This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

2 Rare and Remarkable Historical Decks

Discussions on the history, symbolism and how to read with the The Sola-Busca, Etteilla, Minchiate, Visconti-Sforza, and other decks from the early days of cartomancy. (TdM has it's own forum)
Papageno
Sage

2 Rare and Remarkable Historical Decks

Post by Papageno »

a VERY rare gem from the British Museum, reproduced by Marco Benedetti, sadly I had to turn it down:

https://www.facebook.com/MarcoBenedetti ... =3&theater

Sullivan Hismans upcoming Tarot de Rouen by Adam C. de Hautot:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TarotSheetRevival/posts/
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
JudyK
Sybil

Re: 2 Rare and Remarkable Historical Decks

Post by JudyK »

Oh my! The Bolognese is charming, but I could definitely go for the de Hautot! Definitely certain I couldn't afford it, though. 😉
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

JudyK wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 18:50 Oh my! The Bolognese is charming, but I could definitely go for the de Hautot! Definitely certain I couldn't afford it, though. 😉
Same! The de Hautot is in the public domain but I would want a restored copy like the one being worked on. However, here is a great book (completely in the public domain) that contains at least the plates and those of other related decks. The History of Playing Cards (I think that is the translation) itself is in French so I've never read it but just looking at the pictures made for a happy afternoon for me. It makes me wish I had the money to be a bonafide collector with a shelf of decks like the de Hautot.

Les cartes à jouer du XIV au XX siècle
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

TheLoracular wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 15:22 ... here is a great book (completely in the public domain) that contains at least the plates and those of other related decks. The History of Playing Cards...
Les cartes à jouer du XIV au XX siècle
Quite a tome - 1018 pages! Love the colour prints, and all the etchings. Plus the fact that it was produced before the "modern" tarots came on the scene. 😉 Thank you for sharing. x
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias

Return to “The Historical Decks”