This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Interesting TdM Website

Discussion of the symbolism, history and how to read with the Marseilles
testpattern
Seer

Interesting TdM Website

Post by testpattern »

I wanted to share this link because I found this series of essays very interesting. The large part have been translated into English, but there are a few that are French only.

https://www.3x7.org/fr/

The scholarship here seems to be of a very high level, and whoever is doing this seems to have access to some very cool libraries. And there is some very thought-provoking coverage of Neoplatonist currents in the Tarot de Marseille. That being said, (with apologies, should the author be among our number), the conclusions are kind of bonkers. The idea that the Marseille is a secret Neoplatonist textbook designed by Botticelli is the result of some quite astonishing leaps of pareidoliac logic. Whoever did this is way smarter than I am , but I do think they've gone off the path and deep in the weeds. That said, there is some quite solid research here, and some of the image correspondences are quite striking. And I think that sometimes grand edifices made of confirmation bias and personal obsession can be quite as compelling as historical truth.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Interesting TdM Website

Post by Joan Marie »

testpattern wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 14:18 I think that sometimes grand edifices made of confirmation bias and personal obsession can be quite as compelling as historical truth.
What an interesting take!

Reminds me of that line from John Waters' film, Pecker,
Thanks to my little sister Chrissy for teaching me life is nothing if you are not obsessed.
Little Chrissy
Little Chrissy

But seriously, that is a really strange and interesting website.
Thanks for sharing it!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

The author is Christophe Poncet, who produced an edition of the Conver deck recently.
testpattern
Seer

Post by testpattern »

That's a beautiful deck, and as I said, he's very erudite.

Return to “Tarot de Marseille”