This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

My Planetary Week # 16: September 8 - 14

All the Weeks of 2018 stored here
Nemia
Sage

My Planetary Week # 16: September 8 - 14

Post by Nemia »

This is an invitation to work with one card deck for one week in a group reading.

You can pick any deck: tarot, Lenormand, Kipper, oracle or playing cards. From this deck, you'll draw one card per day - i.e., seven Daily Cards from your Deck of the Week that allow you to get to know the deck better, to hone your reading skills and get new insights about your life.

In a Planetary Week reading, we don't only draw a card per day but also give it a topic. We focus on motifs, topics, patterns in our lives, inspired by the planetary ruler of every weekday (for background information, look here).

On Saturdays, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades,
on Sundays, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals,
on Mondays, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears,
on Tuesdays, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges,
on Wednesdays, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change,
on Thursdays, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences, and
on Fridays, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction.

The focus words I chose for each planet/day are not binding. Please don't limit yourself to the two short words if you feel other aspects of the planet are relevant to your reading.

There are different ways to perform a Planetary Week reading.

Traditional: draw a card per day and use the prism of the planetary influence to connect the card to your day and life.

Selective: select a card that suits the topic of each weekday and use it as affirmation and empowerment to improve your life.

Day-by-day: draw or pick your daily card one by one through the week.

Summarily: draw or pick all cards together before the week starts and treat them as a complete reading.

:!: And what about those who just want to have a Deck of the Week, Card of the Day reading? They can just jump in and leave the planetary lore away.

Share pictures if you can or want to.

No matter how we do it - by reminding ourselves of the planetary regents and their influence, we re-connect to the sevenfold cycle of time that our ancestors established, with their eyes to the sky.

Participants:
Joan Marie - Stretch Tarot
Nemia - Four Heavenly Kings Tarot and the planet cards of the respective day from the LoScarabeo Mantegna Tarot
Stronglove - Antiquarian Tarot
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: My Planetary Week # 16: September 8 - 14

Post by Joan Marie »

I am in for this week and will be using my Stretch Tarot.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I decided to give my Four Heavenly Kings an airing :-)
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

So here we are. Another Saturday, and a new deck!

2018 09 08 Four Heavenly Kings HighPriestess with Saturn.jpg
2018 09 08 Four Heavenly Kings HighPriestess with Saturn.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

Dear old Saturn, grumpy but dignified, turns his back to the High Priestess (I should have tried to put the cards the other way around ;-) ).

2018 09 08 Four Heavenly Kings HighPriestess.jpg

This High Priestess looks very pretty. Her legs look nearly like a mermaid's tail, it seems to dissolve in waves. There's some bubbling action going on at the feet of her throne.

The black and white columns behind her reach out for reach other and form a black-and-white symbol like clasped hands (think Narcissa Malfoy and Snape). Her throne is heart-shaped with a black-and-white mask.

She's wearing an elaborate purple crown and lots of jewelry. The broad and blingy golden border frames her beautifully.

And now, WHAM, a memory comes in. When I was a girl, a little girl, my uncle and aunt went to Thailand and brought a wooden statue with them. A gorgeous, lovely, slender little thing, probably the most beautiful item my parents had. This long-limbed, lissom figure wore a complicated head dress. I found nothing as beautiful on Google, but have a look at the style.

hand carved thai rosewood statuette.jpg

I didn't see that statuette for many, many years. But it brings back memories. My childhood world was split in two when my parents divorced, and maybe this statuette was lost in the proceedings. Or my parents didn't want to see it again. I don't know.

But this High Priestess opens the door to this childhood world, the little statuette and many associations.

I haven't been to the Far East but would love to do one day.

Lately, many dreams and memories have bubbled up. The High Priestess is a good card for that. And Saturn? he's the King of Time, isn't he?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I can't wait to see more cards from this deck.

I'm very curious about the shimmery golds and silvers and wonder how the artist/printer achieved that.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I'm in with Deirdre of the Sorrows. I'll post later.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I bought the Stretch Tarot a while back and haven't used it very much, but earlier this week I did a very important reading for myself about someone very important in my life and for some reason was drawn to the Stretch for it.

