This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

When exactly was the Noblet Tarot made?

Discussion of the symbolism, history and how to read with the Marseilles
EastTarot
Seeker

When exactly was the Noblet Tarot made?

Post by EastTarot »

I came across this map this map of Paris by Jouvin de Rochefort, dated 1672 which clearly shows the area that where the Noblet says it's from as just farmland.

We know that the Noblet was made in the the Faubour Saint-Germain district of Paris because it says so on the deck. But I think the assumed 1650 date is incorrect, especially when we look at the maps from that time. (Please zoom into the map, the area is on the left hand side).

Faubour Saint-Germain was just farmland back in 1672. The only structure was the Invalides which Louis XIV started in 1670. The area only gets more developed around 100 years later.

I really doubt that the Noblet was made in 1650.

https://i.redd.it/o1qh3se665751.jpg

Edit: attaching a link because the map image file is too big.
Papageno
Sage

Re: When exactly was the Noblet Tarot made?

Post by Papageno »

EastTarot wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 14:59 We know that the Noblet was made in the the Faubour Saint-Germain district of Paris because it says so on the deck.
But I think the assumed 1650 date is incorrect, especially when we look at the maps from that time.
Are you referring to the edition by Jean-Claude Flornoy?
I don't own it so I have no access to the text.

Just asking, because I have the Joseph H. Peterson BNF reproduction, and he dates this deck at around 1659.

Purchase Jean Noblet / Joseph H. Peterson

The above link is legitimate btw.

I have to dig out my copy of that deck to read the description.

What's 9 years give or take :lol: , but thanks for the map and giving us something to think about.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Return to “Tarot de Marseille”