This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

XVII - The Star (RWS)

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
TheLoracular
Sage

XVII - The Star (RWS)

Post by TheLoracular »

A card that I feels has so many intriguing elements to me. The central 8-pointed star is the Masonic Blazing Star . I am not well-versed at all in that tradition's lore but the link I provided seems solid. in general this card leaves me with a feeling of inclusion and completion. A total of eight eight-pointed stars has even more esoteric meaning to it but its not something I can rattle off this morning. I have always been intruiged about the placement of the one in the far left bottom corner just over the mountain. It brings to my mind the Star of Bethlehem for some reason.

The Star and Temperance are two cards that I don't always see a lot of archetypal difference in. I think its very subtle and nuanced. I've decided that Temperance relates more to practical and action-based matters and everything getting alchemically infused is already there inside us. But the Star? She is working on an even more mystical/spiritual level. If Temperance is healing myself, then the Star is a form of tikkune תיקון‎ and the healing of humanity and our quantum world.

I see The Star come up a lot in readings where the querent is already feeling hopeful, already working towards their goal and just needs some confirmation that they are doing the right things at the right time and place.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Parzival
Seer

Re: XVII - The Star (RWS)

Post by Parzival »

Interesting look at the RWS Star, with Temperance, both as healing, the Star for humanity, Temperance for the individual. In addition, it seems to me, Temperance is about finding moderation, while the Star is about inspiration. Both belong together as guides to Self-transformation and forward progress on the path to the Good or to the One (however one sees the ultimate goal).
The 8-pointed Star pictures the goddess Ishtar who calls us to take on embodiment and to take courage in living one's life. She reveals the beauty of things, as with music, poetry, fine arts, nature. She awakens us with serenity of awareness. Her light leads us on lovingly, does not scorch or burn. Oswald Worth goes into all this in The Tarot Of The Magicians, much, much more than my brief considerations suggest. For Paul Foster Case in The Tarot, the 8-pointed Star is "cosmic radiant energy" that pours through the universe through suns and stars-- I think he means that the Star is behind and within all the shining stars of astronomy, not just a great star in the sky! ( For him, the seven lesser stars are the chakras, the alchemical elements, and the astrological planets.) Much to contemplate beyond only seeing. So, this Star truly is infinitely meaningful, a feast for Self-realization.

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”