This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

8 of Cups

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
Scanner
Seer

8 of Cups

Post by Scanner »

Hi!

We see on the 8 of cups card a man is leaving the bank of a river. Probably the scene takes place at night during full moon (?) phase.

Did anybody of you wonder how this man could cross the river when there is no bridge?
If he did, how did he manage it?

And is the riverbank with the cups maybe a kind of sandbeach?
Or is it a riverbank at all?
Nemia
Sage

Re: 8 of Cups

Post by Nemia »

Marcus Katz speculates in his Secrets of the Rider-Waite-Smith that at the time of painting the card, the artist had the opportunity to watch a lunar eclipse, and that this is what she's depicting here. I don't know. It's possible.

I see something else here - a river passing, ford, how do you call it in English? The man is walking from smooth area towards more difficult terrain, and he crossed a river in order to do so. I see waterfalls in the background, which means the man is walking against the flow of the water.

It's a person that turned their back to pleasure, easy life, the flow of their emotions. A bit like Hercules, they decide to climb upwards, towards hardship, loneliness and challenges.

The decision to do so is new and fresh - that's my association when I see the red boots and cloak. The person didn't put much distance between the tempting cups of joy and pleasure and him/herself. We'll have to see how long the determination lasts. It's a long climb, and a long journey into the unknown. A card of courage born from deep dissatisfaction.

Astrologically, we have here Saturn ruling Pisces. Pisces would go with the water's flow, but Saturn forces them to seek a more difficult path. Saturn is darkness, pressure, a strong will, and melancholy.

All this sits really weirdly with Hod, the sephira of the cards numbered Eight. I guess that's why neither Thoth nor RWS give even a little nod to Hod ;-) Logical Hod, ruled by Mercury, would solve the problems weighing on this person's heart in a much more verbal, active manner. But Saturn hovers too strongly here, there's no room for Mercury.

That's how I see this card. Getting his feet a bit wet wouldn't deter this person from his/her decision.

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”