This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Reading the Pips : Fictitious practice readings

Diana
Sage

Reading the Pips : Fictitious practice readings

Post by Diana »

iMoodyCrab and I decided that a bit of practice reading the Pips would be nice. So we decided that a fictitious reading would be a good idea. For this, we decided to take the 8 of Cups and the 9 of Swords. Any other cards would have done, but these two will do as well as any others.

Now this is only my take on this reading. I hope others will step in and give their take and then we can see how we differ, why we differ, what is our rationale for our interpretations and then maybe come to a nice cohesive and orderly reading. So I’m not laying down any rules here – just sharing how I would read it.

I’ve invented a question by an anonymous querent. Here it is :
I’ve been headhunted by a recruitment company and they’re wanting me to try out for a job at a prestigious multinational company. Everything about it looks good on paper. The job description, the career advancement possibilities, the salary, the working conditions, even the location. It sounds sort of a dream job for me because I really want to work myself up in my profession and in my present job there’s no chance of that. The job prospects to climb the ladder in this multinational look very promising. They even have internal trainings for company advancement.

For the moment, the position in the new company is similar to the one I have, which is office manager and chief administrator, but view that I work in a very small company, there’s no way I can advance my position without sacking my boss – lol !!! I like it here, but I’m starting to get a bit bored.

But something keeps on nagging me in the back of my mind that something isn’t right here and before going to the interview, I’d like to know if the cards have any insight ?
So two cards were pulled with the positions :

1) Outcome for the person if they are accepted for the position – 8 of Cups
2) What needs to be known that is not known ? – 9 of Swords

8 Coupes grimaud.jpg
9 Epées grimaud.png

Now the two cards must be read together. But I do like to look at them separately as well, before seeing how they fit together.

So here is an 8 of Cups. 8s remind me that I can look to Justice VIII and The Moon XVIII. So we will be having here either something balanced and fair (justice) or something more uncertain or even perhaps deceptive (Moon). This helps me to figure out later when I’m doing the synthesis of the two cards whether the 8 of Cups should be read more positively or negatively, upright or reversed.

Then the Cups are containers. They hold something very precious. They are a reserve of something. In this reading, would this represent all the resources that the querent would be bringing to the new position as well as what they will be receiving? In which case it’s either going to be something beneficial and harmonious - or the cups may very well not contain what is expected. Perhaps the containers don’t hold much water ?

The Water element in a professional reading can be a bit of a warning sign. If the querent were a psychologist, or an artist, it would be lovely. But Water for a prestigious multinational makes me immediately think that there is no place really for Water to flow there. Multinationals work with stringent internal rules and regulations. Where would the Water go ? The number 8 which is a number of equilibrium and balance, although far from being static and which does indeed imply some movement and motion, is definitely not the most revolutionary of numbers.

If we look at the way the Cups are placed on the cards, with the vegetation in the place where it is, it seems that there is some kind of very strict hierarchy. Three at the top, three at the bottom and two in the middle. The middle row seem sort of stuck between the other two rows. Nicely protected. Everything is quite in order and things seem to have a structure of their own that has been put in place which works well. But it doesn’t really look like the middle tier has anywhere to go. As the querent’s description of the post indicates that they will be in the middle tier, there is no clear sign of career advancement in the company as the querent mentioned. The only chance is that one of the cups in the top tier retires or leaves the company. Most likely the middle cup – as it already shows a sign that it may be being pushed out by that sort of elongated white and red leaf or whatever it is.

So now I’m going to go over to the 9 of Swords. For the moment, I’m still looking at it separately and not taking into account the first card.

Now 9s are very nice numbers. Because they imply that a cycle is soon over. All the little seeds are ready to sprout. So this is quite auspicious for this reading.

And Swords ? Well, I’ve recently changed my frame of reference for Air/Fire, and so for me Swords now represent Fire. So much energy in fire ! So much passion. Indeed, the querent is ready to move on and has the energy required to do so. The upright Sword is already apparent. It’s ready to grow and expand.

But we have a problem here. Fire and Water are not friends. Not AT all. This should I think make any Tarot reader sit up. These two elements cannot work together if they get too close to each other.

This 9 of Swords is the position “what is hidden, what is unseen ?

