This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

XX - Judgement (RWS)

Here we discuss the workhorse of Tarot, The Rider-Waite-Smith deck.
Forum rules
Questions and topics specific to the Rider Waite Smith deck are discussed here.
RivkahSmith
Seeker

XX - Judgement (RWS)

Post by RivkahSmith »

Hey everyone! Let's look at the Judgement card. I have always loved this card because, to me, it's when the truth comes out. It's a revelation, whether welcome or not.

Let's look at individual symbols. (Pick one or a few or all of them to comment on!)
  • Angel
  • Red wings
  • Trumpet and Banner
  • Mountains and Landscape
  • Grey People
  • Boxes/tombs
I'm just going to point out some interesting things I have noticed lately.

Trumpet and Banner: I got all side-tracked on this red cross, wondering when the Geneva convention started. And what struck me is that people wearing the red cross were not to be harmed. All soldiers acknowledged that healers hold a special place and that even their enemies had the right to be healed. It reminds me of any story where people lay down their arms and realize their common humanity.

Water (landscape): Everyone is standing in water! I have a lot of thoughts about water and how it shows up in different cards. This makes me think about the High Priestess and here I go on a wild esoteric rant.

I really see the Majors as a cycle that starts with the Magician as the protagonist, not the Fool. And the first challenge or step he faces is the High Priestess. The Magician, I would say, is the spark that begins any magical journey. "I made something happen!" The High Priestess is the mystery behind that moment. How did it happen? Why? ETC. And, in my mind-canon, the Judgement is actually the final message, realizing the big truth behind everything.

So what is the final message of Judgement? I have always seen it as being "we are all the same." Not black, not white, but grey. The people have moved behind the veil of the High Priestess and are standing in the water. The veil of our bodies, our world, of molecules and DNA, has been lifted. Spiritually, we are all connected. The water, to me, is the collective subconscious. People who haven't had a psychic experience can't fathom how psychic phenomena could work. But others feel we are all connected on this invisible plane! Water is so unifying: it's in all of us, and it's healing and nourishing.

I hope that wasn't too rambly! Thanks for letting me post!
Diana
Sage

Re: XX - Judgement (RWS)

Post by Diana »

RivkahSmith wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 22:41 Hey everyone! Let's look at the Judgement card. I have always loved this card because, to me, it's when the truth comes out. It's a revelation, w

I really see the Majors as a cycle that starts with the Magician as the protagonist, not the Fool. And the first challenge or step he faces is the High Priestess. The Magician, I would say, is the spark that begins any magical journey. "I made something happen!" The High Priestess is the mystery behind that moment. How did it happen? Why? ETC. And, in my mind-canon, the Judgement is actually the final message, realizing the big truth behind everything.

That's a very Tarot of Marseilles take on this Arcanum.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
RivkahSmith
Seeker

Post by RivkahSmith »

Diana wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 11:42
That's a very Tarot of Marseilles take on this Arcanum.
Oh! Ok, thank you, I should look more into it.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

RivkahSmith wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 22:41 The High Priestess is the mystery behind that moment. How did it happen? Why? ETC. A
The difference being in the TdM is that the Papesse/High Priestess in the TdM is more the veil that the Bateleur/Magician has to pass through before starting on his journey. She's the guardian of the Way. Only the pure in heart and intention get past. The Bateleur/Magician sets out on in initiatory journey from which there is no turning back. Once he passes behind her, the way can only be forward all the way to 21.

The TdM Papesse/Hight Priestess is a bit like a Sphinx. She maybe even ask three questions before letting the Bateleur, i.e. you and me or anyone else who presents themselves before her, pass through. A bit like the Bridge of Death scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D7hFHfLEyk
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Diana wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 22:09
The TdM Papesse/Hight Priestess is a bit like a Sphinx.
brilliant :o

thank you so much for that moment of enlightenment.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Judgement was a card that scared and confused me as a teen tarot reader at the beginning of my esoteric journey. I think it and the Hierophant were the last of the Major Arcana for me to have my "AHA!" moment of deeper knowledge and understanding about.

Now I can see that the archangel's hair is on fire: the yellow and red are divine flames. Red in the RWS deck symbolizes to me the concept of yank/activity/dynamic energy. The archangel's wings are red but they wear a light blue robe. Grey is not a color used for many figures (or robes) in RSW. As soon as I realized that both the clouds above and the people below were the same shade? I finally "AHA'ed" and understood that these were not corpses; these were spirits and something exciting, nothing to be scared or sad about, was commencing.

The man, woman, and child are standing in very specific esoteric poses that represent the Yod-Osiris-Masculine (intentionally the right), Heh-Isis-Feminine (intentionally on the left), Vau-Horus-Nonbinary (intentionally in the center). Their arm gestures were part of GD and other esoteric group rituals.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Amethyst
Seer

Post by Amethyst »

I have been cracking my head about this card for some while now. I started learning by reading on several websites and YouTube videos but I felt it could go to different points.
I am on a path of self-discovery for a while now and I honestly feeling that the Tarot is working for me. I am only learning since June/July this year, and I am making some progress.
I have had a recent experience that has correlated to a set of episodes into my love life and my self-discovery. Other cards that have come up many times are: ace of swords, the page of pentacles, to name a few. I have been on a journey of self-discovery consisting of a lot of joy but also many tears. Pealing of the many layers that causes blockages preventing myself being authentic. Things are becoming clearer, as I do not clarity of mind and truth.
Now the symbolism.
I have had a relationship where I have been conforming and adjusting to this person. Where I already had picked up red flags, yet ignored my intuition. Believing that I might change this person, or heal him in some way. And that I was lovesick that had clouded my judgement. During this process, I gave and gave, and adjusted. Ignoring some of very vital values and needs. I learned that I was living a lie, and mostly lying to myself.
Then something has happened a couple of days before where I had laid three cards with a tower and the hermit in it I belief a week or two earlier. The tower moment was when my ex said something to me when we were together that had shaken up something painful to me. After this tower moment I laid some cards on what to do, then this card came up with a page of pentacles for me. He has some other cards.
The angel, here the Angel Gabriel symbolizes a wake-up call. In a way have a discerning look over him. He also symbolizes music, as music to me ignites life. Aliveness, healing and authenticity. I am a classical singer, and I studied classical music. His yellow hair is the third chakra or the solar plexus for fire energy, aliveness, and life itself. As is his trumpet. What struck me today is that the woman on the right also has yellow hair. In some way I identified herself with myself for some reason. The families and other people coming out of their coffins as if they are arising from the dead. To me as if arising from a time where I literally feeling stuck in a box. A box where I trying to fit in with whomever desires my compliance. The nakedness to me symbolizes the inner truth, no masks that covering up all the façades. Being your own nude self. And that that is ok. It has some vulnerability to it. But the angel is saying that it is time to take of the mask. There is no more time of living inauthentic. You have gone through a period of death, like in the death card, and other majors before this card (whether you like it or not). It is time to get up and live in your truth. This is my interpretation, however, this was for a love spread. It could mean something else in a another reading. However, the fact is that it is a wake-up call.
“Do not be afraid of your difficulties.Do not wish you could be in other circumstances than you are. For when you have made the best of an adversity, it becomes the stepping stone to a splendid opportunity.”
― H.P. Blavatsky

“Before the soul can see, the Harmony within must be attained, and fleshly eyes be rendered blind to all illusion.”
― Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, The Voice of the Silence

Return to “The Rider Waite Smith Tarot”