You know how sometimes the cards that turn up in a reading give you an answer that is so clear, so intense and so helpful? Well that's what happened with the Stretch, so I decided to strike while the cards are hot and stay with it for a while.

I started to write a description of the deck but have decided instead to give this link to an interview I did with the artist, Joe Stretch. and also a deck review by Nemia

So, Saturday, Obstacles and Blockades and I drew this fella:

Stretch Tarot: Knight of Pentacles, Propriety
Stretch Tarot: Knight of Pentacles, Propriety

I get the feeling from this guy, Mr. Propriety I shall call him, is judging me. He is literally looking down his nose. The fact he is so handsome, groomed and together looking gives his opinion weight, at least in my head. Deserved or not, it does.

Well, to someone who considers almost everything she does to be a creative act, there is no bigger blockade or obstacle than the feeling of being judged. It makes me second-guess my choices and often leads me to drop things altogether. I don't mean criticised. Criticism I can take and usually find helpful. I'm talking about that kind of dismissive judgement whose only point is to discourage.

Mr. Propriety mostly just lives in my head so I guess the message today is to ignore him and push forth.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I was totally fascinated by that face (many of Stretch's cards have fascinating faces). I don't know whether this is really Eric James Lascelles, the son of the Earl of Harewood who turned actor and died in 1901. I don't think it would or should change the way you interpret this card's message. But for those of us who want to know who this swoon-worthy guy is... I'll keep looking for him ;-)

ETA: I'm grateful for the information you gave on your website, Joan Marie. For every card, there's an explanation of the sources and that's great for a collage deck. Although again, for reading the deck, you don't need it. But for appreciating the artist's choices, it's great.
shadowrose
Seer

Post by shadowrose »

I am using the Llewellyn Tarot

Saturday: Obstacles and Blockades

I drew the Knight of Swords. The knight charges forward and acts quickly, making his own path. When facing my obstacles I need to forge ahead in my own way.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Today is Sunday, and who can have anything against the sun? It shines on our plans and secrets, and we can't move forward if we don't see the way.

2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon on Sunday.jpg
2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon on Sunday.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 2774 times

And there it is again! A lunar card on a solar day. The Moon on a Sunday.

Now this happened to me a number of times lately. What does it remind me of? Of course my sun sign and moon sign. Sun in Taurus, Moon (full moon!) in Scorpio. I think there was a thread on AT about people with such constellations, and of course I don't remember what it means... but I'm contrary, that's true. So contrary that when I was little, my parents used to put me into bed standing because then I'd lay down - if they laid me down to sleep of course I'd get up. Life and the will to please have taken the edges off this contrariness and I hide it better but it's still there, and it has of course a lot of advantages.

2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon.jpg
2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 2774 times

This is an interesting Moon, a bit spooky. I'll have to compare it to the cosmic cards of the Indian Bharata deck - the cosmic cards are among my favorite cards of that deck.

Bharata Major Arcana 2018 02 22 032.jpg

Sun, Moon and Star in the Bharata.

The Four Heavenly Kings Moon has a double face - somethingn like a bright mask and a darker face behind it, like the full moon that covers the dark moon - sometimes completely, sometimes only partly... secrets, threats, ghosts... now I wish I'd know more about art and religion and tradition in Thailand and know how the Moon is traditionally depicted. But the illusions, fears and secrets context is definitely there.

Two days ago, I went out in the early morning to see the last sliver of the old moon come up in the east. Today is New Moon, Rosh HaShana (which we don't really celebrate... but we go to family members who do) which is the Jewish New Year (the Jewish calendar celebrates according to the moon) ... and tomorrow, I'll try to see the New Moon in the West...

I had the High Priestess yesterday, today the Moon on Sunday. I'm very curious what I'll have tomorrow. Lots of Moon around me. It must mean something, probably too close for me to really see it.