I fear here that the querent will find themselves in an atmosphere and a place that will be completely foreign to them. That will make their whole lives get out of balance. That they will be sitting waiting for a long time for their career advancement which may never materialise or at least not for a very long time. That the pressure (Fire) and requirements of a multinational will be too much for the querent who is used to a more relaxed and almost family atmosphere. That the querent will end up by burning themselves – burnouts are frequent these days.

Brandishing 9 Swords all the time is exhausting. It can be done however if the resources are available to keep up the strength required and if one has time to recuperate. But with Fire and Water… there aren’t many resources to draw on. They certainly can’t turn to each other for help. And in a multinational, if one doesn’t have strong allies, it’s unlikely one will get very far. It’s all about being buddies with the right person and playing golf with them on Sundays.

I think the querent is dreaming of something that will make them eventually lose a bit of their soul – represented by the Cups/Containers/Water. The 9 speaks also of the Hermit and of course the Sun. The sun burns – this could speak again of a burn out. The Hermit, when he comes out of his forest or cave where he goes to renew himself, he has to shield his eyes from the bright sun and take out his sunscreen (full protection).

I’d advise the querent to have a very close look at what the personal consequences for them would be if they took on a position which seems in the long run to be very different to what they think.

However, the 8 of Cups and the 9 of Swords do indicate that it is time that the querent looked for another job. He’s done his time in the little company he’s in and he is ready for bigger adventures.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Re: Reading the Pips : Fictitious practice readings

Post by iMoodyCrab »

Oh I want one session... @SaturnCeleste use to make me do similar exercises as my mentor (for how much ever brief time).

Give me a query and cards, I'll attempt the next one with my perception.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

iMoodyCrab wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 21:08
Give me a query and cards, I'll attempt the next one with my perception.
Well, you could make your own query and choose the amount of cards you want to pull.

Otherwise how about a sort of a classic : "I'm thinking of breaking up with my boyfriend because I learned he'd been seeing his old girlfriend. He swears he doesn't sleep with her and that there's no romance, that they only meet for friendship, but I'm not so sure. He says he loves me but I don't know whether to trust him. What do the cards say ?"

And for the cards, how about 2 of Deniers, 7 of Swords, 3 of Deniers ? Up to you to find suitable positions.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

This has been an brain wrecking exercise so far.
I positioned the cards as I found them from my deck. So now I have:

Practice Reading 24022020.jpeg

On one hand I want to see the number 3 as something extremely positive, wherein the third coin is the product of a shared bond between 2 coins (like a child, or working towards the same goal, perhaps in this case making the relation work and coming to an agreement). Also, 3 being the number for The Empress, I feel like these cards are talking of fertility, followed by harmonious understanding by the 2 perfectly co-existing and balanced 2 of deniers. Wherein one's happiness is not dependent on their others, but their coexisting is just so natural. Ending with the 7 of swords signifying a great win. Perhaps the old girlfriend had other intentions, but the bond with the new one stands unbreakable.

HOWEVER, what I really see is all the negatives, and I can't even explain it in words.
In the 3 of coins, I see the third coin as a nuisance, like an unwanted guest.
in th 2 of coins I see two people not interacting with each other, happy in perhaps their 2 separate complete worlds.
And the piercing sword of 7, I see that as someone cutting their way through a perfect union.

Now I'm just confused what to tell this fictitious querent.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

May I :)

Reading the Pips : A fictitious practice reading

How about a sort of a classic :

"I'm thinking of breaking up with my boyfriend because I learned he'd been seeing his old girlfriend.
He swears he doesn't sleep with her and that there's no romance, that they only meet for friendship, but I'm not so sure.
He says he loves me but I don't know whether to trust him.
What do the cards say ?"

And for the cards, how about 2 of Deniers, 7 of Swords, 3 of Deniers ?
Up to you to find suitable positions.

So as I have never done a “fictitious” read before and it leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable, plastic and unreal lol. But yes I see it as a training exercise and I do revel in the chance to get out of my comfort zone once in a while. However in order to keep a little realism I kept the cards in the position from which they came from out the deck.

1. 2 Deniers
2. 7 Swords
3. 3 Deniers

Dump him or not.jpg

So straight away I see trouble here in the cards as to the fact that there are no cups here to represent emotion or love. All I see is airy swords smack in the middle which to me means scandal, worries and trouble and earthy disk representative of money and weaknesses. I see a 2 for duality and a 3 hmmm maybe a threesome in this duality making it a triad, or is it that the 7 swords makes for a worry over nothing. So let us break this down a little further, card by card.

