This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

TdM Queen of Cups and the 'Little Window'

Discussion of the symbolism, history and how to read with the Marseilles
Stan K. Beest
Seer

TdM Queen of Cups and the 'Little Window'

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Hello All!

Wondering if anyone has insight into this:
For a long while, I have been fascinated (and puzzled) by the fact that some Tarot de Marseille Decks - including a few very early ones and also much later ones - feature a small 'window' in the upper left corner of the QUEEN OF CUPS Card. I've assumed that it was a misinterpretation of the awning that rises over the top of the Queen's chair on the right and out of the frame, then descends again on the left back into the frame making the end of the awning visible. However, now I am not so sure. In one of the earliest TdM examples, the Jean Noblet of 1659, what appears to be an awning (or something) does arise behind the Queen, but it is not exactly clear what it is. Yet in the upper left, it does seem to be the end of some kind of fabric-like material, with a distinctive curl at the edge (see photo, attached). So I assume this is the continuation of the material on the right?
But, in the Jean Dodal of 1701, that thing on the upper left sure looks like a window (or ornament?), and it is definitely not the same as what is on the right behind the Queen (it is not even the same colors).
In the Francois Heri 1730 there is something behind her but nothing on the left. The 1760 Nicolas Conver sure looks like the continuation of an awning though (as do most of the TdM's from around this time).
Now the Johann Hes Tarot of Germany 1750 seems to clearly show a window, with what appears to be a grate or something. Definitely no relation to the fabric on the right.
The Giacomo Zoni from 1780 is again indistinct, with neither the left nor right parts being clearly definable.
Then the Stefano Vergnano (1830) & Giuseppe Lando (1832) Tarots look to be obviously glass windows, with panes. The Lando even shows the entire window sash, including the top edge!
I am including photos of all these mentioned here. I'm curious if anyone has noted this before and done any research, or at least has a theory?

Thanks,
Stan K. Beest
Attachments
Zoni 1780
Zoni 1780
Vergnano 1830
Vergnano 1830
Noblet 1659
Noblet 1659
Lando 1832
Lando 1832
Lando 1832.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Hes 1750
Hes 1750
Heri 1730
Heri 1730
Dodal 1701
Dodal 1701
Conver 1760
Conver 1760
A-M
Seer

Re: TdM Queen of Cups and the 'Little Window'

Post by A-M »

Hi Stan, interesting observation!
I am currently studying the major arcana and have not looked into the minor arcana yet, but based on what I have found in the major arcana, these are my thoughts...
The arcanum (mystery, secret) of the tarot is our possibility of realising the divine through a kundalini-awakening. This esoteric knowledge could not be openly communicated in that time. Ex-communication was a serious possibility and in the worst case you could end up in flames...
Already in the Visconti decks kundalini symbolism can be found.
On my website I have posted my findings.

When I look at the Queen of Cups, this is what I see. The kundalini travels from the pelvis up through the spine and when it reaches the head it travels along the back of the head to the crown, and then forward in a circle, ending at the pineal gland in the middle of the head.
This was not only known in the east, but also in ourt part of the world. Alchemists knew it, for example.
The pathway of the kundalini looks like the staff of a pope or bisschop. This is no coincidence. In ancient times the staff of high religious figures symbolise their spiritual authorithy: they have completed a proces of kundalini awakening. (in theory, nowadays this is not the fact in most cases of course)
db5e5add254f9b8fcfa2408265edf0cb.jpg

When the kundalini has reached the pineal gland the brain fluids are transformed and man experiences God. This is what the cup stands for in the tarot: the Holy Grail.
Below you see the Valet de Coupe of Nicolas Conver with symbolism that confirms my interpreation. A shawl runs over his back (the spine with the kundalini) and connects the cup to the spine.
Nicholas Conver.jpg
Nicholas Conver.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Based on this my take on the Queen of Cups is that the drapery is supposed to symbolise the kundalini pathway. On almost all cards the staff of the queen is connected to the drapery, this is no coincidence IMO. The drapery is supposed to go over her head and then hang in front of her head.
Conver and Noblet got it right. The rest have interpreted the drapery as a window. They were probably not aware of the deeper meaning of the drapery. Chosson and Pierre Madenie also knew (below).
François Chosson.jpg
Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709.jpg
Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Stan:

the "drapery" you see depicted is part of the throne canopy, otherwise known as a "Baldachin".
Some were bronze, others were cloth.

Ancient Tarots of Bologna aka The Giacomo Zoni Tarot.........my pet name for it is the Zany Zoni :lol:
It's a really charming deck. I have the Lo Scarabeo version.......as you well know, Il Meneghello published one also,
I believe it's the earlier sought-after edition with the fold-over cover with the ribbon ties.

On the Zoni Tarot, that looks to me like part of the canopy, not a window.....the same with the Dodal....
is that a hand-stenciled Dodal by Flornoy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldachin

baldachin 2.jpg

baldachin-throne.jpg

baldachin.jpg
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

She's holding a ciborium. I believe that is the aumbry hanging on the wall (where the ciborium is kept).

Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

fire cat pickles wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:45 She's holding a ciborium. I believe that is the aumbry hanging on the wall (where the ciborium is kept).
the only case where I would disagree about the aumbry is with the Hes, 1750. It looks to me like a medieval "crown" or "bullseye" glass window.

bullseye glass window.jpg

bullseye glass.jpeg
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Wow, fascinating stuff! I'm so glad that there are folks out there with such extensive knowledge and insight into the late medieval/early renaissance settings in which most of these historical Tarot images are placed. I believe both the 'Baldachin' and 'Aumbry' theories are correct, depending on the specific Tarot - although the Lando sure looks like a window to me, with 6 panes of glass and a full 4-sided frame depicted. And the Hes does indeed look like a "crown" glass window.
The DODAL I used here is from my TSR (Sullivan Hismans) restoration copy - though sadly not the hand-painted one...

Return to “Tarot de Marseille”