ETA: I think about today. It's the 9/9, a double Nine. The major card: IX, the Hermit, another Nine. The minor card: 9 of Pentacles, another Nine. We're in Yesod, the ninth sephira - and it's the sephira of the Moon. And all that on a New Moon, at the beginning of the Jewish New Year following the Moon calendar. What a moonish, ninish day!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: ↑09 Sep 2018, 09:03 ETA: I think about today. It's the 9/9, a double Nine. The major card: IX, the Hermit, another Nine. The minor card: 9 of Pentacles, another Nine. We're in Yesod, the ninth sephira - and it's the sephira of the Moon. And all that on a New Moon, at the beginning of the Jewish New Year following the Moon calendar. What a moonish, ninish day!
HA! Look what I drew today:

9 of Cups. Contentment or resignation?
9 of Cups. Contentment or resignation?

It is indeed a 9-ish day. This card seems moonish to me as well.

Inspirations and goals:
I suppose Contentment, being satisfied is a kind of goal but not much of an inspiration really.

And this guy with his arms folded and hat on, sitting, man-spreaded, on an uncomfortable wooden stool doesn't come across to me as particularly contented. He seems more resigned to things, maybe even a little passive/aggressive. Reminded me of this old gif which fits a Sunday mood.

everything is just fine.gif
everything is just fine.gif (455.82 KiB) Viewed 2754 times

So how shall I take this? Today I'm going to do what makes me happy and not just settle for "what will do" and not be afraid to make a few little waves if needed. (Hence my decision to go ahead and post that gif 😜)
shadowrose
Seer

Post by shadowrose »

Sunday: Inspiration and Goals

I drew the Two of Pentacles. Balance. I can meet my goal this week if I work on keeping my time balanced. I need to be more disciplined about how much time I spend on the internet *sigh*

Nemia--what is the other deck you are drawing from? Those pictures are gorgeous.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

shadowrose wrote: ↑09 Sep 2018, 15:56 Nemia--what is the other deck you are drawing from? Those pictures are gorgeous.
I'm really curious about the gold border on the Four Heavenly Kings moon card. It looks from the picture like some kind of gold gilt. It's so shiny. It's just gorgeous.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

The Four Heavenly Kings has a gilded border which is really really beautiful.

The other deck is the Mantegna Deck by LoScarabeo, and I don't draw - these are simply the planet cards for each weekday.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Monday Moonday.

Dreams and Fears is the theme today and I drew:

Dream, Fear or Both?
Dream, Fear or Both?

This is interesting. The Knight of Swords with the keyword: Passion

I have a recurring dream, I've had it every now and again for several years. The setting and other details change but the basic theme of it is:

There is something I really want/need to accomplish. And as I try to work toward it, 100 things pop up, complications, making the goal ever farther away.

For example, the goal is to complete XYZ project. I realise I need a document but my computer freezes. So I reboot, find the document again, try to print it, but I have no paper. So I get in my car to buy paper, but I can't find my keys...it goes on and on and on like that. But actually it is even worse. It's not as linear as I describe. But the goal just gets further and further away and when I wake up I am drained and defeated. I call it my anxiety dream.

This card reminds me of that dream. I know it looks pretty, but maybe because the horse is heading into darkness, and the rider looks so determined, I don't know, but it really triggered the feeling of that dream.

Years ago I had another troubling recurring dream (you've been so nice I won't try your patience with the details) but one morning I woke up and realised what it meant, what the source of it was, and worked out the issue with myself. And I never had that dream again.

I need to find the source of this anxiety dream. I feel like not understanding it is holding me back in some important and fundamental way.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

You won't believe this but it's totally true. Yesterday, on a sunny Sunday, my card was the Moon. If you don't remember:

2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon on Sunday.jpg
2018 09 09 Four Heavenly Kings Moon on Sunday.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

I shuffled my cards really well today and this is what I pulled from the deck:

2018 09 10_Four Heavenly Kings Sun1.jpg
2018 09 10_Four Heavenly Kings Sun1.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

That was in the morning, when the light was bad, but you can see it: on a moony Mondy, it's the SUN.

