This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A Collector's Forum

New Features, New Groups, New People, and more.

Counting all your Tarot, Oracle, Lenormand, Kipper, etc. decks, do you currently own:

a. Fewer than 10 decks
14%
b. 10 to 20 decks
17%
c. 21 to 50 decks
21%
d. 51 to 75 decks
5%
e. 75 to 100 decks
7%
f. Over 100 decks
8%
g. Over 150 decks
3%
h. Over 200 decks
22%
i. I've lost count but it's a lot
5%

Total votes: 106

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

A Collector's Forum

Post by Joan Marie »

I am currently working on some improvements in regard to making the forum more useful and interesting for collectors.

I have a created poll question just to get a feel for the collecting habits of everyone here. I have some follow-up polls in mind, but for starters, this one will be very interesting.

fyi because some have asked- Whenever you respond to a poll question on this forum your responses are completely confidential. No one (not even me) can see who responded.

It would be so wonderful if you could help me develop this area by answering this poll question.

And feel free to add comments.

Thanks!!! ❤️
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
TarotBeader
Seeker

A Collector's Forum

Post by TarotBeader »

I have been collecting decks since 1991, not including the Morgan Greer I purchased in 1979. I buy them to read, and I buy them to enjoy the beautiful and/or unique artwork. I have not actually counted, but if Oracle and Lenormand decks are included I would guess I have well over 300 decks. They are stored in two large glass fronted antique bookcases.

This year I am going to remove them from their beautiful bags and scarves and return them to their original boxes. It was a difficult decision, but frankly I will use them more if I can SEE them!

Any thoughts? ⚘
Louise
Seeker

Re: A Collector's Forum

Post by Louise »

77 decks including tarot, Lenorman and other oracle decks. I just did an inventory 😊
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Louise wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 02:05 77 decks including tarot, Lenormand and other oracle decks. I just did an inventory 😊
Impressive numbers! I hope everybody answers the poll question!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

TarotBeader wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 18:38 I have been collecting decks since 1991, not including the Morgan Greer I purchased in 1979. I buy them to read, and I buy them to enjoy the beautiful and/or unique artwork. I have not actually counted, but if Oracle and Lenormand decks are included I would guess I have well over 300 decks. They are stored in two large glass fronted antique bookcases.

This year I am going to remove them from their beautiful bags and scarves and return them to their original boxes. It was a difficult decision, but frankly I will use them more if I can SEE them!

Any thoughts? ⚘
I can see how this would be a hard decision. With that many decks it would be pretty difficult to remember which deck was in which bag or wrapped in which scarf.

In any case it sounds like a fun task to return them to their original boxes for a while. It's a way of re-connecting with them I would imagine.
You can always go back to your "old system" at some point.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I have 20 tarot decks right now, and I'm shooting for 22. 😉 That way I can also mentally index them (chronologically too) as my "fool" or "tower" deck and always know what I have. If I want a new deck, I might have to trade something out then. It's hard but it's working. My Judgement and World decks will be the Mary El 2nd edition (the fixed version), and the Tabula Mundi. I'll probably swap my mini RWS fool deck for the Dust ii Onyx travel edition. As in, I'll give it away :lol: and get that deck to replace it.

The one thing I might change about my set-up is how a deck I made myself is the 'justice/adjustment' deck. I might make that slot the Asherah tarot after I've gotten those ^ and decide that decks I create for myself don't count. That will probably encourage me to make decks instead of buying too then. And then my drawing and art skills will improve.

I now have....3 oracle decks. And 1 majors only tarot I was gifted that I mentally consider a oracle deck for ^ these purposes. 😅 I had 4, but I sort of donated 1 to the store I work at for customers and coworkers to use. Maybe I'll take it back someday, but I doubt it.

I overall want to keep the decks I own to around 40....minus ones I create. Under 50 for sure, but 40-ish is the goal. I heard that 45-ish was an average calculated on Aeclectic, so that's mainly why, haha.

I also have access to the Illuminated playing cards, and the Osho Zen. My partner bought them, the latter used. The first to share and the latter out of curiosity. I like the Osho Zen but I think I only have used it once. I might try it out more.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

I am new to this Forum, and don't have an exact count of the number of Tarot/Oracle/Lenormand/Kipper/etc Decks I own, but it is definitely over 200 (probably closer to 300). I've been collecting for the past 30 years and I've noticed it comes in waves - periods when I collect a lot of them, and then times when I obtain few or none. Right now I have been in my heaviest collecting binge yet, which has lasted for well over a year at this point. I do sell many of my Decks too, but not nearly as fast as I get new ones!
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

I have less than 10 total. There are a lot of cool tarot decks out there but I try to only own ones I’ll actually use, and when I view a deck through that lens many that I think are very visually arresting don’t actually make the cut. There are some I would give my eye teeth for, but I don’t have unlimited funds either. So right now I’m sitting at five tarot decks and one Lenormand.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Merrick wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 00:13 I have less than 10 total. There are a lot of cool tarot decks out there but I try to only own ones I’ll actually use, and when I view a deck through that lens many that I think are very visually arresting don’t actually make the cut. There are some I would give my eye teeth for, but I don’t have unlimited funds either. So right now I’m sitting at five tarot decks and one Lenormand.
You roll like I do.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I have 111 tarot decks, and 25 more Lenormand, oracle and playing card decks. I started buying decks more than 20 years ago and also go through phases. I let go c 15 decks that I didn't like but in general, I tend to hold on to what I have.

In the area where I live are absolutely no tarot shops (the last must have closed 15 years ago) so most of my decks are ordered or swapped. For me, collecting is part of the fun, and I love the feeling when a deck is on its way to me (it takes between 10 to 21 days until a deck arrives in my remote corner of the world, often more). It's such an excitement to open a parcel and get used to a new deck.

