This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Paul Marteau (Grimaud) Biography

Discussion of the symbolism, history and how to read with the Marseilles
_R_
Sybil

Paul Marteau (Grimaud) Biography

Post by _R_ »

For those who like the Grimaud deck or are curious about the evolution of Tarot de Marseille, here’s a biography of Paul Marteau.
TarotTDM
Seeker

Re: Paul Marteau (Grimaud) Biography

Post by TarotTDM »

Great research on the man, appreciate it:) If you are interested in an English translation of Paul Marteau, you can find one on: https://www.circleandtriangle.com
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

While an English translation of Marteau’s book is certainly a desideratum, you ought to be aware that it is still under copyright for another 15 years, that is, until 2036, since the relevant law in this respect is life + 70 years.

À bon entendeur, salut !
TarotTDM
Seeker

Post by TarotTDM »

HI, No, actually the copy right does not belong to Paul Marteau, so life + 15 does not apply here. It belongs to Arts et Metiers Graphiques, 70 years from 1949, which expired in 2019 (the company does not exist anymore). The re-register in 1981 does not extend the copy right years. Anyways you should buy the book. Salute.
TarotTDM
Seeker

Post by TarotTDM »

Sorry I meant to write life + 70 years, not 15 - a typo;) In any case, this does not apply in this case, since the copy right does not belong to Paul Marteau. Anyways I was not trying to be snarky with my comment. You seem to be the expert on Marteau around here and a book review from you would be valuable i think to the community.
TarotTDM
Seeker

Post by TarotTDM »

For general info to those that may have have some interest in navigating the world of copy right and in particular Marteau. The main reason Arts et Metiers Graphiques re-registration of their copy right in 1981, had to do with the Grimaud tarot card images, now with more cards copyrighted and imbedded in the pages of the book (the book from 1949 had glued-in tarot cards). The 1984 change in copy right reflected the change in the cover, now in black with the Juggler on it. All of the other translations, Spanish, Portuguise, Italian etc, made sure to reference Arts et Metiers Graphiques in their editions. Why? Because the permission for the translations had to be obtained through Arts et Metiers Graphiques and not some distant relative of Paul Marteau. The actual text in French, never changed, even the mistakes were passed on to later editions. How do I know? Because I have them. So no, the text in French no longer has any copy right nor does the cover image from 1949 (the same in 1981).

Return to “Tarot de Marseille”