oscar. What all this indicates to me is the imperative to roll with the punches, face your misfortunes head on, be resourceful for the future, and don't allow sentimentality and hollow plaudits to defeat practical necessities on the ground.

Addendum: Today saw a lot of hard work. I had planned to go to town, but was up with the first light and worked into the night on the construction project here, capitalizing on the good weather before a week of rain arrives. Not only was the work strenuous, but I felt tired all day. If and when the rains come, maybe I'll be able to enjoy some R&R.

Day 5 - Wednesday, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change
9 coin the women.jpg
Card: 9 of Coin - The Women
This card in the RWS deck shows an elegant woman holding a trained bird of prey. Here, Joan Crawford holds a smaller version of herself. Around her neck are feathers, and The Women, after all, is a chick-flick. Birds are messengers from the four corners of mother earth, but Joan here seems to be telling mother earth a thing or two.

With a cast made up entirely of women, The Women's tagline is "It's all about men!!!" And, sadly, this is basically the case. As far as Interactions go, the film concerns itself not only with how women evaluate themselves in relation to men but also how they conceive of and interact with each other. The Change today's allocation underscores concerns, for me personally, my girlfriend's impending plans to move in with me here. Along with my father - who lives with my mother on the same property as me - I have been busy this week undertaking a project of transforming the garage into a living space for my new roomie. Her presence will mean a change in the dynamic around here, in a number of ways, including an added female presence which my mother is looking forward to. That said, relations between women - as The Women bears witness - are not always untroubled. Miss Crawford has at times reminded me of my mother and, being my mother's son, I should perhaps stay mindful of the fledgling adjustments to the nest and their ramifications. For the record, my mother is a Cancer, a la crawfish, and my girlfriend is a Scorpio, sometimes associated with the eagle.

Normally understood, the penultimate card of Coin indicates abundance, maturity, discipline, and self-sufficiency. Sometimes it can indicate luxury, reflected in The Women's lavish fashion show filmed in colour and included for its own sake. I hope this card indicates these things for the women in my life.
Addendum: Not much to report. I saw my mother earlier in the day - she was on the phone to a friend of hers suffering from dementia. The rest of the day I worked on the garage conversion.

Day 6 - Thursday, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences
5 heirophant will hays.jpg
Card: The Hierophant V WIll Hays & The Production Code
Will Hays was a right-wing ringer brought in by the studios to make it look like they were seriously tackling moral degeneracy. Although Hays had no real power, Hollywood nevertheless voluntarily followed what became known as the Hays Code for 3 decades. The result was that which had been somewhat salacious in its way became so only suggestively, through allusion. An example which comes to mind, albeit outside Hollywood, was when Franco's censors demanded the ending to Bunuel's Viridiana be changed. The original ending saw the young male lead entering the bedroom of his cousin, the erstwhile nun Viridiana, as the camera fades out. Bunuel's forced change saw Viridiana and her cousin playing a 3-way game of cards with the maid in the final scene, suggesting a ménage à trois.

The Hierophant card of the GAHT is divided in half, suggesting perhaps the dual aspect of life - black & white, authority & servitude, good & evil, man & woman. Hays, something of a blockhead, has a square all to himself, resting above and overseeing a frame from the blockbuster It Happened One Night below. A blanket bifurcates the room to assure nothing untoward can transpire between Colbert and Gable. Colbert is dressed in men's pajamas, beginning a long tradition of women wearing a male article of clothing - usually a shirt - in the boudoir. Hollywood, of course, never dealt honestly with the realities of life on earth. The Hays Code, then, didn't prevent Hollywood from becoming a mature art form, it just helped ensure it never would.

The power of the status quo is hegemonic - that is, both obvious and hidden. The arbiters of what is turn everything outside their paradigm into an aberration - homosexuality, miscegenation, sexuality itself, corruption, injustice, even the notion of an aesthetic dissatisfaction with the norm. Yesterday, struggling with a poorly designed tool, I said to my father: "It seems like someone made something once and, since then, it's just been remade over and over again without even the slightest modification." This could be a metaphor of organized religion. I'm a spirit of the law kind of guy, rather than letter. I feel the fact that we do something is less important than why, how, and to what effect. That said, the universe does unfold in organized ways, if beyond humanity's capacity to fully understand. What's more, hierarchies abound in human society. I'll try to stay aware of them today, and rather than butt heads try to bend to their will, no matter how hazy, and hope for something new, something better - neither a deity nor a demon, but a dialectic.

