This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

To Cut, or Not to Cut, That Is the Question

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Thelder
Sybil

To Cut, or Not to Cut, That Is the Question

Post by Thelder »

I know this subject was touched upon briefly, as part of a general discussion, in an older post titled “Basics: Shuffling and pulling a card,” but because the following paragraphs focus specifically on the subject of cutting, I thought it warranted its own post:

In an effort to improve my tarot knowledge, I began doing a daily one card draw. After a number of weeks, however, I noticed that certain cards kept coming up quite frequently even though they had absolutely no relation to the day's events. Upon closer examination, I realized that there were slight variations in those cards that caused the deck to separate at that particular point when it was cut.

This experience caused me to begin reflecting on the tradition of cutting. I had blindly followed the tradition of cutting the deck after it had been shuffled because it had been espoused in a number of the tarot books that I had read when younger, but I had not previously given any thought to its necessity or efficacy.

If we are to believe that some force (either the divine or the subconscious) has the ability to place the cards in the right order to convey a particular message, then we must also believe that same force could order the cards correctly even if cutting were eliminated, as long as that method were decided on beforehand. By cutting the deck after it has been thoroughly shuffled, are we not introducing an additional step that is unnecessary and which lends itself to error?

Just to clarify, when I say, “cutting the deck,” I am referring to the common method of grasping the deck at a particular point and lifting while allowing part of the deck to remain on the table or in the hand. With such a method, even a slight difference of size from one card to the next could be problematic. I am sure there are other methods of cutting that would be less prone to variations in the cards, but might it not be better for those who are just learning the tarot to forego cutting as the final step and focus on learning to read the cards by the least error-prone method available? Even those who prefer to draw from multiple piles, (past, present, future) for example, could eliminate cutting by drawing those piles from the top of the deck once it has been shuffled.

Knowing the frustration and impediment to learning that might result should someone have the misfortune to receive a deck with variations in card size caused by inconsistencies in the manufacturing process, and because the accuracy of the entire reading could be skewed by an errant card causing the deck to inadvertently separate at that particular point when cut, I am wondering if cutting the deck should be discouraged for those who are new to the tarot and trying to learn the craft? Even more disconcerting for the novice than an inaccurate reading would be a situation in which cards such as the Tower, Death, or Ten of Swords continually made an appearance, not because they had any relation to reality, but just because of variations in the card stock.

I would be interested to hear reasons in favor of cutting the deck after it has been thoroughly shuffled; otherwise, I will likely eliminate cutting as the final step, for although I believe it is possible for the subconscious mind to place the cards in the right order initially, I am not as certain about its ability to overcome the physics of aberrant card.
Pen
Sage

Re: To Cut, or Not to Cut, That Is the Question

Post by Pen »

I used to cut the cards after shuffling but gave up for this very reason (certain cards did seem to crop up more often with the same deck, but different cards with some other decks). Now I tend to shuffle well, spread the card into a long line with a sweep of the palm and pick three (it's usually three these days). 8-)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

Pen wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 16:31 I used to cut the cards after shuffling but gave up for this very reason
Thank you so much Pen for your input. I am glad to know that I am not alone in my concerns over this issue.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I've been thinking about this post, this question, ever since it first appeared.

I've had a habit/style of cutting the cards 3x before laying out my spread. I can't say I've noticed the deck cutting in the same spots frequently, but I can say that I have become preoccupied wondering about it.

As a result, I've switched to the old-school technique of fanning the whole deck out and selecting random cards from it. I still cut the deck 3x before fanning it, but I no longer just take the cards from the top.

I'm kind of having fun with it.

tarot-gif-10.gif
tarot-gif-10.gif (1 MiB) Viewed 959 times
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
jarstudionyc
Seeker

Post by jarstudionyc »

Hmmm, that is an interesting point about card sizes. I never thought about it.

Usually I tell my querent to gently shuffle the deck in whatever way feels right while they concentrate on their question. This might involve an overhand shuffle, cutting the deck, fanning the cards out, stirring them around, etc.. But the point, to me at least, is to allow one to truly focus on their question by linking it with a repetitive motion, almost in the same way meditation works with mantras and breathing.

If I'm honest, I think there is a line of ancient wisdom in the Tarot that will come through no matter what cards are pulled.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -J.A. Shedd

-John A. Rice
Creator of the MINDSCAPES Tarot
J.A.R. Studio, NYC
@jarstudionyc

Return to “Learning Your Craft”