This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Emerald Tablets, numbers 3 - 9, the Lords of Amenti..... and The Tarot

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Diana
Sage

The Emerald Tablets, numbers 3 - 9, the Lords of Amenti..... and The Tarot

Post by Diana »

I was reading the Emerald Tablets. I’d read them a long time ago but didn’t have the necessary discernment to understand their import at the time. This time I read them with more interest.

And as I, like many people, see Tarot in everything, I’d like to speak about something I read in the Tablets concerning the numbers 3 to 9.

Here are a couple of paragraphs to explain who the Seven Lords of Amenti are. Amenti is a word that no-one knows what it means, but the writer speaks often of the Great Halls of Amenti which are under the Great Pyramid.

Seated within the flower of radiance sit seven Lords from the Space-Time above us,
helping and guiding through infinite Wisdom, the pathway through time of the children of
men. Mighty and strange, they, veiled with their power, silent, all-knowing, drawing the
Life force, different yet one with the children of men. Aye, different, and yet one with the
Children of Light.

Seven are they, the Lords of Amenti, overlords they of the Children of Morning, Suns of the Cycles,
Masters of Wisdom. Formed are not they as the children of men? Three, Four, Five and
Six, Seven, Eight, Nine are the titles of the Masters of men.

Now what follows is what interested me concerning the numbers 3 to 9 that we see in the Tarot. It’s only the number 3 that doesn’t seem to fit, unless we’ve been reading this number all wrong. I haven't taken a lot of time yet to ponder it.

Am I suggesting that the creators of the Tarot used the Emerald Tablets to impart something? I can hear you sniggering already. But snigger all you want, that is what I am suggesting. The Emerald Tablets were one of the foundational texts for the alchemists and their hermetic tradition. These numbers would not have gone unnoticed by them and they must have studied them thoroughly. This kind of knowledge was I would think very widely known.

So here is what the author says about the Seven Lords of Amenti :

Three holds the key of all hidden magic, creator he of the Halls of the Dead; sending
forth power, shrouding with darkness, binding the souls of the children of men; sending
the darkness, binding the soul force; director of negative to the children of men.

Four is he who looses the power. Lord, he, of Life to the children of men.
Light is his body, flame is his countenance; freer of souls to the children of men.

Five is the master, the Lord of all magic— Key to The Word that resounds among
men.

Six is the Lord of Light, the hidden pathway, part of the souls of the children of men.

Seven is he who is Lord of the vastness, master of Space and the key of the Times.

Eight is he who orders the progress; weighs and balances the journey of men.

Nine is the father, vast he of countenance, forming and changing from out of the
formless.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. The numbers 4 - 9 really hit me - sort of like a oh my ears and whiskers kind of wallop. I felt like they were describing the Tarot cards but with words I'd never heard before - but so so familiar all the same.

Later on in the text he tells us the names of the Lords of Amenti and say their names have magical vibrational powers.

Of course, this only fits when Justice is 8 and not 11. Which is as it should be.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Baghera
Seeker

Re: The Emerald Tablets, numbers 3 - 9, the Lords of Amenti..... and The Tarot

Post by Baghera »

So, yeah, the halls of Amenti represent the chambers of the minds, Amenti is the great mind 'inside' your brain. And the numbers basically represent the different archetypes present in the human mind: "the Lords of Amenti, overlords they of the Children of Morning, Suns of the Cycles,
Masters of Wisdom. Formed are not they as the children of men? Three, Four, Five and
Six, Seven, Eight, Nine are the titles of the Masters of men."

Return to “Learning Your Craft”