This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Bigcartel Historical Decks Store

Discussions on the history, symbolism and how to read with the The Sola-Busca, Etteilla, Minchiate, Visconti-Sforza, and other decks from the early days of cartomancy. (TdM has it's own forum)
Amoroso
Sage

Bigcartel Historical Decks Store

Post by Amoroso »

Has anybody here bought any deck from The Cartomancer or The Game of Hope Bigcartel shops? I think they're sister stores. How are the quality of the decks? Did your transaction go smoothly, was customer service competent, and were there no problems in the delivery? Haven't bought from the site before so I'd like to know what to expect.
Start strong
End stronger
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Bigcartel Historical Decks Store

Post by Charlie Brown »

I have not purchased from them, but they have a good reputation. Yes, they are related. One is run the mother, one by the daughter, I think. The mother posts here from time to time and I've also corresponded with her on another matter. I have not handled one of their decks, but I do know a gentleman named Le Fanu who allowed them to reproduce one of his antique decks. He was given several choices of stock/finish options to select for what their final product would be. Le Fanu seems to have disappeared from the internet as of late, but any association with him provides instant credibility in my book. I would not hesitate to order.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Also, I recall recently that, on another forum, someone bought the Petite Oracle des Dames and was very satisfied.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

May I ask which decks you're considering?
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Charlie Brown. I like the Papus, Vandenborre, and the Daveluy. Still looking at options.
Start strong
End stronger
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I believe BreathingSince72 has a Vandenborre from another publisher and, as a deck, she loves it. I myself keep coming back to a couple of their Lenormands and, possibly, the Dodal. If and when I ever order, I imagine I'll throw in a set of Wirth Majors.
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

Looks like she bought the Vandenborre Bacchus from CollecTarot. They no longer seem to have a copy.

Yup, the decks in the two stores look tempting. Regarding the Wirth, if I get a hankering for it I'd get their 1926. The golden version that LoS recently released seems glittery and garish though it just might be the online pics.
Start strong
End stronger
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

This is waking up an old thread but I want to give a very good review for The Cartomancer and bring them to the attention of anyone looking for replica decks.

I purchased the Oswald Wirth Tarot Majors, 1889 & 1926 last month (both editions) and they came quickly and of very good quality. There are other decks there that I have my eye on. :)
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

Thank you for this update. I was unaware of this source. I will add them to my watchlist. I am a holding out hope that someday a company such as this offers a reproduction of the eighteenth century Grandprêtre Tarot that is featured in Stuart Kaplan's The Encyclopedia of Tarot, Volume II, pages 336 thru 337. Although only the Majors exist, I've always thought this deck warranted special attention due to its many unique features, such as the unusual naming and ordering of the cards (particularly The Fool appearing in card XV), as well as the unusual assortment of animals appearing in card XVIII.

Return to “The Historical Decks”