This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

V - The Hierophant (RWS)

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
TheLoracular
Sage

V - The Hierophant (RWS)

Post by TheLoracular »

Thesis - Antithesis - Synthesis
Cardinal - Fixed - Mutable
Yang - Yin - Tao
Magician- High Priestess - Fool
Emperor - Empress - Hierophant

My brain thinks in triplicities and I cannot unthink that way. I watched a YouTube video yesterday where the tarot content creator said that the Hierophant is the first card in the Major Arcana to not draw from the archetype of people but represent social structures or simply human institutions themselves. Authority, family, church, community, a court system, a board of directors. It is a conduit of law, tradition, custom, knowledge & wisdom being delivered to those seeking it with respect and faith.

Upright, it represents the best that an authority figure, church leader, coven leader, head-of-household, judge, etc., can do for those they serve and protect by decree, prayer, blessing and other acts of power. Reversed, something is challenging or obstructing the rightful application of law, justice, mercy, etc.

There's a lot of symmetry in this card. The pillars are identical in shape and color and match the Hierophant's own throne in color (the whiteness of purity of intention). His place between the pillars helps me with my belief that the Hierophant is the mutable, mediating force between the Emperor and Empress. Yet the Hierophant is also very much a polar opposite of the Fool, Authority vs. Freedom.

The red robes and red carpet represent the passion of intent. There is quite a bit of gold in this card, displayed not only with the hierophant's elaborate headpiece and triple cross but the keys and the Y-shaped trim on the acolyte's robes. Gold is the color of divinity and spiritual leadership in RWS.

The robes of the two acolytes differ but in a subtle way. Again, we see the red roses and white lilies found in The Magician to reinforce dualism being synthesized into wholeness.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”