Day 7 - Friday, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction
9 batons sullivan's travels.jpg
Card: 9 of Batons - Sullivan's Travels
Sullivan's Travels is a kind of Gulliver's Travels, itself a response to Robinson Carusoe. In Swift's satire, the protagonist repeatedly meets different societies rather than being lost to society on an island as in Defoe's novel. In Preston Sturges' comedy, the successful Hollywood film-maker Sullivan cannot interface with society, try as he may. Sullivan, tired of fabricated hijinx, wants to get serious about life, but those who love him and rely on him - not to mention life itself - won't allow him to. When he does finally interface with real life, it's a cruel and oppressive intercourse. With today's allocation of Love, this narrative could describe the plot outline of my love-life.

There's that old, terrible joke: "I'd like to spend a night on Veronica Lake." I must say, when I was a boy, I had a soft spot for Veronica Lake, mostly because of her voice, which was quite deep for a woman who measured 4' 11". She looked mismatched next to McCrea's Sullivan, who was 6' 4". The two were also mismatched by temperament - when McCrea was offered the lead role opposite her in I Married A Witch, McCrea - keeping with the height motif - said: "Life's too short for two films with Veronica Lake". When McCrea meets the aspiring actress Lake in a diner, it's an allusion to the legend of Lana Turner being discovered in Schwab's Drug Store by director Mervyn LeRoy - a legend which is erroneous. McCrea, blamed for a murder he didn't commit, is incarcerated in a chain gang - note the ball and chain around his leg. All of these details, remember, relate to my love-life.

Like many Sturges films, the seemingly unsolvable predicament the twisting plot gets into is solved ingeniously with one final curveball. Here, McCrea is saved from a life sentence in jail by confessing to no less than the murder of himself.

In the bigger picture, one might do well to be leery about what one is attracted to. Sometimes pleasure, happiness, and freedom are, simply put, the antidote to anger, enmity, and alienation.

CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I didn't get chance to post all my daily draws last week, though I did them.

This week I decided to use a random number generator to pick a deck. I have them all on a spreadsheet (I think!!) so each one has a number. I generated 77, which is Tarot of the Secret Forest. I didn't draw today's card yet but will do it after I have fed the boys in the house :)
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Deck: Tarot of the Secret Forest

Saturday,

TEMPERANCE

The LWB is one of the briefest Lo Scarabeo offerings I have ever seen. Keywords here are Healing and Serenity. Saturday was frantically busy, full of activity and rushing around. Here we have a fairy in flight pouring liquid between her vessels. If they become unbalanced not only will she lose some of the contents but she could also find it very difficult to fly. Think I got away with it yesterday but some rest and relaxation would have been welcome.
20181118_094058.jpg

Sunday,

THE TOWER

I'm not feeling the full on ruin and despair this card might imply but I had a minor disappointment this evening. Here our fairy is plummeting headlong downwards but her wings are outstretched and she possesses all the abilities needed to catch her fall and soar upwards in a new direction. I've experienced a failure but I can use that to spur me on, renew my focus and recommit to new goals.
20181118_094230.jpg

Monday,

SEVEN OF SWORDS

This reflects perfectly my fears that I'm potentially being stabbed in the back or at the least being stitched up by someone I work with who I am starting to suspect has a different agenda and motives.

20181119_092735.jpg

Tuesday,

EIGHT OF PENTACLES

The LWB says 'Work' and here we have a stag with flowers for antlers. Huh? The traditional meanings are in the field of apprenticeship and mastery. Then i thought about what goes into making antlers, every year. Growing living bone out of the forehead until it calcifies. The energy and nutrients that are required to produce an impressive enough set of face ornaments to win the female and see off the opponent. Then they are she'd it it starts all again. Says to me that the work never ends and indeed it feels relentless. It will never be 'finished' it will just go on and on, constantly demanding energy and resources. There is a provide to be paid and it's a permanent debt. That's a challenge in my book

20181120_194034.jpg

Wednesday,

Thursday,

Friday,
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

So, what do you say after this week - what is better? Keeping all the cards of the week in ONE post (which makes it easier to read it up later if we want to) or just adding a new post?

Return to “My Planetary Week 2018 Archive”