This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Love readings

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
MaggieMae
Seer

Love readings

Post by MaggieMae »

Since I have started tarot and lurking forums I have noticed that 99% of the readings are about people wanting their ex-back or wanting to know about a certain someone in their lives. I am so fascinated by it. It seems all other wondering things about tarot does not exist. From a psychological point of view, I understand that it is ingrained to want to belong and find love. But often enough, normal readings about self-awareness are often not replied to, but a reading about love and Bang, everyone is on top of it with like sharks.. Utterly fascinating... Thoughts anyone?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
HOLMES
Sybil

Re: Love readings

Post by HOLMES »

Omg,
Love readings get so boring after a while lol

So what i did to improve was in the content title offer
Past lives
Life readings.
Innerchild readings
There was a book on spreads power tarot my friend sent me photocopy and i picked one or 2 to offet..
My arthurian tarot book had some good spreads .. that was back then.
Now spreads can be found at aeclectic tarot archive, here, and sll ober the internet.
So you can decide to do other spreads to improve your craft.
MaggieMae
Seer

Post by MaggieMae »

I am very interested in Past life readings but I don't know how to start and how to discover who I was in a reading. To be honest I struggle a bit with readings that have a future theme in them. I don't believe the tarot is for predicting the future. I did have some visions/flashes of past lives but how to find out more in a reading, I am not sure of. I mainly use tarot for Self-Awareness/Self-Discovery. So questions about a financial deals/jobs/ or future is not something I do. If you have any advice how to practice with a past life reading, I would be very grateful.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

There is a new book called ancestral tarot.
Thst might help you.

I have a book called karmic tarot but i didn't gel with it.

I pretty well started with your typical story..
Who was i,
What was i,
What did i do
What did i look like.
How did i die

I just started doing them. I realize that if i didnt do any 1800 plus dates. I could let my intuition flow..
Like ancient times.

I did use tarot for 3 or 4 medium readings..
I was surprised it worked.

You could do spirit guides reading to practice for past life readings..
Same as above but differnt like

What kind of spirit guide am i
What do i teach
How do i kbow you ( or them)
How can you indentify me
What do uou want to teach me.

Umm
Take it easy though. One time i was doing 2 readings a day.. long ones. And my third eye and crown center over expanded.
So i had yo take a long break
MaggieMae
Seer

Post by MaggieMae »

Thanks. Who was the author of ancestral tarot?
On Amazon I see different authors

I will certainly take it easy as I can get very overloaded when doing too much readings.
I know a little about my past lives. I definitely have a past life in the 1800. Also in the witch trial period. Was burned as a witch. Also been in a Native American tribe, but don't know which one, so that is something I really want to find out. I have The Sacred Path cards from Jamie Sams. Would they work for a past life reading?

Also had a past life as a slave in Zanzibar and in the second world war.But I only see flashes and images that never last long, but it knocks me off my feet every single time though.

I also do plan on having a past life regression with a hypnotherapist I am currently seeing for this life trauma's.
― Robert A. Heinlein
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

Funny thing about sacred path cards i lost them twice.
I was walking and the little white box slipped out from the big box .. twice from 2 different editions.
I tried learning them so i could read with out a book but it just didn't take.
I think just based on memory the images might.. but the gerneral teaching behind each card wouldnt .. unless you doing a reading on native past lives in general.
I find their medicine cards for finding spirit helpers for others is fun but time and energy consumjng.

Ah past lives..
I was sold in old english times( like to say old england). I was a young woman.
In another dream i was having a baby in a shower and surpised. I was a postitue. Do not know if same life.
I was also a traveling old hellfire and brimstone peacher..white beard and mule.
Finally in a past life i must of been a bad juju. For i avoided magic in this life. Learning it. That is.. and pratcing it. So i studied spiritual pratices instead.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

MaggieMae wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 18:44 Thanks. Who was the author of ancestral tarot?
On Amazon I see different authors

I will certainly take it easy as I can get very overloaded when doing too much readings.
I know a little about my past lives. I definitely have a past life in the 1800. Also in the witch trial period. Was burned as a witch. Also been in a Native American tribe, but don't know which one, so that is something I really want to find out. I have The Sacred Path cards from Jamie Sams. Would they work for a past life reading?

