This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

How to connect cards?

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Ruby200e
Seer

How to connect cards?

Post by Ruby200e »

Hello, I've been doing tarot for about a couple of months and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but something I'm still having trouble with is connecting different cards together, so I was wondering if you guys recommend any books or websites that helped you with that?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: How to connect cards?

Post by Joan Marie »

Ruby200e wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 15:48 Hello, I've been doing tarot for about a couple of months and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but something I'm still having trouble with is connecting different cards together, so I was wondering if you guys recommend any books or websites that helped you with that?
You've asked a really good question.

It takes some practice for sure, but one way is to see if you can find visual elements that seem to connect between cards.
Like, what if you looked at them the way you might look at people in a cafe. The way the server interacts with different customers, the way people at the tables interact with each other.
What if the cards could actually speak to each other.

Another thing that might help is trying different spreads. Assigning a meaning to each position can help you weave a story between the cards.
Here is a good thread with some great 3 card spreads and some good advice for using them:
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3700
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Ruby200e wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 15:48 Hello, I've been doing tarot for about a couple of months and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but something I'm still having trouble with is connecting different cards together, so I was wondering if you guys recommend any books or websites that helped you with that?
Even though I've been reading tarot for a long time, I find it super useful to use tarot spreads where each card position asks a specific question and to keep the readings between 3-6 cards. Looking at how blank positionals themselves connect together like puzzle pieces was one of the things that taught me how to connect tarot cards together thereafter even without them present.

There are other layers to it like numerology, symbolism associated to suits, looking at the color scheme, how figures in cards are facing, astrology, mythology, what cards share in all these things but honestly I think that is just tarot lore that builds up over time.

Are you using a Rider-Waite-Smith tarot deck or something else? There might be some good resources for your specific deck out there one of us knows of.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Ruby200e
Seer

Post by Ruby200e »

Thanks for your reply! And yes, i am currently using the Rider Waite deck.

Return to “Learning Your Craft”