This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

How to ask the deck correctly?

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Myperception
Sage

How to ask the deck correctly?

Post by Myperception »

Do you always ask very clear question towards tarot cards? Or do you came across at times just feel like pick the cards as and when something came into your mind? Or random pick? Do you pick cards without any question in mind? Or any ways or guideline for you to phrase your questions etc?

I am still finding and improving my ways on asking proper question, caused sometimes i get into mess when i read for my own. Reading for others are ok, just myself is an almost mission impossible :lol:

For Tarot - Do you ask YES / NO questions? Or using HOW, WHY, WHEN, WHERE, WHAT, WHO, COULD, SHOULD?

For Lenormand - Do you ask question by focusing on the potential outcome? Or the process / advise to take to achieve the desire outcome?
chongjasmine
Seer

Re: How to ask the deck correctly?

Post by chongjasmine »

For me, for tarot, I generally don't ask YES/NO question.
That is just my personal preference though.

When reading for self, I tried to pretend that I was someone else. That makes my readings more objective.
For God so loves the world that He gives His son Jesus that whoever belives in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life.
spider
Seer

Post by spider »

I feel that if a definite answer is required, then one must ask the cards in a clear and concise manner. And I feel it is important to know before we consult the cards, just what it is we want to know. Then we should be prepared to accept that answer. After all what is the point of asking the cards if we are then going to try asking the same question in a diferent way, because we don't like the original answer?
For example - is J going to leave his wife and live happily ever after with me. The cards give a resounding "no way", so you reword the question and ask again.
Hope this make sense.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

What spider said. Be concise with your questions and don't "push" the cards, accept the answer they give you. Word the question as precisely as possible, because that's what the cards will answer.
Myperception wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 09:06 For Tarot - Do you ask YES / NO questions? Or using HOW, WHY, WHEN, WHERE, WHAT, WHO, COULD, SHOULD?

For Lenormand - Do you ask question by focusing on the potential outcome? Or the process / advise to take to achieve the desire outcome?
I don't have different ways of phrasing questions for Lenormand and Tarot. Either one should work.

I do ask yes/no questions of both.

Also who-what-where-when-how-why.

I avoid "should" questions. Rather, I will ask "What will happen if I do X?" and if the result isn't satisfactory, I'll ask what will be the result of doing Y, doing nothing, etc.

The cards aren't responsible for telling us what we "should" do. I use the cards to see how various actions will play out and choose accordingly. I don't view the cards as a parent or some kind of elder who gives moral guidance, but rather as a device for seeing around corners. It's up to us to choose a course of action.
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

katrinka wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 00:54 I avoid "should" questions. Rather, I will ask "What will happen if I do X?" and if the result isn't satisfactory, I'll ask what will be the result of doing Y, doing nothing, etc.

The cards aren't responsible for telling us what we "should" do. I use the cards to see how various actions will play out and choose accordingly. I don't view the cards as a parent or some kind of elder who gives moral guidance, but rather as a device for seeing around corners. It's up to us to choose a course of action.
I think that's really good advice katrinka.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Tomatosauce
Sybil

Post by Tomatosauce »

The questions I ask tend to be less predictive of events and more "how to bring my best to this situation" questions. Like, we've just had some personnel changes on my team at work, so I ask about what to focus on doing and what to be watching out for. Or in a situation where I had some conflict with a teammate, a question about what I need to understand better to meet that conflict more constructively.

Basically, I start from the assumption that the cards are there to guide me to my own deeper knowledge, or to help me apply the skills and principles I already hold to a situation, so I don't tend to ask about things I cannot possibly know.
Anesidora
Seer

Post by Anesidora »

I prefer to ask open-ended questions, but if I need a yes or no I'll consult the cards for that, too. Usually I try to word the question as specifically as possible to make sure I'm getting the information I want. When it comes to asking for advice, I like to leave it open and not nattoe down my options in case something comes up in the cards that i wasnt expecting.

Return to “Learning Your Craft”