I'm not rich enough to collect original art but each tarot deck is a work of art consisting of 78 works of art! Art, wisdom, positive energy. What's not to love?
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I decided long ago to stop at 100 decks, but acquired about 130 before I made an effort to stop being tempted. I've never collected for collecting's sake (i.e. to have one of as many decks as possible) but only for either the art or the historical interest. I have sometimes sold or given away a few that I wasn't keen on - mostly duplicates of decks and ones I didn't much like that arrived via car boots sales (my husband is a veritable magpie and brings me these from time to time).
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Kimber
Seer

Post by Kimber »

I've been enchanted by tarot since receiving my first deck at the age of 10. I particularly like older (pre-internet) decks and indie decks. My collection is currently ~1700 and includes Lenormand and oracle decks as well as tarot. If I don't connect with a deck, I hold onto it anyway...I've found that my tastes and interests evolve over time, and I like having the opportunity to work with a variety of cards. I enjoy tracking down various editions of the same deck (e.g.; RWS, Morgan Greer, Aquarian) and finding cool factoids (for example, that the first edition Morgan Greer has black outlines, and that the initial printing of the De Laurence yellow deck has square corners and plain backs). I have acquired a number of duplicates over the years, and these are available for sale on the forum under the appropriate thread; please take a look! :)

Kimber
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Kimber wrote: 02 May 2020, 22:04 I have acquired a number of duplicates over the years, and these are available for sale on the forum under the appropriate thread; please take a look! :)

Kimber
Oh My ! What a list!

Here is the direct link to it: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2677

I see you have made some successful transactions here. Thank you so much for using the forum to share your treasures!
TarotCulty
Seeker

Post by TarotCulty »

:arrow: :arrow: Hello everyone, I am a new member of this forum! And I am thrilled! Many great posts! Currently I have - together with the oracle cards - about 14 decks. There are so many wonderful decks, and I am always looking forward to discover a new and exciting one. If you have any tips for me, please let me know! I wish you a great day! :mrgreen:
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

TarotCulty wrote: 28 May 2020, 10:17 :arrow: :arrow: Hello everyone, I am a new member of this forum!
Hi and welcome and thanks for joining us!

I just had to change my response on this poll because I have acquired several new decks since I originally responded.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

I was going to change mine, too, because I was including my playing card decks. But even if i did I would be right at 100. If I include the two tarot decks I am (im)patiently waiting on, it would put me right back into the over 100 bracket, so I didn't :mrgreen:

I'm also contemplating getting a few more decks in the near future, so I'm relatively certain I will be up into the 100+ range (tarot, oracle, Lenormand group) anyway. Stop the madness!
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I'm holding steady at 328 decks (tarot, oracles, Lenormand, not including playing cards or flash cards). A combination of virus-related shipping delays, my current focus on pips decks, and the deck of the week threads has helped me stop buying and start enjoying what I have more!

Of course, if there's a sudden flurry of historic decks or pips decks with swords that look like swords, all bets are off! Or animal-themed decks or literature-themed decks or . . .
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Ade
Seeker

Post by Ade »

I thought I was a bit of a collector until I joined this forum. Wow, there are some impressive collections here! My main interest is decks from the '70s and 80's. Maybe just edging into the '90s. I try to get as early a printing of a particular deck as I can do but I'm not dogmatic about it. I'm prepared to be patient for the right deck. But I know what I like and what I don't so am quite picky about what I am likely to go for next. I guess that's why my collection is still pretty paltry.

My last 'itch I had to scratch' was the Servants of the Light tarot. I probably paid a little more than I should have but it's in excellent condition with the book and full retail packaging. Apparently, it's quite a rare deck these days. My most recent deck was the Sacred Rose. As far as I can tell, it's an early '80s print and in almost unused condition. I really had to wait a long time to track this one down. That's how I collect really. Get struck by a deck, hunt it down and be prepared to be patient.
*AJ
Seeker

Post by *AJ »

63 tarot, 30 oracle.
I do a clean out every few years though, have had 100's pass through my hands over the years.
TarotByArwen
Seer

Post by TarotByArwen »

My collection was close to 1000 but I've been selling a lot of them. I need to downsize drastically and I also need $$ for bills. :D But the fun part has been deciding what I am keeping. I just put in my keeper list on my profile. I am still updating that list. :D

What's the most unusual deck that you own?
Seek joy, y'all,

Arwen Lynch-Poe, www.bit.ly/TrustIt for a 9 Week Online Tarot Course
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

TarotByArwen wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 15:53 My collection was close to 1000 but I've been selling a lot of them. I need to downsize drastically and I also need $$ for bills. :D But the fun part has been deciding what I am keeping. I just put in my keeper list on my profile. I am still updating that list. :D

What's the most unusual deck that you own?
The Bestiárium by Martina Miskolczi - a hand printed and assembled deck in a small edition. I've been toying with the idea of selling it but it's so special that I can't decide, even though I could do with the money right now...
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
TarotByArwen
Seer

Post by TarotByArwen »

That’s a new one to me. Looks fascinating! I hear you on not knowing. For me, I put the ones I’m wavering on back on the Keeper list. :) you can always decide later.

The Bestiárium by Martina Miskolczi - a hand printed and assembled deck in a small edition. I've been toying with the idea of selling it but it's so special that I can't decide, even though I could do with the money right now...
[/quote]
Seek joy, y'all,

Arwen Lynch-Poe, www.bit.ly/TrustIt for a 9 Week Online Tarot Course
Dreamer
Seeker

Post by Dreamer »

Currently 3 I started recently. 2 coming.

Return to “News & Updates”