2 Deniers – This would seem to be Conver’s signatory card with the numbers 1760 printed at the top. 1+7+6= 14 if we want to co-relate that with the majors then we get Temperance which is all about the fusion of that what cannot be fused. On the one side of the card I see a large headed flower bud looking like a deformed poppy head, on the other a smaller flower drooping in sadness, neither of them seeing eye to eye. From this I see this as the beginning of the idea to break up. We have the figure of eight of perpetuation telling me that this situation will do nothing but eternally go around and around until one of them breaks.

7 Swords – Everything here seems to have escalated very quickly indeed. Worry on a very unstable foundation, six scimitars, three on either side come together so gracefully only to be pierced by a single sword that just hangs there precariously right in the way of any growth, halting anything to flourish in this space. I see this as jealousy, but not coming from the querant, I see this as the ex still wielding her prowess on her, maybe a little bit henpecked of an ex-boyfriend who is still under her spell.
I also see this as quite phallic and sexual in the way that the sword is thrust up deep inside the middle of what can only be described as a vulva like shape created by the six scimitars. This vision however is all in her mind, as swords speak (to me at least) of thoughts and worries, and as this is the chief worry of the querant then I can only assume that it is all in her mind. Probably it is what is on his mind too, maybe he is thinking that he can get into his ex’s knickers for just one last do to get her out of his mind for good! Which brings us on to the 3rd and final card.

3 Deniers – Creativity is a word that suddenly springs to mind. The ability to create something out of nothing as 1+1=2 and then from the 2 creates the 1 that equals the 3, the triad, the infamous threesome.

So I think that from this my advice to the querant would be that as she has already asked her boyfriend if he is having or has had sex with his ex, the answer was a resounding no! This is mainly because his ex doesn’t want to and if she did they would have by now for sure. I think therefore her question to him should be.

Has he thought of or is he trying to have sex with his ex?

Put him on the spot and look for his reaction!

Then take it from there.

If he is true of heart then there is nothing more to worry about right ;)
If however, his intent is impure then she should go right ahead with her planned dumping!
Lol
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Love is the law, love under will.

The nature of Will is Love, and it is brought to fruition through Love.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I'm going to make some of my own observations of the two above practice readings. But before, i want to just make a couple of remarks.

Practice readings have two flaws. One is a very serious flaw. It's that because they are fictitious, there's no "energy" or whatever we want to call it that we can pick up on. So these readings will never have the depth of a real reading. They are artificial. I think therefore that these exercises can be useful only if we comment on each other's readings. Even to nitpick them if we think it may be useful. To use them only as sort of sounding boards.

Second, there's no feedback possible. Now this isn't a flaw in itself. Because if we're getting a paid reading for instance, feedback is not obligatory. A "I received your email and have made the transfer to your paypal account" is about all that is necessary. We delivered what was ordered. But if we're really wanting to progress with the Tarot, we need feedback.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

iMoodyCrab wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:23

On one hand I want to see the number 3 as something extremely positive, wherein the third coin is the product of a shared bond between 2 coins (like a child, or working towards the same goal, perhaps in this case making the relation work and coming to an agreement). Also, 3 being the number for The Empress, I feel like these cards are talking of fertility, followed by harmonious understanding by the 2 perfectly co-existing and balanced 2 of deniers. Wherein one's happiness is not dependent on their others, but their coexisting is just so natural. Ending with the 7 of swords signifying a great win. Perhaps the old girlfriend had other intentions, but the bond with the new one stands unbreakable.

HOWEVER, what I really see is all the negatives, and I can't even explain it in words.
In the 3 of coins, I see the third coin as a nuisance, like an unwanted guest.
in th 2 of coins I see two people not interacting with each other, happy in perhaps their 2 separate complete worlds.
And the piercing sword of 7, I see that as someone cutting their way through a perfect union.

Now I'm just confused what to tell this fictitious querent.
Here are my comments on the cards and also on your reading. Sort of how I piece them together.

Firsty, as AeonHorus observes in his reading, there are no cups in this spread. It's rather odd in a reading about love matters. This struck me immediately, as it did AeonHorus. It's sort of like a big neon light flashing. Particularly with the question at hand.