Also had a past life as a slave in Zanzibar and in the second world war.But I only see flashes and images that never last long, but it knocks me off my feet every single time though.

I also do plan on having a past life regression with a hypnotherapist I am currently seeing for this life trauma's.
I can second the rec for Ancestral Tarot. The author is Nancy Hendrickson
I believe in Crystal Light.
MaggieMae
Seer

Post by MaggieMae »

It is interested that you avoided magic in this life. I have had the same with Witchcraft. I can still feel myself being burned as one. I can't count the books I have read on it in this life, absorbing all the info about it, but practicing it, I just can't get a handle on it at all. I do like the Sacred Path cards, but they get me nowhere near to a past life. I can read people's totem. That is quite funny. I told a dear friend once he was a squirrel. He could not appreciate at at all..My spirit animal is a snake. My shadow totem a deer. I will have a look at the book. Thanks
― Robert A. Heinlein
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

That's why we have on this forum sub-forums about self awareness work with tarot. Shadow work, inner child work. In my experience, the tarot is much better suited to this kind of work than the usual "private eye" approach.

What does s/he think, what does s/he feel, is s/he seeing someone else, why doesn't s/he phone, all these questions, asked so urgently that the querent's feelings interfere with the tarot, and the answers they get are blurred. Either reflect their own worst fears or their highest hopes.

I know, tarot readers earn their money by answering such "other" questions but the older I get, the more I'm against it. I've said it before but it bears repeating.

1. if we don't respect another person's boundaries while reading the tarot, how can we expect to respect them in the relationship? Meaing: if I use the cards to find out stuff about a person instead of asking him myself or dealing with it in another way, that means I don't respect the fact that he didn't tell me about it. It's like going through somebody's emails or Whatsapp messages. Now I understand that there are situations of mental agony and people do all kind of things. But would you like someone else to go through your phone? or spy after you? You wouldn't, would you?

2. Asking the cards questions about someone else, puts us in a completely passive situation. No matter what the cards say - it's like you're learning a fact you can't influence or change. It's much much healthier to ask what I call agency questions. What can I do to improve the relationship? How should I behave when I meet X next? How can I deal with my insecurity and jealousy? Etc. Such questions put me in the driver seat. The tarot doesn't do spy work for me but helps me improve my own attitude and behaviour.

3. Most such love questions can be answered by yes or no. The tarot is not a good tool for yes and no questions because each tarot card has darker and brighter aspects. If you ask "does X love me?" and you get the Hermit, what does that tell you? that X wants to be alone? that X is waiting for the light of their life? that X is on an inner journey? It's not an answer, it's just a general description. And maybe the card simply reflects back to me that I feel lonley?

If you want an oracle answer, use a coin or some other oracle technique, like Lon Milo DuQuette describes in his book about oracles.

Does X love me? Throw the coin, you have your answer.

Summary:

Many love readings don't respect the boundaries and defences another person has put up.

Many love readings further a feeling of helplessness instead of agency.

Many love readings give information overload and coud ideally be answered with a tossed coin or a pendulum.

So if you do love eadings, focus them on yourself.

How can I further my ability to love?

Which of my expectations are realistic, which are unrealistic?

What am I really looking for?

Only my opinion, I know most people disagree with me, and we'll continue to get new members who ask breathlessly: why doesn't Z phone me? I did 30 Celtic Cross readings with double clarification cards this weekend and STILL didn't get a clear answer!
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

Does love me , the hermit.

I think that would depend on where the hermit lands assuming one is doing a spread and not a one card reading , depends on if the person uses reversals maybe even what the card itself looks like.
Though the way it is written sounds like either outcome or heart of the matter which of course the other cards build up on it.
Could be a simple spread of past present future.
And assuming it falls in the future ..
I might say , it seems like you are going to go through your own hermit experience so might need space.
Or if it felled in the presence you are aloif from each other for some. Could be like thete is a barrier up so conversations dont go too deep.