I took another picture in the evening:

2018 09 10_Four Heavenly Kings Sun2.jpg
2018 09 10_Four Heavenly Kings Sun2.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

You can see the gildings in different light conditions.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by this cosmic game of hide-and-seek. Can't write much now, just wanted to let you know :-)
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

haha, this is so fascinating..... d’you think it’s because of the new moon?
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

this week i am using maree bento’s antiquarian tarot
i’ve had this lovely deck and its companion book for more than a year but haven’t really tried it out properly, so i am quite excited about using it.
the antiquarian tarot uses the golden dawn designations for the cards and is heavily influenced by the work of Paul Foster Case.
the guidebook is very detailed and contains references to the old photographs and drawings/paintings used in the cards, so i will try to find them online and add them to my posts.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

saturday - obstacles and blockades - the six of swords - the lord of earned success

this card is about moving away from conflict or a destructive situation. the card shows mercury in aquarius
it represents my decision not to go on a spiritual retreat to Bath next week, a decision that was hard to make and comes at a great cost.
thinking of a craig david song:
i’m walking away
from the troubles in my life
i’m walking away
oh, to find a better day

it’s not my habit to walk away from problems or hardship, like the knight of wands i tend to tackle them with anything i can use as a weapon, so this is quite an unusual move for me. but it’s the right move.
today i go to the paranormal expo and i get a photograph taken of my aura. the woman who explains what the picture shows, tells me that other people are draining my energy by dumping their problems on my doorstep and i should try to pay more attention to myself and my own needs. so i guess i should walk away from other people’s problems, not necessarily from my own difficulties. that makes sense. then she tells me that the dark grey (that represents the energy β€˜leak’) is also very present in my mind, draining my mental energy. and i suddenly see where the main problem lies. because i tend to obsess way too much about other people’s problems, spending hours thinking up all kinds of creative solutions for what’s bothering them, considering an endless stream of possible scenarios, thereby forgetting that it is THEIR problem, not mine.
so my mind has got some walking away to do as well.....

the image used in the card is a staged scene, a photograph taken by Suddard in his studio in Fall River.

0FA0023A-8C20-4A4D-BF79-67B6E8C5A577.jpeg
A9EE7657-E3B4-4C5F-807A-1E0AA36D9D8D.jpeg
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Stretch and Antiquarian Tarot side by side make for fascinating reading!

My own "contrary" cards continue. Today is Mars' day, and I think about controversies, troubles, conflicts and how to find my way to assertiveness - and look what came up.

2018 09 11 Four Heavenly Kings Queen of Cups.jpg
2018 09 11 Four Heavenly Kings Queen of Cups.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

The gentle, Watery, Venusian Queen of Cups.

Now what does that tell me? Oh it tells me so much.

I'm in a series of discussions with some of my children where old misunderstandings are being cleared up. In the past, I found it difficult to deal with criticism, especially when it came over aggressively or angry - I find it hard to deal with anger and let it shake my foundations much too quickly. I am now learning at my advanced age to deal with criticism openly and without losing my ability to listen closely. I should have learned that 40 years ago and indeed have always tried to do it. But now I'm slowly getting the hang of it. And I do it by using not my Martian faculties (in spite of Mars in Aries, my Martian faculties are non-existent or i nvisible) but my Queen of Cups abilities.

I think that many problems in the family could have been avoided, had I always had this steadfastness and openness that I showed in the last few days. I prepared myself well, with the cards and within myself, and now I find it much less daunting than I thought. Actually, it strengthens our bonds to clear up family misunderstandings. I'm very glad my children are more resilient than I am and enter open discussions with verve, not, like me, fearing what might come up.

I always see the Empress as half Queen of Cups, half Queen of Pentacles. Just like I see much of the Queen of Cups in the High Priestess - and the Queen of Swords is there, too. Queen of Wands and Queen of Cups make up Temperance for me, Queen of Swords and Queen of Pentacles shine up in Justice for me, Queen of Wands and Queen of Pentacles in the World, Queen of Swords and Queen of Cups in the Star.... I see these "feminine" cards connected to the Queens - obviously, only when reading for myself, not as a rule when reading for others.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Conflicts and challenges day. Up comes this beautiful gem:

Judgement from The Stretch Tarot
Judgement from The Stretch Tarot

Earlier this week (on Saturday: Obstacles and Blockades day) I wrote about how the feeling of being judged (real or imagined) is a major hindrance to a lot of my efforts in life.