Number three is a card that speaks of growth of some sort, if that is what you mean by positive. But sometimes there are things that shouldn't grow. Like weeds in a vegetable patch. But that third coin that has grown... what it is? Why is it there all of a sudden, taking up half of the card? It's hugely conspicuous. In this reading, this would surely point to the appearance of the ex-girlfriend. So it may be a nuisance as you say, but it may not. We need to look at the other cards for confirmation. To see if it's a good growth or some weed that will end up by invading the whole garden.

But just after this, is the 2 of Deniers. That's surprising a bit. Because these two Deniers to me seem to be happily spinning and almost dancing together. Twos speak of duality yes, but also of harmony - because there has to be a yin with a yang. The 3 of Deniers doesn't seem to have affected this harmony and this balance.

I'm reading your cards as a sort of progression - as you didn't give positions to the cards, I would assume that the tarot is showing us a progression of some sort here. A sort of beginning through to the end. Past present future kind of thing. That's why I'm not going along with your interpretation that they are not interacting. The Two of Deniers are interacting very much it seems to me. In fact they're very complementary.

This doesn't mean however that you're wrong. Depends on the position or intention you had when drawing the cards. So your interpretation could also very well stand up. Did you have any sort of plan in your head when you drew these cards ? Even if you only wanted a sort of a "painting", did you DELIBERATELY formulate to the Tarot that you were asking for a "painting" ?

And I agree full heartedly that the 7 of Swords is trying to cut their way through the perfect union. Because even if the two are spinning in their separate worlds, they seem to be doing it very well. And a perfect union can also be created out of two very independent souls and beings.

I don't think they have been sleeping together or having physical romantic contact, but there is something in the air. And the querent is right to feel uneasy about SOMETHING. The number 7 is indicating that there is a change of some sort. And that 3 of Deniers is really pretty loud. Not the most discrete of the deniers. The Tarot doesn't indicate that the relationship is in serious danger... but there are signs that it could be affected by this situation.

The Tarot doesn't indicate anywhere as far as I can see the intentions of the ex girlfriend. So it's not a reading that says "this woman is trying to steal my boyfriend back". But it does mean that there are maybe some clouds on the way. That third Denier really takes up a lot of room. Maybe she is in financial difficulty... another reading would be required to know what her intentions are.

I would reassure the querent that the two are not at present anyway sleeping together. And that there's not a lot of cups - i.e. love.

I think you did a really good reading. All that was missing was a conclusion.
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

I see what you mean... I'm all set for the next test...
Diana wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:38 Did you have any sort of plan in your head when you drew these cards ? Even if you only wanted a sort of a "painting", did you DELIBERATELY formulate to the Tarot that you were asking for a "painting" ?
No position for cards, I'm trying to read them as a whole for now. But I like how you transition from one card to the other stitching it all up into one story. I'll remember that tip. Painting is oddly an accurate description of what I was asking from the cards "Paint me a picture" types. What I usually actually say is "Talk to me, tell me all I need to know".
Diana wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:38 I think you did a really good reading. All that was missing was a conclusion.
All the above, and especially these tips are really helpful.

I'm all set for the next one! Found the below online. Although they gave RWS cards, I prefer to the do the practice with TdM. Shall we have a go? I can conduct reading today at 13:30 GMT.

The querent is a skeptical, late middleaged female, dressed frugally/shabbily, with a well-educated style of speech.
Her question pertains to property-related issues.
She is presented with the following:

Practice Reading - 25022020.png
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

That's a great exercise. I doubt I'll have time for any tarot things till tomorrow maybe even the day after. I also still want to make the observations on AeonHorus' reading. But today I'm much too busy. So I'll do this reading as soon as I can.
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

My reading for this querent:

Starting off with The Chariot, he seems to belong to a noble family, coming from wealth. Given the querents well-educated style of speech, it's possible the lady comes from a noble family. There's an beautiful amalgamation of feminine and masculine energy with the horses. The one on the right looks more feminine, however, I am unable to interpret why her one eye is closed. Does that mean something? There are two masks on his shoulder, one on each. Which gives the impression he is the intersecting balanced point. Like the balance between good & evil, or ying & yang. Perhaps this lady has found her balance and moved with the flow of the universe instead of racing behind or ahead of time?

What I'm learning about the querent in this case is she is someone who is extremely careful and considers all her odds before coming taking any decision or action.

