This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

STRENGTH Card

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
Stan K. Beest
Seer

STRENGTH Card

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Hello,
Not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this, but I have a question specifically about the Strength Card in one of my RWS Decks.
I have a University Books RWS Tarot in a 2-part maroon slipcase, so it is presumably from the very first run in 1960. It even has 2 ad cards - one for the deck ($5.00) and one for the "Pictorial Key" Book ($7.50). And the pink Ankh backs of course. But strangely the Strength card is badly misprinted: one of the colors is completely offset so there is a double image. I cannot find any info about this online, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this. If this question is way off base for this particular forum, please let me know, and my apologies.

Thanks,
Stan K. Beest
JudyK
Sybil

Re: STRENGTH Card

Post by JudyK »

Stan K. Beest wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 18:59 It even has 2 ad cards - one for the deck ($5.00)...
I'll give you $5.00 for it!!! ✋😉
But I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I have a generally badly printed copy of it from its "Carol Publishing" days 👎 (all I could afford 😊).
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Actually, I just dug mine out to have a look at the Strength card and it's out of alignment, too. Is yours like this or worse? Maybe that's just how they be. 🙁
Attachments
20210226_212201.jpg
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Oh no, mine is much worse!
Check it out:
Attachments
DSC04742.JPG
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

😱
OMG! That's awful. Something really went wrong there. How did that get past quality control?? I'm so sorry. Were you aware of that, umm, "problem" before you bought the deck?
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Sadly no. But it probably explains why the price was not too out-of-control. Not cheap though!
It looks like the result of eating the wrong mushrooms...
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Yet all the other cards in the deck are perfect, so go figure
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Stan K. Beest wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 13:16 Sadly no. But it probably explains why the price was not too out-of-control. Not cheap though!
It looks like the result of eating the wrong mushrooms...
I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it. Have you checked eBay for single "replacement" cards? There's a seller on there now, located in the US, that has a Strength available - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/University-B ... 2859147908
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

Thanks for the tip!

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”