This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

When Death card shows up first card in the reading

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
newoldians
Seer

When Death card shows up first card in the reading

Post by newoldians »

I was reading for someone, and she asked how her week will go this week.
I put down 5 cards, and the first card was Death followed by Knight of wand and 8 of Wands, and then page of cups and page of wands.
I wasn't sure how to read the Death card here.

Does it mean the next card Knight of Wand will die? Or all the rest of the cards depicting parties will die?
Or does it mean that something will transform to Knight of Wands energy?

When the first card is coming out with Major arcana card, it is a bit weary.
But if it is either Death or Tower, then it is seriously ominous.
It was even more vague and obscure to read for the question, how will her week will be like.

Any of your insights, thoughts or advice or info on this topic? Thanks
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: When Death card shows up first card in the reading

Post by Joan Marie »

newoldians wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 22:51 Any of your insights, thoughts or advice or info on this topic? Thanks
I don't know how this might fit in with the rest of your reading, but for me a lot of times the Death card is telling me to take things seriously. Just in general, to look hard at something.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
newoldians
Seer

Post by newoldians »

Joan Marie wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:54
I don't know how this might fit in with the rest of your reading, but for me a lot of times the Death card is telling me to take things seriously. Just in general, to look hard at something.
So, would it be for the querent to be extremely alert and careful on any of the following cards from Death card? Does it suggest any outcome either utterly bad or good from the readings?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

newoldians wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 14:49 So, would it be for the querent to be extremely alert and careful on any of the following cards from Death card? Does it suggest any outcome either utterly bad or good from the readings?
The cards do not control or predict the outcome. You use the information or direction the cards indicate and control your own destiny.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
emilyn
Seeker

Post by emilyn »

The Death Card often tells me to take things seriously and modify my habits, or person will go through a lot of changes. The cards have no power over or ability to anticipate the result.
TanjaTheWitch
Seeker

Post by TanjaTheWitch »

I would interpret it as a new beginning, starting from scratch. I would definitely not read it as someone dying.... But more like a project developing (knight of wands). The person had quite 2 wands - from knight who runs the shows and organizes things to page who is all enthusiasm about a project - all words but no action. There is another page, another innocent "child" who sees only wonderful things, and there is another wand card, 8 - infinity number, a card related to swift changes, movement and laser focus regarding whatever you want to achieve.
I would read it as change occurring regarding to some project, the action and the swift change that was anticipated will be more focused back to ideas and not action. Nevertheless, a positive vibe with the page of cups, looking forward to the future and being amused because of the fish (sth unexpected) popping out :) ...
tarotguy
Seeker

Post by tarotguy »

In tarot readings, the Death card is often associated with transformation, change, and new beginnings. When it appears as the first card in a reading, it may suggest that a significant change or transformation is on the horizon, and that the querent may need to let go of old patterns or beliefs in order to move forward. Be sure to try this source https://tarotoo.com/ to practice tarot readings. Hope you enjoy
hantu
Seeker

Post by hantu »

Considering the historical times when the tarot was taking shape, I suspect the Death card originally meant actual death rather than variations of transformation. In those days unexpected death was a lot more common--plague, primitive or no effective medicine, etc., I am not suggesting we all return to physical death as the meaning of the card, however. I've been reading the tarot for 50 years now, and I have run into situations where physical death was 'in the cards' so to speak. I find that it shows up as combinations involving higher-number swords, particularly 9 and 10.

Return to “Learning Your Craft”