Coming back to topic at hand, her property related issues seem to moving in a direction that is perhaps not agreeable to her. 6 of swords indicate change that is beyond one's control. With The Hermit I would say the cards are saying to let go... abandon your worries, if the property is causing undue stress, perhaps it's not meant to be. The wise things to do right now would be confront the change and accept it.

How did I do this time?
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

Diana wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 08:34 That's a great exercise. I doubt I'll have time for any tarot things till tomorrow maybe even the day after. I also still want to make the observations on AeonHorus' reading. But today I'm much too busy. So I'll do this reading as soon as I can.
That's absolutely understandable and no rush at all.

I've submitted my interpretation of the cards. Will look forward to yours and everyone else's feedback.

Namaste
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

AeonHorus wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 18:18
1. 2 Deniers
2. 7 Swords
3. 3 Deniers

Dump him or not.jpg

So straight away I see trouble here in the cards as to the fact that there are no cups here to represent emotion or love. All I see is airy swords smack in the middle which to me means scandal, worries and trouble and earthy disk representative of money and weaknesses. I see a 2 for duality and a 3 hmmm maybe a threesome in this duality making it a triad, or is it that the 7 swords makes for a worry over nothing. So let us break this down a little further, card by card.

2 Deniers – This would seem to be Conver’s signatory card with the numbers 1760 printed at the top. 1+7+6= 14 if we want to co-relate that with the majors then we get Temperance which is all about the fusion of that what cannot be fused. On the one side of the card I see a large headed flower bud looking like a deformed poppy head, on the other a smaller flower drooping in sadness, neither of them seeing eye to eye. From this I see this as the beginning of the idea to break up. We have the figure of eight of perpetuation telling me that this situation will do nothing but eternally go around and around until one of them breaks.

7 Swords – Everything here seems to have escalated very quickly indeed. Worry on a very unstable foundation, six scimitars, three on either side come together so gracefully only to be pierced by a single sword that just hangs there precariously right in the way of any growth, halting anything to flourish in this space. I see this as jealousy, but not coming from the querant, I see this as the ex still wielding her prowess on her, maybe a little bit henpecked of an ex-boyfriend who is still under her spell.
I also see this as quite phallic and sexual in the way that the sword is thrust up deep inside the middle of what can only be described as a vulva like shape created by the six scimitars. This vision however is all in her mind, as swords speak (to me at least) of thoughts and worries, and as this is the chief worry of the querant then I can only assume that it is all in her mind. Probably it is what is on his mind too, maybe he is thinking that he can get into his ex’s knickers for just one last do to get her out of his mind for good! Which brings us on to the 3rd and final card.

3 Deniers – Creativity is a word that suddenly springs to mind. The ability to create something out of nothing as 1+1=2 and then from the 2 creates the 1 that equals the 3, the triad, the infamous threesome.

So I think that from this my advice to the querant would be that as she has already asked her boyfriend if he is having or has had sex with his ex, the answer was a resounding no! This is mainly because his ex doesn’t want to and if she did they would have by now for sure. I think therefore her question to him should be.

Has he thought of or is he trying to have sex with his ex?

Put him on the spot and look for his reaction!

Then take it from there.

If he is true of heart then there is nothing more to worry about right ;)
If however, his intent is impure then she should go right ahead with her planned dumping!
Lol
AeonHorus, my opinion is that you did a pretty good TdM reading.

At first, for a long time, I thought that is didn't make sense that the 7 of Swords could indicate anything sexual - even if it is just in the girl's mind as you cleverly said (that was really cool that you saw this). Although one could indeed imagine a phallus and a vulva, that would be pretty painful - sex by sword I thought - even the idea of it. But I decided in the end after a considerable amount of debating with myself about this, that why not. However, it still doesn't feel completely right somehow. A Baton would have been more appropriate. A 6 of Swords would have made more sense in this case - as it's related to l'Amoureux VI (Lover - singular in the TdM).

I'm not sure why a 7 of Swords would relate to jealousy. Pride perhaps, but jealousy ? Again, I think a 6 of Swords or another card would have been more appropriate in this case.

But apart from the reservations about the 7 of Swords, I think It's a very adequate reading seen from my viewpoint.

