This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

XII - The Hanged Man (RSW)

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
TheLoracular
Sage

XII - The Hanged Man (RSW)

Post by TheLoracular »

Voluntarily enduring hardship for the opportunity to spiritually evolve is a weird concept. I wish I was personally better at it. Getting in touch with my personal inner Hanged Man needs to be a goal for the upcoming year. I too easily get trapped in my own fears to let myself trust in the universe to let myself have the kind of transcendental, indicatory experience this card represents to me.

Its a beautiful card with a figure positioned in mystical, mysterious ways. With the divine nimbus around his head symbolizing the divine, the blue tunic of water/the subconscious, the red leggings being his active intent and serene posture? I can see that the Hanged Man is poised so serenely, having the experience of "received knowledge" that is the literal meaning of Kabbalah as a word and concept.

In a reading, the Hanged Man often represents that it is time to pause and patiently let events unfold without further intervention. It can also mean that the need to make personal sacrifices for a greater good is at hand. I have it come up a lot in self-readings when I'm feeling anxious (especially about things outside my control) to gently remind me to ground, center, and do a little self-care before I say/do anything with or for other people.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
A-M
Seer

Re: XII - The Hanged Man (RSW)

Post by A-M »

To me the colors red en blue of his clothing represent the merger of the male en female energies (inner duality).
Hanging on one leg is a confirmation of this to me (2=1).

The detail I like is his light/white hair, despite of his young face.
I interpret this as a purification of his mind/thinking.

https://www.anne-marie.eu/en/tarot-12-the-hanged-man/

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”