This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

XIX - The Sun (RWS)

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
TheLoracular
Sage

XIX - The Sun (RWS)

Post by TheLoracular »

It is always darkest before the dawn and 2020 has been such a dark year. But when I drew this card today, the Powers That Be reminded me that we reap what we so. So let me throw out some discussion about what, to me, is the most inspiring and joyous Major Arcana in the RWS deck.

There are a lot of solar based archetypes out there. At one extreme, you have the Patriarch as conqueror-king or despot. But I rarely encounter vibes about those aspects of the sun when --this-- card pops out, especially upright. I see that naked little child on the white horse as the embodiment of joy, exhaltation, innocence, and the triumph of Life, Love, Light as a trinity. That long red banner (red the color of passionate intent) is almost too big for the sun child to carry: it is a kind of power that they are going to have to grow into a bit but that is okay. There's time.

The sun itself has two different styles of way to convey archetypal dualism. Right now, the sun child is riding their white horse (the purity of purpose) in a walled garden but we don't know if they are about to canter through a gate into the bigger world. I like to think they are. And I'm really excited for them and whatever adventure they are about to start.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”