But if I may... I think reducing the numbers theosophically of the date on the 2 of Deniers is pushing things a bit far. It's just a date. (A snippet : Kris Hadar put two dates on his 2 de Deniers in his Véritable Tarot de Marseilles de Kris Hadar : 1996 - the date of publication, but also 1181). Seriously, I'd really recommend you ignore the date. Except for historical research where it comes in very handy.

I'm going to do the same reading as soon as I have time (end of the week my schedule loosens its grip a bit). With the same positions of your cards. And see how I would have read it. It's not in order to challenge you or anything. Just to see how I would have read this with my first intuition, that the 7 of Swords don't have any relation to sex. Maybe I'll come to the same conclusion as you, but through different ways. Who knows ?
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

Diana wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 20:48

AeonHorus, my opinion is that you did a pretty good TdM reading.
Thank you, that means a lot! :D ;)
At first, for a long time, I thought that is didn't make sense that the 7 of Swords could indicate anything sexual - even if it is just in the girl's mind as you cleverly said (that was really cool that you saw this). Although one could indeed imagine a phallus and a vulva, that would be pretty painful - sex by sword I thought - even the idea of it.
this could well be a cultural thing, that hangs off the back of British vulgar humour.
In England, the penis is also lovingly called a "pork sword' lol, and swords are most often thought of as phallic in many magickal rites and circles especially in wicca.
But I decided in the end after a considerable amount of debating with myself about this, that why not. However, it still doesn't feel completely right somehow. A Baton would have been more appropriate. A 6 of Swords would have made more sense in this case - as it's related to l'Amoureux VI (Lover - singular in the TdM).
Now then. I wasn't going off of a numerical value to see this I was looking at the card intuitively to see what story it wanted to tell. As you quoted Enrique in another thread about the TdM to me I figured that I would give that a try and that is what showed up.
Hypothetically if it was a 6 = the Lovers then to me that is a mutual thing of two - duality - surrender not of anything so underhand as an affair. Plus in the six in the TdM deck there would be a perfect balance in the image, no instability, no one rocking the boat.
This was my take!
I'm not sure why a 7 of Swords would relate to jealousy. Pride perhaps, but jealousy ? Again, I think a 6 of Swords or another card would have been more appropriate in this case.
Isn't pride related to jealousy?
But again I was looking at the cards to see what they were showing me, I saw a big sword standing in the way, acting like a jealous ex trying to put a spanner in the works, smack bang right in the middle of the spread. Escalating the situation rapidly into a state of imbalance and upheaval with the confidence and stealth of a thief or someone else with ill intention.
But apart from the reservations about the 7 of Swords, I think It's a very adequate reading seen from my viewpoint.
Yes this is indeed your viewpoint, as that was mine. We are all different and we all see different things in different ways. This is what makes us all unique and special ;)
It would be a very droll world if everyone saw life through the same eyes right :D
But if I may... I think reducing the numbers theosophically of the date on the 2 of Deniers is pushing things a bit far. It's just a date. (A snippet : Kris Hadar put two dates on his 2 de Deniers in his Véritable Tarot de Marseilles de Kris Hadar : 1996 - the date of publication, but also 1181).
Of course you may, isn't that the very core of this exercise, to express your thoughts so that we can all develop and learn from one and other :) :)
However reducing the number was in my eyes very important at the time as it stood out like a blind cobblers thumb!
Intuitively speaking that is, and something deep inside guided me to break it down numerologically to its major arcana counterpart.
You know like you do with the card numbers marrying them off to a major, which is totally acceptable if that's what the cards say to you.
To be honest I don't really care who put what date on who's card or for how many dates they put on for that matter, all that mattered to me at that particular time was that those numbers stood out!
Seriously, I'd really recommend you ignore the date. Except for historical research where it comes in very handy.
So I'll just ignore this :lol:

I'm going to do the same reading as soon as I have time (end of the week my schedule loosens its grip a bit). With the same positions of your cards. And see how I would have read it. It's not in order to challenge you or anything. Just to see how I would have read this with my first intuition, that the 7 of Swords don't have any relation to sex. Maybe I'll come to the same conclusion as you, but through different ways. Who knows ?
Kool I am really looking forward to your take on this reading, in your own time there is no immediate rush.
Oh, and I really don't see it as a challenge neither, so don't worry 8-)

Aeon
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Thank you for these further explanations AeonHorus. It's always good to know where people are coming from. I didn't know about that slang word - first time I've heard of it. Makes a lot of sense.