Course does x love me also becomes "will i ever i find love" question by some.

Better questions. Be along the lines like hemera.. what van i do to attract romance..

Thoughbsometimes the tarot can be a predictive tool do
A knight reversed for romancw for me in ecample indicstes the person is either not a good guy or girl..
Or they have their issies so be for warned.
Vourse in these days we all have our bagges to deal with.

So oh i see nemara point.
I dislike doing how is my year going to go..
Gor the cards started off bad and didnt get any better..
So i leave the vlient thinking they are going to have a terrible year..
And outlook attracts vibration.. so i feel such can dimm their postive outlook so it becomes a self furfilling prophecy..
Or if the person already has such a sardonic outlook be like"i knew it" and not even try.
Guess i am bringing up the predictive nature .
Sometimes better not to know
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

That Hermit card was just an example.
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

I figured,
I worked with to see how it can fit into learning craft
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Tarot for self-development is my jam too. :)

Here is a spread specifically for ancestor work. I haven't used it; I'm so busy trying to teach myself how to live as much in the day-to-day present vs. struggling with the past or fearing for the future that I am really specific in what kind of readings I do presently.

But here is something from Emerald Lotus, a Past Life spread with linked resources that I had bookmarked.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Ooooh ancestor work!!! I'm deep into family work. Would love love love to write a book about these topics but does the world need another tarot book? NO it doesn't.
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

It could, books go out of print and hard to get.
Kindle makes it easier to get but i think for oop books.
I nice specialized tarot boom just what we need hehe
MaggieMae
Seer

Post by MaggieMae »

When it was clear to me Tarot would be for me, It never came to my mind to read for others. Maybe I will one day but for now it is all about self-discovery for me. I have noticed that boundaries are so easily crossed in the spiritual world. At first it took me by surprise and then I realised I just see things differently and it is my own path that is important and not someone else's path.
The past life looks very interesting and I will look into it for sure as for the book by Nancy Hendrickson.

When it comes to love readings, I feel that most querents know the answer deep down but can't face it and hence a tarot reading or contacting a medium is the next step. Sometimes I have asked clearance on a reading on forums that had nothing to do with a man in my life and yet the answer I got was that the man in my life was no good for me or he did not love me. ;)

Tarot is so much more for me and has become such a part of my life. I just love doing some readings, journaling them and reading about it.
― Robert A. Heinlein
emporer
Seer

Post by emporer »

MaggieMae wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:52 Since I have started tarot and lurking forums I have noticed that 99% of the readings are about people wanting their ex-back or wanting to know about a certain someone in their lives. I am so fascinated by it. It seems all other wondering things about tarot does not exist. From a psychological point of view, I understand that it is ingrained to want to belong and find love. But often enough, normal readings about self-awareness are often not replied to, but a reading about love and Bang, everyone is on top of it with like sharks.. Utterly fascinating... Thoughts anyone?
It’s because it’s addictive like spiritually lurking someone’s Instagram. Everyone wants to know how people perceive them to some degree but caring more about the hidden feelings of a sexually or romantically intriguing person gets high priority. Eyes on the prize lol.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I'm still of the firm opinion that lurking spiritually into another person's mind is a violation of the person's border and a potential misuse of tarot. I know that tarot's recent popularity is thanks to the illusion that it's possible. I think these Other readings are mostly wishful thinking readings, or projection readings.

But I have much understanding for this wish, I remember well when I myself used the tarot to look into another person's mind :lol: and I'm glad I'm in a different place today.

However, my tip for beginning tarot readers is: never do a reading without agency. Never do a reading without an "what can I do" aspect. Okay, replace "never" with "as seldom as possible".
emporer
Seer

Post by emporer »

Nemia wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 10:06 I'm still of the firm opinion that lurking spiritually into another person's mind is a violation of the person's border and a potential misuse of tarot. I know that tarot's recent popularity is thanks to the illusion that it's possible. I think these Other readings are mostly wishful thinking readings, or projection readings.

