This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

CBD?

Discussion of the symbolism, history and how to read with the Marseilles
Scanner
Seer

CBD?

Post by Scanner »

Hi and sorry, because it might be a stupid question.
I found a Tarot de Marseille styled deck called "CBD".
I looked everywhere in the Internet what CBD means, but couldn't find an answer.
Can anyone help?
Thank you
Diana
Sage

Re: CBD?

Post by Diana »

Not a stupid question at all. And it has nothing to do with cannabis! I only recently came back to Tarot after a few years complete break, and I came back to discover this new deck (which I haven't explored at all yet).

It refers to the Yoan Ben Dov's tarot deck. He sadly passed away a few years ago. Here's the website :

http://www.cbdtarot.com/

I don't know what the C stands for by the way.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Marigold wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 09:24 I don't know what the C stands for by the way.
Conver
Scanner
Seer

Post by Scanner »

Thank you very much Guys,
It helped me a lot :-)
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

_R_ wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 10:28
Conver
Ah, naturally. The one and only. (insert bowing down with reverence emoji here).

Thank you !!!
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Beautiful Marseille with a generous author too. Lots of freebies in his site. I'll get it before the year ends along with some good Marseille books.
Start strong
End stronger
Scanner
Seer

Post by Scanner »

Hi all,

did anybody notice that the coin suit is the only suit in CBD tarot which is not numbered?
The cups are numbered although it's easy to count them. It's more difficult to count the Swords and Batons..

Wonder what Conver exactly thought he is doing..
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Scanner wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 16:15 Hi all,

did anybody notice that the coin suit is the only suit in CBD tarot which is not numbered?
The cups are numbered although it's easy to count them. It's more difficult to count the Swords and Batons..

Yes, Tchalaï made this observation in her book and encouraged students of TdM to reflect on this as a “meaningful detail.”
testpattern
Seer

Post by testpattern »

_R_ wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 06:02
Scanner wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 16:15
Yes, Tchalaï made this observation in her book and encouraged students of TdM to reflect on this as a “meaningful detail.”
I come down on the agnostic side of "meaningful details" personally, but I love that tension in the TdM between the possibility of hidden knowledge and "mere" artistic idiosyncracies or even errors. It's perfectly possible that the numerals were left off by oversight, by aesthetic choice, or even by an overeager apprentice engraver taking away more wood than had been planned, but it has become codified as one of the strangenesses of the deck that is pregnant with meaning. Ultimately it doesn't matter why it was printed that way in the first place because what matters is the card under our hands. But I love the perpetually unanswered question.
Maskelyne
Seer

Post by Maskelyne »

Scanner wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 16:15 Hi all,

A quick riffle through a few other TdMs shows that the un-numbered coins didn't originate with Conver. Earlier Type II decks from Pierre Madenié, and Francois Heri also have un-numbered coins, as well as the Type I Dodal. The Noblet's pips are irregularly numbered throughout.
testpattern
Seer

Post by testpattern »

I like the idea of coins being non-numerated to remind us about something to do with money. But whether that is to not worry so much about what we have, or to carefully count each penny, I am not sure!
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

As I recall, the distinction being made, in the case of the suits numbered to the sides, is that of looking from the inside out, and from the outside in.
Scanner
Seer

Post by Scanner »

testpattern wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 14:00 I like the idea of coins being non-numerated to remind us about something to do with money. But whether that is to not worry so much about what we have, or to carefully count each penny, I am not sure!
Wish I could give you 3 thumbs up for that <3

Return to “Tarot de Marseille”