This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Temperance and symbolism

Discussions on the history, symbolism and how to read with the The Sola-Busca, Etteilla, Minchiate, Visconti-Sforza, and other decks from the early days of cartomancy. (TdM has it's own forum)
A-M
Seer

Temperance and symbolism

Post by A-M »

Aloha dear tarot friends, :-)

I have finished my blog on Temperance and like to share it with you:
https://www.anne-marie.eu/en/tarot-14-temperance/

Amongst others, it includes my take on the intriguing Alessandro Sforza card: why is the woman sitting on a deer?
Alessandro Sforza - temperantia.png
I look forward to your comments! :-)
Parzival
Seer

Re: Temperance and symbolism

Post by Parzival »

These are beautiful images that show how Temperance is about the rising of the kundalini through the energy centers-- and the history of it rises (no pun intended) from the Renaissance Visconti-Sforza to now, through many remarkable depictions. The Visconti-Sforza image shows an invisible field of energy or current between the two vessels. The woman does not seem to be looking there, but to her lower left. The woman stands between two mountains behind her. She seems to be doing something magical, not just pouring a liquid down into a container. Her positioning seems mysterious to me. Years ago, some well known Tarot historians argued that there was painting of liquid between the vessels that disappeared over time. All I see are golden stars on dark blue, as if Heaven hides there (poetic expression of it). Thank you for the research, including the stunning images down the centuries.

Return to “The Historical Decks”