But I have much understanding for this wish, I remember well when I myself used the tarot to look into another person's mind :lol: and I'm glad I'm in a different place today.

However, my tip for beginning tarot readers is: never do a reading without agency. Never do a reading without an "what can I do" aspect. Okay, replace "never" with "as seldom as possible".
Lol totally I’ve come to discover that it’s not helpful to focus on the other persons side of the street only to ask for direct advice from the cards in love readings. I don’t think they’ve been wishful thinking because I’ve gotten insight on what someone is feeling that seemed improbable but turned out to be true. Sometimes in general asking where the other person is coming from can help me be a little more compassionate but I know I have to trust what the cards say for me over basing my actions on what the other persons going through
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

That's interesting. It's possible that you intuitively understood what the other person was going through and the cards helped you bring this knowledge to the surface. That's a good way to use the cards - amplify your senses and give a voice to your intuition.

I'm probably in a minority in the tarot community but I tend to believe that the cards can't tell us what we don't already know. It's a hypothesis and it's totally possible that I'm wrong. But I tend to believe that there is a lot of knowledge hidden in the mind, in the pre-conscious and unconscious parts where we don't usually have access to. (It's very likely that our access to liminal spaces is hidden in these recesses, too, but what do I know?)

Layers-of-the-mind3-1.jpg

Source

I see tarot as a multi-purpose tool. You can use it for fortunetelling - for Other readings - for self exploration - for all kinds of work.

I personally use it most often as tool to probe into the deeper layers of my personal iceberg.

When I read for others, I get permission to enter their inner space.

When I read about others, I enter their space without permissions. And I don't do that anymore. It took some years until I came to this position and totally accept that most tarot readers love Other readings and do them mainly.

I think: if you use the tarot to probe into the messages you received but didn't acknowledge to yourself - that's a great way to use the tarot.
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Nemia wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 11:50 I'm probably in a minority in the tarot community but I tend to believe that the cards can't tell us what we don't already know. It's a hypothesis and it's totally possible that I'm wrong. But I tend to believe that there is a lot of knowledge hidden in the mind, in the pre-conscious and unconscious parts where we don't usually have access to. (It's very likely that our access to liminal spaces is hidden in these recesses, too, but what do I know?)
I love that image of the Mind.

And you know, 98% of the time, that's exactly my theory too, that is what I operate on when talking tarot to believers, skeptics and everyone in between.

And then there is that other 2% of the time when something happens in readings I've participated in, usually unexpected and without any kind of omen that a reading (given or received) is just going to go to a place where things are seen like visions or heard like voices or quoted from conversations the reader wasn't present and had no way to know even happened.

When I was young and un-wise, I reveled in that kind of stuff. Now? I try to seriously avoid it at all costs. I think it totally takes that "respecting the privacy of those not present" to an even deeper level. Sometimes secrets... are really meant just stay that way and intentionally or recklessly going delving for them just to prove how psychic you are (and I was un-wise enough to want to do that as a teenage tarot reader) isn't just disrespectful...

... you can bite off way, way more than you can chew.

But those have always, even when trying for it, been the rare and not standard experience for me. Mostly, I think it comes from how human consciousness naturally works and we don't know what we know and we don't realize how much information we convey in what we say (and don't say) about ourselves, how much intuitive and empathic people naturally pick up from very subtle changes in tone and expression for example. They don't usually realize that's how they're picking up either. Or so I theorize.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Very true, very true. I couldn't put it in percentages but who knows how our icebergs are connected to others and the wisdom of the universe? But it's not a fail-proof access to the realm of visions. Plug-and-play, welcome to Divine Knowledge. Sometimes people think it's that easy, I wish it was. I'm certain though that if there are pathways to the Divine Crown, tarot is one of the ways to reach it.

I just noticed that I'm a sceptic to such an extent - I'm sceptical of scepticism, too ;-)

Return to “Learning Your Craft”