Pride doesn't imply jealousy per se. But I'm nitpicking here.

As to the date, well, you seem fixed on it and it's a free world. If I got a reading from a Tarot reader however who included this date in their interpretations, I'd not return for a further reading as I'd consider them a bit of a nutcase. But maybe other people would find this idea delightful.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

Diana wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 20:48 I'm not sure why a 7 of Swords would relate to jealousy.
WoW well I never Ha ha bloody ha!

I was just browsing this site when I came across this thread...

https://cultoftarotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=1355

These cards struck out at me like lightning!
Jealousy.jpg
Well well well I wonder I thought, so I checked and.....
"The minors are based on the four suits of Fear, Jealousy, Hope and Love. These can be read by either matching each card to its corresponding equivalent in the traditional minors of Swords, Wands, Coins and Cups. Or, by using the Boiardo system of the four passions scale combined with the relevant poem".

Sure as hell the suit of Swords correspond to the suits of Jealousy :lol:

http://jooktarot.com/theda-bara-tarot

Sure is interesting how intuition works hey and I did say in my original post of the reading
All I see is airy swords smack in the middle which to me means scandal, worries and trouble
I suppose jealousy falls under this monika ;)

And before you say that TdM is different because that is a RW based deck. TdM is no different fundamentally from any other tarot based deck, they all share the same common denominator. :)

Aeon
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Well, if the Vamp Tarot says so, I suppose it is so.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

Diana wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:19 Well, if the Vamp Tarot says so, I suppose it is so.
Now now Diana :lol:
No need to be shirty ;)
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

AeonHorus wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:47
Diana wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:19 Well, if the Vamp Tarot says so, I suppose it is so.
No need to be shirty ;)
I looked up shirty. It means bad-tempered or annoyed (you seem to be teaching me new vocabulary). I'm not bad-tempered nor annoyed although I understand why you used this word. There are other adjectives more suited for my feelings. But let's not get into that here. But wordhippo has 37 synonyms for my feeling.

Anyway, I look forward to your comments on my reading when I get round to doing it. Which will most definitely be tomorrow as today is not suitable for doing readings. And you can be shirty about it if you want to. 😆
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

Diana wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:53
AeonHorus wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:47
No need to be shirty ;)
I looked up shirty. It means bad-tempered or annoyed (you seem to be teaching me new vocabulary). I'm not bad-tempered nor annoyed although I understand why you used this word. There are other adjectives more suited for my feelings. But let's not get into that here. But wordhippo has 37 synonyms for my feeling.

Anyway, I look forward to your comments on my reading when I get round to doing it. Which will most definitely be tomorrow as today is not suitable for doing readings. And you can be shirty about it if you want to. 😆
Hahaha now worries.
I get the feeling you are a tad on the busy side today.

Anyway yes and I wait with baited breath.
I loved your first take on your original reading by the way ;) it really was a breath of fresh air to what I usually read on these forums.
I dig your style 8-)
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

AeonHorus wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 08:08

And before you say that TdM is different because that is a RW based deck. TdM is no different fundamentally from any other tarot based deck, they all share the same common denominator. :)

Aeon
I seem to have zapped that sentence. Now do you really want me to get shirty ? You don't know what you're getting in for then. I tell my granddaughter never to make me too annoyed or cross because when I get cross I have smoke coming out of my ears and fire out of my nose and that I turn into a dragon. She doesn't believe me but I told her that she's never made me cross enough for me to be transformed into my dragon state, but that she should watch out. She just laughs and says I'm talking nonsense.

I'll make a thread one day when I have time about Tarot and language. And grammar and syntax. And the difficulty of translating one language to another. I'm a part-time translator. Sometimes I take up to twenty minutes to find the exact and proper translation of an expression.

I have some notes somewhere on this Tarot/language question - I just have to put them into order and elaborate on them a bit.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

Diana wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 09:27

I have some notes somewhere on this Tarot/language question - I just have to put them into order and elaborate on them a bit.
Very much so. This is just what I would love to read.

Ps...
Love the Dragon story ;)
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

iMoodyCrab wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 13:57 My reading for this querent:

Starting off with The Chariot, he seems to belong to a noble family, coming from wealth. Given the querents well-educated style of speech, it's possible the lady comes from a noble family. There's an beautiful amalgamation of feminine and masculine energy with the horses. The one on the right looks more feminine, however, I am unable to interpret why her one eye is closed. Does that mean something? There are two masks on his shoulder, one on each. Which gives the impression he is the intersecting balanced point. Like the balance between good & evil, or ying & yang. Perhaps this lady has found her balance and moved with the flow of the universe instead of racing behind or ahead of time?