And today I draw the actual Judgement card. But the thing I am finding about the Stretch Tarot is the artist's choices are really surprising. They force me to consider everything from another point of view. This card is making me think not about the conflict or challenge of being judged, but of my own judgemental self and how overcoming these tendencies is freeing, renewing.

Through the metamorphosis of (ego) death one is freed from the bonds of judgements, making them or being subject to them.

I once read about an experiment where you try and go an hour without judging anything. You just experience your surroundings without deeming anything ugly or beautiful, interesting or dull etc. and you very quickly realise how much of life you experience through the narrow lens of your judgements. For example, Instead of thinking, "This tastes bland", just add the salt.

This exercise makes the bigger (and less generous) judgements we make more obvious to us and and shows us how this unconscious habit skews and narrows our entire life experience.

So I will take this as my challenge. To become aware and mindful of my propensity to judge, how and when I do it in the hope of understanding why and getting control of it.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

sunday - inspiration and goals - ten of wands - the lord of oppression - saturn in sagittarius

ahh how can the ten of wands inspire me? what goals can it possibly represent?
the guidebook gives me some answers
β€œhowever, the number ten symbolizes completion, indicating an end to this period of struggle”
yes! and the end can come voluntarily, by just stopping and laying down that bundle of wood.....
so that’s what i do. i lay down all the problems from others i am constantly worrying and obsessing about. they are not mine, it is not necessary to keep carrying this load. wow, what a relief!

the card shows a photograph by Edward S. Curtis of a Native American woman in the snow.

784285B2-4275-4AEF-9037-A61C2AA3A4C4.jpeg
1438BBB4-8EB1-4848-A642-0E7EC8835404.jpeg
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

monday - dreams and fears - the devil - the lord of the gates of matter - the child of the forces of time - keyword: bondage
sign- capricorn; hebrew letter - ayin, human eye; color - indigo

this devil is a scary creature..... he represents all of my fears, illusions, obsessions, addictions, everything that prevents me from being aware and alive and awake in the present moment, in the here=and=now. he is everything that leads me away from my self and my spiritual path.
he is the voice in my head that keeps telling me i am not good enough and never will be and why don’t i just give up and stop trying.

thanks to I sunshine i am now in the possession of the perfect antidote: tara brach’s β€˜radical acceptance’. the courage to stop and face my own personal demons. and to make space for them instead of avoiding or attacking them.
later on i read this in the guidebook:
β€œif we can cultivate a sense of humorwhen we are facing setbacks and challenges, we may find some semblance if peace.....sometimes the devil is simply telling us a little fun is exactly what we need!”
so i watch a rerun of a comedian show and laugh till the tears are streaming down my face. indeed! just what i needed!
later on i discover her new show is coming to town in two weeks, so i ask a friend out and buy two tickets.

the image shows a drawing of Baphomet by Eliphas Levi, called Der Daemon, in the card the pentacle is reversed, as it is in the RWS devil, representing man hanging upside down, with his focus on the material realm. the man on the left side of the card is from an ink drawing by Goya, called: chained prisoner.

95872BCA-2E23-4411-AD2A-C3B3C95C0947.jpeg
50C55E14-EB16-4C6C-BA1C-5575757B6CB7.jpeg
E0A7D899-E44B-4316-AA82-11561BD55D55.jpeg
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

stronglove wrote: ↑11 Sep 2018, 10:51 the card shows a photograph by Edward S. Curtis of a Native American woman in the snow.
I really appreciate the kind of detail you have on the images in the cards of this deck. Did you get something with the deck that had all this information?
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

yes, i ordered the guidebook separately and it is an absolute jewel! she gives the details of all the images she used and explains how she changed them, what she added and why. i like her take on the cards and she has gotten me really interested in the golden dawn and paul foster case.

i have the stretch too, and i adore it, but i would really have liked some more explanations on his thinking behind the composition. at the same time, it is also really inspiring to give your own imagination free rein.....

Return to β€œMy Planetary Week 2018 Archive”