What I'm learning about the querent in this case is she is someone who is extremely careful and considers all her odds before coming taking any decision or action.

Coming back to topic at hand, her property related issues seem to moving in a direction that is perhaps not agreeable to her. 6 of swords indicate change that is beyond one's control. With The Hermit I would say the cards are saying to let go... abandon your worries, if the property is causing undue stress, perhaps it's not meant to be. The wise things to do right now would be confront the change and accept it.

How did I do this time?
The problem with this reading is that I'm not sure what the question is. Should we be looking to see why there is a problem ? When it will be solved? Are we looking to see HOW it can be solved ? I think we're seriously lacking some context.

So your reading is as good as anyone's.

Have no idea why one of the eyes are closed. I'd never noticed that before. Of if I had, I've forgotten. I wonder if it's really the case or if it's a printing thing. Am going to look into this.

The epaulets (masks you called them) are apparently the Moon and the Sun. So definitely some duality here, yin/yang.

I think your reading is very sound. Considering we don't know what we're looking for.

As soon as I saw the cards, I had one thought and it's still with me today. This woman who has fallen on hard times will have to wait for someone to kick the bucket (Hermit) in order for the issue to start moving. There's an old person, probably a man, who is the root of the problem. Those six of Swords make me think that's it's maybe a husband or an ex husband. Or another old person. The situation is going to be blocked for quite some time in my opinion.

What's interesting about Le Chariot VII is that 1) the Chariot doesn't move - it's not really a chariot - the direction of the wheels would not allow it move. It looks more like a podium of some sort, and 2) that the horses are just extensions of the vehicle/podium- they're not real horses.

So the idea of "movement" which is commonly associated with Le Chariot is rather odd. It's pretty illusory to think that a Chariot that can't move implies movement.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Just want to say I'm really planning to get back to this thread and it will be very very soon. Am looking forward to it too.
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

I find it fascinating, the minute details you catch... And yes, I did go and look at the wheels of the chariot, you are right, it's not movable at all! It's almost like a prop.

How do you deduce the horses aren't real? I'm still intrigued about the closed eye of the right horse.
Another thing I noticed, but not sure what it means, the direction of both horses is opposite, but their head is looking in the same direction. Like 2 opposites, perhaps from different paths, heading to the same destination? I'm just shooting blind arrows now. The observation I totally stand by, but the meaning, not so much.

Also, both the horses seem to be wearing a pendant of the alchemist symbol for gold. Does that have a significance?

This thread was suppose to be dedicated to Pips, perhaps we can discuss The Chariot elsewhere?
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

iMoodyCrab wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 03:46 I find it fascinating, the minute details you catch... And yes, I did go and look at the wheels of the chariot, you are right, it's not movable at all! It's almost like a prop.

How do you deduce the horses aren't real? I'm still intrigued about the closed eye of the right horse.
Another thing I noticed, but not sure what it means, the direction of both horses is opposite, but their head is looking in the same direction. Like 2 opposites, perhaps from different paths, heading to the same destination? I'm just shooting blind arrows now. The observation I totally stand by, but the meaning, not so much.

Also, both the horses seem to be wearing a pendant of the alchemist symbol for gold. Does that have a significance?

This thread was suppose to be dedicated to Pips, perhaps we can discuss The Chariot elsewhere?
Yes, how about you open a thread about Le Chariot in the appropriate section. It's a fascinating card - as they are all. There are slight variations in the different TdMs, for instance the "pendants" that you're speaking of which are not on the Noblet nor the Grimaud, nor the Conver. There are also the colours of the horses that are very important. Also, in your reading, you're using the Camoin deck - and Philippe Camoin made some very unusual additions to his deck which one should be aware of as a number of these are not traditional nor necessarily authentic. I wouldn't advise someone new to the TdM to use the Camoin as their study deck.

The horses aren't real because they don't have hind legs and they're sort of attached to the Chariot. Sort of like an extension of it. Like you said, it's more of a prop than anything else. But let's talk about this in a dedicated thread.

Return to “The Pip Cards of Tarot de Marseille”